Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

What organization is this?

Mutual Aid committee, nominally associated with the city's DSA chapter, but has a lot of members who aren't necessarily DSA folks. We do a grip of liaison stuff with the unhoused in our area, open up and volunteer at warming/cooling centers when weather is too crazy, get camping gear and clothes and art supplies and books as much as we can to get out to people as well.

We are almost universally hated by City Council, because most of City Council are terminally brainwormed by the police union and the Chamber of Commerce 🥴

Edit:

mawarannahr posted:

there's a California organization called Mutual Aid Monday, presumably that

Oh poo poo, for real? I don't actually know those guys, I'll have to look them up and see if they also operate in Nor Cal.

Willa Rogers posted:

My city has a couple non-profits that coordinate end-of-day giveaways from local restaurants to shelters & foodbanks.

And drat, SlimGoodbody, what you're doing is wonderful. :glomp: And as you said, it helps you get outside of your head while providing community, social & political connections.

✊✊✊

To anyone struggling with loneliness or doomerism, the best advice I can give is to reach out to people aligned with your politics and be of service to your community. Capital wants you alienated and alone, buying dumb horseshit for another brief hit of dopamine. You deserve better. You deserve to be connected to good people, and you can be!

SlimGoodbody has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

a lot of good preschool is only 9-3. so dual income households also need a second child care program to get to a full day, one parent with flexible hours, or a grandma nearby.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Twerk from Home posted:

Urban daycare costs in high cost of living cities are about as much as a mortgage in those cities, yeah.

Many of their customers have both parents earning professional wages.

It’s good that we pay kid rent on top of regular rent. I’ve heard like 1800 per month and that’s more than my rent, in Los Angeles.

lol y millenil no babby?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

eh, this is just a consequence of high interest rates. not surprising its more than 2020, when interest rates were practically zero and corporations desperately needed loans.
maybe the government needs to give another half trillion round of business loans that will be "forgiven"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

skooma512 posted:

It’s good that we pay kid rent on top of regular rent. I’ve heard like 1800 per month and that’s more than my rent, in Los Angeles.

lol y millenil no babby?

I did get a hoot out of someone I know ranting on about an actual daycare law up here price controlling it under limited circumstances to 10$ a day, about how it was totally unsustainable and blah Dee blah the poors.

Idiot ofc has 4 kids, is fairly well off and still depends on loading them off on his parents, inlaws or others fairly consistently.

selec posted:

text translated
Know your place and smile bitch

lmao

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Childcare is horrifically expensive but for me it was closer to 1500/month. I guess if you assume a time period with 2-3 kids it could get that high. Also yeah, the hours seem to assume one parent is home anyway.

The standard unit for measuring the cost of children is car payments per month

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Growing up, my paternal grandmother would commute to our house so she could watch us while my parents went off to work. That was "childcare" for us.

This had the added benefit of her drilling me constantly on grammar, spelling, and vocabulary, and I have her to thank for having such impeccable English.

Miss you, grandma.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

How in the world can parents afford to work if they have multiple kids under 5 these days?

By making daycare providers employees of the state thus breaking the linkage between what parents can afford and what providers are paid.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Willa Rogers posted:

OH, I remember what I wanted to ask. I saw a local reddit thread about daycare & they mentioned the (non-profit!) Y daycare ran $2400/month for one child.

How in the world can parents afford to work if they have multiple kids under 5 these days? Is that a standard rate for either corp. chains like bright start & the non-profits?

Our home-based daycare is $1,500 a month. Wife wants a second kid but we literally cannot afford it until the first is in school. And because of our typical millennial decision to put off kids, that might mean trying to get pregnant at like 40.

Going to need some immigrants or more mormons to make up for this sub-replacement-level performance.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Growing up, my paternal grandmother would commute to our house so she could watch us while my parents went off to work. That was "childcare" for us.

This had the added benefit of her drilling me constantly on grammar, spelling, and vocabulary, and I have her to thank for having such impeccable English.

Miss you, grandma.

grandmas ftw

the destruction of the extended family by capitalism is one of its worst offenses and directly leads to worse health and educational outcomes

Troutful
May 31, 2011

skooma512 posted:

lol y millenil no babby?

