Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ImpAtom posted:

The chapter is pretty clear that the technology isn't letting him fight on All For One's level. The expectation going in is that it will buy only a few moments at best.

Yeah, like I said before, All Might knows what All for One is going to do in advance and the opening move of the fight is still him losing two-thirds functionality of his armor blocking the attack he anticipated.

oh jay posted:

Even AFO in Tartarus was vulnerable to GUN™. Don't know why All Might's going so over the top here.

Do you think All Might will just use Mina's acid to melt All for One?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kanos posted:

The concept of the quirk singularity - or something like it - being able to destroy society as everyone knows it is visible on-panel, completely independent of Doctor Robotnik. Shigaraki's disintegration propagation power can disintegrate an entire city full of people. Dabi has become what amounts to a living nuclear bomb. Twice was a human grey goo event in the making. There's ample evidence to support the idea that quirks are becoming so powerful that something catastrophic happening is functionally inevitable even outside of insane mad scientist experimentation or singular monsters like AfO.

Three people who only reached that point because society failed them and in two cases All for One groomed them into it. There's also no solution to the genetic Quirk Singularity outside of don't have any more babies or destroy all quirks, neither of which is likely to be a solution.

So the answer is, unsurprisingly, for society to have better systems in place to handle quirk development. Which hey, the narrative has hammered on hard with Toga and Endeavour's whole failure of a parenting method. Yes disaster (Eri, Shigaraki) can happen, but the solution is to develop systems to mitigate disaster, not turn into an evil mad scientist.

I think MHA is likely to say that no quirk is so dangerous as to destroy society just for existing, it is what happens to those people and the harm society does to them that makes them dangerous, not who they are. Thirteen has the ability to generate Black Holes, and is not an existential threat to society. Nothing anyone else does comes close to "Makes Black Holes". We don't actually have many examples of quirks that are exceptionally dangerous just for existing except Eri. Shigaraki is the closest and we already have in universe technology to mitigate the danger, Ochako has special gloves that cover 2 fingers on each hand for when she wants to actually hold things without using her Quirk.

In essence, villains are made, not born. Except apparently All for One, but he'd be a bastard quirk or no quirk I suspect.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 8, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, considering the similarities between their Quirks, I'm surprised Ochako and Shigaraki have had zero interactions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, considering the similarities between their Quirks, I'm surprised Ochako and Shigaraki have had zero interactions.

It's even odder when you consider Ochako's quirk and Nana's quirk.

I'm not saying I expect anything there. I'd just be surprised if it was never considered.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The chapter is pretty clear that the technology isn't letting him fight on All For One's level. The expectation going in is that it will buy only a few moments at best.

All-Might can fight on that level because he is an absurdly talented battle-honed teacher using technology that replicates techniques he's already familiar with and even then a single misstep will get him killed. The point isn't "They made the strongest tech", the point is "All-Might, even without his powers, is an incredibly talented hero and can use that talent to punch way above his weight level for at least a short period of time."

That is part of what makes it cool. All Might isn't suddenly rocking All For One Power Armor Version, he's using something that by all rights should not be able to survive against AFO and he's pulling it off anyway because he's got the skills to back it up.

Even just having the capacity to do damage to an opponent of that caliber is nuts, though. It's definitely precarious (since we see it lose a significant portion of its structure in a single attack), but I'm pretty sure you could also beat the vast majority of heroes/villains with that suit if you were reasonably competent as using it, simply because "able to withstand a single AfO attack and hit hard enough to hurt AfO" is absurdly powerful on its own, even if it isn't strictly as strong as something llike OfA itself.

I mean, it's not a problem since this series basically operates off the "rule of cool" and a ton of silly things have been happening throughout this entire arc (like the shield around the floating UA).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume AFO in his cell was under like, ridiculous SCP-level containment protocols which would have probably dumped a hundred liters of sulfuric acid into the room after he got his head blown off, and possibly then have called in Endeavor to flash-sterilize the whole place.

I suspect no personal firearm could reasonably stop him now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Snipe suddenly appears and blows AFO away with his true Quirk: Gun for All.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Snipe suddenly appears and blows AFO away with his true Quirk: Gun for All.

Still rolling from a "plasma cannon" doing nothing to Shigaraki, but Nagant can just casually blow off his arm from miles away while barely clinging to life.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A friend said All Might's suit and last stand reminded them of this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mraagvpeine posted:

A friend said All Might's suit and last stand reminded them of this.
That Wolverine story also sounds like a bad copy of this scene from JLU.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

That Wolverine story also sounds like a bad copy of this scene from JLU.

