Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Hed posted:

I have an AWS ALB that has routes to require auth via OIDC to view web pages on an internal Django CRUD app I control. Works great.

I want to be able to allow API users (who are still employees) to query the API hanging off this service, but obviously if I run e.g. curl without a AWSELBAuthSessionCookie set it will redirect me using OIDC to login.microsoftonline.com.

Is there a standard workflow to use OIDC to get an auth token for API? Right now all I can think of is to set the ALB to let /api/ routes through and do auth at the app level but that sucks. Perfect would be some sort of MSFT portal that would give you an auth token you could set for a request.

have you tried this poo poo https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/v2-protocols-oidc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
gf's got an asus ga502du laptop that the battery is dead. i'm skeptical of buying batteries off of amazon because they all look like dropshipped garbage with questionable quality. i got an old macbook pro battery a few years ago on there and it worked for maybe a month. asus doesn't seem to offer replacements direct. any suggestions for where I should look?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbh i got a 9-cell for my old thinkpad off one of those amazon sellers and it was just fine. its just 18650s

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So I have windows 10 ltsc with the Microsoft nfs feature turned on. Somehow when I type mount it shows me some tool to mount virtual machine disks or some poo poo. Which reveals it in windows/system.

How do I get the proper mount tool that will let me mount an nfs export as a drive letter. Oh btw when it works Microsoft’s nfs feature is way loving faster than their native sharing trash. Also I am unable to mount samba shares on this win10 machine as well but can mount it on my iPad if anyone has any ideas on that but I’d rather nfs anyhow.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

gf's got an asus ga502du laptop that the battery is dead. i'm skeptical of buying batteries off of amazon because they all look like dropshipped garbage with questionable quality. i got an old macbook pro battery a few years ago on there and it worked for maybe a month. asus doesn't seem to offer replacements direct. any suggestions for where I should look?

I had this exact question a couple years back and someone here pointed me to eBay, and the battery I got then is still going strong. I think you’re more likely to find genuine new old stock on eBay than Amazon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so I’m staying at my mums and she has fibre but also has voip so has a particular kind of modem that obv does all that. it’s many years old

when the internet is ok it’s OK. my son is playing fortnite on my pc and it’s connecting via a wireless card in my pc.

he can get a ping of around 20-30 which is acceptable. but then sometimes it flies up to 1,100 which seems to be the max value in fortnite and since it’s hitting that value it’s probably higher

now I know gaming over wifi is always gonna be a crapshoot to some degree, and it’s a a few rooms
distance with a kitchen in between

but anyway is there some kind of way in which I can determine if the problem is something maybe I can address by moving stuff or if the issue is more isp related?

i’ve tried to do some basic network analysis to see if any other program is the issue but not on my pc so far

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
plug in an ethernet cable to see if it's a wifi issue, or something upstream?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

ok so I’m staying at my mums and she has fibre but also has voip so has a particular kind of modem that obv does all that. it’s many years old

when the internet is ok it’s OK. my son is playing fortnite on my pc and it’s connecting via a wireless card in my pc.

he can get a ping of around 20-30 which is acceptable. but then sometimes it flies up to 1,100 which seems to be the max value in fortnite and since it’s hitting that value it’s probably higher

now I know gaming over wifi is always gonna be a crapshoot to some degree, and it’s a a few rooms

but anyway is there some kind of way in which I can determine if the problem is something maybe I can address by moving stuff or if the issue is more isp related?

i’ve tried to do some basic network analysis to see if any other program is the issue but not on my pc so far

how did you randomly insert that carriage return

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Install Fortnite on your pc and let your son play there

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

lotta packet loss over the pipes to NZ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

same as usual, try to press space on ios and stupid return key jumps under my finger

Raluek posted:

plug in an ethernet cable to see if it's a wifi issue, or something upstream?

hmmmm well my mums pc is hardwired into the modem, do you know if there is a tool could somehow analyse the network over periods of time?

you can do speed test and get ok results but it’s more that the issue is sporadic periods of extremely poor ping rather than can’t get good download rates

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lotta packet loss over the pipes to NZ

until about a year ago nz had total internet domination over australia, state laid fibre to every man and his dog. but lately it’s turned a bit poo poo. just inconsistent.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

it's that damned wifi :argh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
is there only one ethernet port on the modem? a simple switch will give you more.

the ping skyrocketing is packet loss. if you know the ip of the server, you can open up the command prompt and run like a hundred pings to it to see how frequently the loss is happening. a tracert might tell you where in the loop it is happening.

the most likely culprit to start is wifi. from there it depends on where in the networking between you and the actual game server the drop is occurring. ntt here in the states is terrible about causing dropped packets for some games to the point that i have a dedicated gaming vpn just to bypass them and the rest of my comcastic routing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

until about a year ago nz had total internet domination over australia, state laid fibre to every man and his dog. but lately it’s turned a bit poo poo. just inconsistent.

yeah i was just joking around echi. you guys may be further away geographically and not have big CDN POPs like we do but you are correct, your state broadband is way loving better than ours. if only i could turn back time and prevent the coalition from sabotaging the aussie NBN...

echinopsis posted:

hmmmm well my mums pc is hardwired into the modem, do you know if there is a tool could somehow analyse the network over periods of time?

