Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Phanatic posted:

How's that scale?

Mostly he’s just been using a little bit of planning ahead using charging apps to find hotels with chargers, or committing to an overnight charge at an RV site or a friend’s house with an available plug. It hasn’t been difficult, just requires a bit of planning. Certainly that’s more scalable than equipping every car with its own solar array

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Anecdotally, there's an electric car charging station on a rural section of interstate near me. Last time I was there, there was 6 cars in line waiting for the two operable chargers (there's two that have been broken for months). Even with rapid charging, that's a long-rear end wait. Mass adoption of electric cars probably won't help this situation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kaal posted:

Mostly he’s just been using a little bit of planning ahead using charging apps to find hotels with chargers, or committing to an overnight charge at an RV site or a friend’s house with an available plug. It hasn’t been difficult, just requires a bit of planning. Certainly that’s more scalable than equipping every car with its own solar array

Right, but when it's more than just your friend driving in the backwoods with an EV, finding a charger becomes more of an issue. That means it doesn't scale.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Most people don't drive cross country. And most people statistically live in urban areas.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Seems like a pretty hypothetical concern. Right now, it’s not a significant barrier - particularly for the average user who drives 20 miles per day in a familiar area. As the demand increases, more chargers will be installed. Certainly there’s no shortage of gas stations and parking lots available.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kaal posted:

Seems like a pretty hypothetical concern. Right now, it’s not a significant barrier - particularly for the average user who drives 20 miles per day in a familiar area. As the demand increases, more chargers will be installed. Certainly there’s no shortage of gas stations and parking lots available.

It takes 5 minutes to gas up a car, so the throughput on a given gas pump is a lot higher than the throughput on a given car charger. And hypothetical concerns like "what happens if a lot more people buy one of these"? are things that people consider before spending $40,000+ on a vehicle which they expect to last them 10 years.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there's an ev thread if you want to complain about electric cars

for thread-related content: lets spin up more nukes to power these electric cars tia

i will take my responses off the air

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Knowing where you will usually charge your vehicle is a reasonable thing to consider, but for most people it is their house or apartment complex. These sorts of things will become less scary to people as they are normalized.

Edit: Speaking of nuclear power and gas stations, what are the possibilities of converting old gas station sites to power generation? Are they typically hooked up with high energy infrastructure? I know they are generally considered to be significant waste liability concerns that have been dumped onto the public. Digging them out and installing a micro reactor sounds like an appealing fix.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 9, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Kaal posted:

Edit: Speaking of nuclear power and gas stations, what are the possibilities of converting old gas station sites to power generation?

"lol, lmao"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

"lol, lmao"

this is definitely happening though. most of the gas stations we hit when we drive to the coast for example, have charging stations installed. as more electric cars get sold, that is going to increase

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Converting gas stations to electric charging stations has nothing to do with power generation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Converting gas stations to electric charging stations has nothing to do with power generation.

i completely agree but since the thread wants to discuss electric cars for some reason i gave up

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The difficulties of electric cars really drives home how important transit and walkability/cyclability is. Ubiquitous personal cars are not sustainable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

unfortunately it seems like 90% of people disagree

personally i think we should popularize cheap electric motorbikes too

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
California is stopping the sale of gasoline cars in 2035

Kaal
May 22, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

I did a little bit of reading, and it certainly seems like gas stations are avidly embracing solar panels at least. There’s apparently an average of 120 m^2 of open roof space at each station, and several of the big corporations like BP and Total have embarked on building sprees taking advantage of the existing power infrastructure and equipping them with 10-20 kw solar arrays and EV vehicle stations. These sorts of businesses are already adept at navigating environmental impact statements, building codes, and other issues that NIMBYs can attack projects with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Not true, you can run generators with the fossil fuels!

Also lol at the Aptera derail, oops!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

TheMuffinMan posted:

California is stopping the sale of gasoline cars in 2035

California passed a law that takes effect then. California will change that law well before 2035.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
The Aptera's back? I thought that died years ago.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 9, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Concordat posted:

The Aptera's back? I thought that died years ago.

it did, i think the original founder rebought the equity after it failed and relaunched it

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oddly optimistic article from the Times, 1 of 3 incoming on the subject.

