Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

Other than getting to high ground, I still don't know how I'm supposed to deal with them. If I'm stuck on the same level as them I just leave the area and come back and try to find a way to get to a ledge before they notice me

I didn't know until it was mentioned here, and there's no intuitive way to figure it out, but when you get grabbed wiggling the joystick(s?) will break you out of the grasp, and then you can jump back and keep fighting. There's other tips and stuff that you might discover by creativity/ trial and error, but that one would not have occurred to me in a million years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

road potato posted:

I didn't know until it was mentioned here, and there's no intuitive way to figure it out, but when you get grabbed wiggling the joystick(s?) will break you out of the grasp, and then you can jump back and keep fighting. There's other tips and stuff that you might discover by creativity/ trial and error, but that one would not have occurred to me in a million years.

:catstare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Plank Walker posted:

Other than getting to high ground, I still don't know how I'm supposed to deal with them. If I'm stuck on the same level as them I just leave the area and come back and try to find a way to get to a ledge before they notice me

Run away and throw bombs behind you.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Plank Walker posted:

Shooting them with bomb arrows from a lynel or duplex bow is the easiest way. If you’re short on bombs you can freeze them with ice based stuff too

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh man, your very first encounter with Gloom hands is Nintendo at its finest. The sky turns red and the weird creepy sound effects kick in and you have no clue what’s going on and then HOLY gently caress SOMETHING GRABBED ME

It was fun to have my first encounter with those while checking out some ruins that were perfectly peaceful in BotW.

"Oh hey, this pool of sludge over there is moving, I wonder wh- OH poo poo IT'S COMING".

Then I escaped by jumping into a pool. I can only imagine Ganondorf watching and laughing his rear end off.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I actually sorta recognized the puddle and what they would be since the design is partially based off the design of the floor masters from Wind Waker. The thought process in all of 3 seconds is "is that gloom moving?" "oh neat, I bet that's like a floor mas-" "É̸͇̠E̵̙̚E̷̙̰̾̿Ȩ̷͜͠E̶̺̤̔͘Ý̷͖̗A̴͈̯̎̀Ḁ̷̕A̵̟̻̾Ả̴̟͎̆Ȁ̶̠͓Ḣ̴̩̭" "nope gently caress that gently caress that"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like that gloom spawn appear in places you'd go for fun benefits in BotW, like the Hearty Durian plateau, or where the old Giant Horse used to spawn

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Some of the placements of Gloom Hands are diabolical, like the one in the cave that I think is meant to be people's first encounter, at least two on or near the Great Plateau, one on the little isolated island next to the Lost Woods, and one in the quarry leading to the Spring of Power. How they picked locations did a great job keeping the player on their toes, but it did have the effect of steering me clear of wooded areas as well as the usual open spaces mid-boss monsters like to occupy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I like that gloom spawn appear in places you'd go for fun benefits in BotW, like the Hearty Durian plateau, or where the old Giant Horse used to spawn

There's one in the prison where the Hylian shield used to be, one just outside the prison where a bombable wall is to get into that room, and then one more on the docks where the Hylian Shield is now.

Ganondorf put more effort into preventing Link from getting that shield than he ever did to prevent Link from getting the Master Sword

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My first encounter was on the way to the rito village. I saw a blupee, remembered that they indicate there's a cave, so I follow it. I get into the cave, there's a drop down, instant gloom hands.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

speaking of, Gloom weapons etc can't have benefits like +attack or durability up can they?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think my other favorite gloom hands is at the horse track outside Hateno. It was a memorable enough place from the first game, but by that point I was wise to the pattern of "if I remember the minor place from BOTW then it probably has hands" and I was ready to carpet bomb that mfer

Alxprit posted:

speaking of, Gloom weapons etc can't have benefits like +attack or durability up can they?

I don't think so, but their damage already outpaces most things so only durability really matters, but they're common enough to find if you put stickers down. They're usually not far off from a warp point

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/nintendo-patents-tears-of-the-kingdom-loading-screen-abilities-map-and-more/

The days of skateboarding without paying a license fee to Nintendo are over.

quote:

Nintendo was also able to patent the process of Link standing on a moving object, and then continuing in the direction of that moving object.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well gently caress, what am I gonna do with all these off brand frozen steaks now?!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Didn't bother patenting their menus cuz they know nobody's coming for that poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If Nintendo has patented the amazing new technology of "stand on thing, grab thing, thing doesn't move" does that mean that we can now fly IRL by standing on things? Or do I just have to pay a license fee every time I stand on something and it doesn't move?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nintendo needs to patent the various Korok barbecue machines.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/VxJSQm33I3U

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Wow, cutting edge inventions here:

article posted:

Also included in the filing is a patent relating to the inability of the player to grab an object that they are already standing on. For example, if Link is standing on a block, the player can’t then use Ultrahand to move the block, and thus Link, infinitely.

