Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I argued for the all coast conference last year and everyone said i was crazy now here we are.

The playoff structure is really only here for 2 years as proposed for the 24/25 season and the 25/26 season at which point its going to be renegotiated. I think conference auto bids are close to dead or would be cut back to maybe just the 4 leagues of "value" (SEC, B1G, Big12, ACC) and you leave a 5th auto bid for the highest other conference champ if you want to be friendly (they really don't need to be the way this is going, there is not nearly as much media value in G5 playoff teams vs name brands).

I think they'll be friendly, and leave the 5th autobid, but $$ is going to be based on teams represented rather than the more even split they currently have, so getting 4 teams in is going to earn your conference a whole lot more than getting 1 team in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Komet posted:

I have to strongly disagree on the WVU market value. I've made this argument before, but WVU has more fans in West Virginia than Rutgers does in the New York metro area. No one gives a gently caress about Rutgers, but almost every West Virginian is a die hard fan. WVU does actually bring more to the table financially than UVA, Rutgers, or Maryland. UVA is attractive to the Big Ten because of academics, and it has good basketball and baseball and some great Olympic sports programs (especially swimming). But if we are looking only at football for a superconference, then give me WVU.

WVU's national profile has admittedly diminished somewhat since moving to the Big 12 and not playing their eastern rivals anymore.

When I went to law school one of my roommates went to Rutgers undergrad, and I can remember multiple weekends where he invited friends from Rutgers up to hang, and I'm pretty sure I've still never met anyone that cares about Rutgers football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

In the old days, Penn State found mountains of guys in the mill towns and coal camps that the snootier elite schools turned their nose up at for one reason or another, then used those guys to bludgeon everyone else to death. Pitt used largely the same tactic, which worked for decades. They were really the only two Northeastern teams by 1970.

In 1981, Dan Marino had Pitt up 14-0 after the first quarter and out gained PSU 144 to -1. In the second, Marino throws two picks and it goes to the half tied at 14. Penn State rips off a total of 48 unanswered points, destroys Pitt's shot at another title, and takes permanent control of the Northeast. I'm pretty sure that the only Northeastern school other than Penn State that's made even a cursory shot at a title since then is WVU in 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if WVU's #2 is the only top 2 ranking by anyone in the Northeast other than Penn State since that game in 1981.

I think Matt Ryan's BC got up to number 2 at some point in '07 as well.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Greg Schiano is back at Rutgers, isn't he? I'm kind of interested in seeing if he can make them relevant again

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Sash! posted:

In the old days, Penn State found mountains of guys in the mill towns and coal camps that the snootier elite schools turned their nose up at for one reason or another, then used those guys to bludgeon everyone else to death. Pitt used largely the same tactic, which worked for decades. They were really the only two Northeastern teams by 1970.

In 1981, Dan Marino had Pitt up 14-0 after the first quarter and out gained PSU 144 to -1. In the second, Marino throws two picks and it goes to the half tied at 14. Penn State rips off a total of 48 unanswered points, destroys Pitt's shot at another title, and takes permanent control of the Northeast. I'm pretty sure that the only Northeastern school other than Penn State that's made even a cursory shot at a title since then is WVU in 2007. I wouldn't be surprised if WVU's #2 is the only top 2 ranking by anyone in the Northeast other than Penn State since that game in 1981.

WVU also went undefeated before their bowl game in 1988 (legit, Major Harris clowned Penn State so bad the latter refused to play WVU once they went to the Big 10) and 1993 (not a bad team but not a real contender, destroyed by Spur-dog in the bowl game).

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Sash! posted:

BC in 07 and VT in 99 both got up the num 2. VT is probably as far south as I'd go and consider Northeast, but if you're including WVU I'd argue to include VT.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I rooted for Notre Dame to beat WVU in 1988 as a 5 year old and almost got thrown out of the neighbor's house. They were loving pissed

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

What was BC ranked during the Immaculate Reception? I could google but :effort:

Okay, I thought it was called that but I guess it's not. BC was #10 when Flutie threw the hail mary.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 8, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drunk leprechaun posted:

BC in 07 and VT in 99 both got up the num 2. VT is probably as far south as I'd go and consider Northeast, but if you're including WVU I'd argue to include VT.

VT is definitely Mid Atlantic.

WVU is in a weird spot for cultural and historical reasons that tie them to the Northeast more than the Mid Atlantic. Morgantown is a Rust Belt city.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

VT is definitely Mid Atlantic.

WVU is in a weird spot for cultural and historical reasons that tie them to the Northeast more than the Mid Atlantic. Morgantown is a Rust Belt city.

WVU is mountain Pittsburgh.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

WVU is mountain Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is mountain Pittsburgh

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zimbomonkey posted:

Adrian Peterson's younger brother committed to UCF yesterday. He will start his college career 17 years after big brother's ended. Has there ever been a bigger gap between two brothers playing in the NCAA?

The Marinovich half-brothers are pretty close. Todd was born in 1969 and Mikhail in 1988.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Why do so many people apparently think that Texas is going to be better than last year, having lost human cheat code Bijan Robinson and bonus DC Gary Patterson?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thermos H Christ posted:

Why do so many people apparently think that Texas is going to be better than last year, having lost human cheat code Bijan Robinson and bonus DC Gary Patterson?

