Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Please discuss your favorite parts of Stargate SG1.

If you can't think of anything, how about considering how many SG Teams ate it completely and were replaced, and then those replacement ate it too! And we're replaced....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of your favorite gifs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The part where pencilhands gets portaled to something awful front page

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Stargate is a loving awesome series. I never was enraptured with Star Wars, Star Trek fluctuates between fine and awful, but I like Stargate a bunch.

Like don't get me wrong, some episodes are stinkers, and it's campy and schlocky as hell, but as dumb and weird as it is it also feels weirdly grounded. And seeing how everyone grows in knowledge and procedures and stuff is so nice to see.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I just watched the whole series this past winter/spring. The wormhole extreme episodes were really funny and good.

I'm watching Atlantis now and am about 1/4 of the way through season 3. I like the snotty Asgard on the Daedalus lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Stargate is a loving awesome series. I never was enraptured with Star Wars, Star Trek fluctuates between fine and awful, but I like Stargate a bunch.

Like don't get me wrong, some episodes are stinkers, and it's campy and schlocky as hell, but as dumb and weird as it is it also feels weirdly grounded. And seeing how everyone grows in knowledge and procedures and stuff is so nice to see.

I love how it might be the unique difference of Jack being friends with Thor that changes all sorts of dynamics.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Even basic stuff like introducing stricter and more specific quarantine procedures, drones for recon before sending teams, etc. It feels realistic.

And then they have penis pistols and it's even better :kimchi:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Even basic stuff like introducing stricter and more specific quarantine procedures, drones for recon before sending teams, etc. It feels realistic.

And then they have penis pistols and it's even better :kimchi:

Indeed. I wish they used the Alpha Site more. If I were in charge, once Alpha Site was up and well running, all Gate traffic for new missions and such would go through it. Earth Gate would be highly restricted.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

My favorite part is when O'neil asks the Asgard how they gently caress and they get indignant because they've evolved beyond cumming

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I liked guessing whether an episode would take place on wet sand dune planet, rainforest planet, or gravel pit planet

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

redshirt posted:

Indeed. I wish they used the Alpha Site more. If I were in charge, once Alpha Site was up and well running, all Gate traffic for new missions and such would go through it. Earth Gate would be highly restricted.

All missions would be entirely based out of Alpha Site. Once humanity had access to subspace radio or whatever FTL communication devices, Earth Gate would have a plug positioned inside the ring to prevent any dial-in at all and only removed when it received confirmation codes from the Alpha Site, based on one-time pads shipped to the site.

Of course they ended up going through like four alpha sites so I can understand why they just went gently caress it eventually

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Back when I was working in a post production job MGM sent us all of sg1 to package and send to like hulu or something idk whoever is streaming it, and I had to QC the raw files they sent over, I was really only supposed to spot check a few parts per episode and pass them on but I just watched all the episodes for the most part and burnt through hella time because the rest of the job was like an hour worth of real work a week.

That job loving owned it was only a little over $19/hr but I pretty much just sat around and watched like a million movies and tv shows lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Anyways getting to watch all of sg1 was pretty cool, a lot of the poo poo that came through was garbage but sg1 was a good show

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

on one hand it was cool seeing earth tech up but on the other hand I do kinda miss the show before they just had a full on spacefleet and could fight battles with it and stuff

I liked the era where they were trying to catch up but mainly just strapping on stuff that they found and didn't really understand how it worked at all, there should've been more of that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Stargate SG-1 was also one of those rare TV series that ended up better than the movie it was spun off from. I didn't keep up with the Stargate shows that followed, but SG-1 was solid.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the Stargate series never ended :(

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The last great scifi series of the syndicated television era. It's unlikely we'll ever get a show of this type, with this many episodes, ever again. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MikeJF posted:

on one hand it was cool seeing earth tech up but on the other hand I do kinda miss the show before they just had a full on spacefleet and could fight battles with it and stuff

I liked the era where they were trying to catch up but mainly just strapping on stuff that they found and didn't really understand how it worked at all, there should've been more of that.

