Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

Man this thread is getting deep, I haven't watched enough SG to even hang. I like sci-fi but I'm not like, addicted to it. :okpos:

SG1 is the best! It's got all the crazy sci fi concepts of Star Trek while being mostly grounded in "the real world".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

SG1 is the best! It's got all the crazy sci fi concepts of Star Trek while being mostly grounded in "the real world".

As someone who has watched all of Battlestar Galactica, I can say real recognize real. :okpos:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This thread is pretty great too, it made me watch 48 Hours just now and this is a fun episode :yeah:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Lockheed Martin, how in the world did they build such huge spacecraft so quickly AND still keep it secret?

I mean, those are aircraft carrier sized constructions right? Would have involved thousands of workers.

Been awhile but I'm pretty sure they go over it in detail in an episode and give a documentary crew a tour, Google suggests it's Prometheus (also the name of the ship)

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Prometheus_(episode)

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

pixaal posted:

Been awhile but I'm pretty sure they go over it in detail in an episode and give a documentary crew a tour, Google suggests it's Prometheus (also the name of the ship)

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Prometheus_(episode)

Jesus loving christ, what a space colony honeypot. Where's the gas showers they lure the remaining thinking people in the world into? :gas:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

kdrudy posted:

They addressed that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RslFT2PC8Y

Modified ones would've been interesting though, try to perfect their accuracy.

I wish they would've kept the MP-5. They treat the P90 like a semi-auto rifle that can snipe bad guys from hundreds of yards away when it's just a Personal Defence Weapon that's probably only effective out to 50 yards at most.

I expect more weapon realism from a show where people travel across the galaxy using a giant ring. :colbert:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

edit: the font got messed up >:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

itry fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 9, 2023

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

redshirt posted:

There's dozens of reasons why that would not work, but consider just the fact that SG teams took a pretty high fatality rate. How are you explaining to widows how your husband was KIA but not in any known conflict?

Helicopter crash. That’s the military’s favorite excuse for deaths they don’t want to explain.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

Its a wonder those guys haven't ever been cursed. Like all that poo poo they are loving with probably has a curse on it. I guess curses aren't like, modern or whatever.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Disease, nanobots, radiation, matter phase misalignment, mind control stuff, and temporal/dimensional shenanigans could all count as curses

:science:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Overdog posted:

Its a wonder those guys haven't ever been cursed. Like all that poo poo they are loving with probably has a curse on it. I guess curses aren't like, modern or whatever.

Urgo: THANK YOU. See, I'm not that bad!

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

Sentient Data posted:

Disease, nanobots, radiation, matter phase misalignment, mind control stuff, and temporal/dimensional shenanigans could all count as curses

:science:

mmmm, noooooot really. Like none of those are genuine protonic or proton horizon mechanics.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Overdog posted:

There was the time Jack got really old on that planet where people live 1 year.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Overdog posted:

SGU happened, so I'm guessing the whole universe got cursed.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

pixaal posted:

There was the time Jack got really old on that planet where people live 1 year.

Well hey, I haven't seen all the stargates. That sounds more like time tricks though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

Well hey, I haven't seen all the stargates. That sounds more like time tricks though.

Season 1 episode I think. Some kind of Gould nanotech.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Oh man how did I miss this thread? I just started my regular (every 3 years or so, I think) rewatch. Up to the middle of season 3 so far.

What I forgot was how often an episode's concept is "SG1 go to [planet], find [device], Sam/Daniel touch [device], poo poo happens." Like my dudes you have been doing this for quite a while (although I think in the season 1 clip show they mention it's only been like a couple of months?) surely you know the number 1 thing is do not touch the mysterious device on the plinth. The body swap episode is fun because they kind of subvert this by having Teal'c and O'Neil use all the protective gear they're supposed to, and the device just... does it anyway.

Season 3 I think is the start of the period where the actors - RDA in particular - is very aware of how long this show has already gone on for and is likely to go on for. The number of planets they go to that are clearly the same part of Canadian woodland/quarry. In one of the episodes I watched last night he says something like "It's fortunate this galaxy is very... green."

