Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I finally got around to seeing Malignant last night and, drat, that's my kind of wild grand guignol. Love a flick that still has me internally hooting the next day. Tonight will be a rewatch of Bug.

Is Messiah of Evil the one with the coughing up creepy crawlies scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Cruising is real problematic film. I mean I like it but its got some issues.

I'm not sure how you can have a problem with Cruising but not with Killer Joe. They're both based around bastard cops, but at least in Cruising nobody uses sex with their own sister as collateral.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how you can have a problem with Cruising but not with Killer Joe. They're both based around bastard cops, but at least in Cruising nobody uses sex with their own sister as collateral.

I feel like Cruising is more exploitative than Killer Joe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bought some teeth for my monster short movie

Having something resembling an actual budget rules.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I guess you were right not to google that. The GIS results aren’t exactly fun.

It was a depressurization accident that killed 5(?) people very brutally, including one guy who got instantly sucked through a hole smaller than his body.

Oh no I looked it up on Wikipedia, which has a helpful diagram of what happened with stick figures. The yikes was my response. I did not look up pictures however

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The director of Fried Barry made a remake of Street Trash that's coming out next year :getin:

https://twitter.com/ScreamboxTV/status/1688942233397985280

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Chris James 2 posted:

The director of Fried Barry made a remake of Street Trash that's coming out next year :getin:

Totally unneccessary.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jedit posted:

I liked Cruising a lot, but I don't know how to feel about it. Because the film is literally a hate crime, if the staff at The Mineshaft are to be believed. William Friedkin got a gay bar raided so that he could go in and take reference photos to recreate it for the film.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 8, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Holy poo poo yes please.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Chris James 2 posted:

Hell yeah, Fried Barry rules.

Street Trash has amazing goop but it has aged very poorly IMO, a modern version with less rape and racist jokes would be cool as long as they stick to practical effects

e: also obviously they need to keep in the scene where they play monkey in the middle with the guy's severed dick

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Agreed on that, but I don't see much point in remaking it if they're not going to fight over a severed dick.

efb

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chris James 2 posted:

Normally I say no to remakes on principle...but considering what Street Trash was and the people involved this is promising to be more like The Thing or The Fly in terms of "remakes". Hopefully it's just a title and a vibe and maybe some shared ideas. Keep the goop, lose the racism.

I'm a big Fried Barry fan so consider me excited. :getin:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
Killer Joe made it so I can never look at cans the same again. I haven't even watched it in a while but just thinking bout that movie is rough. Everyone in that film is playing a Dumb Motherfucker (and a couple members of the cast dont really need to act to achieve that) but wow Thomas Haden Church might be the master of playing Dumb Motherfuckers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watched Killer Joe with my mom on Christmas lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finishing up Messiah of Evil, just watched The Exorcist last half , then The Sentinel, and now I'm wondering my next 1970s movie that vibes with those.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked Cruising a lot, but I don't know how to feel about it. Because the film is literally a hate crime, if the staff at The Manhole are to be believed. William Friedkin got a gay bar raided so that he could go in and take reference photos to recreate it for the film.

Jesus. Even by the really low opinion I had coming in that’s really loving bad.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've never heard that rumor of Cruising. Like Friedkin filmed at actual gay leather bars that were owned by the mob. He didn't really need reference photos because he shot at the actual places.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollismason posted:

Finishing up Messiah of Evil, just watched The Exorcist last half , then The Sentinel, and now I'm wondering my next 1970s movie that vibes with those.

It's very Euro Horror but have you seen Short Night of Glass Dolls the giallo/conspiracy thriller?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I've never heard that rumor of Cruising. Like Friedkin filmed at actual gay leather bars that were owned by the mob. He didn't really need reference photos because he shot at the actual places.

I could see though if he needed reference photos specifically of a police raid, maybe he didn't want to wait around at those bars waiting for a real raid so he concocted one to save time. Pretty terrible if true.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's very Euro Horror but have you seen Short Night of Glass Dolls the giallo/conspiracy thriller?

Eh I don't really feel like its in my vibe. I think I might go with The Entity. I think that's what its called'

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked Cruising a lot, but I don't know how to feel about it. Because the film is literally a hate crime, if the staff at The Manhole are to be believed. William Friedkin got a gay bar raided so that he could go in and take reference photos to recreate it for the film.

Do you have a source for this? Is like to read more but not turning up anything on Google

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Hollismason posted:

From an interview with manager Wally Wallace in Drummer:

quote:

Wally Wallace: The film representative came into the Mineshaft maybe six months before filming. He wanted to do still photographs, but he said the ceilings were not high enough for a movie. I refused because we had a rule at the beginning about no photographs. We only let friends like Mapplethorpe take some...And then a couple of my staff got involved with the movie. Others on the staff didn’t want anything to do with it because it portrayed gays as murderers...

Jack Fritscher: So, to end the rumor: it was not filmed at the Mineshaft.

Wally Wallace: Cruising was not filmed at the Mineshaft—although to this day people think it was. The bar scenes were done at a place now known as the Cell Block, but at that time it was—before it was Hellfire—another after-hours place in the basement of the Triangle Building at 14th Street and Ninth Avenue. It is a unique space that is under the street and not under the building.

Jack Fritscher: It was always a more hetero mix there. My friend Frank Vickers, the Colt model who was also a model for Mapplethorpe, liked to play there. [Having photographed Frank Vickers on video in 1981, I asked him to appear on the cover of the first edition of my erotic fiction anthology, Stand by Your Man (1987).]

