Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

i am harry posted:

man

you really appreciate the size of a single room of some rich fucks house when you’ve been next to homelessness. lying there on someone’s couch you’re lucky enough to know, just thinking about what you could do with a whole Kamala Harris’s Dining Room to call your own

+1 to this post. I spent most of 2022 homeless or hopping between hotels before my parents took me in again, listening to my parents complain about a tenant is always a surreal experience, because every word out of their mouth about it is objectively wrong and from a place of 0 experience of that poo poo but I just nod and say nothing because that terror, of being homeless, hasn't been something that's left me yet, it might never leave me, and I just have to....exist around these people, who have never known genuine hardship like that but will judge us like they had the right to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be fair to your parents, a lot of people who have known genuine hardship also turn into irredeemable shitheads the instant their luck changes. American work ethic culture is toxic as hell and very few people manage to maintain any real perspective once they convince themselves they're finally getting what they "deserve."

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
i wish i got what i deserve so i could be a giant rear end in a top hat for no reason instead of now

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair to your parents, a lot of people who have known genuine hardship also turn into irredeemable shitheads the instant their luck changes. American work ethic culture is toxic as hell and very few people manage to maintain any real perspective once they convince themselves they're finally getting what they "deserve."

What I hear from a lot of anti-union workers is every self-respecting man wants to be a business owner someday and who wants a bunch of loser peons demanding more of your money when you finally make it there?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

What I hear from a lot of anti-union workers is every self-respecting man wants to be a business owner someday and who wants a bunch of loser peons demanding more of your money when you finally make it there?

temporarily embarrassed labor exploiter

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

trying to figure out what happened here

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12269-31st-St-Gobles-MI-49055/213742898_zpid/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

50k seems to be the minimum bid

I would guess it goes for 500k

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

lmao half the house is missing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

looking into it the price seems to be jsut for the land with the expectation that the buildings will be demolished

maybe not 500k

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Someone inherited it or picked it up private sale and got in over their head.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Cult compound that didn't end up with enough cultists to finish building it

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_LvRPX0rGY

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

looking into it the price seems to be jsut for the land with the expectation that the buildings will be demolished

maybe not 500k

It's western Michigan, the land is useless

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

the optimism is infectious. along with all the animal feces

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Cult compound that didn't end up with enough cultists to finish building it

yeah that makes sense

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

needs a big-rear end window at the bottom of those stairs imo. and insulation

Apr 7, 2003

lol what a cuck, I had $40K into my lovely 115 year old house within two years

The AC isn't even a big problem, a new compressor unit is only $4-6K

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol what a cuck, I had $40K into my lovely 115 year old house within two years

The AC isn't even a big problem, a new compressor unit is only $4-6K

$40k in repairs? uh is that normal and expected? :stare:

Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

absolutely with any older house

My understanding is that 110 year old houses aren't the norm in other places in the US. My last house was built in 1907, this one was built in the 1860s at some point, it just is what it is.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

absolutely with any older house

My understanding is that 110 year old houses aren't the norm in other places in the US. My last house was built in 1907, this one was built in the 1860s at some point, it just is what it is.

ok I just wasn’t planning repairs so quickly. guess that makes me a cuck.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

no that’s the sort of thing an inspection should catch

new roof is, what, like 15-20K?
new ac is like 5k
new water heater is 3k

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I would never buy any house older than the 2000's. Maybe the 90s, but only if it needs minimal repairs. I sold my house this past summer, and I should never have bought it. 1970s, with almost-original wiring, bad foundation, and a dying AC. Yeah, only buy an older home if you have the money to rehab it or to pay a premium for someone else's competent rehab.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am harry posted:

new ac is like 5k
new water heater is 3k

My grandma's A/C broke on her tiny 50s 3 bedroom house.

Multiple contractors came out, quotes for replacing most of the system with entry level stuff, not even fancy Carrier brand or anything, ranged from $12k-$20k.

The $12k was some promo offer stacked with a senior discount.

Apr 7, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

ok I just wasn’t planning repairs so quickly. guess that makes me a cuck.

There's a guy who used to inspect new construction in Colorado and detail all the deficient poo poo but his videos aren't on YouTube anymore. Makes you think

i am harry posted:

new ac is like 5k
new water heater is 3k

When I bought in 2015 my inspector didn't catch the crumbling chimneys (which aren't in use). Gonna cost me $7K or so to fix on the way out

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

I would never buy any house older than the 2000's. Maybe the 90s, but only if it needs minimal repairs. I sold my house this past summer, and I should never have bought it. 1970s, with almost-original wiring, bad foundation, and a dying AC. Yeah, only buy an older home if you have the money to rehab it or to pay a premium for someone else's competent rehab.

Depends, anything really old that's still standing has the benefit of survivorship bias

The house I just bought is the nicest place I've ever lived. It was built in the 1860s. It benefited from nearly 40 years of ownership by a realtor who used it as a showcase property and kept everything up to date.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just paint the chimneys the same color as the walls . maybe the buyers won’t notice them

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

just paint the chimneys the same color as the walls . maybe the buyers won’t notice them

water stains

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

My grandma's A/C broke on her tiny 50s 3 bedroom house.

Multiple contractors came out, quotes for replacing most of the system with entry level stuff, not even fancy Carrier brand or anything, ranged from $12k-$20k.

The $12k was some promo offer stacked with a senior discount.

window units ftw, and for $500 total for the important rooms (bedroom & tv room & maybe a couple others).

Apr 7, 2003

when you live in a house from the 1860s

Anything older than 2000 is just too much work

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Depends, anything really old that's still standing has the benefit of survivorship bias

The house I just bought is the nicest place I've ever lived. It was built in the 1860s. It benefited from nearly 40 years of ownership by a realtor who used it as a showcase property and kept everything up to date.

"pay a premium for someone else's competent rehab."

Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

"pay a premium for someone else's competent rehab."

Yeah? Confused about what you're trying to say here.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hell yeah much better kitchen than before

no windows is a little odd though

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hell yeah much better kitchen than before

no windows is a little odd though

There's a window on the right

I think the previous owners were afraid of crime, there are two windows that open at all downstairs

Apr 7, 2003

HPH is an affluence demon trying to suck me into his social class

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

RadiRoot posted:

I bought mine at the end of 2021 and have dropped about 15k so far (replacement chimney, new crawlspace jackposts, misc plumbing and heating and electrical repairs) and I'm still looking at another 10k on a furnace and oil tank and 1k on a new stove soon. This doesn't include a broken ceiling fan, some desperately needed remodeling of a bathroom and laundry room, or weather-proofing, or things I really should do like get my crawlspace sealed up. poo poo is expensive. Anyway im not having kids, i have a house

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

its not a place to live. its an INVESTMENT

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i am harry posted:

new ac is like 5k
new water heater is 3k

new ac is at least $10k these days at an absolute minimum. $12k may be a more realistic floor. prices surged since 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we paid $22k in 2021 with full duct replacement, which included a $4k rebate from SMUD for switching from a gas heater to electric