It's...not? Ace was already dying, Batman just decided to be empathetic to her in her last moments. Wolverine straight up merked that kid.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

mycot posted:

It's...not? Ace was already dying, Batman just decided to be empathetic to her in her last moments. Wolverine straight up merked that kid.
Besides being not really that similar, the Wolverine story also predates the episode by a year.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

oh jay posted:

Still rolling from a "plasma cannon" doing nothing to Shigaraki, but Nagant can just casually blow off his arm from miles away while barely clinging to life.

the way these OfA and Shiggy have been completely untouchable outside of narratively appropriate moments is so silly. if La Brava jumps in there at the right time she could solo them both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheHan posted:

the way these OfA and Shiggy have been completely untouchable outside of narratively appropriate moments is so silly. if La Brava jumps in there at the right time she could solo them both.

Of course she could. She's got a bankai.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing is, the heroes are tall and have attacks that are high up. Shiggy and AFO can see them coming. La Brava is short, she can just go for the ankles.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing is, the heroes are tall and have attacks that are high up. Shiggy and AFO can see them coming. La Brava is short, she can just go for the ankles.

Turns out all you need to defeat them is a swift kick to the balls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And this is why Mineta isn't the short guy we need. Man has too much respect for balls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Turns out all you need to defeat them is a swift kick to the balls.

Being short does not help you give someone a kick in the balls! It makes it harder, in fact!

Being taller probably makes it easier to kick someone in their balls, because you don't have to kick as high (and the higher you do kick, the bigger the impact).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Being short does not help you give someone a kick in the balls! It makes it harder, in fact!

Being taller probably makes it easier to kick someone in their balls, because you don't have to kick as high (and the higher you do kick, the bigger the impact).

Uppercut to the nards then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone drew summer vacation images for their series in Jump and they were all cutesy. This is what Horikoshi drew

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't tell if that's his sleep paralysis demon or his editor demanding the next chapter by deadline.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One of those requires that he sleeps

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Man attempts to sleep, but in the depths of his 29th hour awake he is visited by the thing that causes him the most pain.

It keeps him awake. He cannot dream, save for this vexing creature. It calls to him. He cannot scream."

OK so anyone else do anything fun this summer?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Fabricated posted:

Everyone drew summer vacation images for their series in Jump and they were all cutesy. This is what Horikoshi drew

This rules, and after a long long extended vacation at the end of MHA, I would like for him to do a horror anthology or something

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's apparently legit a Japanese slender man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ningen_(folklore)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Why is their Slenderman shaped like a friend?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Honestly I'm surprised that's the only horror entry in the set, summer is horror season in Japan after all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fabricated posted:

It's apparently legit a Japanese slender man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ningen_(folklore)

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7471/my-hero-academia-chapter-397?date=18-8-2023-11

7 pages :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Did AFO really just use the victory wine excuse?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably overwork from Obon week.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Whats there is good but wheres the rest?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like the touch that One for All is combining quirks randomly now, it creates a realistic opening for a veteran like All Might to exploit....but isn't the end result indistinguishable from what One for All's been doing this entire war. Dude's got 32 flavors of evil blast. Still tho, I think there's the potential for a good All Might send off here (desperate)

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I love you based All Might

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I really want to see more of All Might's backstory. Dude was about to fight a whole gang with just a pipe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Man, I really want to see more of All Might's backstory. Dude was about to fight a whole gang with just a pipe.

What if Ichiban Kasuga was saved by Superman instead of the yakuza

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This is two recent chapters now to be under 10 pages. I like weekly chapters but i also dont want the author to die or the series to go to ratshit. The black clover writer switched to the jump quarterly magazine because the weekly time constraints werent working. maybe MHA should too.

I think the weekly shonen jump should have a 2-3 month break every year just to let the authors breathe and plan out their storyboard for the year. The non-stop 20 pages a week is turning every 300+ chapter series into a dumpster fire. Only exception is the one piece guy and even he needs a week break per month.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Maybe more cycle breaks for authors throughout the year so there's not a quarter of the year where there's no magazine period.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Simply moving most series to biweekly would probably help immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This was also Obon, where I think they literally work a week ahead instead of just taking one off