You can't just slap a US Air Force sticker on the side of a Death Glider and call it yours.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

One of your favorite gifs

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think they should shut the Stargate project down. Way too dangerous. Every episode is like a near fuckup and those jarheads almost get themselves killed and completely rely on MacGuyver to rig some poo poo to get them back home. But then you see why they want to do missions because life sucks on the base. I mean maybe if they used it for vacations or cheeky romps or whatever but not like this. SHUT THE STARGATE DOWN!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Overdog posted:

I think they should shut the Stargate project down. Way too dangerous. Every episode is like a near fuckup and those jarheads almost get themselves killed and completely rely on MacGuyver to rig some poo poo to get them back home. But then you see why they want to do missions because life sucks on the base. I mean maybe if they used it for vacations or cheeky romps or whatever but not like this. SHUT THE STARGATE DOWN!

Whatever, Senator Kinsey.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Stargate SG-1 was also one of those rare TV series that ended up better than the movie it was spun off from. I didn't keep up with the Stargate shows that followed, but SG-1 was solid.

Most of my friends who grew up watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't know it started as a film.

Teal'c is always great with his nuggets of wisdom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKqh9hWsBI

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A flatmate and I decided to revisit the show some years ago, starting with the pilot.
We were not expecting full frontal nudity and alien worm rape!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Valko posted:

Most of my friends who grew up watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't know it started as a film.

Teal'c is always great with his nuggets of wisdom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKqh9hWsBI

I watched the show many times before ever seeing the film, which I did last fall. Weird movie.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Overdog posted:

Christopher Judge cameo in MacGuyver!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9E1sNl0lVY&t=3s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WHACKO!!!!

This episode (Window of Opportunity) is the best example of why SG1 is so incredible. It's a great episode, a time loop comedic episode, that all of a sudden at the end packs a dramatic punch. The show was funny, could make fun of itself, and yet took itself serious too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Another Goa'uld fleet is coming? better get the C4 out because we gonna have to blow up another mothership :sigh:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like Patty and Selma, I've kinda fallen in love with RDA because of Stargate. He's got this adorable personal website someone else maintains for him. https://www.rdanderson.com/

He loved his dog, but she died a few years ago, and he was devastated.

RDA wanted to be a pro hockey player as a youth, but broke both his arms. So he became an actor.

He became such an actor he was a street mime in the 70's, juggling and stuff.

He loves The Simpsons

Subscribe for more RDA fun facts.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

A flatmate and I decided to revisit the show some years ago, starting with the pilot.

Yeah the pilot is significantly different in tone to the rest of the series. Was not expecting it when I watched the pilot after a bunch of other episodes lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_COZqEUZqg&t=1s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

It was on the pay cable channel "Showtime" for the first 5 years of its run. The initial nudity is for that reason.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The pilot is something like a direct sequel to the movie, iirc. I only watched the movie once, but I guess that's where the tone was coming from (before the show got to develop its own).

redshirt posted:

This episode (Window of Opportunity) is the best example of why SG1 is so incredible. It's a great episode, a time loop comedic episode, that all of a sudden at the end packs a dramatic punch. The show was funny, could make fun of itself, and yet took itself serious too.

A very funny episode, and a very sad story. Yeah.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
My brain loves replaying "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!" when I get interrupted

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
The time loop episode was great

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JAFFA! KREE!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Whenever discussing SG-1 I always like to bring up how Christopher Judge wrote a handful of episodes and wrote himself to have a scene kissing a beautiful woman in each one, Jolene Blalock in a few. Christopher Judge is awesome.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sometimes I still think back to that episode where Teal'c is living off-base and throws an avocado at a fleeing mugger or something and beans him unconscious with it at like 70 yards and smile.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Sometimes I still think back to that episode where Teal'c is living off-base and throws an avocado at a fleeing mugger or something and beans him unconscious with it at like 70 yards and smile.

Indeed.
*Detective Teal'c hat swipe

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

https://i.imgur.com/RWCNF9S.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

During the body switch episode when tealc and oniel get switched, tealc (in oniels body) holds up a razor blade, and me, being like 9 at the time assumed he was going to gut himself like a fish to let the symbiote back in.