Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dick Trauma posted:

Was disappointing to find that the main Bleakrock quest is bugged, and having found 9 of the 10 missing NPCs I'm bummed that the only fix is to abandon the quest and start over to make the 10th person reappear. I shouldn't be surprised at bugs in a Bethesda game but still... it's annoying.

oh man that sucks. especially on that quest. I think I've only ran into one quest-breaking bug in the game, but it was busted for a month or so before they patched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ew, the OG game zones

for real, do yourself a favor and go to one of the post-release zones that are now part of the base game

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Potato Salad posted:

ew, the OG game zones

for real, do yourself a favor and go to one of the post-release zones that are now part of the base game

Nah, you should definitely clear the alliance zones. Meeting everyone and then seeing them pop up later is definitely worth it (Gibbons!)... to say nothing of the mass of skill points you'll get.

It's also amusing how much they don't really interact. Playing through DC for example you'd never know the king sent psychotic necromancers and hoards of orcs/redguards to pillage the other alliances.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been using a couple of guides that are similar but I'll check to see how they match up with your link. This is one of them: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

I'm happy to take things in order as I would like the story to develop in a way that makes sense, if that's possible.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been using a couple of guides that are similar but I'll check to see how they match up with your link. This is one of them: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

I'm happy to take things in order as I would like the story to develop in a way that makes sense, if that's possible.

It's probably not possible anymore. Just pretend you are unstuck in time. Besides, the expansions have added a ton of really fun content.

Just start in your faction's starting city and follow the Main Quest Markers. Also do the Quests that lead you to "The Harborage." If you skipped the tutorial (likely in this day and age), you'll be asked to meet a mysterious benefactor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you. Things feel sort of under control and I'm looking forward to learning more about my class and moving into newer content.

I'm anxious about going into a dungeon. My experiences with dungeons in games like this have been pretty negative, with everyone else literally sprinting from beginning to end and me trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, reading game dialog, looting, drinking potions, dying because no one will heal me, etc. I expect that this will be no different so if I can skip dungeons altogether let me know.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 9, 2023

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm anxious about going into a dungeon. My experiences with dungeons in games like this have been pretty negative, with everyone else literally sprinting from beginning to end and me trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, reading game dialog, looting, drinking potions, dying because no one will heal me, etc. I expect that this will be no different so if I can skip dungeons altogether let me know.
You can skip dungeons, and yes if you use the random queue, that will be your dungeon experience. They are good sources of skill points and gear, though. Guilds can help you find people who will run them more slowly, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you. Things feel sort of under control and I'm looking forward to learning more about my class and moving into newer content.

If you're on PC and want to run a dungeon the right way at some point, hit me up @sadleric in-game.

We're kinda inactive on ESO in the Chill Bros discord but occasionally you can still @ people and run something https://discord.gg/3cWgPtp8 , I'm @potato_salad_sa in there

Deltia's Gaming guild is active, and you will be invited to other guilds through there too if you want. The "you can be in 5 guilds at a time" feature is really nice, because it makes the act of joining a guild more like adding options rather than excluding options.

It's an old game, so guilds come and go. The ones that nucleate around chill ESO streamers tend to be more durable, more helpful, and far more friendly / open / accepting / non-gamer-wordy etc

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 9, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

What's a good way to get the necessary AP in Cyrodill to get the first tier rewards? I want to get some transmutation crystals from that.

Also, there's absolutely nothing you can do to interact between chars on different platforms, right? I have my old PC character and will probably go check it out to see what it has but then can't transfer anything at all to my PS5 characters, correct?

Dick Trauma posted:

I did my faction's quest and the main quest first, then Cadwell's Silver and Cadwell's Gold for the other two alliances. I reconciled the paradoxes in my head as these being "prequels" in different timelines that merged when I defeated Molag Bal.

Then I did Craglorn which is fun but also way harder than the normal content, and in my opinion can be left for later.

