Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGOcTe6dKU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hoo ahhh

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was just thinking what a shame it is that On Cinema isn’t able to take advantage of the current conservative culture war. Between Tim’s take on Sound of Freedom and being convinced Jason Aldean stole from Dekkar, this seems like a moment custom made for OC.

Gregg and La Rue could even collaborate to investigate AMC’s sabotage of Sound of Freedom!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The latest episode of What We Do in the Shadows has both Mark Proksch reciting some movie facts and Gregg.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Seeing the Two Tims tour tonight. Sadly, there won't be much movie talk, but I'm still expecting a five bags of popcorn caliber experience.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

Seeing the Two Tims tour tonight. Sadly, there won't be much movie talk, but I'm still expecting a five bags of popcorn caliber experience.

Ask him why he paid, what I'm hearing was $10,000, to appear in Fantastic Four (2015, 100 minutes), and why he had Josh Trank lie on his behalf.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I literally don't think he can answer that without it being a WGA strike violation

Edit: but enjoy the show! It's a hell of a performance, the man is a powerhouse

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No kidding! You haven't lived until you're in a full venue doing the "everyone get down and whisper and slowly get up and sing louder" thing from "Shout," except the song is "Hot Piss."

I also picked up the On Cinema Reader book (https://www.dragcity.com/products/brandan-kearney-s-on-cinema-at-the-cinema-reader-vol-1-2010-2018), which, just flipping through it, is going to be a gem. Even the INDEX was funny.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I also picked up the On Cinema Reader book (https://www.dragcity.com/products/brandan-kearney-s-on-cinema-at-the-cinema-reader-vol-1-2010-2018), which, just flipping through it, is going to be a gem. Even the INDEX was funny.

I had no clue this existed. Just bought it.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Crescent Wrench posted:

No kidding! You haven't lived until you're in a full venue doing the "everyone get down and whisper and slowly get up and sing louder" thing from "Shout," except the song is "Hot Piss."

Someone started a “Hot Piss” chant following “Slurp It Up” at the show I was at, good times

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched the "Portlandia Was Anti-WOKE" YouTube clip from the latest Office Hours making fun of Bill Maher, and there was an ad for the Epoch Times in front of it. I'm sure some algorithm just put that in front of something with woke in the title but it was a pretty jarring thing to see in front of a Tim clip, haha.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

derp posted:

just wild trying to imagine people watching this show without knowledge of on cinema. dr san showing up to bring decker back to live with the vape pen, holllly lol

lol this was me, I watched the original series, Port of Call Hawaii, Decker vs. Dracula, and Mindwipe without seeing a single episode of OC. I knew it was tied into this podcast they were doing (obviously had no idea what On Cinema had become by that point) but yeah a couple eps into Decker vs. Dracula I was like "ok I am missing a LOT here". I mean come to think of it Kington's obsession with VHS tapes in Port of Call did seem a little out of left field

so yeah actually watching the series was great especially seeing the bit where Gregg's original lines as Kington come from

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
and yes Tim's Bill Maher impression was incredible, amazing how he does so many slight varieties of the same character and yet you can clearly tell who he's supposed to be each time

big kudos to Fred Armisen for playing it straight, especially the subtle ways he gets more and more uncomfortable and antsy to leave by the end

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

https://youtu.be/7rUv9QcUKhY?si=rZIp66pHlrlPOhub

More of the character with Jay Weingarten

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Watched any On Cinema lately?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

God drat that Bill Maher satire was spot on and cathartic to watch. I used to hate watch that Club Random show and it can’t be emphasized enough bough how much of a boomer Maher is. He whines about cancel culture every. single. episode.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

huh posted:

Watched any On Cinema lately?

Yes! I've just finished my watch through and I'm finally up to date. What a journey!

There should be a season still to come this year, right?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Pararoid posted:

Yes! I've just finished my watch through and I'm finally up to date. What a journey!

I just again started from the first episode. I listen to it when driving my car. I loove this movie!

huh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 29, 2023

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Pararoid posted:

Not if the strikes don't get resolved soon

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

sponges posted:

God drat that Bill Maher satire was spot on and cathartic to watch. I used to hate watch that Club Random show and it can’t be emphasized enough bough how much of a boomer Maher is. He whines about cancel culture every. single. episode.

His interview with Quentin Tarantino is kind of amazing, it is the most unprofessional thing I have ever seen. It may be difficult to imagine tarintino being put off by a person's lack of taste and humility, but maher manages.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I will also say though Quentin t. Is very humble in most interviews I have seen. For the record.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

huh posted:

I just again started from the first episode. I listen to it when driving my car. I loove this movie!

I remember hearing goons talk about The Trial, but it was better than I could have imagined. I've seen it described as the perfect parody of the Trump era; the way he's so obviously in the wrong, but manages to grind down a system of good people over hours and hours of nonsense and distraction. It's actually brilliant.

ALFbrot posted:

Not if the strikes don't get resolved soon

Fuuuuck.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I just found out Neil Hamburger has a show here in a couple weeks, thankfully there was still a ticket.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The latest episode of What We Do in the Shadows has both Mark Proksch reciting some movie facts and Gregg.

i just got to that ep without knowing about it and i did the leo dicaprio pointing at the screen meme

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Consummate Professional posted:

I just found out Neil Hamburger has a show here in a couple weeks, thankfully there was still a ticket.

I want to go see him in Chicago but I don't have anyone to go with. He's an acquired taste.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
If you're in the mood for some OCATC can I please recommend season 5 episode 5. It is a real gem.

Some highlights:

* Tim is blind (from the motorcycle "crash")
* He is being fed lines about the movies through an ear piece
* We find out that he doesn't really like James Brown because BB King "is about as black as I get"
* The passive aggression from Gregg is off the charts "great cinematography...a lot of visual elements really were special..."
* Gregg's intro to the On Location segment is cut slightly short

Please enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_MbreQjXJ4

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

ChesterJT posted:

I want to go see him in Chicago but I don't have anyone to go with. He's an acquired taste.

The opener Major Entertainer is so awful that even a non-fan should love Neil Hamburger by comparison

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

duomo posted:

The opener Major Entertainer is so awful that even a non-fan should love Neil Hamburger by comparison

Major entertainer is wonderful. He has a signed copy of basket case.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Crescent Wrench posted:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

lol, god I miss this show

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's so good just from flipping through it. I'm meaning to do a rewatch so I can read along with the book.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I absolutely support the strike but it's been so long since I knew what movie to watch this weekend, AAAHHHHH

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nichael posted:

I absolutely support the strike but it's been so long since I knew what movie to watch this weekend, AAAHHHHH

Look for movies like Tom Cruise is in them, you can't lose.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a little bit confused how the strike intersects with OCATC. Isn't the strike between the studios and writers? Can't OCATC just pay/hire in accordance with the guild's requests?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm a little bit confused how the strike intersects with OCATC. Isn't the strike between the studios and writers? Can't OCATC just pay/hire in accordance with the guild's requests?

I was thinking the same thing just the other day… like, as far as I know A24 and some other small studios are adhering to the demands and so they’re able to work.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/PierrePoilievre/status/1701232580153258307?s=20

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I wonder if it comes from “promoting” the new movies.

Perfect opportunity for the VFA to come back.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's like someone doing an impression of Mark doing an impression of Tim as Decker.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ah na na na na na naaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Salt Fish posted:

Cant they request for exemption if they show they're doing things that the strikers demand?