Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OctaMurk posted:

As a relatively thin person I don't actually understand any of the people who seem unhappy that there is an "easy way" to get thin. It was easy for me, my body just tells me how much to eat and also I love to exercise. If other peoples bodies are telling them to eat a lot more so they become fat, and a medicine can fix that, thats pretty cool?

Especially since my life will be improved by other people having access to this medication. People will be happier and have less health problems. Friends who dont wanna do hiking and stuff with me because their weight literally makes it really difficult and unrewarding will be able to go now. Your dating pool will be larger (in terms of quantity of people who are smaller) You wont get stuck between two fatsos on the airplane anymore.

Because he's mad at himself for having got fat at all, feels better by lording his superiority over those other fatties, and really, really doesn't like the idea that he was only able to do it because he it was literally easier for him than other people. It's about personal gratification from "participating" in the conversation, not any actual desire to see people in better shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I really don't think we have to look any further than the obvious answer, which is that for a while there it was really hard to catch these guys. The baby boom skyrocketed the population and spread it out, creating bigger cities and suburbs where you had anonymity. That let them run rampant until DNA hit the scene, and now if you leave so much as a skin cell, the cops have your entire family tree.

There's always going to be "I've killed before and I'll kill again" dudes, the question is, how many kills can they get away with before law enforcement finds 'em.

Eh, it aint exactly csi out there. Like half of murders go unsolved. Im sure a good murderer could get away with a lot.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

OctaMurk posted:

Friends who dont wanna do hiking and stuff with me because their weight literally makes it really difficult and unrewarding will be able to go now.

I really wanted to do more hiking and went with friends a few times but they got frustrated at how "slow" I was and stopped inviting me. Oh hey, there's those tricky "social" issues again, I'm sure it's all just willpower though.

Edit: Alright I think I need to take a break here because I'm legitimately upset. So I'm out. Sorry for prolonging food derail.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Serial killers were just replaced with mass killers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously the serial killer craze ended when Morpheus reclaimed the Corinthian

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The serial killers all got too fat, couldn't chase their victims anymore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1631767251190943744

Somebody's been chatting with his KSA buddies...

I guess he's looking at the increasing rural/urban divide and thinks he can fix that by making conservative cities or w/e. But there aren't any conservative cities, not even in red states.

e: oh no he wants to build them on federal lands. I look forward to vacationing in Groom Lake City, Nevada.

e2: also literal flying cars lmao

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 9, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Washington DT's nice but New Trump City's got a better skyline

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RBA Starblade posted:

Washington DT's nice but New Trump City's got a better skyline

GTA6 has a locale, now we just need to find a developer.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

zoux posted:

Every now and then I spend hours looking up the latest on "The Line" city, Neom, theyre building. The most cracked up megaproject that seems to have gotten somewhat underway, maybe ever? Seems like an absolutely titanic grift train for Western consultants

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I am ironically on board with building new planned cities across America in some of the most rural states.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The Line (styled THE LINE; Arabic: ذا لاين) is a linear smart city under construction in Saudi Arabia in Neom, Tabuk Province, which is designed to have no cars, streets or carbon emissions. The 170-kilometre-long (110 mi) city is part of Saudi Vision 2030 project, which Saudi Arabia claims will create around 460,000 jobs and add an estimated $48 billion to the country's GDP. The Line is planned to be the first development of a $500 billion project in Neom. The city's plans anticipate a population of 9 million though Saudi Arabia has a population of 35.5 million. Excavation work had started along the entire length of the project by October 2022.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Morrow posted:

I am ironically on board with building new planned cities across America in some of the most rural states.

Skip cities and go straight to Arcologies

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

I would say all the talk about how it isn't a personal problem enables a discussion of societal and environmental causes, which is prevented by acting like it can be solved on a personal level.