I left the Imperial City for later too because I was quickly hit by yankers and didn't want to bother with a PvP build yet

At that point at CP160+ I was able to easily solo most of the base game dungeons in each zone (the II dungeons are harder and some have boss mechanics that require a group so not those). Direfrost Keep you have to exploit it with nightblade or werewolf teleport hits to go thriough a gate that needs two people on pressure plates, can't have companions do it. I think the only one that I didn't solo was Blackheart Haven because of the last boss.

Then I went back and did the base game World bosses and was able to solo most of them (gently caress that bullshit guar though lol)

Now I'm doing Orsinium and following that same forum post you linked.

As for other dungeons I just grab undaunted pledges and queue for those specific dungeons and run them with randos, you won't get a chance to read the dialogue and do the quest at your leisure but you can do the quest while running around for the XP and skill point. I have hosed up but people on PSNA are chill and have never been toxic on dungeons. Not even on battlegrounds where I am really bad at it lol.

I haven't even explored arenas or trials yet, there's so much to do in this game!

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 9, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Especially if you're just starting out, it's pretty easy to queue up random PvP game modes in the dungeon finder and go mash buttons until you die in glourious fire. It's generally gonna match you up with other clueless people. It's hectic and fun. Stick with a wingman from your team and you'll do fine.

It also doesn't really take all that much work to read a PvP guide just to get a sense for the control, survivability, and damage that you would ideally hypothetically want to bring, then try to bring that with the skills that you have available leveled up and ready to go. You don't have to be perfect to dip your toes in.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 9, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

What's a good way to get the necessary AP in Cyrodill to get the first tier rewards? I want to get some transmutation crystals from that.

Look at what keep your alliance is currently attacking, then follow them/show up at that keep and make sure you stand on the flags inside when it flips to your control. Afterward, ride out and flip the keep's related resource nodes if they haven't been flipped yet. And make sure to grab the daily conquest quest (which can be either capture 3 keeps or 9 resources, or kill 40 players) which will eventually complete itself.

Do that about twice and you should be nearly at Rank 2.

If you're in a campaign where your alliance is losing horribly and can't capture anything, an alternative would be to do the various repeatable town quests (Bruma, Cheydinall, etc.). Though that would take forever.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 9, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
here comes stibbo

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Is catching a rare fish purely RNG?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Dick Trauma posted:

You just have to believe in yourself.

(yes)

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Yes, though there's stuff to increase your odds. A food you can buy (pickled fish bowl) from guild traders, and if you max Sharp-As-Night, he gives you a perk that permanently increases your odds of getting rare fish.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Nice, double XP bonus for a few days.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

g0del posted:

Yes, though there's stuff to increase your odds. A food you can buy (pickled fish bowl) from guild traders, and if you max Sharp-As-Night, he gives you a perk that permanently increases your odds of getting rare fish.

Also apparently, the more people fishing at the same hole the better their chances of a good catch are.

So fishing groups are sometimes a thing.

There's also a couple of bonus traits in the CP tree on the left. The green one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the early levels I'm enjoying a bow Warden. From max distance I hit enemies with the burrowing bugs, then the cliff racer, then I knock them down with a heavy attack and maybe zap with a soul trap. I now have an ultimate that spawns a bear to smash anything still standing. When I can pick up a strong bow AoE I'm hoping to melt groups of enemies with this rotation.

I'm finally getting a handle on crafting and writs, although I'm not at the point where I'm crafting anything to use myself beyond potions/food/drink.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Until you get to Level 50 CP 160 don't worry about crafting for yourself imo, just keep using what you find. Once you reach CP160 which is the gear level cap then you can start looking into set bonuses and all that.

Daily writs are good though, decent gold and goodies for very little effort. Make sure to go to Summerset and get certified for jewelry crafting too if you haven't already, I didn't do that until way late and had to catch up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Look who I found!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dick Trauma posted:

Look who I found!

Congrats!

Now do it again in every single zone...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

As a Warden I wasn't using my bear because I thought that as an ultimate it was a temporary skill, not a permanent summon. Since I just morphed the skill I decided to use it in a tough battle, and the bear stayed. Wonder how much DPS I've been missing out on!

