Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

infernal machines posted:

it stopped being ironic sometime around when innisfil started paying uber to provide "public transit" services

Market-based transit service!

”Gord Wauchope, former Innisfil Mayor” posted:

Rather than place a bus on the road to serve just a few residents, we're moving ahead with a better service that can transport people from all across our town to wherever they need to go.

This sucks so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it does, and it cost the city a fortune, and they put that money in uber's pocket instead of building public transportation, and now they still need public transportation and they don't have any money

so glad to see some brain trust in n.s. try the same experiment but with housing. i'm sure it will be a completely different result

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

it does, and it cost the city a fortune, and they put that money in uber's pocket instead of building public transportation, and now they still need public transportation and they don't have any money

so glad to see some brain trust in n.s. try the same experiment but with housing. i'm sure it will be a completely different result

lol I was wondering whether Tim Houston’s idea to solve the housing crisis using the Cortland Cronks of the NS buisness industry would make it here

it’s gonna be a wild ride ending with a whole bunch of people getting PII stolen

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

while I have you here - is there a good history as to how Newfoundland was the only place to lose Dominion status and end up as a colony within a colony in 1949?

I honestly think it had to do with the death of their working class men in the Great War but it might be more than that

Oh I have no idea. I seem to remember they were hosed over by the mother country but I don't remember the specifics. Was that at the same time as the fisheries tension with Denmark?

Newfoundland was not really in favour of joining Confederation, if I remember, iirc had a very different political culture than RoC too. I'm assuming it was a fiscal thing, just like how the British half-assed managing the Caribbean colonies: first trying to convince Canada to take them (which Canada refused because all of the black people could vote and move within Canada), then making a West Indian Federation as unappealing as possible, I'm assuming because it would be maximally advantageous to the UK for some reason if it was a very weak state. That makes me think that they wanted Newfoundland off their books and managed to sell Canada on it.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Aug 7, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gently caress me, we could have had some decent islands in the west indies instead of the maritimes?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I found a well-reviewed recent book: Where Once They Stood: Newfoundland's Rocky Road towards Confederation

"Where Once They Stood challenges popular notions that those who voted against Confederation in 1869 and for union in 1948 were uninformed and gullible. Raymond Blake and Melvin Baker demonstrate that voters fully understood the issues at stake in both cases, and women became instrumental in determining the final outcome, voting for Canada in 1948, believing it provided the best opportunities for their children."

"“Confederation was debated more intensely, and for a longer period, in Newfoundland than in any other province.
Although in 1864 it participated in a series of conferences with other British North American colonies to
consider union, it was not until 1949 that it became a part of Canada. Even then, Newfoundlanders voted only
narrowly in a national referendum for this change in their status. In the intervening decades, however, the issue
of Confederation with Canada was never far from their minds, and for the most part they were not in favour. Even
so, leading politicians in Canada and Great Britain, as well as some in Newfoundland, continued to promote the
idea of the original makers of Canada that Newfoundland should be included. Before the two 1948 referenda that
finally settled the matter in favour of Confederation, only once, in 1869, did Newfoundlanders themselves cast
their ballots directly on the question of joining Canada. Nevertheless, in many of the general election campaigns
between 1869 and 1932—the last time Newfoundlanders went to the polls before surrendering responsible government
in 1934 in the midst of an imminent financial collapse—union with Canada was an underlying issue. In various
campaigns, both the incumbent parties and opposing hopefuls openly and explicitly declared their opposition to
joining Confederation. But frequently, too, politicians of all stripes considered Confederation as one effective
way out of a variety of economic, social, and financial problems confronting Newfoundland and its people.”

“Most
Newfoundlanders knew full well what they were voting on in 1948, as they had in 1869. The long-term struggle that
Newfoundland had in providing its citizens with a decent standard of living, with acceptable public amenities,
was understood by most voters—particularly those in rural parts of the country—and it played a critical role in
the outcome of the 1948 referenda. Those promoting Confederation in the 1940s were also well aware of that stark
reality and promised in union with Canada a new relationship between state and citizen. They offered a social
citizenship that would provide to all Newfoundlanders a basic level of social, economic, and cultural well-being
to which many were unaccustomed and full participation in the state’s economic, social, and political
life.”

Well now I just feel bad that they voted to join Canada just a generation before Canada decided to dismantle social, economic, and cultural well-being and full participation in the state’s economic, social, and political life.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Well now I just feel bad that they voted to join Canada just a generation before Canada decided to dismantle social, economic, and cultural well-being and full participation in the state’s economic, social, and political life.

can we somehow blame them for that happening?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

the didn't vote hard enough

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Isentropy posted:

lol I was wondering whether Tim Houston’s idea to solve the housing crisis using the Cortland Cronks of the NS buisness industry would make it here

it’s gonna be a wild ride ending with a whole bunch of people getting PII stolen

They didn’t even Buy Local™️, it’s literally a company owned by some UBC EngiBro that skims 5% of the rent, and the landlord lobby has already outwardly stated they’re against it because it gives tenants rights they don’t have under existing short-term rental arrangements.

The John Lohr “brain” :airquote: trust is pre-occupied with keeping that lake in Windsor full of water, can’t spend any time thinking about housing!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Isentropy posted:

while I have you here - is there a good history as to how Newfoundland was the only place to lose Dominion status and end up as a colony within a colony in 1949?

I honestly think it had to do with the death of their working class men in the Great War but it might be more than that

The Canadian Encyclopedia is generally a good place to start, you can look at the referendum. rural catholics proved to be the deciding factor in getting Newfoundland to join Confederation enticed by the family allowance program.

Joey Smallwood then got to run the show forever and got scammed by a Latvian crackpot while trying to attract German industry to invest in Newfoundland since the rest of Canada wasn't interested. Best thing they got out of that was hydroelectricity, which given that Newfoundland is working on spinning up green Hydrogen production with a deal signed with Germany means the Rock may have had the last laugh after all.

If anyone wants to read about the whole attempt at attracting German industry and immigrants: Escape Hatch: Newfoundland’s Quest for German Industry and Immigration, 1950-1970 is a good read. It's a pretty wild story at times.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Aug 8, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I always just assumed the vote was rigged tbh. Newfoundland went bankrupt like three times over the previous five or so decades so there's no way a barely functioning post-war Britain wanted to keep dealing with them

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The Innisfil Uber experiment is laughable. It basically functions as the exact opposite of public transit and has no economy of scale: instead of increasing ridership making the system more efficient, every person who uses it costs the municipality more money. As a result, the municipality has tried various limits to keep costs under control like a minimum trip distance or maximum number of monthly trips.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shofixti posted:

The Innisfil Uber experiment is laughable. It basically functions as the exact opposite of public transit and has no economy of scale: instead of increasing ridership making the system more efficient, every person who uses it costs the municipality more money. As a result, the municipality has tried various limits to keep costs under control like a minimum trip distance or maximum number of monthly trips.

Shocking, if only they could have studied the dozens of other cities where the same problem happened.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

apatheticman posted:

Shocking, if only they could have studied the dozens of other cities where the same problem happened.

remembering things isn’t allowed, every idea needs to be empirically tested individually as long as even one private entity can profit from it

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DaysBefore posted:

I always just assumed the vote was rigged tbh. Newfoundland went bankrupt like three times over the previous five or so decades so there's no way a barely functioning post-war Britain wanted to keep dealing with them

Oooh this sounds like a nice perfect piece of backstory for my new canlit novel about a young painter who gets lost in the nothern wilderness and learns about their dark family history and has sex with a bear, maybe.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Speaking of private entities Tim Houston's latest method to... "solve".... the NS housing crisis is partnering with some kind of AirBNB-but-Shittier techbro service to let people rent out their spare bedrooms. Epic. A billion to twin highways, zero to build new public housing. But the Uber of Guest Rooms gets its cut. gently caress yeah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

If anyone wants to read about the whole attempt at attracting German industry and immigrants: Escape Hatch: Newfoundland’s Quest for German Industry and Immigration, 1950-1970 is a good read. It's a pretty wild story at times.

Do you have any thoughts on Vikings to U-Boats: The German Experience in Newfoundland and Labrador? I saw it while looking for a book on Newfoundland's relationship with RoC.

Shofixti posted:

Innisfil has really interesting politics. It's like a sort of Old Ontario petty bourgeoise you don't see much. So I guess "interesting" doesn't mean good, just that Paul Sadlon, the cattle baron still owns who-knows-how-much of the county like it's 1870. If Canada is a nation of shopkeepers, and Barrie is a city of Hells Angels, Innisfil is like those southern English villages they interview Brexit voters in. I wish I could describe it better.

The township that can't pay for transit also keeps expanding the South Simcoe Police, to the point where they have a Ceremonial Mounted Unit.

It's just very... je ne sais quois.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Aug 9, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Speaking of private entities Tim Houston's latest method to... "solve".... the NS housing crisis is partnering with some kind of AirBNB-but-Shittier techbro service to let people rent out their spare bedrooms. Epic. A billion to twin highways, zero to build new public housing. But the Uber of Guest Rooms gets its cut. gently caress yeah

my brain autocompleted this to Tim Hortons and got really confused at why it was trying to solve the Nova Scotian housing crisis

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

my brain autocompleted this to Tim Hortons and got really confused at why it was trying to solve the Nova Scotian housing crisis

space for more tfws

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

Same

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think I read an article about some Timmies franchisee in PEI opening up company housing for his workers that he ever so graciously charges them rent for. Might be mixing up the companies though

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Was it Alberta where they kept getting busted for having bunks in the break room or whatever?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A bunch of Tims franchises have got busted for making TFW employees sleep on the premises.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

A bunch of Tims franchises have got busted for making TFW employees sleep on the premises.

the perfect bunk buddy: frozen premade donuts. everything smells like timbiebs.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh I think it was this, but apparently the tenants managed to win a case against eviction (presumably by accident)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6762139

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

this is the thing that prompted the reference to innisfil in the first place

it just keeps happening

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I want to move out of Ontario because the people here are dumb enough to vote in Ford again and in doing so voting for austerity measures that so happen to lead to investment opportunities for businesses and former premiers.

I thought Ontario was fairly left, but it does seem like the Chud has been activated by all sorts of misinformation and our gov is loving stupid by, in the time of misinformation et al. got Canadian news banned cause they think Google and Facebook care about being able to host CBC, and Post Media rags.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you can move out of ontario, but you presumably have to move into somewhere, and boy do i have some potentially bad news about the entire rest of the nation, and this continent

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ontario was fairly left, Neoliberal Parliamentarism: The Decline of Parliament at the Ontario Legislature

In Neoliberal Parliamentarism, Tom McDowell provides an alternative approach to understanding the decline of parliament at the Ontario legislature, an approach that highlights the politics of neoliberalism and the significant impact it has had over the last four decades.

Throughout, McDowell offers a structural critique of parliament, claiming that restrictions on the legislature cannot be separated from the ascendance of neoliberalism as the dominant social and policy paradigm in the province. Tracking the evolution of procedure at the Ontario Legislature from 1981 to 2021, McDowell shows that, beginning in the early 1980s, the establishment of increasingly restrictive procedural rules was critical to securing the passage of controversial neoliberal restructuring policies. Further, he argues that the decades-long shift towards de-democratization and the concentration of political power in the executive ought to be understood in the context of neoliberalism’s rejection of parliamentary sovereignty and legal positivism.

As an in-depth study of the implementation of neoliberalism policy on the political apparatus of Ontario, Neoliberal Parliamentarism is critical reading for scholars and students interested in the relationship between neoliberalism and de-democratization, the politics of Ontario, and parliamentary procedure more broadly.

