Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Thorgot posted:

Carl Mark Force IV got 6.5 years of jail in a plea deal in 2015

so theoretically he should be out by now

and having paid his debt to society he's hopefully gone back to doing what he does best: extorting bitcoin kingpins

i think if i saw him in public it'd be like seeing a real life comic book character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legitimately the book about dreadpirate and silk road is magical, well worth the read. Even the small humizing attempts on Ross at the start are then completely overshadowed by how he went full on evil calling for murders (and falling for the fake hitman ads lol)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
rules for hiring a hitman:
1. it's an FBI sting
2. yes it is

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

rules for hiring a hitman:
1. it's an FBI sting
2. yes it is

wrong

it can also be a scam

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
didn't one of the people ross was trying to kill pretend to be a hitman and take the contract on himself? just masterful grifting right there

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yes, and I believe it was Carl doing it lol

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yes, and I believe it was Carl doing it lol
CARL MARK FORCE IV had the "victim" pose dead in a bathtub or something making it look like he was drowned in it, the entire episode is some of the highest quality lols to have come from buttcoin ever.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Mind you that was the literal loner basement dweller who was a moderator on silk road and got punched by the FBI, and then had his account stolen by force who stole bitcoins, then tricked the dude into going into a fake murder plot. Dude was fake beat to poo poo then murdered all to make Carl's online ego seem more real after Carl stole the bitcoins lol.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Legitimately the book about dreadpirate and silk road is magical, well worth the read. Even the small humizing attempts on Ross at the start are then completely overshadowed by how he went full on evil calling for murders (and falling for the fake hitman ads lol)

Seconded, very entertaining read

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What’s the name of the book?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
mycrimes.epub

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It just occurred to me that if vanity addresses are generated in a deterministic way by iterating through the list of keys until it finds a match, the similar first and last digits social engineering attack can itself be exploited:

Somebody can passively monitor for new addresses that are similar to existing ones being loaded up with the pocket change used for the attack and if they spot one, plug those criteria into the vanity address generator and get access the same address and instantly swipe any funds acquired by a successful attack as soon as they come in.

I wonder if when we'll see any copycats getting burned this way.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There's no iteration, it's just throwing a random number into the keypair generator and seeing if it spits out what they want. If it does, hooray; if not, throw out and start again

To answer the inevitable followup question, yes, landing on an original wallet would net thousands of btc and nothing would stop you from moving it.

There are undoubtedly asics that exist to try to create hash collisions, but that same tech is also valuable outside the butt world and would be government-level secret if shortcuts were found

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 7, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Once I finish generating all 196,385,600,286,334,710,857,791,565,804,391,698,421 wallets I'll own every bitcoin.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Is that what the LBC is doing?

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sentient Data posted:

There's no iteration, it's just throwing a random number into the keypair generator and seeing if it spits out what they want. If it does, hooray; if not, throw out and start again

To answer the inevitable followup question, yes, landing on an original wallet would net thousands of btc and nothing would stop you from moving it.

There are undoubtedly asics that exist to try to create hash collisions, but that same tech is also valuable outside the butt world and would be government-level secret if shortcuts were found

I wonder what the expected value of having your PC crank on random addresses is vs. actually mining the shitcoins.

Apparently there is already a pool doing exactly that, whose FAQ is amazing.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I wonder what the expected value of having your PC crank on random addresses is vs. actually mining the shitcoins.

Apparently there is already a pool doing exactly that, whose FAQ is amazing.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/

You are way better off mining pretty much anything on any hardware then you are doing this

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I heard the Server can Remote-Execute Code on my Client? WTF?

Yes, the server can do that and the server uses that only for client consistency checks and dealing with client inconsistencies. Despite security-experts turning blue in their face, this is actually a security feature: namely security of the server and validity of the data sent to the server. In order to ensure this data consistency in this specific use case, the server has to have the power to execute turing-complete checks on clients to trust them. As proof of validity, the client submits itself to the server. Let us rephrase it in simple terms: If you want to board a plane, for the planes' - and thus also your security, you have to undergo certain scanning procedures and comply to restrict some of your freedom or you will not board that plane. Same story.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well that seems legit, putting that poo poo on my computer right now

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, this project is dedicated to finding a new, innovative way to steal from people. Yes, taking part does require you to install a rootkit on your computer on our behalf. What’s with that look? Don’t you want to take part in the perfect crime and prove how much of a smartboy computer whiz you are?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ymgve posted:

wrong

it can also be a scam

There was a case in China a few years back where some guy hired a hitman for some sizable amount of cash, then the hitman hired another hitman to do the job for him, and then that hitman hired a third hitman and so on until the last hired hitman called the target of the hit and asked if he wouldn't mind pretending to be dead for a while so they could split the money.

