Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
The Neutopia one where the characters all changed genders was filled to the brim with low hanging fruit jokes. Embarrassingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
I'm sure this season's being carried by "Hey, new Futurama! Again!" but I found most of the CC run boring in a way that these haven't been (so far). Even then, the first one back started to overstay its welcome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aces High posted:

The weird censoring satellite one, absolutely (and I think that was episode 2, so a REALLY bad start) and probably the eye-phone one. The Leonardo da Vinci one was Ok, and then we got to The Late Philip J. Fry iirc

On the other hand, Poopiter is possibly the most I've laughed at anything

I'm a child

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I thought it was better than the first two...

Danzel Glovington posted:

Things like reviews or opinions of others whether irl or online won't really change how I engage with the show, even if the episodes are bad I'll enjoy them, but I have this feeling people are not going to continue giving the show the kind of praise, or even the kind of concessions as an iconic show but with declining quality, as it once received. It may have reached Simpsons jaundice level of being on life support at this point.

Don't forget, this may be struck work, so any of the PR that may have gone into this has vanished and all that remained are a few commercials.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This might be too strong a word but I remember a good bit of the comedy central run felt really trashy. Like, going in an almost drawn together direction in terms of crassness and sex appeal. Haven't felt that here just yet, but the season is still young.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thundercracker posted:

Borrow! Borrow!

I thought it was "Burrow, burro!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did the comedy Central run have the original writers?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Neutopia one where the characters all changed genders was filled to the brim with low hanging fruit jokes. Embarrassingly bad.

This and the one where Amy and Leela do butterfly steroids are maybe the worst in the CC run for me. They're both filled with weird sexist "women are like THIS and men are like THIS!" jokes.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

LividLiquid posted:

Even if the show was as great as it ever was, we've all lived through too many bad revivals to get excited about something we loved coming back from the dead.

Arrested Development was a bigass canary in the coal mine for this.

I can't remember anything from season 5 of Arrested Development. I mean not a single scene. Is it even worth revisiting?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Von Pluring posted:

I can't remember anything from season 5 of Arrested Development. I mean not a single scene. Is it even worth revisiting?

not at all. Completely worthless.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I didn't remember the Neutopia one at all, and for some reason it was being shared as the first ep of the reboot on :filez: so I watched it and thought "drat, they weren't kidding about how bad this reboot was, these jokes would have been dated ten years ago". So I was pretty surprised when I realized the episode was from twelve years ago; when I finally watched the right ep, I was extremely relieved.

I think people are misremembering the quality of the old eps; Futurama eps have always been very average with just a handful of eps that stood out as very funny/sweet and a few like Neutopia that stood out as godawful, and so far everything is just... on par with the averagest episodes that I can remember.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the original run has a couple that aren't so great, but mostly even the forgettable episodes have snappy, smart stuff happening in a lot of scenes. The Comedy Central reboot has some episodes that are fantastic and worth it, a lot that are fine, and some that for my money are worse than anything in the original run by a million miles. Neutopia might be the nadir.

The Hulu run I'm guessing will be mostly "fine" and "real bad" episodes, by comparison. I thought the premiere was genuinely pretty strong, though! Like a solid B.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Von Pluring posted:

I remember laughing at a single joke about Trump in one of the first episodes, and also I remember thinking some of the Lucille/Tobias scenes being okay, but mostly I remember thinking how depressing it was that AD had come this low.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Everything just feels tired. It's well-worn ground at this point but the voice actors, particularly Billy West, sound like speaking more than three words in a sentence is a massive imposition. Why exactly do I need to see these characters, in a far-future setting, go to "the old west"? The subplot of robot heads being used for mining would have worked just fine as an episode on its own.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They just wanted an excuse to let the Oxen stretch their legs

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Adrianics posted:

Everything just feels tired. It's well-worn ground at this point but the voice actors, particularly Billy West, sound like speaking more than three words in a sentence is a massive imposition. Why exactly do I need to see these characters, in a far-future setting, go to "the old west"? The subplot of robot heads being used for mining would have worked just fine as an episode on its own.

It's wild how the robot heads scene is the point where the plot develops actual stakes and then our heroes Just Leave and don't do anything about it. It could be funny that they don't care if the writing played it right, but instead they act like they do care and then don't do anything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Did the comedy Central run have the original writers?

That was what I was referencing earlier. David X Cohen said they slashed the size of the writing room and that's why the writing suffered.

Also, I loving love the Leonardo Di Vinci episode.

"Some doomsday machine! It barely killed anyone!"

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It's wild how the robot heads scene is the point where the plot develops actual stakes and then our heroes Just Leave and don't do anything about it. It could be funny that they don't care if the writing played it right, but instead they act like they do care and then don't do anything.

Hell they could even work in an angle based on the fact that it's not widely known that Bitcoin requires an incomprehensible amount of resources, even if it felt like a retread of the Lucy Liu episode it would have worked!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

as much as I like the middle seasons my favorite part will always be the first season. Fry was so excited to be in the future and have a robot friend and well thats what I dream about too

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Von Pluring posted:

I actually like season 4 quite a bit. Season 5 just made me very sad.

Adrianics posted:

Futurama has gone to "the old west" well a lot and it's always kind of lame. This episode was okay, but I still liked the first best.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thundercracker posted:

That was what I was referencing earlier. David X Cohen said they slashed the size of the writing room and that's why the writing suffered.

Also, I loving love the Leonardo Di Vinci episode.

"Some doomsday machine! It barely killed anyone!"

