Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Or it could be a rando shitposting for twitter cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My favorite air to air kill from Desert Storm was the F-111 getting one.

So I guess if the onboard whizbang tech is good enough at discriminating targets, you could literally lob way up high in the general vicinity of enemy helos and let it just home in?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The last generation of gun cruisers were fully expecting to use their 6-inch guns in the AA role, so it's not without precedent.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Madurai posted:

The last generation of gun cruisers were fully expecting to use their 6-inch guns in the AA role, so it's not without precedent.

Makes sense, as much as guys manning 40mm Bofors guns or tons of .50's looked good for news reel video, it was the 5" DP gun paired with radar gunnery that really knocked the poo poo out of Japanese air attacks latter in the war, wasn't it?

I think I'm still erring towards the assessment that the video in question is a long range SAM coming in from above though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arrath posted:

Makes sense, as much as guys manning 40mm Bofors guns or tons of .50's looked good for news reel video, it was the 5" DP gun paired with radar gunnery that really knocked the poo poo out of Japanese air attacks latter in the war, wasn't it?

The VT fuse had a lot to do with that. But as I like to remind people, the 24 Betty's that hit the Guadalcanal landing force on the first day got chopped up by USN forces that didn't have the VT and barely had radar fire control.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hannibal Rex posted:

Or it could be a rando shitposting for twitter cred.

Well, that sure does look like an Excalibur detonation.

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66393949

Just another example of regular Russians ignoring the reality of the invasion and the destruction caused by it as long as they get to benefit - in this case, "cheap homes by the sea in Mariupol"

gently caress Putin and gently caress these people - we've all seen the pictures of the mass graves after Mariupol was captured last year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's a SAM; excalibur isn't growing its rounds to the size of a VW bus and GPS prox-killing helicopters mid-air.

That twitter account is just some random idiot who forgot that excalibur rounds shouldn't appear to be as long as a helicopter is tall and didn't seem to realize that SAMs don't just cruise in a straight line at their targets.

The potato quality video:

A Ka-52:

An excalibur round:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 6, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
as someone utterly unqualified to comment on what that specific munition is, it sure is impressive looking.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Zelenskyy signing a SCALP-EG. Note the Eiffel Tower-Tryzub mash-up. I assume this is a symbolic early delivery from France.
https://twitter.com/MilAviaUA/status/1688177061125369856

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Herstory Begins Now posted:

as someone utterly unqualified to comment on what that specific munition is, it sure is impressive looking.

I think it might be S-300. They are both humongous missiles and they have a gigantic warhead for a SAM (to compensate for how they are really not very agile and so cannot expect to hit very close to a maneuvering target), so when one targets something that's hovering in place and gets a bullseye hit, the explosion is rather excessive.

Another possibility is a patriot, but I think the patriot missiles they have are smaller.

The other good reason to think S-300 is that they are very low on missile stocks for them and there are no compatible western supply (as with Buk), which means that the launchers are much more expendable than their other heavy AA. A patriot or Buk battery lost is a battery less for the rest of the war, but a battery of S-300 isn't going to be shooting much anyway, so it's less scary to risk them on the frontlines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Could it be an artillery hit for true, but not some kind of elite super 360 noscope thing so much as "if you shoot a lot of artillery shells at an area, and there are helicopters hovering over it, you may eventually hit one"?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/clashreport/status/1688184372002725889

Russia's other bridge hit about an hour ago, sorry for birdsite

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Could it be an artillery hit for true, but not some kind of elite super 360 noscope thing so much as "if you shoot a lot of artillery shells at an area, and there are helicopters hovering over it, you may eventually hit one"?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nessus posted:

Wondering how many WWII planes were brought down by random artillery shells meant for ground targets. Probably low double digits?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Got to be highly ranked on the "Unluckiest way to die on a battlefield" list.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

large hands posted:

Looks like the video of the helicopter that got hit by Patriot in Russian airspace a while back

Wait, there's video of that? Was it confirmed it was Patriot that shot it down?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
AFAIK there's no video, but the Ukrainians claimed it a few days to a couple weeks later

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

jaete posted:

Wait, there's video of that? Was it confirmed it was Patriot that shot it down?

https://twitter.com/Shavghan/status/1657371248886796288?t=4MtcWndkM4QuyHMdxWiUxg&s=19

There was video at the time shot by someone who happened to be filming one of the mi8s. I recall someone posting some still frames showing a missile about the length of the mi-8 coming in from the front.