There are so many of those prologue quests I had to bookmark a link with a list of them so I could avoid picking them up. Feel like I'm going to miss a legit quest trying to sort through them all.

EDIT: Although my character should probably be wearing all medium armor I'm wearing one piece of light and one of heavy to keep the skills leveling. Is that important compared to making sure that the class/guild/racial skills keep leveling?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 13, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Just found out the Gryphon Run boss in Summerset is broken in the most spectacular fashion.

Apparently, it used to be bugged so that it it never respawned when killed. Now, however, it has the annoying tendency to respawn DURING the fight... making it impossible to kill unless you have truely massive DPS.

Bug fixing at its finest.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Just tried arena for the first time and really liked it. Made it to round 7 of normal DSA and died, didn't try again because I'm tired. Is this doable solo? I want the Caustic Arrow bow that can drop from the boss of this arena.

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Although my character should probably be wearing all medium armor I'm wearing one piece of light and one of heavy to keep the skills leveling. Is that important compared to making sure that the class/guild/racial skills keep leveling?

It's should be fine. I don't remember which skill line but I think there's a passive somewhere that actually gives you a buff if you fo this.

And yeah don't get the prologue quests until you need them, too much noise in the quest tracker, and you can only get 25 active quests max at a time. Just follow the guide you posted earlier and you should be fine.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 14, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

Just tried arena for the first time and really liked it. Made it to round 7 of normal DSA and died, didn't try again because I'm tired. Is this doable solo? I want the Caustic Arrow bow that can drop from the boss of this arena.

On normal? Yeah, absolutely.

I've had trouble clearing Blackrose Prison solo though due to all the archers with their near 1-shot power attacks. Going to try again once I've maxed out Wrathful Strikes.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Offkorn posted:

Just found out the Gryphon Run boss in Summerset is broken in the most spectacular fashion.

Apparently, it used to be bugged so that it it never respawned when killed. Now, however, it has the annoying tendency to respawn DURING the fight... making it impossible to kill unless you have truely massive DPS.

Bug fixing at its finest.

That boss is a bitch at the best of times. That'd be incredibly frustrating.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Are gold master writs ever worth it? They seem way too expensive to make to be worth it.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Simone Poodoin posted:

Are gold master writs ever worth it? They seem way too expensive to make to be worth it.

Woodworking/blacksmithing generally are, I think clothing ones used to be but the price of dreugh wax has skyrocketed. Jewelry ones can give you 600+ writ vouchers at once at 4k a voucher so some people do them.

If you get the writworthy addon it will add an estimated gold/voucher to the tooltip using ttc/master merchant data if you have those add-ons installed, I generally do anything 1500/writ or lower.

You can also use the /writworthy command to queue up all the master writs in your inventory for it to craft so you can turn them all in at once.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm on PS so no addons, and I've never seen a 600 voucher writ, most I see are 40/60 and those I think are not worth it with how expensive jewelry upgrade materials are. I'd do it for 600 though.

I just went through a dungeon with a "fake tank" for the first time and I get why they can be annoying, it didn't matter because it was an easy normal random but I can see how someone like that could ruin a run on a hard dungeon.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Simone Poodoin posted:

I'm on PS so no addons, and I've never seen a 600 voucher writ, most I see are 40/60 and those I think are not worth it with how expensive jewelry upgrade materials are. I'd do it for 600 though.

I just went through a dungeon with a "fake tank" for the first time and I get why they can be annoying, it didn't matter because it was an easy normal random but I can see how someone like that could ruin a run on a hard dungeon.

Never ran into fake tanks in hards, but even normal DLC dungeons (could) be brutal with that crap. Used to run through most of that crap with my stamsorc no problem tho, I'd queue tank/healer and just mow everything down.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It was Lair of Maarselok and the "tank" wasn't taunting at all so the boss was attacking all over the place, the other DPS was really good though and was like 3k CP so they were melting everything down and it wasn't a huge deal this time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Simone Poodoin posted:

It was Lair of Maarselok and the "tank" wasn't taunting at all so the boss was attacking all over the place, the other DPS was really good though and was like 3k CP so they were melting everything down and it wasn't a huge deal this time.

