Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Cloud Cuckooland feels like Rare had a bunch of test assets, or a level that got scrapped early, and everything was stitched together into this. Not my fav for sure.

Also, is Canary Mary Revengeance the worst button-mashing minigame in the entire N64 library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A quick bit of googling suggests that the key to keeping up with Mary is how rhythmically you mash, not your speed. Mashing faster makes you go faster, but she rubber bands so hard that it's not worth going all out until the end of the race.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

C-Euro posted:

Also, is Canary Mary Revengeance the worst button-mashing minigame in the entire N64 library?
If the "rotate the control stick 900 million times until either it or your hand falls off" minigames from Mario Party 1 count as button-mashing, probably not.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh good, you've found the absolute worst level in the game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dabir posted:

Banjo Tooie is the Dark Souls of collectathons - my article for PC Gamer

By that logic, Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

Also, I appreciate how we both have been playing too much Tears and thought "can't we Ascend through those?"
Though I had that thought while you were playing Hailfire Peaks.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 22, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Never had a problem with any of the Canary Mary races, God Thumb here (actually would use my index but you know)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

Y'know, there sure is a lot of death in BT for what is ostensibly a children's game.

Watership Down was also made for children.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Don't forget Animorphs which...sheez

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Judge Tesla posted:

Watership Down was also made for children.

I think it was actually re-rated as PG lately, or something?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

All British media intended for children is legally required to contain something to traumatize children. Check out Mr. Noseybonk here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsGtNZgpas

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Going off that move's rhyme I guess they call the button up-C?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I want to know how badly is Artix's tongue doing after the amount of biting it must have been doing in order to keep silent about how to access the move. I'm pretty sure Argate looked at that hole multiple times and never noticed it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shame you didn't go in the other skull as Mumbo

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I'm fairly sure you actually made that boss more difficult that it had to be with the homing eggs cheat. If I remember right from kid me, that cheat applies to some enemy projectiles as well as your own. It's been a long, long time so I could be wrong, but I definitely remember that from my N64 days.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

berenzen posted:

I want to know how badly is Artix's tongue doing after the amount of biting it must have been doing in order to keep silent about how to access the move. I'm pretty sure Argate looked at that hole multiple times and never noticed it.

This has been my existence for like, the entire back half of the game.

E: If When I sound irritated during commentary this is almost certainly why :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 26, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Don't worry, I was yelling at my TV in your stead.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This video really demonstrates the worst thing about the world. It's not the lolrandom theme, it's the layout. It's a giant hub cave with eleven billion spokes coming off it and all of exits are basically identical looking with only some color shading to help identify them. Even with three people's eyeballs and memories on it y'all are struggling to remember which exit goes where.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The way I understood the safe isn't that he's forgotten the combination so he can't punch it into himself, it's that he forgot the combination so he won't even know if you guess right. That's why you have to do the scavenger hunt, to get a third party to remind him what it is.

Also pronouncing fake mumbo's name with a hard G is very kind.

minge means vagina

Dabir fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 26, 2023

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Sometimes I just shoot the clockwork egg though the safe and don't bother :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Shame you didn't go in the other skull as Mumbo

What happens?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Did you notice the missing poster for Tooty on the side of the milk carton in the garbage can? :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Video 37 is unlisted.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

C-Euro posted:

What happens?

It's been so long that I honestly can't remember.
I have vague memories of shaman on shaman deathmatch, but I'm not sure if they're real. And all the videos I could find at a cursory glance take bear and bird in there.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

It's been so long that I honestly can't remember.
I have vague memories of shaman on shaman deathmatch, but I'm not sure if they're real. And all the videos I could find at a cursory glance take bear and bird in there.

He might remain asleep. I think he just stays asleep if you go in split up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Video 37 is unlisted.

Fixed it, thanks for the heads up!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I swear it looked like after losing to him a bunch, Mingy Jongo just started having six months of downtime after every attack instead of chaining off blasts. Probably as a sanity measure. (Comment on this video, tagged only because this is right under the update.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The ice cube couple are (presumably) a reference to the 1976 British sitcom George and Mildred

Thanks, Rare.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
IMO, Cloud Cuckooland feels breezy because you have every move in the game by the time you get there, and as such you can do the whole thing in one visit :eng101:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It's also just small. For how terribly confusing the main cave's exits are, that cave is the bulk of the level space. It's another wheel and spokes design except all the spokes are tiny little islands that have pretty much nothing on them. Most of them don't even have a room you can walk around in and just have a single mini game.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
For me Cloud Cuckooland was the last world I visited, and the relative emptiness of the space, with everything so spread out, combined with the fact that it was almost endgame, filled me with a sense of melancholy. I was a troubled ten-year-old, apparently.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FoolyCharged posted:

It's also just small. For how terribly confusing the main cave's exits are, that cave is the bulk of the level space. It's another wheel and spokes design except all the spokes are tiny little islands that have pretty much nothing on them. Most of them don't even have a room you can walk around in and just have a single mini game.
This. It doesn't have much to it, but also no sense of place whatsoever, that contributes a lot to the confusion. The only reason it even manages to be a level of any sort of respectable length and volume is adding lots of hoops to jump through. For some of those jiggies, you have to
- get a bean
- plant the bean
- go there with Mumbo to make it grow
- hatch an egg with Kazooie
- hover over with Banjo
- climb the bean-vine
- do a backpack thing
- finally claim the jiggy

That's all four characters (counting B+K as one) involved, and lots of back and forth! And getting lost on the way.

It's perhaps the most complex level for split-up interactions, really letting the individual characters shine and making it a challenge to pave routes for them, but I don't really like it because most of it is just running in circles in a random assortment of sky islands + the central cave over and over and over again.

Grunty Industries has similar layers of hoops to jump through, but imo it's much more interesting, with less of a focus on splitting up and more on unlocking various shortcuts, traversal routes and so on, which can be done first, and then you can do a clean sweep; it's much more tightly designed and I hope Argate ends up liking it more than his co-commentators!

also hi i finally caught up to the videos, left some YT comments on the way to not clog up the thread

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I am a Grunty Industries defender but I do agree that it feels more climactic just because of the theming, difficulty, and such, even if Cloud Cuckooland has the cool "look down and see the hub world" skybox. I also never really had much of an issue navigating the whole deal because I was too into the entire idea, I just liked walking around.

That said, the code you used to remove the antialiasing makes this level look so bad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I would apologize for the state of these videos but we were so done with the game by the time we got here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You know, talking about how grunty industries is a pain in the rear end to navigate right after talking about how cloud cookooland is a pain in the rear end to navigate and bringing up terrydactyland (which is also a pain in the rear end to navigate) made me think.

The back half of this game is a pain in the rear end to navigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
With all the short cuts, loop backs and conditional travel methods. GI seems a bit, souls like in it's layout. Am I imagining that?