Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inzombiac posted:

Yes, I am a middle-aged child

I heard people saying this game was good but I never heard about how nice it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

or at least don't have one that makes cultist simulator look like nonfiction in retrospect

fallen London/sunless sea’s lore was always more fun than actually playing the games, but yeah, not super surprising there.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

NoiseAnnoys posted:

fallen London/sunless sea’s lore was always more fun than actually playing the games, but yeah, not super surprising there.

alexis thankfully didn't contribute much to either (and was no longer a contributor by the time cultist simulator happened), so i wouldn't write them off. he didn't even touch sunless skies

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sunless skies is pretty dang good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Morpheus posted:

I heard people saying this game was good but I never heard about how nice it is.

The Final Boss 2nd Phase is lying about the nice sadly...

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Biplane posted:

Sunless skies is pretty dang good.

is it more fun to play than sunless sea or fallen london? because if so, i'm down. the settings are cool, like the weird cosmic horror bits, i just can't get behind the horrible web pay-to-play gank of fallen london, or the spreadsheet management of sunless sa.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

NoiseAnnoys posted:

is it more fun to play than sunless sea or fallen london? because if so, i'm down. the settings are cool, like the weird cosmic horror bits, i just can't get behind the horrible web pay-to-play gank of fallen london, or the spreadsheet management of sunless sa.

There isn't as much spreadsheeting needed, the whole trading thing was simplified a bit, but tbh even that was a bit too much for my adhd-brain so I just ignored it. Probably made it harder for myself but its like you say, its the weird cosmic horror stuff Im there for, not to showcase my excel skills. And sunless skies does deliver on that front. Plus it looks really fuckin good.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I liked Skies far more than Seas, more fun combat and a little less incomprehensible nonsense. The nonsense is still there it's just more story based now!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

It's a tough training schedule

https://i.imgur.com/tCYPf5S.mp4

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

it's a hard job, working inside the chef boyardee can what rolls to people's houses, but it's honest work

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is that video of people cleaning up a fatberg? :magical:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bawk posted:

it's a hard job, working inside the chef boyardee can what rolls to people's houses, but it's honest work

lol I posted this clip ages back with the comment these guys just need a really big grilled cheese each

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was gifted a physical copy of Hollow Knight, and I was delighted when I opened it to find an actual instruction manual and a map. It's such a treat to find something more than a single sheet of paper with a link to the website.

Just another reason to love the game even more.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
That makes the game look like it's about a bunch of little bugs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...isn't it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was gifted a physical copy of Hollow Knight, and I was delighted when I opened it to find an actual instruction manual and a map. It's such a treat to find something more than a single sheet of paper with a link to the website.

Just another reason to love the game even more.

My favorite part about this map is that it includes all the areas of the game except the Howling Cliffs, since it is completely inaccessible and wouldn't be found, and the Abyss, since it's a dark secret area away from the normal kingdom

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Was playing a bit of Remnant: From the Ashes, and found a location where there's a teleporter. If you don't input a specific algorithm into it, you can use the teleporter, and it'll teleport you to a bunch of random places inside the level, never more than a 10 second run back. I did this a few time to get some treasures, and at one point, I teleport into a room and immediately see a burning skeleton fall from the ceiling onto the floor. I'm thinking it's a spawning/physics thing, whatever. Run around, get some armor, go up some stairs, and find that the room above where I ended up is the teleporter itself...which means that the flaming skeleton I saw fall to the ground was my own, and this isn't so much a teleporter as a duplication machine/incinerator. drat.

credburn posted:

The entirety of the game could be taking place in a corner of someone's yard.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Aug 9, 2023

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Wrestling Empire, MDickie's newest game, has a career mode where you can move around a small area visiting the bar, hospital, gym, etc. between matches. It also has a subway and as I found out watching a recent video, you can throw other wrestlers onto the subway tracks, which has a very good chance of killing them if they get hit by a train. You generally don't get blamed for this, either, it just shows up in the weekly news feed as "X was found deceased in the subway this week, police are investigating". I'm tempted to get the game myself just to see if I can depopulate the entire roster through judicious use of the subway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Marcade posted:

Wrestling Empire, MDickie's newest game, has a career mode where you can move around a small area visiting the bar, hospital, gym, etc. between matches. It also has a subway and as I found out watching a recent video, you can throw other wrestlers onto the subway tracks, which has a very good chance of killing them if they get hit by a train. You generally don't get blamed for this, either, it just shows up in the weekly news feed as "X was found deceased in the subway this week, police are investigating". I'm tempted to get the game myself just to see if I can depopulate the entire roster through judicious use of the subway.

All you're doing is powering up the driveway blood god at that point, it'll just be that much tougher to take down in the end.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

So THAT's how Vince McMahon is still alive!?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Also you can talk to the dead characters (sound):

https://i.imgur.com/l6PjBZt.mp4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Marcade posted:

I really should reinstall that game. Haven't played since it for some reason became an open world game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
30XX, the roguelite Mega Man X game, left Early Access today, so I've been playing it. It brings back one of my favorite things from the original game: if you manage to find an area where it looks like you should be able to escape the level confines, they put up an invisible wall...and when you touch it, little messages pop up saying things like "please stop trying to escape the universe".