It isn’t cfb season without an overrated Texas thinking they are back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thermos H Christ posted:

Promising QB and a conference with no top dog. TCU and K-State are probably both regressing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I do keep forgetting they're still stuck in the Big 12 for a year, that probably goes into it.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Hyped QB with a year under his belt if I were trying to make an argument I guess. Apparently the receivers are good and they just return a lot of guys who are not Bijan? Eh...I'm not the one making this argument but that seems to be the idea.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

It isn’t cfb season without an overrated Texas thinking they are back.

Hopefully Texas can finally get the monkey off their back

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grittybeard posted:

Hyped QB with a year under his belt if I were trying to make an argument I guess. Apparently the receivers are good and they just return a lot of guys who are not Bijan? Eh...I'm not the one making this argument but that seems to be the idea.

Counterpoint: Sark

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I love Gus Malzahn

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

The only games they watched was almost beating the weakest Alabama team in years at home and destroying Oklahoma who didn't even have a quarterback.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was at the Texas/Oklahoma game last season, and it was hilarious/sad. There was a point in the first half when OU looked like they had figured out Texas was weak against their rushing attack, and then they decided to pass (despite, as mentioned, them having no quarterback).

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Komet posted:

I rooted for Notre Dame to beat WVU in 1988 as a 5 year old and almost got thrown out of the neighbor's house. They were loving pissed

as they should have been.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Calidus posted:

Pitt and WVU are definitely fringe teams without much media market when you already have PSU. The pick team for the DC/Maryland market is hard. Does Tech have that big of fan base? I am not sure I ever really understand how PSU in middle of central PA cow fields became the only elite football school in northeast.

Pitt divested from football heavily in the mid 80s in favor of academic spending. This basically didn't change until we joined the ACC and funnily enough now actually spending money Pitt has the second best ACC conference record behind Clemson. Still no respect cause of those down years though even putting all pro after all pro into the NFL.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Demolishing the football stadium and building a basketball stadium in the exact same spot also sent a bit of a message

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sash! posted:

Demolishing the football stadium and building a basketball stadium in the exact same spot also sent a bit of a message
Yep. For those who don't know, Pitt plays in the Steelers stadium across the city. It's 5 miles away from campus and it's not really walkable regardless of the distance due to the roads and areas involved. Students have to board busses provided by the university to get to and from the stadium. Predictably, turnout is generally low.

and they're still bad at basketball too lol

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
speaking of football stadiums...

https://twitter.com/GTAthletics/status/1689002302739517440

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I thought the naming scheme was usually "_____ Field at ____ Stadium"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I hate it

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Do you pronounce the Y when you say Hyundai?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Joey Freshwater posted:

Do you pronounce the Y when you say Hyundai?

hyundai rhymes with sunday

e: not sure if correct or if i just have it that way bc of the kanye west song tbqh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

hyundai rhymes with sunday

e: not sure if correct or if i just have it that way bc of the kanye west song tbqh

It’s funny because I work in freight forwarding and one of the ocean carriers is Hyundai Merchant Marine but everyone just calls them Hyundai. It’s not related to the car manufacturer as far as I know.

Anyway everyone pronounces the Y so it’s Hyun-day. So now whenever I see the car I can’t help but pronounce it that way

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s funny because I work in freight forwarding and one of the ocean carriers is Hyundai Merchant Marine but everyone just calls them Hyundai. It’s not related to the car manufacturer as far as I know.

Anyway everyone pronounces the Y so it’s Hyun-day. So now whenever I see the car I can’t help but pronounce it that way

Looks like HMM isn't connected, but Hyundai Glovis is.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I own a Hyundai. I'm from Texas originally, so it's Hyun-Die.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://apnews.com/article/georgia-tech-hyundai-bobby-dodd-stadium-naming-rights-7efc03a1c8f00edabf4b5c5e0b60b42d

quote:

“Like Georgia Tech, Hyundai is a global brand that is synonymous with quality”

Heh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I had to actively hold my brain from leaking out of nose when I saw the Quikrete patches on the Braves unis.

loving corpo pig poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cthulu Carl posted:

Looks like HMM isn't connected, but Hyundai Glovis is.

It’s all connected. If you want to learn more this is a decent start: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaebol

Anyway I missed all the realignment stuff due to vacation and have come back to a very strange world. RIP conference of champions. Oregon in the big 10 is going to be weird and cause strife in my house.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Anyway I missed all the realignment stuff due to vacation and have come back to a very strange world. RIP conference of champions. Oregon in the big 10 is going to be weird and cause strife in my house.

It's crazy how quick it went down, you didn't even need to be a long vacation to miss all of it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

I had to actively hold my brain from leaking out of nose when I saw the Quikrete patches on the Braves unis.

Quikrete sucks rear end anyway, they don't use enough portland cement. PakMix supremacy. Good luck finding it, though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

It makes me so mad every time I see it. I was blown away the Yankees got one too. I thought for sure they’d hold out because of all their No Names No Facial hair tradition BS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Joey Freshwater posted:

It makes me so mad every time I see it. I was blown away the Yankees got one too. I thought for sure they’d hold out because of all their No Names No Facial hair tradition BS

But the no names and no facial hair bs aren't a new revenue stream.