The personal level can't be neglected either, because while various social and cultural and economic factors may contribute to people making poor decisions, there are still people making poor decisions. It's not an individual problem, in the sense that 90 million individuals all have this problem and therefore it's clearly not just a random shift in a few people's personal behavior. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of individuals making these choices. And no matter what, at the end of the day, getting people to adopt healthier lifestyles requires them to individually choose to put in the extra effort and deferred reward that those healthier lifestyles require. Yes, we should look at social and cultural incentives and pressures and adjust them where we can, but in the end, that all works by guiding people to make different individual choices. 90 million people need to solve this on a personal level, and all we can really do is create conditions that make it easier for them to do so.

Mellow Seas posted:

People shouldn’t have to count calories to not get fat. Almost every person of healthy weight on the planet eats intuitively. Counting calories is work. Literal work, actual labor (which is arguably subsidizing the companies that put out the delicious engineered food we can’t resist.) That saps energy and time and depletes the (absolutely finite) amount of willpower people have to bring to bear. Beyond that, you are demanding organizational skills that may be legitimately beyond some people. It is far too much “individual solution” for me to think of as even a part of a wider solution to the problem.

But yeah, let’s not give up on finding and addressing causes! Absolutely. I just don’t think “people are doing it wrong out of ignorance/laziness” would be much of a reason, and if you addressed the others you’d suddenly find that there wouldn’t be too many people left who were “doing it wrong” anymore. Everything is contextual.

It’s a balance that has to be struck. But I disagree that the “moral failing” question isn’t equally important, because the “moral failing” model is still the dominant one in our society, and it contributes to the misery of millions of people. And being miserable and feeling like poo poo about yourself sure doesn’t make it easier to get healthy.

Yes, counting calories is work. But cooking is work too! Shopping for food is work too! Basically every human being in all of history has had had to do work for their meals, including not just the work needed to obtain the food but the work needed to prepare it, the work needed to ensure that it's within their budget and won't deplete their food or money supplies, and so on. The only exceptions were fabulously wealthy aristocrats who had servants and/or serfs to handle all that work for them. When the heck did we start thinking that eating didn't involve work and self-restraint? That's not a snarky rhetorical question, either - it's a legitimate question whose answer is probably critically important to solving the obesity epidemic.

I don't think the "moral failing" model really needs addressing because it's an obvious dead end. If 90 million people are all making the same bad decision, then it doesn't really matter whether it's due to moral failings or not: we need to do something about it, and since screaming at them clearly doesn't work, we need to find some other way to influence their decision-making in a more positive direction. It's the same as dealing with Republican voters - whether voting for the GOP is a moral failing or a result of circumstances, the fact remains that supporting the GOP is destroying the country and we need to change their voting behavior. And since screaming at them isn't working, we need to find other ways to win them over and influence their decisions.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
At least make it a circle. A line is probably the worst way to design a city.

Line city is a gritty detective noir film from flatland.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
^^^^^ Right??? Why the gently caress would you not do a circle??? It’s just a more convenient line!

Like the King of England I am rabidly pro-preplanned city.

If NIMBY is stopping us from building dense housing and infrastructure then go build it far away from anybody’s backyard. You (probably?) can’t base a whole city around remote workers and workers to provide services, but remote work makes much more plausible the idea of getting one of these cities off the ground, until they evolve more organic local economies.

Of course if it was implemented by Trump, it would be awful, and this is 100% the kind of infrastructure-week type of thing he never, ever follows through on anyway.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 9, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PiquantParvenu/status/1689104775135322112

Ok, what do we think, that the number of killers actually decreased that much or that the number of serial killers was just wildly overestimated in the past?

This doesn't account for population growth, something like "serial killers per million" would be more useful.

Also maybe the proliferation of serial killer podcasts and documentaries in the past 20 years have taught them how to avoid getting caught. :lol:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

At a certain point the standards dropped far enough it probably just became easier to become a cop.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

zoux posted:

I guess he's looking at the increasing rural/urban divide and thinks he can fix that by making conservative cities or w/e. But there aren't any conservative cities, not even in red states.

e: oh no he wants to build them on federal lands. I look forward to vacationing in Groom Lake City, Nevada.

isn't this just what china has been doing for the last 20 years, but without rail lines to connect everything

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

OctaMurk posted:

Every now and then I spend hours looking up the latest on "The Line" city, Neom, theyre building. The most cracked up megaproject that seems to have gotten somewhat underway, maybe ever? Seems like an absolutely titanic grift train for Western consultants
They know it: "As more of them arrived, foreign employees began describing their experiences with a joke: When you start at Neom, you bring two buckets. The first is to hold all the gold you’ll accumulate, and with so many living expenses taken care of, it will soon grow heavy. The second bucket is for all the poo poo you take. When that bucket is full, you pick up your bucket of gold and leave. It often doesn’t take long; many people Neom hires last less than a year."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

deoju posted:

This doesn't account for population growth, something like "serial killers per million" would be more useful.