Half-Life 2 better watch out!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I encountered my first gloom hands almost immediately when I went to a tower as soon as I was on land which set up some expectations for the gloom. And then I didn't encounter them again for fifty hours.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chieves posted:

My biggest recycling gripe is the same sky island piece that consists of 4 arms in each cardinal direction, with a gacha in one corner and a launchpad in the middle. I've seen that exact layout too many times!

They always have a shrine on them :)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m 50 hours in and don’t have the master sword, did 3 temples, haven’t even seen a bunch of the towns yet like tarry town and the pirate invaded one. Games big

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm still a little salty they passed up on involving Lurelin in the main quest again, like sure there's more to do there this time but it was (almost certainly imo) supposed to be a big part of BotW, give it its due! :mad:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The third game will be entirely a new version of Ganon trying to become mayor of Lurelin using underhanded tactics.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man, saving Lurelin was one of the first things I did. It was kinda fun to sneak around and murk the enemies one by one despite still having the base 4 hearts. Climbing up places and dropping things on them, baiting the boss bokoblin into throwing his buddies into the ocean. Also was a good trial by fire on flurry rushing.

e: but I get the impression there's more to the questline there besides just wiping the pirates and building the houses again. (Don't spoil me on it though; I'll find the rest eventually)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Epic High Five posted:

Trying to do that shrine as intended is, itself, the trap.

Agreed

BotW was about solving shrines the way they were meant to be solved, with the occasional shortcut thrown in by the shrine designer with an obvious :wink:

TotK is about breaking the game. The tutorial teaches you about how to break the game and gives you various tools to keep you get started breaking it. The solution to shrines can include solving the BotW-style puzzle, but it really wants you to disrespect the puzzle design and instead break the game however you see fit. The game even makes this clear at points by physically breaking parts of the puzzle: oops this rail got old and rusted through tee hee, ah shucks the ceiling collapsed over here.

It is stunning how much of this game is completely trivialized by saving some bridges of various lengths in your autobuild, and by "bridges" I mean logs glued end to end with or without holdfast stakes at the ends.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 9, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just finished the goddess statue quest and got a neat item out of it. It was an unexpected and neat touch. :)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Was looking at some Zelda tiktoks today and got reminded of some minibosses from Twilight Princess that, along the lines of Stalfos and Iron Knuckles, I think should make a comeback in future games (if only for the possibility of monster parts fusion): the Death Sword from Arbiter's Grounds

I wanna swing around a big rear end death claymore

And, of course, the TP Poes. The regular poes were just little doll/child things with huge scythe, but I like the wizrobe-esque look to the ones from the Arbiter's Grounds

Since there's so much of this game to do with lost souls/Shadow Temple-adjacent stuff, with very little in-game explanation, I'd love to see more of this stuff in future DLC.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’d forgotten how loving metal some of TP’s minibosses were, I wouldn’t mind bringing some of that aesthetic back

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’d forgotten how loving metal some of TP’s minibosses were, I wouldn’t mind bringing some of that aesthetic back

It owns so much. Like I get why it gets a lot of hate but the character/enemy design is definitely S tier.

They turned Ocarina of Time Link into this badass:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 9, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I think TP as a whole gets ribbed a bunch for being grimdark/edgy, but I remember the game being pretty goofy, just like any Zelda game. They were just better able to better detail the same kind of aesthetic they were going for in OOT/MM. I think you could slide the Poe, the Death Sword, or the Ancient Hero right alongside the Gibdos in TOTK with a little color palette makeover, and they'd fit right in.

I'd also love to see Darknut representation so we can get Darkhammer in the game from the Snowpeak Ruins

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What's a good Classic Link armor set to get if I'm going for a more serious Adult Link type look? Like, I tried the Twilight set, but you have to fight a superboss to get the hat and gently caress that. I tried the OoT set, but it upgrades with amber and I've already ground so much of that poo poo for other armors and I'm sick of it. I looked into the Sky set, but it apparently doesn't give any set bonus whatsoever. What set looks kind of like those but doesn't have those problems?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I liked all the dark stuff in Twilight Princess. For me the true horror was the npc design, what a bunch of freaks. Except Malo, that guy rules

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7265226200610704686

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7265421982664019233

e: took a sec to figure out how to embed

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 10, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cop discovered that having a tool belt with a gun, flashlight and handcuffs was comparable to frozen meat in reducing friction

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Alxprit posted:

I think they can but they can only gain them from being fed to a rock octorok?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I tried and they spat them out immediately, no upgrade

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I tried it on a Gloom Spear just now and got Attack Up +5

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Steve Yun posted:

I tried and they spat them out immediately, no upgrade

Maybe it wasn't damaged?it needs to be for that to work maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe!