Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

I think people just quit bringing signs. Not only was WWE bleeding fans in the mid-2000s, but younger people were getting less interested in TV in general.

That was around when I quit watching to be honest but that’s mostly cause I got older and was more into online computer games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cartoon Man posted:

That was around when I quit watching to be honest but that’s mostly cause I got older and was more into online computer games.

I quit watching because I saw HHH, wearing nothing but a Kane mask, get into a coffin and hump a mannequin. I turned off the TV, said "I guess I don't like wrestling anymore" and then didn't watch WWE again until I heard about Daniel Bryan and the Shield.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Hirez posted:

nothing will ever top this, so why even bother unless it's good

lol, loving GOAT sign

here are a few of the funny older signs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Butt ‘the Shitman’ Fart

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

when south park got big suddenly every raw had like 3+ cartman signs

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They put Earthquake under a mask, called him Golga, and sent him out with a stuffed Cartman.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ah, an Avalanche fan.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Defiance Industries posted:

I think people just quit bringing signs. Not only was WWE bleeding fans in the mid-2000s, but younger people were getting less interested in TV in general.

It's hard to hold a sign and a phone.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
12 year old me showin up at International Incident with an Austin 3:16 sign while he was still heel and the uncle who took me telling me to put it away or someone would get mad I was cheering a heel

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

TheSwizzler posted:

12 year old me showin up at International Incident with an Austin 3:16 sign while he was still heel and the uncle who took me telling me to put it away or someone would get mad I was cheering a heel

Hopefully, now that you are older and wiser, you understand that your uncle was just protecting The Business.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hopefully, now that you are older and wiser, you understand that your uncle was just protecting The Business.

Uncle Kevin Fabian

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

TheSwizzler posted:

Uncle Kevin Fabian

Uncle Corny

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Szyznyk posted:

Uncle Corny

Spotted Cousin Mark in the thread

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Spotted Cousin Mark in the thread

Just a mizzark from San Carlos Pizzark cuzzie.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I attended a Nitro in Philadelphia where someone had a "Assault on Devil's Island Sucked My Left Nut" sign but I assume it didn't make it on TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I feel like Vince has got cogwheels turning in his head like '...is that good or bad? AM I booty, obviously in the good way? Vince is booty...'

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Du rag mcmahon was a menace

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's a terrible person and a terrible boss but damned if he isn't clearly enjoying himself.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's a terrible person and a terrible boss but damned if he isn't clearly enjoying himself.

i dont know if hes ever felt joy hes just supremely committed to the bit. whatever the bit may be

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

He enjoys every time he farts, which is probably what was going on during that du-rag strut

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bogus Adventure posted:

He enjoys every time he farts, which is probably what was going on during that du-rag strut

Enjoying farting but despising sneezing, the man is a hypocrite!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Grendels Dad posted:

Enjoying farting but despising sneezing, the man is a hypocrite!

See, a fart can be used to exert power over others, while a sneeze is a loss of power over the self. It makes perfect sense for the extraordinarily screwed up mess that is Vince McMahon.

TheSwizzler posted:

That reminds me of some fond memories attending an early 1997 house show in Montreal, mainly remembering that plenty of fans didn't care if you were officially a heel, they'd cheer you anyway. Steve Austin wrestled Mankind and I saw for the first time just how popular he was getting, and the Nation of Domination came out and there were plenty of hands around me who responded to their 'raised fist semi sig heil' with their own.

Also, it seems like Mick lost his boots, because he came out in gold ones. I noticed (front rowish seats), but he called attention to it by saying he was indeed wearing Goldust's boots. He lost, and afterwards got on the mike and angrily declared "Shut up! I'm not through with the Undertaker, I'm not through with Stone Cold, and Goldust, I'm gonna kick your rear end with your own boots!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've heard that in lucha libre and Japanese wrestling, heels aren't necessarily boo'd anyway.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think people mostly stopped bringing signs because now people Show They Were There by taking pics/videos/selfies. People used to do that by having a sign big enough to show up on screen.

From the 2017 Royal Rumble:

Brought to you by some polite Canadians who have a podcast about wrestling storylines that got me back into wrestling and then took an indefinite hiatus because of covid, wrestling being lovely to the point of being exhausting to watch, one of them getting cancer...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

(Nice Wayne's World nod in that last one)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Still interested in a breakdown of Shane ruining a Royale Rumble (and other dumb poo poo he's done).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Shane-O-Mac rules, and he's got a funny dance

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol shane deciding that he was bigger than brock lesnar and telling vince he'd be happy to put him over

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

DOLLA DOLLA! DOLLA DOLLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuYfScGpbE

Ching, ching! Bling bling, cut the chatter!
If you ain't talkin' money, then your talkin' don't matter!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SirPhoebos posted:

Still interested in a breakdown of Shane ruining a Royale Rumble (and other dumb poo poo he's done).

I'm working on that one next, I just got sidetracked with that Vince/champions list. It's going to be a breakdown of Shane's big return after years of absence up to him keeling over after a moment of in-ring action at this year's WrestleMania.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol snoop dog's look of disappointment during wrestlemania when shane blew a quad out immediately

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Vince's quads are the only thing his kids are going to inherit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've heard that in lucha libre and Japanese wrestling, heels aren't necessarily boo'd anyway.

I think the thing with Japanese wrestling in particular is that many promotions don't have any outright heels, or they'll be a subsection/faction of the roster. There's way less...strife? There's obviously bad blood and feuds, but they tend to come from character as opposed to alignment.

Most matches are between people that do not hate each other on principle, and honestly, I find it more intriguing. More of a competitive vibe with somewhat less skullduggery (go away house of torture please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
big van vader caused a riot after beating antonio inoki thats heat brother