Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Considering that nowadays you can stop and rest to recover grey HP for free, I read that change as also reducing the gap between the haves and the have nots(character that's new or poor has at least some way to heal, people who can buy consumables aren't as far ahead of them as they were before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

No update on the court case and no recourse to get your money back if they cut and run or are shut down tomorrow…

Yeah I was really curious about this. I want to play Dark and Darker again, but am really uncomfortable with their current situation.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Stuttering issues are highly variable and thus extremely frustrating. Pretty sure it's mostly a network/server thing at this point.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I was really curious about this. I want to play Dark and Darker again, but am really uncomfortable with their current situation.
It's all of 35bux, if you get more than ~4 hours of enjoyment it's already a better deal than buying a couple of movie tickets.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Their approach to the cash shop seems really really lovely for a $35 game

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sushibandit posted:

Stuttering issues are highly variable and thus extremely frustrating. Pretty sure it's mostly a network/server thing at this point.

It's all of 35bux, if you get more than ~4 hours of enjoyment it's already a better deal than buying a couple of movie tickets.

We probably shouldn't encourage people to buy from people who team up with scammers and frauds, even if it is 'only' 35 dollars.

Especially when said people are going back on all of their promises and making it microtransaction hell.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I did go back and watch some of their interviews and while they aren't far from what they said they were gonna do, or what they promised, they have taken a few steps back. Out the gate, there were pretty on board with a buy once and play type of style, with no mentions of purchasable dlcs, so that's kind of annoying. But it's not like that wasn't gonna be expected. I guess you can get those classes in other ways and it's not like they are the most powerful classes, so it's not a huge issue. It's not like you are P2W at this point. I think what's most concerning is that they haven't really stuck to much of what they wanted to do, and considering the lawsuit, for them to just go in hard like this and try to get as much money as possible is something I'd consider.

I'm trying to keep an eye on who is playing, how much fun they are having, the longevity of things, etc and I'm already noticing a decrease. You can for sure have fun with this game, but I don't see most people sinking 20+ hrs into it this week. In a single day, it's already lost 60-70% of its viewers, and from who I'm seeing stream it, a lot of the bigger streamers are people that just get onto a game and stream until the next thing is out. A good example would be a streamer I know and follow who was very outwardly not about this game and praising other games instead of it, but is currently streaming. A lot of people just get onto a game like this and ride it into the ground, never to play it again. So while the game initially looks popular, its popularity is a little propped up.

So be careful. The viewership numbers on Twitch could be a little misleading. Ultimately, $35/$50 isn't much to lose and you could have fun if you have a couple people you want to play with from time to time. Open a couple beers, slay some nerds, etc. And it seems like all you'd lose by buying it now and not 3 months from now is the $20 you'll see when it goes on sale around Christmas, if it gets there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kchama posted:

We probably shouldn't encourage people to buy from people who team up with scammers and frauds, even if it is 'only' 35 dollars.

Especially when said people are going back on all of their promises and making it microtransaction hell.

Got all my money back from chaf.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've already had a fuckton more fun playing this than I had playing Diablo 4. Game still owns. If things go pear shaped I'm gonna hassle Xsolla for a refund, but I'm happy to support Ironmace.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Game seems both really fun and also 50/50 on being a cashout/scam. A land of contrasts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sushibandit posted:

Eh, i'll wait a bit longer, it's not a big deal. I hope Dark and Darker can come back to Steam soon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

sushibandit posted:

movie tickets are very overpriced

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Did they say if buying it on this weirdo website will still entitle you to a steam key?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The cash shop is Apex characters and cosmetics. Both of which you can unlock through regular game play. I don't really think it's all that bad. They don't want P2W micro transaction hell, which is probably what you'd get from Nexon. That said, that's far from my primary concern of whether this game will continue to exist in any sort of time span, and they're not inspiring confidence right now.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Lister posted:

Did they say if buying it on this weirdo website will still entitle you to a steam key?

This is almost 100% no. I don't see them posting about that, but this is such a rare thing.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I want to play but the sketchy website is a big turnoff.