WinMTR can be useful, also iperf if you have a remote server you can run it against.

Mr. Nice! posted:

the ping skyrocketing is packet loss. if you know the ip of the server, you can open up the command prompt and run like a hundred pings to it to see how frequently the loss is happening. a tracert might tell you where in the loop it is happening.

high RTT doesn't equal packet loss. not receiving ICMP echo responses might indicate packet loss when testing with ping.

echi do you have straight FTTP or is it like FTTN where you get VDSL over copper from the node? if it's the latter i'd check your router settings, make sure MTU is set to 1492 and MSS is set to 1452 wherever possible on the WAN side of the router. i've got FTTB and that was a big issue for me when trying to do over like 20Mb/s

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ping your local gateway a bunch that will isolate you’re wifi

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my computer stopped freezing. except it wouldn’t wake up this am. but it also ran a surprise windows update so maybe that’s related.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

kitchen in between

check if the ping issue only happens when people are cooking because it might be the microwave intermittently jamming the wireless band

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
that only matters if they’re using 2.4ghz. shouldn’t interfere with 5ghz.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've had so many computer problems at work today, I'm home and I just want to grill dammit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr. Nice! posted:

that only matters if they’re using 2.4ghz. shouldn’t interfere with 5ghz.

i wouldnt dismiss it as a possibility due to harmonics, idk how tightly controlled microwave oven emissions are.

but if he's on the other end of the house, he might have dropped down to 2.4 anyway since the path loss is higher. in fact, if it's a dual band wifi situation, and it just randomly doesnt work right, maybe it sometimes connects to 2.4 and sometimes connects to 5

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

i wouldnt dismiss it as a possibility due to harmonics, idk how tightly controlled microwave oven emissions are.

this was going to be my exact comment and i'm proud of my fellow yosposters for how much stupid radio nerd poo poo we've learned over the past 15 years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
someone managed to climb under the house for completely unrelated reasons and gently caress up the fibre anyway so a technician is coming out and who knows that might change the scenario again

Pile Of Garbage posted:

echi do you have straight FTTP or is it like FTTN where you get VDSL over copper from the node? if it's the latter i'd check your router settings, make sure MTU is set to 1492 and MSS is set to 1452 wherever possible on the WAN side of the router. i've got FTTB and that was a big issue for me when trying to do over like 20Mb/s

hmm I don’t know. I am pretty sure it’s fibre up to the house. i’ll have to wait for a chance to check these. appreciate the help

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou to everyone for the helpful advice

I remembered I had my asus router from my old place and I managed to put it into AP mode and then the pc is connecting to it via the 5ghz band and there have been no packet losses so far

so the problem is my mums old router

also interestingly, I ran speed test on the pc over 5ghz and got approx 300 internet points and interestingly on my mums pc which is etherneted into the router it only gets like 30

is it possible her pc is really so old and slow that the bottle neck is her pc and not the router or internet?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

this was going to be my exact comment and i'm proud of my fellow yosposters for how much stupid radio nerd poo poo we've learned over the past 15 years

RF weirdos unite, lol

echinopsis posted:

thankyou to everyone for the helpful advice

I remembered I had my asus router from my old place and I managed to put it into AP mode and then the pc is connecting to it via the 5ghz band and there have been no packet losses so far

so the problem is my mums old router

also interestingly, I ran speed test on the pc over 5ghz and got approx 300 internet points and interestingly on my mums pc which is etherneted into the router it only gets like 30

is it possible her pc is really so old and slow that the bottle neck is her pc and not the router or internet?

just for you echi i dug out an old vista machine (jonny you might get a kick out of knowing this was the final iteration of my bench rig from the electronics/pc shop), installed the last supported version of firefox on it, and while it will run the speed test it gets about 1/10 of what it should despite having gigabit etc. it got 59mbps versus the 550 i get on other machines.

it's even got 6GB of ram! but an early core2 just doesn't have much horsepower these days, even compared to my current 10-year-old desktop.

so imma call this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just looking rn and the pc my mum uses and it’s an amd a4-7300 with 8 jiggabytes

which apparently is a 2014 cpu with 2 cores

hmm for ages she’s been talking about upgrading and I’ve been saying I can’t imagine that the bottleneck is the pc. turns out I am wrong as heck!!