Also maybe the proliferation of serial killer podcasts and documentaries in the past 20 years have taught them how to avoid getting caught. :lol:

A bit of this, a bit of the internet giving deranged sadists other outlets, spree killing being more en vogue, the end of the leaded gas era, and probably a bunch of other factors of varying importance, some probably wildly unintuitive.

Many murders don't get solved, but that doesn't mean the unsolved cases are randomly distributed--that any random murder has the same chance of leading to an arrest. So technology catching them early isn't necessarily incompatible with an overall lovely clearance rate.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rebel Blob posted:

They know it: "As more of them arrived, foreign employees began describing their experiences with a joke: When you start at Neom, you bring two buckets. The first is to hold all the gold you’ll accumulate, and with so many living expenses taken care of, it will soon grow heavy. The second bucket is for all the poo poo you take. When that bucket is full, you pick up your bucket of gold and leave. It often doesn’t take long; many people Neom hires last less than a year."

Soooo, uhhhh, as a civil engineer how would I go about getting one of these gold-bucket sham jobs?

I’m in road design and I know the whole thing about Neom is that it doesn’t have roads, but um, similar principles apply to hallways.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PiquantParvenu/status/1689104775135322112

Ok, what do we think, that the number of killers actually decreased that much or that the number of serial killers was just wildly overestimated in the past?

would this not be a chart of serial killers who have been caught?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

zoux posted:

I can see him convincing The Villages to rename themselves "Trump City" and declaring that he kept this campaign promise till the end of time.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riptor posted:

would this not be a chart of serial killers who have been caught?
Caught or established by a consistent MO. Ted Cruz was never caught, after all, and I figure he’s included in those statistics.

Of course there could absolutely be serial killers who don’t follow an MO - which I think describes the Long Island guy? So definitely an undercount.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SpeedFreek posted:

For the part of weight loss that involves lifestyle changes it sounds like that drug helps with that. Is it hard to make or is it just the company that makes it that makes it so expensive right now?

It's both. It's a combination of:

- The drug was just approved for weight loss recently and was exclusively for diabetics until about 6 months ago.

- There are two other competitors, but they haven't been approved for weight loss for non-diabetics yet (it is assumed they will be approved in the next 6 months or so because they work very similarly to WeGovy)

- There are patents because they are new drugs, so there won't be generics until at least 2026.

- Since the drug was exclusively for diabetics until recently, they didn't have any reason to make it on a massive scale. They are trying to scale up production, but it will take some time.

- There are shortages of the drug because of the big increase in demand that happened rapidly and low production levels. As a result, they have tried to ration it to diabetics first and charge a lot for non-diabetics to get it for weight loss purposes (about 30% of private insurers cover it right now for non-diabetics and Medicare does not cover it at all for non-diabetics).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
As I understand they're also "drug you go on for life" rather than "drug you go on while you lose the weight" which factors into long-term production needs.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Adenoid Dan posted:

If it were a simple change to actually commit to over years, most people would not be failing at it.

Do you think people want to be stared at in public, routinely humiliated, or if not, live in fear of humiliation anyway, be told all of their health problems can be solved by losing weight when they gained that weight because of that health problem?

Yes, if you count calories accurately and keep below what you burn, you will lose weight. Most people fail at doing that. They are not bad people, or lazy, or stupid. They are just regular people who cannot win this fight against their body.

I am literally hungry all the time because my body thinks it's in a famine after losing 1/3 of it's mass ... even a 1/4 century later.

You know that scene in "What Women Want" when Mel Gibson reads the thoughts of the women runner calculating what she can eat based on her exercise?