Seems like they'd have been better off just waiting to release it legitimately instead of what they did - they had plenty of built up hype - and that they chose to not is actually what is most concerning to me.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

What "sketch website" are you all talking about? They're selling it directly on darkanddarker.com with card processing through Xsolla (which I at least know from path of exile so it's not that sketch) and have their own (garbage) launcher to download/play through.

Who the hell goes for any non-steam non-gog 3rd party option when you can buy direct from the studio?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

sushibandit posted:

What "sketch website" are you all talking about? They're selling it directly on darkanddarker.com with card processing through Xsolla (which I at least know from path of exile so it's not that sketch) and have their own (garbage) launcher to download/play through.

Who the hell goes for any non-steam non-gog 3rd party option when you can buy direct from the studio?

they just wanna complain about some stupid poo poo, gently caress em

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

sushibandit posted:

I mean the fact that they partnered with this weird 3rd party option, and that they released in what seems like such a rushed manner.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play it and I think I'll get my money's worth. Enough so that I'll probably just suck it up and buy the direct-from-vendor version. It's just all very odd.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the website's sketch but they're a smaller dev team trying to manage a rollercoaster of up-and-down drama and probably got approached by a company from another country with a lot of cool sounding buzzwords. that doesnt completely absolve them of partnering with them or anything but idk why people are alleging a top down conspiracy

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Steam, EA launcher, Epic, Uplay, or Rockstar launcher would all be unsketchy. Steam is the only ideal one, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Endorph posted:

the website's sketch but
it's literally a completely normal website

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

not their official website the one they partnered with. cham games or w/e

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

My only concern is that with the legal issues the game will vanish into thin air extremely abruptly but that didn't stop me from buying it

You don't have to buy it off the weird recently-made publisher site that had a totally different business model 1 month ago and probably shouldn't. They probably just offered devs money to be listed with startup money or something, Blasphemous and a few others are on it too. Just buy direct if you're gonna do it

IronicDongz posted:

eh https://web.archive.org/web/20230409164238/https://www.chafgames.com/

gay devil fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 9, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
^wasn't talking about whatever this is, I don't know why you'd go to anything but the website named after the game

this is not a game you wanna be playing at peak hours rn, the stuttering is borderline unplayable currently

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 9, 2023

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

IronicDongz posted:

^wasn't talking about whatever this is, I don't know why you'd go to anything but the website named after the game

this is not a game you wanna be playing at peak hours rn, the stuttering is borderline unplayable currently

Any product wants to be in as many markets as possible.

Buying directly from developers is definitely not customary practice as just witnessed with crazy slow downloads etc

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
My word

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Shuka posted:

Buying directly from developers is definitely not customary practice as just witnessed with crazy slow downloads etc
yeah but we're not talking about steam here, we're talking "some 3rd party thing literally no one's ever heard of or would normally search for" or "the website named after the game you're looking for

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

How much is gear a factor in this game? Are players that join a week, (or two, or a month) in going to get steamrolled and farmed by teams of uber-geared players?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gear matters quite a bit but also it's not a game where only one team wins, so you can not infrequently eke out escapes where you just don't directly fight better geared teams.
sometimes this means going down to hell levels because the blue portals got taken, but usually you only have to deal with pve there and if you're careful you ought to be ok.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

That’s well and good, but how do they plan to keep new player onboarding not a miserable experience? Are there regular resets or something? Or is this just not something to worry about?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They do plan to have seasons.

And gear is more easy come easy go.

The maps have a sort of difficulty curve to them so if you want better gear, you need gear and be on a better map.

The early maps, gear is really easy to get, but not that great.

Onboarding is mostly learning to break a barrel.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Yeah gear is crazy important in overcoming adversity. I had a streak of extracting 4 times in a row with a friend and one where only one of us got out the 2 rounds beforehand. On the 4th of the streak we found a nuts purple plates legs for his cleric and with all of his other decentish gear from runs before that he hadn't stashed away because it was too good for a level 6 to die with he straight up tanked a red skele blow only taking <10% total HP in damage. A little bit before this post I extracted 4/5 times in a row, with a fresh character, as a ranger, almost entirely because I went back into the dungeon with grey shop bought Longbows and Arming Swords. Magic staffs are virtually always worse than a spellbook or crystal ball, and the starting staff for the wiz (and lesser so Warlock) is absolute dogshit. It doesn't hurt as bad as a Cleric, even though any book would be better.