Also it's just generally a lot of fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Morpheus posted:

The entirety of the game could be taking place in a corner of someone's yard.

I'm still disappointed it doesn't take place inside an actual suit of armour.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

credburn posted:

It took me until you said this and seeing the map thumbnailed to realise the map looks like an ant farm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Warhammer: Total War 3, almost every character unit in the game gets a skill that gives them some missile resistance (i.e. damage reduction against ranged attacks). For the Chaos Dwarfs, a race known for wearing giant hats almost as tall as the Dwarfs themselves, the description of this skill - Headdress of Zharr - states that this hat is so magnificent and large that enemy snipers aiming for the character's head keep hitting the hat instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I like the idea that the 'Ancient Basin' is only, like, 12 years old or something.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I'm sure licensing hell will prevent Rockstar from putting it on Steam. What I am saying though is that they should just take the gameplay wholesale and make a The Warriors that is just legally different enough to avoid copyright

The original Anabasis but the Ten Thousand still have to fight the Baseball Furies

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This isn't in any one particular game, but any game that features climbing up buildings and such: unlocking a shortcut (such as dropping a ladder, extending a bridge, etc.) that you can use on your next time through or if you fall. :kiddo:

I have Ezio's "Bene! Now I have a way back up in case I fall!" burned into my brain, particular the way he says "Bene". :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I love how Xenoblade Chronicles 3 builds so much of its storytelling around things that you know but the characters don't, rather than trying to keep you as the player guessing. There's a lot of instances of mysteries in this game that I feel like a lot of other stories would pretend are mysteries to both you and the characters in the story, but XC3 just has the courage to go 'you understand this poo poo and they don't, let's follow their emotional journeys rather than pretend this is some puzzle box'.

Probably the best example there is the party realizing they're clones, which you probably figured out from one of the very first cutscenes... so the game doesn't string you along about it. The moment one of them finds evidence, they make it clear to you, and then it's all about her dealing with this poo poo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
We Love Katamari + Reroll is the recently released HD remake of the PS2 original. HD feels like it's doing some heavy lifting there as I'm not sure how much you can upscale what amounts to Lego people making simple animations. But I digress.

Just like the original Katamari game, the soundtrack is a delight, but perhaps the best song across the entire collection is Sunbaked Savanna.

First off it's a medley of some of the best songs from the first game, which already is one of the best game soundtracks. But the gimmick is that most of the notes are played with synthesized animal noises. So dog barks, cat meows, bleating sheep, elephant trumpets, monkey noises - you get the idea. But it also introduces the song in a level where the goal is to roll up a bunch of animal friends in a zoo for a dog who is lonely. It just combines the regular, bizarre roll a big sticky ball to gather things gameplay, with the story bit of helping a lonely little dog make friends, with the silliest possible song. It's goofy, and charming, and simple, and weird and it just kind of works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUU5TGlI9n8

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perestroika posted:

I actually lol'd when I descended into the Underdark and it turns out that you can get a unique Inspiration from Karlach because she's a mushroom enthusiast and enjoys it when you blow them up.

Speaking of Karlach, she counts as a PYF Little Thing all on her own. Only had her in my party for a few hours but she's already in the running for top 10 party members of all time. :allears:

Yeah I was thinking of starting a new character just to have her in the party as I was already playing a barbarian, and it turns out that having two barbarians barbarianing it up is actually a lot of fun!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah I was thinking of starting a new character just to have her in the party as I was already playing a barbarian, and it turns out that having two barbarians barbarianing it up is actually a lot of fun!

A Wolf Heart Barb gives advantage to everyone in melee range, which always makes them a great pick even if you have other melee attackers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The bear heart ability to resist all damage but psychic has already saved me from some bullshit while fighting elementals that created force explosions on death, but yeah, when I do bring another melee character (eventually I want to try a pole-arm master since that's an infamous gimmick build in the tabletop that I've never tried), I want her in wolf-heart.

I also like that the different "heart" barbarians get extra piercing options to match the animals they're channeling.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Beginning to think I should look into group builds. I made Karlach into a vengeance paladin and am running a group of her, Shadowheart, Astarion, and my main as a warlock and combat is just an awful grind. Maybe it gets better after Act 1?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I'd be using Gale more often but his, uh, condition has proven expensive so I try not to acknowledge him. I gave him a magic item right after a full rest and he didn't make it out of camp before he needed another. Not sure what the timer is on his whole thing but maybe it needs to be tweaked. I like his character and I like his hook but actually playing with him around is a different matter.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

That, and I am stuck in the mindset of you must have a rogue for traps and locks. I know 5e is different but I last played tabletop in 2e AD&D so I'm stuck in my ways.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I'd be using Gale more often but his, uh, condition has proven expensive so I try not to acknowledge him. I gave him a magic item right after a full rest and he didn't make it out of camp before he needed another. Not sure what the timer is on his whole thing but maybe it needs to be tweaked. I like his character and I like his hook but actually playing with him around is a different matter.

Small spoiler but don't worry about it you only need to do it three times

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Found Fantavision on ps2, a party/match 3 game where you detonate fireworks. It's quite fun although difficult, even on easy. Chaining is satisfying once you get it right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I believe that was a console debut title as well