I don't think cryptocurrency was involved in this case, but if it wasn't it should've been.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Only way I'm hiring a hitman is if he's in some kind of supervillain suit.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
I kept a link to that one, and the cops even lined up all the hitmen in order! First guy was going to be paid a million won(?) and the last in the chain was promised 100k

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50137450

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yuan, not won. Although that would be another layer of comedy as one million won is like £600.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

I heard the Server can Remote-Execute Code on my Client? WTF?

Yes, the server can do that and the server uses that only for client consistency checks and dealing with client inconsistencies. Despite security-experts turning blue in their face, this is actually a security feature: namely security of the server and validity of the data sent to the server. In order to ensure this data consistency in this specific use case, the server has to have the power to execute turing-complete checks on clients to trust them. As proof of validity, the client submits itself to the server. Let us rephrase it in simple terms: If you want to board a plane, for the planes' - and thus also your security, you have to undergo certain scanning procedures and comply to restrict some of your freedom or you will not board that plane. Same story.

Holy poo poo, they are proudly broadcasting that their server implicitly trusts incoming bytes.

Either that or they are transparently lying...

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So they like said SBF wasn't going to be charged with campaign finance violations but then changed their minds.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Once I finish generating all 196,385,600,286,334,710,857,791,565,804,391,698,421 wallets I'll own every bitcoin.

or, you know, a lot less

from an exploit posted on the orange site today

quote:

On Libbitcoin Explorer 3.x versions, bx seed uses the Mersenne Twister pseudorandom number generator (PRNG) initialized with 32 bits of system time

Secure cryptography requires a source of large, non-guessable numbers. If the random number generator is weak, the resulting cryptographic usage is almost always compromised.

For technical people: in this case, practical wallet security is reduced from 128 bit, 192 bit or 256 bit to a mere 32 bit of unknown key information.

A 32 bit key space is 2^32, or 4,294,967,296 different unique combinations of derived BIP39 mnemonic phrases or other key formats (BIP32). Spoiler: That’s not as many combinations as it sounds.

With enough optimizations, a decent gaming PC can do a brute-force search through 2^32 wallet combinations in less than a day.

oops

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Holy lol, I thought bad prng was something this thread called out on day 1

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

What’s up with Nugen coin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I loved the early bitcoin wallet program that used a random website to get their random numbers, and the site owner blocked them, so there was a period where all the wallets were made using the completely random number 503.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can't you just use random.org like everyone else?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Last I saw random.org was using real hardware rng, so it'd be unironically much much better

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Last I saw random.org was using real hardware rng, so it'd be unironically much much better

That's my point. There's a easy source of true-random available to anyone with an internet connection. If quality in your randomness matters there's no reason not to use the real stuff.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

lol they just called /dev/random

Ahahahahahhahaa

E: okay not literally, but they may as well have

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 9, 2023

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

What’s up with Nugen coin

Surprise, surprise it has "collapsed".
https://behindmlm.com/companies/nugen-universes-nugen-coin-ponzi-scheme-collapses

Well, not really a surprise, since it was a known MLM scam.
https://behindmlm.com/companies/nugen-coin-review-free-mart-gets-into-crypto-fraud

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

The comments on that first link are amazing. So many dummies.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

drk posted:

or, you know, a lot less

from an exploit posted on the orange site today

oops

32 bits of system time ought to be enough randomness for anybody

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i can't believe a company co-founded by a guy named David Crookston (2nd article) turned out to be a scam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So I got sucked into the rabbit hole on behindmlm.com website and it's pretty amazing how some of the perps behind the pyramid schemes - and occasionally the victims - comment on the articles getting real mad at the author for calling them scams.

Check the comments at the bottom of these.
https://behindmlm.com/companies/keep-it-100-collapses-website-maintenance-exit-scam/#more-89959
https://behindmlm.com/mlm-reviews/empowerlife-review-10-a-month-pyramid-scheme/#more-90248