All of which to say, it doesn't matter if they vote for Ford or not, they're getting austerity. The political question being settled by parliamentary maneuvering freed up conservative energy to just propagandize middle class home owners as the consequences of their policies played out. So, Middle Class Regular Ontarian Homeowners see the healthcare system absolutely hosed up beyond belief because the Tories were able to implement policies under Harris that are only taking place now, decades after they happened and when those same people have stopped paying attention to politics? The media they consume tells them it's the Loony Left's fault, they have to vote Ford to get down to business and fix it.

At least that's my understanding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was someone in the toronto lan thread a little while ago going on about how great it was to have "options" for healthcare

you know, as opposed to having functional healthcare

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a hilarious talking point repeated about how "we can't fix healthcare by just throwing money at it" and it's like, how would you know that? we've been defunding healthcare per capita for 30 loving years. maybe we could fix it by just funding it as well as it was funded back when it worked?

crazy notion.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

there was someone in the toronto lan thread a little while ago going on about how great it was to have "options" for healthcare

you know, as opposed to having functional healthcare

Yeah, you can see them building consensus for privatizing healthcare and appealing to crab in the bucket suburbanites, who think they can buy their way out of a sinking ship, without realizing that it was scuttled deliberately, is the perfect way to do it.

"Going to Emerg sucks. The hospitals have no beds."
"Ontario's government run hospitals have huge wait times and chronic shortages, we need free market efficiencies to give Ontarians a choice"
"I'll just pay to not wait in Emerg and pay to have a bed. (because) I can afford it, I deserve it (unlike people who can't afford it)."

there's a hilarious talking point repeated about how "we can't fix healthcare by just throwing money at it"

The problem is, as I've discovered with my wife and parents, that they will just hit repeat whatever you say to this. "Can't" has a meaning in an almost metaphysical sense for them because... goddamn they really believe it's a law of the universe rather than just an ideological horizon and the Tories saying "Won't".

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Aug 9, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i made the point that healthcare isn't working because it has been deliberately and systematically been made to not work.

it's not that we don't know how to make it work, we do, and have, and this isn't some strange new world where we need to re-learn all those lessons. we just have to stop intentionally breaking it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Liberals just announced a new pilot program for Recognized Employers to hire TFWs more easily, without having to complete a burdensome Labour Market Impact Assessment (the thing that proves that they can't find a single person in the country to fill their critically important minimum wage position).

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

is this the 103 where the crashes are TOTALLY not because of drunk driving being a thing honest

it’s wild how NS has old school NY machine politics where the condition of your roads are tied to whether you got the right party in or not

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

throwing money at the healthcare system will not work because the system does not work well for how illness and disease currently impact our population. it’s easy to point out the police/MIC as giant money pits but healthcare isn’t too dissimilar and has a growing private industry around it that exploits the need to fill gaps that should probably be looked at with a more critical lens.

so much of our system is being stealth privatized. virtual care is the most disturbing space for this imo. it’s completely normal for people to pay for healthcare, especially young people, who should be able to access it for free but there are so many ways basic primary care is gatekept and obviously predatory tech companies have seen this and exploited it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Isentropy posted:

is this the 103 where the crashes are TOTALLY not because of drunk driving being a thing honest

it’s wild how NS has old school NY machine politics where the condition of your roads are tied to whether you got the right party in or not

They're twinning three. That one between New Glasgow and Antigonish which is almost done iirc, one from the city to Lunenberg, and the one in Windsor which they can't start until figure out how to deal with the most vital piece of infrastructure in the entire province: an artificial lake used by a local snow resort and property developers who want to build lakeside suburbs.

Don't drive so I don't know their numbers but also I'm sure that applies to all of them lol. Of course we could just rebuild the train network to reduce the amount of drivers and lower the speed limits inst- *user was blackbagged by the NSDOT*

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

tbf twinning highways is a slam dunk safety measure and we should do it but also house people.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Sending the air force to carpet bomb the highways would probably save even more lives in the long run. I'll get the sex perverts at National Defense on the line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ban cars