thankyou raluek for the intensive deep dive into the topic :worship:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
well, it is 6 years newer and about twice as fast as this low-end core2, but yeah i wouldn't assume that it's not the bottleneck. especially if you don't know how well taken care of it has been. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2357vs909/AMD-A4-7300-APU-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E6320

if you want to troubleshoot it, off the top of my head the easiest things to try are to boot that machine from some linux live usb to at least rule out the cpu/board/ram. does it still have a spinning disk? does it have gigabit ethernet? sanity check stuff like that.

if you have a laptop with an ethernet port you can plug that into the same cable that usually goes to the desktop to see if there's some issue with that cable or port on the modem.

all depends on how much you wanna play with it. if it's slow as poo poo, it's going to be an improvement no matter what you replace it with, and it kind of doesn't matter what's wrong with it if you just need an excuse to upgrade. that was a low end system 9 years ago.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
How should I go about reinstalling windows as SAFELY as possible?

Pretty sure I have a nasty rootkit, check this out

https://imgur.com/a/b2tQTFi

I'm running Windows 11 pro with an Asus Z690-a mobo and a 13600k with the latest ME

Secure boot, DEP enabled, no VT-d, no hypervisor enabled, ASUS Armory crate disabled in bios, all the windows security is enabled

I even ran ShredOS on a M.2 before installing Windows

Legit thinking about getting an external DVD reader for installation

Any help would be amazing

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

I had TONS of weird entries in drivers/etc

https://imgur.com/a/1e4IoUD

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh just wait til you find the event log. You'll be tearing your hair out.

Or when you search services.msc and see so many things disabled!

Or when you notice all the stuff in system32 is a duplicate of syswow64 that's when you know you got a real live wire.

===
But for real, backup, and with another computer download the media creation tool to make a thumb drive.
Boot from it and run the clean command from diskpart (shift+f10 to get a cmd window during windows installer). If you want, flash your motherboard bios, video bios, ssd firmware. I offer that as an upcharge for the especially paranoid.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

down1nit posted:

Oh just wait til you find the event log. You'll be tearing your hair out.

Or when you search services.msc and see so many things disabled!

Or when you notice all the stuff in system32 is a duplicate of syswow64 that's when you know you got a real live wire.

===
But for real, backup, and with another computer download the media creation tool to make a thumb drive.
Boot from it and run the clean command from diskpart (shift+f10 to get a cmd window during windows installer). If you want, flash your motherboard bios, video bios, ssd firmware. I offer that as an upcharge for the especially paranoid.

Bless you for the reassurance

Yeah it's probably paranoia combined with me messing around with settings too much.

I wish windows home had bitlocker :(

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah windows is a huge mess of legacy code and random ideas developers had years ago made to work surprisingly well and astonishingly fast until you start looking for dents. Or gashes. Or entire parts of the ship duplicated underwater and taped together, lashings broken free, and your personal data trailing behind.

For the record I didn't really look at any of the network /open port entries. Don't know poo poo bout them. But everything else looks super commonplace.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

Bless you for the reassurance

Yeah it's probably paranoia combined with me messing around with settings too much.

I wish windows home had bitlocker :(

You can get a windows pro key for like $15 from sa-mart

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AEMINAL posted:

do you even know what any of this means? because it looks completely normal. if i may ask, what prompted you to look at all these things?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

AEMINAL posted:

If that’s /etc/services that’s normal it has a list of official registered ports from iana. It’s what they’re called in case for some reason that information is important and doesn’t mean they’re running.

Edit: You should probably enable qotd.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 16, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

huh i didn't know the badbios guy posted in yospos. small world

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

spankmeister posted:

do you even know what any of this means? because it looks completely normal. if i may ask, what prompted you to look at all these things?

Not really, I thought I did at the time.

Sleep deprivation + a lot of Adderall ( :q:) can make me security manic (probably because I love reading stuff like bleepingcomputer and listening to darknet diaries, and horrors like BlackLotus existing)

At least I'm not paranoid about it anymore, slept for goddamm 12 hours last night and I'm gonna stay off the amphs for a while.

Good cognitive behavioral therapy for me at least!

Internet Old One posted:

If that’s /etc/services that’s normal it has a list of official registered ports from iana. It’s what they’re called in case for some reason that information is important and doesn’t mean they’re running.

Edit: You should probably enable qotd.

Thanks!

What's qotd BTW?

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 17, 2023

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Jenny Agutter posted:

You can get a windows pro key for like $15 from sa-mart

Oh I have Pro, just wish home had bitlocker as well so there's less stuff to freak me out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

read Google project zero i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015