I think it's gross that my generation can't afford to have kids, but childcare is actual, hard work, not comparable to a landlord collecting a rent check each month for doing nothing. I think some people have maaaaaybe lost sight of the fact that if you live in a society where -- bluntly -- you can't pawn off your kids onto meemaw for free/cheap anymore, either because meemaw lives 1,000 miles away or because she has to work in the formal economy to afford not to die, then you shouldn't be surprised that certain types of informal/hidden labor like childcare become formalized, professionalized and suddenly expensive. Wish we could soak the rich to pay for childcare in this country.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

our current economic nightmare will never provide full time 70k$+ jobs for a food bank so I think volunteering is ok atm

I don’t think it’s volunteers which is preventing them from offering FT jobs

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tsitsikovas posted:

If you would like to place a coin in Charon's Eye, please say COIN

*sigh* coin. for the last time coin. coin coin coin.

You said, JOIN. If you would like to JOIN the Underworld, please tell me a little about yourself first

IM loving DEAD AND WOULD LIKE TO MOVE ON

I'm sorry, what was that? Please hold on the line for the next available representative.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Don’t worry, if your employer chooses to offer it as a benefit you can divert up to $5,000/year in to a tax advantaged savings account to pay childcare expenses. But you have to make the decision to find that account during benefits selection the prior year and if your circumstances change in the 15 months after that we’ll too bad, you should have known last September! Also you have to spend that entire amount of money during the year you put it aside or too bad, it’s forfeit.

And no paying a family member for child care out of those funds, gotta use a stranger.

So simple, accessible, and $5,000 definitely covers childcare for a year.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ArmZ posted:

grandmas ftw

the destruction of the extended family by capitalism is one of its worst offenses and directly leads to worse health and educational outcomes

YMMV with grandmas. Ours usually won’t watch our kid for more than an hour at a time per week because she’s decided she wants to be a MLM girl boss at the ripe old age of 70 and is too busy hustling. I know we’re not entitled yadda yadda yadda but she talked a big game about providing daycare for us when she was trying to convince us to move out here.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Child care is so expensive and burdensome that my wife stopped working after we started having kids and it was/is the best financial option available. She would basically be working to pay for child care, and if she worked full-time then my health care plan would penalize me $400 a month for keeping her on my family insurance plan. It's loving insane.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

FistEnergy posted:

Child care is so expensive and burdensome that my wife stopped working after we started having kids and it was/is the best financial option available. She would basically be working to pay for child care, and if she worked full-time then my health care plan would penalize me $400 a month for keeping her on my family insurance plan. It's loving insane.

My wife did that and is now having a hard time finding a job. Every sanctimonious HR person gets all smug when asking her to explain the gap in her employment and she doesn’t get a call back after that. Why did having a gap in employment become such a glaring red flag? I seem to remember it being pretty typical growing up. We’re apparently expected to shuffle from job to job without taking time for anything else if we want to be considered a good little cog in the machine.

Nodelphi has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Aug 9, 2023

Troutful
May 31, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

if she's taking care of your kids, she's still working!!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Don’t worry, if your employer chooses to offer it as a benefit you can divert up to $5,000/year in to a tax advantaged savings account to pay childcare expenses. But you have to make the decision to find that account during benefits selection the prior year and if your circumstances change in the 15 months after that we’ll too bad, you should have known last September! Also you have to spend that entire amount of money during the year you put it aside or too bad, it’s forfeit.

And no paying a family member for child care out of those funds, gotta use a stranger.

So simple, accessible, and $5,000 definitely covers childcare for a year.

The Dependent Care Flexible Savings Account is 100% pinnacle Democrat-brained horse poo poo attempt to "solve" a problem with bureaucratic, means-tested nonsense that self-selects for people who are rich enough to have enough time to figure out how to work it.

Having said that, I was extremely excited when I learned about them because it meant shaving a couple k off our yearly daycare costs.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nodelphi posted:

My wife did that and is now having a hard time finding a job. Every sanctimonious HR person gets all smug when asking her to explain the gap in her employment and she doesn’t get a call back after that. Why did having a gap in employment become such a glaring red flag? I seem to remember it being pretty typical growing up.

it shows a lack bullshitting competence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think it’s the gap, businesses are just not hiring anyone . (for FT jobs )

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nodelphi posted:

My wife did that and is now having a hard time finding a job. Every sanctimonious HR person gets all smug when asking her to explain the gap in her employment and she doesn’t get a call back after that. Why did having a gap in employment become such a glaring red flag? I seem to remember it being pretty typical growing up.

