Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

Time for boutique VHS-rent-by-mail places to shine

I played so many obscure SNES games because the guy who ran a sewing machine repair shop was also a giant nerd who rented games after he was done with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skipping high school classes to smoke weed is probably a respectable strategy for actually learning math though.

DrankSinatra posted:

The amount of angry people explaining applications of high school math to someone with the username "Grassmannian" is sending me.

The joke explained.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ultrafilter posted:

Skipping high school classes to smoke weed is probably a respectable strategy for actually learning math though.

Only tangentially related, but one time in high school I got in a big argument with a friend because I asked our dealer for an 'eighth' of weed. "You're not from around here," he insisted, because it was actually called a 'half-quarter' and everyone in Toronto knew that. No man, I just know more than two fractions and like to be concise, I'm definitely "from around here."

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Mister Speaker posted:

Only tangentially related, but one time in high school I got in a big argument with a friend because I asked our dealer for an 'eighth' of weed. "You're not from around here," he insisted, because it was actually called a 'half-quarter' and everyone in Toronto knew that. No man, I just know more than two fractions and like to be concise, I'm definitely "from around here."

it's a three and a half

does Toronto actually say 'half-quarter'? what the gently caress

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

They literally did teach us compound interest in high school, and I never forgot about it because my first reaction was shock at how powerful it is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Some Canadian people just moved in next to me and I'm going to punch them for this poo poo. wtc.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ben shapino posted:

it's a three and a half

"I'll have a half-quarter of bagged milk."
Statements dreamed up by the utterly deranged

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Behold, the ad content propping up Elon’s Folly:

Also, this is possibly the worst possible advertisement for Temple University’s English department:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

euclid was wrong

i see at least 18 dimensions

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ben shapino posted:

In his defense, yeah. It's an embarrassingly common thing to say in this city. IME, it's one of the few things small-town Ontario has over us in T-dot; everywhere else I've been in this province people call it what it is, an eighth.

On the other hand, literally every other city I've been in Ontario all the potheads prefer to smoke bongs with wide downstems stuffed with the broken-off end of a cigarette then packed in with weed. You take it in one hit, and I've heard it often called (no joke) 'poppers.' It's the most degenerate thing ever, gently caress their good math.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Compound interest don’t mean poo poo if you got under $100 in it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

define bong

im imagining people wandering around downtown toronto desperately looking for cigarette butts to put into a pac nw version bong

e: one hitter or small steamroller? i can definitely see that so you dont have to put that on your lips

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Aug 9, 2023

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Compound interest is great, which is why banks are putting more hurdles in the way of poorer people to access it - my wife's savings account only accrues interest if you deposit a certain amount a month and don't make any withdrawals.

Sorry, we run out of money a lot just buying loving food so need to dip into the savings regularly, no interest for us.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Compound interest don’t mean poo poo if you got under $100 in it

It absolutely does, because it's how you then get hosed by a loan with compounding interest! That's what scared me

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hyperlynx posted:

It absolutely does, because it's how you then get hosed by a loan with compounding interest! That's what scared me

Ok, fine. It doesn’t mean poo poo for a savings account with a …

Y’know what? I named a friend’s AWD Chevy Astro Van “The Pussy Haunter,” and it’s made me laugh more than any tweets I’ve read in a while.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Compound interest is great, which is why banks are putting more hurdles in the way of poorer people to access it - my wife's savings account only accrues interest if you deposit a certain amount a month and don't make any withdrawals.

Sorry, we run out of money a lot just buying loving food so need to dip into the savings regularly, no interest for us.

Not to be a shill, but online banks can get you 4.5% APR on no minimum balance online accounts. I use Betterment.com personally. While not as readily accessible as a local bank, it's not bad for mid-long term stuff...

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

cult_hero posted:

Not to be a shill, but online banks can get you 4.5% APR on no minimum balance online accounts. I use Betterment.com personally. While not as readily accessible as a local bank, it's not bad for mid-long term stuff...

Betterment is currently at 4.75% actually.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I store my money in a bag under my bed and hoping they figure out mitosis.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
So, apparently Emenem is trending a bit, I wonder what's up?

https://twitter.com/PopularLiberal/status/1688926217968500741

But don't worry, the guy who Elon refused to ban for posting CSAM is here to talk some "truth"

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1688948944670232576

ultrafilter posted:

The joke explained.

I was promised an explanation and all I got was a headache.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Eminem is made speechless by Trump because he remembers that time he had to talk to the Secret Service after saying he wanted Bush Jr to die.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mister Speaker posted:

A lot of drug dealers are absolutely dead set on proving every negative stereotype about them true

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

snergle posted:

i really want to see some of the newer movies that have come out but i cant justify getting a lovely streamer like paramount + for a month to watch one movie.
Just torrent them. You don't need to figure out what service they're on in your location or how to access it, everything is just in the one convenient place. Click, download, watch.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Tiggum posted:

Just torrent them. You don't need to figure out what service they're on in your location or how to access it, everything is just in the one convenient place. Click, download, watch.