The best thing I like about this program is the way you see the technology advance (both human and alien). You start in season 1 with these massive basic computers - in one episode they have dual CRT monitors in the lab and you can see how old it is, they go to a website that's like "file:///internet///www///website///egypt" etc. - and are using the standard MP5 loadouts. Then as you go through they start including the hated ZATs, they have their radio communication and drones, they start developing the space program etc. That's the cool poo poo you arguably don't get in any other sci-fi program.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Season 4 episode 6 "Window of Opportunity" is the best SG1 episode IMO, in that it contains everything that makes the show special. The humor, firstly. But also the cool sci fi concept. And lastly the real emotion of the show, when Jack snaps at the guy over his dead son.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Season 4 episode 6 "Window of Opportunity" is the best SG1 episode IMO, in that it contains everything that makes the show special. The humor, firstly. But also the cool sci fi concept. And lastly the real emotion of the show, when Jack snaps at the guy over his dead son.

I honest to Ba'al can't place 'em in any particular order, but my favourites:

-Window of Opportunity for sure. You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort, etc.
-Season 1 end season 2 opener two-parter. This is where the show really kicks off its shoes and opens a bottle of bourbon.
-The black hole episode. It's a bit on the drama side, but I get a kick out of the time dilation gag and how it gives Hammond, of Texas, a head-ache.
-1969. A good year!
-Season five, "Fail Safe". It's an existential threat to all of Earth, but the episode is a straight-up comedy show. I am confident. As am I.

Okay that's five, that's good enough. I also like Ba'al in general, and while I missed Jack in the last two seasons, Vala is a good source of humour for a lot of that run. Mitchell is a bit eh.

EvilHawk posted:

Oh man how did I miss this thread? I just started my regular (every 3 years or so, I think) rewatch. Up to the middle of season 3 so far. :words:

Sadly it's their job to touch the weird alien stuff on the plinths :smith: The huge cathode ray tube sets are pretty funny these days (Daniel's screen saver :allears:), but the show wasn't on quite long enough to have the kind of transition shows like :doink: SVU does. In the first season, you have the detectives answering cord phones, staring at CRT screens, and Munch faxing poo poo back and forth. 20+ years later and everybody's just using their smart phones to do all the evidence collecting that doesn't require the coroner or a rape kit.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rappaport posted:

You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort

Waiting until so late in the episode to give that reveal was such amazing pacing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rappaport posted:

-Window of Opportunity for sure. You are not the only one who must endure some discomfort, etc.
-Season 1 end season 2 opener two-parter. This is where the show really kicks off its shoes and opens a bottle of bourbon.
-The black hole episode. It's a bit on the drama side, but I get a kick out of the time dilation gag and how it gives Hammond, of Texas, a head-ache.
-1969. A good year!
-Season five, "Fail Safe". It's an existential threat to all of Earth, but the episode is a straight-up comedy show. I am confident. As am I.

Okay that's five, that's good enough. I also like Ba'al in general, and while I missed Jack in the last two seasons, Vala is a good source of humour for a lot of that run. Mitchell is a bit eh.

Sadly it's their job to touch the weird alien stuff on the plinths :smith: The huge cathode ray tube sets are pretty funny these days (Daniel's screen saver :allears:), but the show wasn't on quite long enough to have the kind of transition shows like :doink: SVU does. In the first season, you have the detectives answering cord phones, staring at CRT screens, and Munch faxing poo poo back and forth. 20+ years later and everybody's just using their smart phones to do all the evidence collecting that doesn't require the coroner or a rape kit.

"Honest to Ba'al" should have been an episode name.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

I love that L&O is so old that in the first season they're still using blood typing and later DNA sequencing becomes a revolutionary forensic technology that's so new and untested it gets argued about in court.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I was always sad Lord Yu got offed unceremoniously. My favorite System lord along with BALL. It felt like he was mostly trying to keep poo poo running and was tired of the youngster System lords screwing around, with him semi cooperating with SG1 several times and not being quite as openly villainous as the others I was wondering if he and his domain was gonna survive in some fashion with people and Jaffa simply choosing to continue to serve him after most other lords had been toppled and their people freed.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That episode where Carter offers up her Dad to the "good" Go'uld.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

That episode where Carter offers up her Dad to the "good" Go'uld.