The Clean Energy Future Is Arriving Faster Than You Think

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is there a tl;don't have a nyt subscription summary for people who can't read that paywalled article?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Is there a tl;don't have a nyt subscription summary for people who can't read that paywalled article?

It showed fine for me, maybe try private mode? Otherwise there's a snapshot here: https://archive.is/xiVmg

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

aniviron posted:

Archive.is and slam the url in

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

aniviron posted:

Enabling reader view bypasses it for me

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://progress.institute/nuclear-power-plant-construction-costs/

quote:

Why Does Nuclear Power Plant Construction Cost So Much?

The source of clean energy shouldn't be displaying "negative learning" over time. Nuclear plant construction is often characterized as exhibiting “negative learning.” That is, instead of getting better at building plants over time, we’re getting worse. Plants have gotten radically more expensive, even as technology has improved and we understand the underlying science better.

Fundamentally, we need much better management in these massive construction projects, and much more predictable regulation. That means much more warning for any nuclear related regulatory changes and more consistency when it comes to new regulations. There's a good argument that the US Navy's nuclear program's secret sauce for keeping nuclear costs down is NOT changing design requirements in the middle of construction and NOT starting construction with an incomplete design and NOT making a new design with each new nuclear reactor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok can we cross post that to graph crimes.

$ / kW is a sensible Y Scale, but why use Cumulative global GW rather than just year.... Yes I understand that it does somewhat take into account plant retirements.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I think it is far more simply explained by when effective permitting and time based activism really took off. Wind is going up in cost in Germany now, right when NIMBY efforts are biting, pushing out approvals and timelines and consequently a heap of knock on effects that don't look like they are all down to getting a project stuck in consultation/protest challenge limbo.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
A really great and obvious idea for energy production is to cover the water canals with solar panels. This helps less water evaporate and uses up very little added space.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
"A study by the University of California, Merced gives a boost to the idea, estimating that 63 billion gallons of water could be saved by covering California’s 4,000 miles of canals with solar panels that could also generate 13 gigawatts of power. That’s enough for the entire city of Los Angeles from January through early October."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Part of the problem there is transmission, avoiding environmentally hazardous materials falling into the river, and possibly blocking sunlight to organisms that need it?

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Part of the problem there is transmission, avoiding environmentally hazardous materials falling into the river, and possibly blocking sunlight to organisms that need it?

to hell with the organisms

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

maybe there is a good way to filter pure H2O out of the stream of water

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
though i kind of like the taste of certain minerals in water

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Farm irrigation canals are not a protected ecosystem, and the entire system in the southwest loses an insane amount of water from evaporation from uncovered canals.

Might as well complain about solar farms on parking lots interfering with the native ecosystems and blocking free car heating.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It may not be protected but it can still be ecologically valuable. It's not a bad thing to think about stuff like that and it's a good point to make, whether or not it ends up affecting the final decision.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

Preventing algae growth would be a plus I'd think. Big canals have pretty fast flowing water, so I don't think it's normally an issue, but a lot of golf course ponds and stuff go through a lot of effort on algae mitigation (e.g. the weird blue dye). It can cause toxicity issues and crash oxygen levels.

I doubt this idea has legs though. Maintenance seems like it would be a PITA.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Preventing algae growth would be a plus I'd think. Big canals have pretty fast flowing water, so I don't think it's normally an issue, but a lot of golf course ponds and stuff go through a lot of effort on algae mitigation (e.g. the weird blue dye). It can cause toxicity issues and crash oxygen levels.

I doubt this idea has legs though. Maintenance seems like it would be a PITA.

wonder if they use copper sulphate (which can be crazy toxic to fish so probably lol)

anyway farm runoff is also bad for pushing nutrients and antibiotics into the waterways

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i saw a video over 10 years ago about how orange country in California recycled their water. I think it was greywater.

one of the last steps was blasting the water with UV Radiation to help kill the bad stuff. they said the final result was drinkable water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

mediaphage posted:

wonder if they use copper sulphate (which can be crazy toxic to fish so probably lol)

anyway farm runoff is also bad for pushing nutrients and antibiotics into the waterways
I doubt they treat irrigation water with anything, but yeah, irrigation runoff is really bad. Things like no-till farming, and substituting manure for phosphates and nitrate fertilizers can help a lot in reducing water pollution, and help avoid water wastage.