This was a day or two after the first storm shadow use and a lot of people were claiming trigger happy Russian AD, but Ukraine recently confirmed it was a patriot that got all four aircraft that day. I think they showed the launcher/command vehicle with the corresponding stencils on the side.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
crossposting a gbs post re a different ka-52 shootdown

weg posted:

The Americans spent millions perfecting an ejection seat while the Russians simply use the ground.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

crossposting a gbs post re a different ka-52 shootdown

Goddamn

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.thedailybeast.com/ukrainian-phone-scammers-allegedly-tricking-russians-into-torching-military-offices?ref=home

This is the weirdest loving war.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

We live in the alternate reality we were warned about. :catstare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

We did say at the outset that we cannot afford a babushka gap

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah, there’s no way that Russians would be protesting their sons being killed for Putin, it MUST be evil Ukrainian scammers (the sort we’re fighting to stop). This all makes perfect sense. Read no further into it.

That’s an order.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Madurai posted:

WE CANNOT ALLOW A BABUSHKA GAP

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We did say at the outset that we cannot afford a babushka gap

I'll be taking my victory lap now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Madurai posted:

I'll be taking my victory lap now.

And well deserved

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Remember that joke at the height of the war on terror that if the terrorists ever convinced a 90 year old lady to hide explosives in her wheelchair, we've already lost?

Welp :nallears: The MOST asymmetric warfare.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It wasn't ever a joke but any competent and motivated university chemistry student could do worse than any terrorist. Just that the competent sort tend to have reasons not to commit to Jihad with their lifes work.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

It wasn't ever a joke but any competent and motivated university chemistry student could do worse than any terrorist. Just that the competent sort tend to have reasons not to commit to Jihad with their lifes work.

Chemistry student? A disgruntled biology student could do way worse. Everyone is looking for explosives, nobody's looking for prions or viruses.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AlternateNu posted:

Remember that joke at the height of the war on terror that if the terrorists ever convinced a 90 year old lady to hide explosives in her wheelchair, we've already lost?

Welp :nallears: The MOST asymmetric warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vo_eZq_Qi4

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McGavin posted:

Chemistry student? A disgruntled biology student could do way worse. Everyone is looking for explosives, nobody's looking for prions or viruses.

It's way easier to make explosives through common lab chemicals than breed a virus.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's way easier to make explosives through common lab chemicals than breed a virus.

There’s nothing hard about bringing in a bunch of kindergartners to touch all the surfaces in a room.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

It wasn't ever a joke but any competent and motivated university chemistry student could do worse than any terrorist

Usually they just make drugs instead

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I think most people in this thread have easier access to ammonium nitrate, et al, than a bunch of unsupervised children. That's probably a good thing

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Soul Dentist posted:

I think most people in this thread have easier access to ammonium nitrate, et al, than a bunch of unsupervised children.

That sentence could be read two different ways.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kesper North posted:

Usually they just make drugs instead

drugs are a net plus to a bank account, terrorism and prison time are not.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

drugs are a net plus to a bank account, terrorism and prison time are not.

:hmmyes:

Soul Dentist posted:

I think most people in this thread have easier access to ammonium nitrate, et al, than a bunch of unsupervised children. That's probably a good thing

Ever been to a farm? They're full of ammonium nitrate AND unsupervised children! Why meth labs turn up on farms so much, too.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 9, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Stultus Maximus posted:

People will intentionally spread your bioweapon themselves if COVID is any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I feel like a lot of really bad things are really easy if you're bold enough. Full sized, fully loaded tanks of oxygen and acetylene can be acquired for a few hundred bucks if you have a vehicle with something resembling an enclosure for them