You mean, the simple process of go to website, find out website has been shut down, go to a different website, find out it's moved to a new domain but which one is secret, try typing a few country domains in, get in and feel like a hacker, look for the thing you want, find out it's not there, look for another thing you want, find that it's there but the first two seasons are individual downloads and the third is a DVD rip, notice that there's no seeders, look for the THIRD thing you want, torrent program needs to update, then you torrent it, and bing bang boom you're done?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It really isn’t hard to torrent most stuff

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

John Lee posted:

You mean, the simple process of go to website, find out website has been shut down, go to a different website, find out it's moved to a new domain but which one is secret, try typing a few country domains in, get in and feel like a hacker, look for the thing you want, find out it's not there, look for another thing you want, find that it's there but the first two seasons are individual downloads and the third is a DVD rip, notice that there's no seeders, look for the THIRD thing you want, torrent program needs to update, then you torrent it, and bing bang boom you're done?

Private trackers aren't hard to get into.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cult_hero posted:

Hey, thanks for shilling, I'll check it out :D

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

John Lee posted:

qBittorrent supports search plugins that make things dead easy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

John Lee posted:

This post feels like it's from a decade ago. These days, the vast majority of the time, it is just as easy as Tiggum suggests it is. Occasionally you run into this kind of trouble, but then again, you also often run into trouble with streaming services not having what you're looking for, dropping content they used to have, etc. If it's more than a few weeks to months old, and it's something reasonably popular, you can find a torrent for it, in high quality, with seeders. And you don't have your viewing interrupted by ads and you don't have to give money to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Paramount+, Disney+, and Amazon Prime. The only downside is that you have to download your media ahead of time instead of stream it.

If you do want instant gratification, quite a few TV shows can be "pirated" by simply searching for them on Dailymotion. That's less reliable but it's handy sometimes.

I'd maybe feel guilty about artists not getting paid, but as the current ongoing writer's and actor's strike has told us, they weren't really getting paid anyway.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Last time I torrented something it was like six months ago and it was basically exactly as described? Like, this isn't the place for a :filez: discussion, I know, but I don't know why torrenting is supposed to be easier now than it used to be, seems pretty much the same.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

get gud

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not that :filez: is easier, it's that not doing :filez: has gotten harder.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

In his defense, yeah. It's an embarrassingly common thing to say in this city. IME, it's one of the few things small-town Ontario has over us in T-dot; everywhere else I've been in this province people call it what it is, an eighth.

On the other hand, literally every other city I've been in Ontario all the potheads prefer to smoke bongs with wide downstems stuffed with the broken-off end of a cigarette then packed in with weed. You take it in one hit, and I've heard it often called (no joke) 'poppers.' It's the most degenerate thing ever, gently caress their good math.

Hippocrass posted:

So, apparently Emenem is trending a bit, I wonder what's up?

https://twitter.com/PopularLiberal/status/1688926217968500741

But don't worry, the guy who Elon refused to ban for posting CSAM is here to talk some "truth"

https://twitter.com/dom_lucre/status/1688948944670232576

I was promised an explanation and all I got was a headache.

This made me remember about the time I smoked with a guy who had a bong that was a figurine of one of the ICP dudes loving Eminem in the rear end. This would have been at the height of both their popularity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Lee posted:

Last time I torrented something it was like six months ago and it was basically exactly as described? Like, this isn't the place for a :filez: discussion, I know, but I don't know why torrenting is supposed to be easier now than it used to be, seems pretty much the same.

EZTV (for current TV shows) and TPB (for that plus everything else) haven't moved around or been difficult to find for years (despite what the Wikipedia article for the former may claim). If your government blocks either, you can use a VPN (a free, lovely one will do) or just change your DNS to 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 to get past. If you're looking for something unpopular or obscure you might have more trouble, but you're going to have trouble finding that on legitimate streaming services too.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

It's not that :filez: is easier, it's that not doing :filez: has gotten harder.

It's this. My wife has finally agreed to just let me get the shows she wants before she goes on a trip instead of complaining about Netflix not letting her watch content she's downloaded to her device when she's out of the country. Netflix got huge precisely because it was so convenient and provided good value with a huge library of films and shows. Now they mostly just have in-house content (cancelled after one season) and gatekeep the gently caress out of it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If TPB is banned in your country there are a lot of sites that list proxies, but note that a lot of proxies look like the real thing until you start downloading. Then you're not getting that 700 mb video, because the download has become not_a_virus_and_definitely_not_malware.exe.bat.scr with a less obvious name.

So basically like p2p from two decades ago :v:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

D-Pad posted:

This made me remember about the time I smoked with a guy who had a bong that was a figurine of one of the ICP dudes loving Eminem in the rear end. This would have been at the height of both their popularity.

lol ICP at the height of their popularity vs Emenem at his.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
NAh, its extremely easy now. A few years ago it felt like there was a slump and some people were using usenet or whatever instead, but its great right now, and very easy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Hippocrass posted:

lol ICP at the height of their popularity vs Emenem at his.

i mean, there was a whole super homophobic song about ICP on the marshall mathers lp. the beef was real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I remember right they snubbed him first but I can't remember detroit rap drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

The height of ICP's popularity was when the released that on song.
The one the meme is from.

The only ICP song anyone has ever heard.