The times I've tanked with my Star Warden I try to taunt, but DPS usually pulls the boss off me. Then again I only do that in normal dungeons like others have said, so meh.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Taunting in this game is extremely straightforward: the spell forces the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds. That's it. Aggro isn't a part of it once you've got a lock with a taunt ability.

An enemy taunted by two or more people more than 3 times in 15 seconds (?) becomes immune for a little while just to prevent us from abusing the system by playing monkey in the middle.

If you are taunting an enemy and notice that it's attacking other people,
1) it's using abilities that are designated as mechanics intended to hit other party members. Many--even most bosses really--have an ability or two that is occasionally targeted at someone who isn't the tank, as part of that specific fight's mechanics.
2) someone or their pet has a taunt in their rotation and needs to fix that
3) you're fighting one of very, very few truly taunt-immune creatures in the game

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Here's a dumb question. Are all the Taunt skills specifically labeled as such? Like there wouldn't be a Taunt skill I'd accidentally use as a stamblade DD, right?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I think so and there's not too many of them I don't think. There are some taunt abilities in some sets and I read somewhere that whoever attacks first taunts the enemy for 15s.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1glitch0 posted:

Here's a dumb question. Are all the Taunt skills specifically labeled as such? Like there wouldn't be a Taunt skill I'd accidentally use as a stamblade DD, right?

Yes, that all tell you they taunt in the text.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Simone Poodoin posted:

I think so and there's not too many of them I don't think. There are some taunt abilities in some sets and I read somewhere that whoever attacks first taunts the enemy for 15s.

That's soft taunt. Basically, cuz this game doesn't have aggro, they will have enemies attack somebody on the following list of priority:

1) whoever they are scripted to attack based on the mechanics of the fight at that time

2) the person who taunted

3) whoever did damage to them first in the prior 15 second window

4) basically at random, whoever had a heal tick or some damage tick in the group and they latch on to that as the instigating thing

so your tanks will basically run around in a place real quick, smack a bunch of people with AOE to get (3) started for group safety, then spend their cooldowns getting everybody who they need hard taunted locked down per (2)

importantly for anybody who plays DPS or healing, the only way for you to be a victim of a pull instadeath volley is if you start attacking and invite condition (4) upon yourself. wait for everything to be smacking on the tank, then go wild. not that different from any other MMO

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 18, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks, this is great info. I don't have experience on other MMOs so this is very useful to me. I'm now realizing that I might be annoying the tanks when I do randoms because the build I use is a crit/damage shield build that is very hard to kill so I'm usually a reckless DPS.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I assure you, tanks in random normal dungeons don't give a poo poo what you're doing so long as you're trying even a little to be helpful. The tanking mantra in ESO is that DPS usually only have themselves to blame for their deaths.

Like, in all seriousness, this is a game with (except for one silly and rarely used case) mass taunting. Tanks are expected to pin down the most dangerous couple of enemies, but each DPS is expected to have shields and/or cc to survive the rest of the trash.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Potato Salad posted:

Taunting in this game is extremely straightforward: the spell forces the enemy to attack you for 15 seconds. That's it. Aggro isn't a part of it once you've got a lock with a taunt ability.

An enemy taunted by two or more people more than 3 times in 15 seconds (?) becomes immune for a little while just to prevent us from abusing the system by playing monkey in the middle.

If you are taunting an enemy and notice that it's attacking other people,
1) it's using abilities that are designated as mechanics intended to hit other party members. Many--even most bosses really--have an ability or two that is occasionally targeted at someone who isn't the tank, as part of that specific fight's mechanics.
2) someone or their pet has a taunt in their rotation and needs to fix that
3) you're fighting one of very, very few truly taunt-immune creatures in the game

Huh okay thanks. Very useful info! It’s been awhile but I must have been doing something wrong. I made a S&B + Frost warden just for tanking (well, to be basically invulnerable) so I’ll have to give it another shot with her.