I mean even terrible episodes do get the occasional joke that lands perfectly. The line I quoted upthread is one of my favorites of the series and was from the bottom 2% of episodes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean even terrible episodes do get the occasional joke that lands perfectly. The line I quoted upthread is one of my favorites of the series and was from the bottom 2% of episodes.

"Shut up and take my money" is inexplicably from the boil episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One of my favourite Futurama jokes of all time is from That Darn Katz! when the cast discover Professor Katz is a cat piloting a fake human body, and the line is like, "My God! It's one of those dog-operated human puppets...but it's been adapted for use by a cat!". It's such a smart, stupid, brilliant joke.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's like Speed 2, but with a bus instead of a boat!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I guess the comedy central episodes are still kinda rubbish but they feel more coherent.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Futurama has possibly my favourite screengrab in all of history, like it's physically impossible for me to not laugh at it:

The phrase "I need helf" is funny enough, but the loving correct punctuations, the semi-colon, the apostrophes, the ellipsis he might as well have made two rocks rather than three

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 9, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Android Blues posted:

One of my favourite Futurama jokes of all time is from That Darn Katz! when the cast discover Professor Katz is a cat piloting a fake human body, and the line is like, "My God! It's one of those dog-operated human puppets...but it's been adapted for use by a cat!". It's such a smart, stupid, brilliant joke.

That Darn Katz! also has the great bit with the see n say where they set you up for "the horse says NEIGH" but instead you get the great reading of "doctorate denied"

shame that it's a low tier episode outside of a few zingers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah you mean Professor Fisherprice Shpeakenshpell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuZysLvIU3E

I love Farnsworth's response :v:

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I just watched the S7 Saturday morning cartoon episode for the first time. Was that as weird and bizarre as I thought it was? Weirdly avant garde for Futurama? I was on ketamine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Costco Meatballs posted:

I just watched the S7 Saturday morning cartoon episode for the first time. Was that as weird and bizarre as I thought it was? Weirdly avant garde for Futurama? I was on ketamine.

The Scooby Doo parody was the best section of that by far, and the GI Joe one the worst, though it could have been a solid segment without the Nixon editing part.

I think by far the best "style parody" they've done was the anime segment.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
The Scooby one seemed almost like an Adult Swimk short. When they wiped off George Takai's mask and then it turned out they were playing six Larry Birds I about died.

The shaggy/fry weed joke was some low hanging overplayed poo poo tho

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

Argue posted:

I think people are misremembering the quality of the old eps; Futurama eps have always been very average with just a handful of eps that stood out as very funny/sweet and a few like Neutopia that stood out as godawful, and so far everything is just... on par with the averagest episodes that I can remember.

No way. I just rewatched seasons 1-4 and they still hold up well and have a high consistent quality. In fact I'd probably put that four season run up against any four season run of The Simpsons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Rollos posted:

No way. I just rewatched seasons 1-4 and they still hold up well and have a high consistent quality. In fact I'd probably put that four season run up against any four season run of The Simpsons.

Agreed. It's not like it was in the Simpsons threads here back in the day, we can all see those old episodes and compare them RIGHT NOW it's not half remembered stuff

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Adrianics posted:

Futurama has possibly my favourite screengrab in all of history, like it's physically impossible for me to not laugh at it:

The phrase "I need helf" is funny enough, but the loving correct punctuations, the semi-colon, the apostrophes, the ellipsis he might as well have made two rocks rather than three

Lol, that’s too funny. But it’s not a semi-colon. Come on!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Hulu Premier was fine. But everything after that has been middling and forgettable imo. I binged all three episodes last night and maybe that made the dropoff in quality more stark. The plot and characterizations (especially Leela, Amy, Amy's folks) in episode 2 were especially rancid.

Went back and randomly watched the single female lawyer episode ("When Aliens Attack"), which I've probably seen a dozen times over the years, and still laughed my rear end off. Unfortunately it also made clear to me that Billy West and Phil LaMarr are losing their range or just out of practice for these characters in 2023.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hulu Premier was fine. But everything after that has been middling and forgettable imo. I binged all three episodes last night and maybe that made the dropoff in quality more stark. The plot and characterizations (especially Leela, Amy, Amy's folks) in episode 2 were especially rancid.

Went back and randomly watched the single female lawyer episode ("When Aliens Attack"), which I've probably seen a dozen times over the years, and still laughed my rear end off. Unfortunately it also made clear to me that Billy West and Phil LaMarr are losing their range or just out of practice for these characters in 2023.

LaMarr really shouldn't be doing Dwight any more

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Taear posted:

LaMarr really shouldn't be doing Dwight any more

was that him in the last episode? Sounded like the Carver from Weekenders cartoon actor that they used way back but couldn't get again because he was in school. Presumably he's far past being a child actor now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I definitely hear how Fry sounds a bit haggard, but Hermes sounds totally fine to me :confused:

Also, the eye-phone episode is actually a good episode aside from the ultra-cringey Susan Boil joke, which is actually a very small part of the episode. Proposition Infinity is good too. I said what I said.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

aBagorn posted:

That Darn Katz! also has the great bit with the see n say where they set you up for "the horse says NEIGH" but instead you get the great reading of "doctorate denied"

shame that it's a low tier episode outside of a few zingers

Maurice LaMarch talking about how Earth is useless except for the carpets to pee on is pretty funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
This one definitely felt like CC episode. A couple decent jokes, but the plot was dated and too many contrived "remember this character" jokes. It wasn't on the level of the offensively bad CC episodes that have been listed, but definitely in that Season 6/7 instantly forgettable range.