Having a gap shows that either you're trying to hide something or you're a lazy slacker who doesn't care for the grind. Like taking care of kids is such a easy thing in the world (just give them a tablet with YouTube loaded and have some snacks and that's all you really need to do) that taking years off from work will just be a bad mark against her. HR is just nothing but bunch of managers, you think they work for employees?

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Zodium posted:

it shows a lack bullshitting competence.

This is true, she refuses to even slightly embellish her resume like it’s high school and she’d be cheating on a test.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

She should just say she worked at Twitter.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nodelphi posted:

I’m currently a stay at home dad and that’s my number one fear going back to work one day. On one hand I’ll have time on my side and can pivot to just about anything I want because my wife makes enough for the whole household. On the other hand I fully expect HR reps to be complete assholes and treat my parenting period as an extended vacation.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

IDK maybe it's because I babysat special-needs kids who needed a ton of supervision when I was younger (yes, my monitor is on) but I've always thought it's perfectly reasonable to expect to have to give up your job in the formalized economy to take care of your own kids, because childcare is a job. In the past it would be done by meemaw or the kids' older siblings, or you'd send the kid to work on a farm or whatever to offset the cost of child rearing, but we don't have those options now.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Nodelphi posted:

This is true, she refuses to even slightly embellish her resume like it’s high school and she’d be cheating on a test.

I'm mentoring a high school kid who put "proficiency in Latin" on his CV when he was applying for an internship at Hewlett Packard lol. Please encourage your wife to do a little healthy embellishment.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's just very grim that politicians and the media act like declining birth rates are a mystery or only demonstrate progressive social mores (which they do, to an extent, people can choose not to have 8 kids) rather than the very obvious "people can't afford to!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Relevant Tangent posted:

you should be able to change your name on a whim
your "given name" as if it were a gift

You should. Changing it for Subway's lovely food, though, is pretty pathetic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

declining birth rates is more complicated than people can’t afford kids. it’s also people can afford to not have kids

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

People can afford not to have kids? I'm not sure I understood you

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chad Sexington posted:

The Dependent Care Flexible Savings Account is 100% pinnacle Democrat-brained horse poo poo attempt to "solve" a problem with bureaucratic, means-tested nonsense that self-selects for people who are rich enough to have enough time to figure out how to work it.

Having said that, I was extremely excited when I learned about them because it meant shaving a couple k off our yearly daycare costs.

Yeah I still use that garbage.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

NeonPunk posted:

People can afford not to have kids? I'm not sure I understood you

e.g. you don't need to have lots of kids to do manual farm labor

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Troutful posted:

if she's taking care of your kids, she's still working!!

oh absolutely

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh goodie another heavily-means tested garbage that barely anyone qualifies for

bidenomics

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Thoguh posted:

Yeah I still use that garbage.

it was awesome being an accountant in my spare time juggling both our FSAs and making sure we applied them correctly and uploaded receipts.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Nodelphi posted:

My wife did that and is now having a hard time finding a job. Every sanctimonious HR person gets all smug when asking her to explain the gap in her employment and she doesn’t get a call back after that. Why did having a gap in employment become such a glaring red flag? I seem to remember it being pretty typical growing up. We’re apparently expected to shuffle from job to job without taking time for anything else if we want to be considered a good little cog in the machine.

You gotta lie on your resume no one checks that poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

Just lie. It’s not that difficult OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

gradenko_2000 posted:

Miss you, grandma.

You got lucky, not every grandma is that amazing. My MIL is patient and kind but has lost the plot with raising kids, my wife’s nephew is a mess and it’s a combo of my MIL raising him and never saying no but also his parents being completely absent. My own mom would not be my choice to watch my kids for extended periods either. My parents watch them during school breaks and that’s it. She takes great care with them but doesn’t have much patience and my kids love to push buttons because they’re too smart,

We’re putting our youngest in pre-pre-k and losing 2 hours of care I’m the afternoon. Not sure what we’ll do because extended care at their school is too expensive. I have to shift my work hours until they can entertain themselves for an hour and half.