The cure for cancer, a snake in the head

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

The cure for cancer, a snake in the head

Hey Dad, got some long range telemetry stuff going on. Please stop by.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sam's Best Boyfriends, ranked:

1 Martouf
2 That Replicator
3 That Ancient Stalker guy
4. loving Pete
5 Jack

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

writers wanting to make Jack / Sam work was annoying they have been through too much poo poo together to have that kind of relationship. I could see them ending up next door neighbors that have dinner as a group most nights though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Waiting until so late in the episode to give that reveal was such amazing pacing

Great episode. 10/10. No notes.

pixaal posted:

this should be the full version if you want to listen to the entire thing it's pretty good but an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36uLLJPa61Y

Watched the full thing. Some neat and funny stories in there. Like, according to Shanks, apparently the character of Vala wasn't meant to be a regular.

Rappaport posted:

Speaking of Vala... I was really impressed with the way that they managed to build a believable connection between Daniel and Vala in such a short (in-universe) time, and in only a handful of episodes too. From what was basically just an over the top Farscape easter egg, to surviving the terrible stuff they went through together. It felt surprisingly authentic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

writers wanting to make Jack / Sam work was annoying they have been through too much poo poo together to have that kind of relationship. I could see them ending up next door neighbors that have dinner as a group most nights though.

100%. He's her superior officer. AND IMO he knew he wasn't good enough for her.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Sam's Best Boyfriends, ranked:

1 Martouf
2 That Replicator
3 That Ancient Stalker guy
4. loving Pete
5 Jack

Now that's just going too far. The ancient hikikomori thing (that entire episode really) was sooo loving creepy.

Edit:

Koboje posted:

I was always sad Lord Yu got offed unceremoniously. My favorite System lord along with BALL. It felt like he was mostly trying to keep poo poo running and was tired of the youngster System lords screwing around, with him semi cooperating with SG1 several times and not being quite as openly villainous as the others I was wondering if he and his domain was gonna survive in some fashion with people and Jaffa simply choosing to continue to serve him after most other lords had been toppled and their people freed.

Yu's first prime knew he was senile and chose to protect him regardless. Truly an outlier. But even if he somewhat mellowed / got tempered because of his condition, no way a system lord that ancient wasn't a complete monster.

itry fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 10, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I forgot about the Tollan Guy. He was Sam's best BF material.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rappaport posted:

-1969. A good year!

These are all great and I feel the same; I also really love the two Aschen episodes, 2010 and 2001. It's so satisfying when the Aschen realize they're on to them, try to trap them, and then ultimately we find out at the end that all the gate addresses are bad, starting with the black hole from "A Matter of Time" I think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SourKraut posted:

These are all great and I feel the same; I also really love the two Aschen episodes, 2010 and 2001. It's so satisfying when the Aschen realize they're on to them, try to trap them, and then ultimately we find out at the end that all the gate addresses are bad, starting with the black hole from "A Matter of Time" I think.

Those are two of my favorite episodes. That there is technically no connection between them other than a hand written note that just says don't go to P34-987 or whatever makes it even more beautiful.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I just finished 48 hours. I love that Tanith goes out like a punk in the intro lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thanks for getting my hopes up you absolute bastards because of course Prime in Norway doesn't have ANY Stargåte! Also I want to give a shout out to Stargåte Universe which came out right about when I started to smoke weed so it's cemented in my mind as Good and I'm still pissed it ended on such a galactic cliffhanger :mad:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Biplane posted:

Thanks for getting my hopes up you absolute bastards because of course Prime in Norway doesn't have ANY Stargåte! Also I want to give a shout out to Stargåte Universe which came out right about when I started to smoke weed so it's cemented in my mind as Good and I'm still pissed it ended on such a galactic cliffhanger :mad:

That blows. Weird too because Amazon owns MGM which owns the Stargate franchise.

It's all available on American Amazon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

That blows. Weird too because Amazon owns MGM which owns the Stargate franchise.

It's all available on American Amazon.

It has moved streaming services several times in the last few years though, I've done complete watches on Netflix, and Hulu

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

I forgot about the Tollan Guy. He was Sam's best BF material.

Ehhhh he seemed creepy to me.

redshirt posted:

Those are two of my favorite episodes. That there is technically no connection between them other than a hand written note that just says don't go to P34-987 or whatever makes it even more beautiful.

I wonder if they did that in 2010 with the intention of making 2001? they must've right? I'll say it again, SG-1 did the funnest alternate reality timeline episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Ehhhh he seemed creepy to me.

Name a less creep alternative to Tolan guy.

lol fuckin Pete??