Wally Wallace: They continued to want to shoot stills in the Mineshaft, but I refused. [In a much longer and complicated dialog, Wally Wallace alleged to me, the film company purposely “set up” the first police bust of the Mineshaft by bribing the cops who had helped Friedkin direct The French Connection in Manhattan a few years earlier. During the raid, while Wally Wallace and his staff were arrested and]...taken downtown in a paddy wagon...a crew from the movie company came into the Mineshaft and photographed everything [ostensibly to build a similar set on a sound stage]...Friedkin had this obsession to re-create the Mineshaft interior and exterior.

Jack Fritscher: It certainly looks real on film.

Wally Wallace: In order to create the exterior, he hired the meat company which is right next door to the Mineshaft, where he filmed all his entrances and exits to the bar in the bar scenes.
In the movie, people go downstairs after entering, whereas in the Mineshaft, you had to go upstairs. Otherwise, it looks the same.

Jack Fritscher: Is it ironic that when you began to have a movie night, the first 16mm film you projected on the screen in the Mineshaft main bar was Cruising?

There were other gay bars in the city, of course, but few to none like the Mineshaft. It was set up as an explicitly and exclusively masc-for-masc gay club that allowed hard BDSM on the premises. They let Pacino in to research his role, but balked at allowing any photography.

Everyone please call me an idiot for reflexively calling it The Manhole. Jesus Christ.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Glorious was a fun recent one-room romp. also the original Cube probably counts

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anything new good on Shudder?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Depends on when you last checked in. Within the last 3 months I'd highly recommend Influencer and Brooklyn 45, and I'd also recommend Unwelcome

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Depends on when you last checked in. Within the last 3 months I'd highly recommend Influencer and Brooklyn 45, and I'd also recommend Unwelcome

Ah thanks, I've seen Unwelcome and Influencer and wanted to watch Brooklyn 45. Thanks for the reminder!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Medullah posted:

Ah thanks, I've seen Unwelcome and Influencer and wanted to watch Brooklyn 45. Thanks for the reminder!

Brooklyn 45 is a good film.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Brooklyn 45 is a good film.

Thanks guys, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I thought it was horror/comedy for some reason so I wasn't expecting it to be that dark.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Medullah posted:

Thanks guys, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I thought it was horror/comedy for some reason so I wasn't expecting it to be that dark.

the series didn't really get comedic until the later entries, Brooklyns 1-98 were pretty serious

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean I thought it was kind of funny but yeah not much a horror comedy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think a certain amount of camp reads as comedy when it’s chopped up into a trailer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Went to see Talk To Me tonight and got the full CINEMA EXPERIENCE (people on phones, 6 year old kids dragged by parents, someone getting in late and having to shuffle an entire row down because the first person who sat there got the wrong reserved seating, projector breaking down halfway through) but still enjoyed. Often a worry with the more serious/acclaimed horror that I end up actively disliking it, but yeah the comparisons to It Follows were good enough.

That trailer for the new Exorcist beforehand though? Holy poo poo does that look like a complete garbage fire. Friedkin probably saw it and the ‘worse than Exorcist II’ possibility might have finished him off.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Medullah posted:

Vampir is pretty cool if you’re interested in a languidly paced Serbian folk horror that’s more vibe than story

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Really thought Brooklyn 45 was pretty shoddy (the dialogue and themes, movie as a whole, it was all pretty ehhh, very basic, and overall uncompelling for me) but I'm glad it worked for others. Gotta give em credit for ambition

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Gave it a solid C. Was almost laughing at some of the dramatic monologues. Cool idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean I thought it was a great "bottle" movie. One real location and just relying on the strength of monologues etc.. I felt it worked. Its got a few weak spots but I thought overall everyone did a good job.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O it’s that time again, guess what I’m going to say :

I think it would’ve been a better play. That kind of intimacy works a lot better in live theater.

Still liked it. Everyone needs some Larry Fessenden now and again.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I appreciated it, not because it was amazing (it was on the better side of average), but because it knew exactly what it was and what it wanted to do. There's no massive stakes, nothing excessively flashy -- just some fun spooky moments, a fast enough clip to stay entertaining, and a good-rear end hour and a half runtime.

I don't need huge masterpieces or big budget scares or whatever, just do something interesting, keep it moving, and wrap it up before it gets boring. It's the same thing I appreciated about Wrath of Becky and The Blackening this year, and what I hated about God is a Bullet and The Outwaters. Just keep the goddamn movie moving and interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Went to see Talk To Me tonight and got the full CINEMA EXPERIENCE (people on phones, 6 year old kids dragged by parents, someone getting in late and having to shuffle an entire row down because the first person who sat there got the wrong reserved seating, projector breaking down halfway through) but still enjoyed. Often a worry with the more serious/acclaimed horror that I end up actively disliking it, but yeah the comparisons to It Follows were good enough.

That trailer for the new Exorcist beforehand though? Holy poo poo does that look like a complete garbage fire. Friedkin probably saw it and the ‘worse than Exorcist II’ possibility might have finished him off.

I got a trailer for Cobweb, which looks like a fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its not horror but loving To Live and Die in La loving slaps. I needed to take a break from horror for today after watching 3 movies so I picked that. Great loving choice.