That being said, losing stuff isn't that big of a deal and should be expected, there are absolutely going to be seasonal wipes. The more blinged out the larger the target, everybody wants a cape. The most important part is being able to get past the zero extractions thus zero gold point; going into a dungeon with a 8gp Falchion is a TON better than the free arming sword.

Pay-for, or 'play a ton to buy with earned currency', cosmetics that at best have a minor stat change are fine by me, especially if IM does actually continue to support the title in a non-f2p/p2w kind of way assuming that they don't get sued into annihilation. Oh no, the squirrel on a skewer is paid currency only :laugh: Iron Mace has said from the start that they weren't going to put OP FOMO equipment behind paygates, if they stick to that I'll be darn happy. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about new classes being behind the same gates, but I am almost at my first earned blue shard after night two of EA.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 9, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I randomly dropped a good blue cape on my cleric recently by the way, got it off a skeleton champ in goblin caves. those things are more worth killing than many players realize.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hell yeah, congrats! The mini-boss mobs seem to be dropping significantly, and consistently, better stuff than previous rounds. Those purple plate pants my friend got were off of a wraith that we killed, and he sold them for 750 gp within the hour. I think I've only seen one or two that had fully disappointing drops.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man there really is nothing else like this game. Had a good first night of it - must been five or six escapes which is probably what I got in entire playtests before. The best one was when we spawned behind the church and while clearing it the first portal spawned behind the big double doors, a wizard opened it trying to steal and my buddy yoinked it from him, I chased and killed the mage and the next portal came up in the very next room.

Player count was around 22k when I got on last night I didn't expect it to be huge considering you now have to pay to get in and it's not on Steam. Who knows how long'll last but millions paid twice as much for the bad sequel to the worst sequel of all time which is also going to include a battle pass.

From a gameplay perspective the game is going to be a lot harder for newbies - the additional skeleton types are far more dangerous and the reds and blacks spawn more often. They also kept the darker version of the dungeon that was used for the latter part of the last playtest which I think was a poor move in general but especially in light of the mobs being harder.

edit: according to Reddit (citing Discord) classes are going to be free and they are working on refunding bluestone spent on them.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 9, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
**Early Access Hotfix #1**

@everyone, We are making a patch to fix some known issues and to improve the game.
This patch will start at <t:1691598600> and will take up to 2 hours.

When the patch goes live, matchmaking will stop immediately to allow current matches to end properly, and the server will remain open for the next 30 minutes.
We recommend all users who are still online to properly exit the game within this time to safely ensure their player status.

**Changes:**
- Fixed a stuttering/rollback issue.
- Fixed an issue preventing Mimics from appearing in the Normal Goblin Caves.
- Fixed an issue where the UI were misaligned when setting hotkeys.
- Fixed some spots on maps that made it too easy to cheese some monsters.
- Rewards in one of the High Roller Goblin Cave modules has been slightly increased.
- The item drop rate quality of the Cave Troll in the Normal Goblin Caves has been slightly increased.
- Giant Worm's item drop rate quality has increased slightly.

Thank you for having fun despite the various problems. We will do our best to improve faster.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Oh hell yeah. The stutter luckily only ruined one run that I went in with mediocre loot, the other 5 or so times were all starting loot only runs.

I think I found the highest selling single slot item that I've seen yet.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Game is still really good, hopefully they can either win the lawsuit or just agree to give Nexon a cut of the profits

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm hoping it works out for them in the end. I'm not picking it up just yet. I'm gonna wait and see. I've got a lot of stuff currently and more soon. I just don't have the time to devote to it I guess. Between Baldur's Gate 3 and Armored Core, I don't have room for another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had not realized Dark and Darker was available through its official website, but in retrospect that seems pretty obvious. At first I saw people saying that it was only available exclusively through a gaming platform called https://www.chafgames.com/