That's my life.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Killer robot posted:

As I understand they're also "drug you go on for life" rather than "drug you go on while you lose the weight" which factors into long-term production needs.

Yes. You need to stay on it permanently to keep the benefit. It's a once a week injection.

If you can keep the weight off after you lose it, it doesn't magically reappear once you stop taking it. But, obviously, it is going to make it much more difficult and most people will default to their previous behavior/biological activity and gain it back over time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1689315464017502208

Elon is so desperate for Trump to come back to twitter, it's really funny that he hasn't. There's only one reason you'd violate that order and that's so the big boy can know that you're loyle to your capo.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Zotix posted:

Edit: Again, for people with honest medical conditions I'm glad those are an option. This isn't the case for the average American though. They just want an easy instant or near instant solution to everything with minimal effort.

Isn't that what everyone wants? Are there problems you face that you want to struggle with?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
edit: apparently I was a few pages behind when I started my rambling contribution to the stuff about capitalism and social isolation and the thread has since moved on, sorry! I'm leaving it here anyway.

The multiplication and fragmentation of identity and discourse that unfolds under capitalism (largely but not entirely) due to the commodification of the very meaning frameworks people rely on for social cohesion is, imo, a substantial part of why we have more isolation. There's a lot of ideological mismatches which crop up as people consume and adopt narratives about the nature of social life and construct their own systems out of contradictory components. This ideological mismatch happens between individuals and institutions like religions too, causing friction and contributing to church attrition.

On top of that, capital has commodified physical spaces in a way that has attracted a huge glut of investment capital and created a scenario where there's a high fiscal barrier to creating shared social spaces in many areas, especially around anything that's not directly encouraging 'economic activity'. Good luck starting the modern equivalent of something like an Elks Club or Mason lodge when it's over a million dollars for a 1000sq ft building!

Then you get into the previously discussed counterfeiting/displacement of physical social activity (via gaming, media consumption, social media participation, etc.) which largely happens in the home or in shared-but-marginally-social spaces like movie theaters. Phone engagement moreover seems to reduce social interaction with proximal people even in explicitly social spaces like bars.

More sinisterly, capitalism has commodified the dislike of 'other' as well as fear and mistrust in myriad ways. This has contributed to a general tenor of unease among some people about engaging outside their sphere. Something like fears of crime victimization sell security systems and true crime podcast patreon subs, but also create apprehension in getting to know ones neighbors - a situation that's devastating to forming community when housing/work is insecure and people need to relocate often.

Discendo Vox posted:

The serial killers all got too fat, couldn't chase their victims anymore.

They spent too much time as cereal killers

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

Elon is so desperate for Trump to come back to twitter, it's really funny that he hasn't. There's only one reason you'd violate that order and that's so the big boy can know that you're loyle to your capo.

Elon was fine with giving over the information requested in the search warrant, but wanted to be able to warn Trump and go public about being persecuted by the government for bringing free speech back to Twitter.

quote:

“Based on ex parte affidavits, the district court found probable cause to search the Twitter account for evidence of criminal offenses. Moreover, the district court found that there were ‘reasonable grounds to believe’ that disclosing the warrant to former President Trump ‘would seriously jeopardize the ongoing investigation’ by giving him ‘an opportunity to destroy evidence, change patterns of behavior, [or] notify confederates,’” the appeals court noted.

quote:

Twitter complained that the order violated the First Amendment and that the federal judge overseeing the matter at the time — U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell — should have blocked enforcement of the search warrant until the objection was resolved.

The appeals court endorsed Howell’s decision, saying that even disclosing part of the warrant to Trump would have jeopardized the ongoing criminal investigation.

“[T]he whole point of the nondisclosure order was to avoid tipping off the former President about the warrant’s existence,” the panel ruled.

The DOJ also couldn't get ahold of Elon because he disbanded the company's customer support and compliance departments after he took over and then tried to dodge getting served.

Everything leaked about the early days of the Twitter takeover (and still today, honestly) is like something out of a parody script about Elon. He desperately wants to be seen as persecuted and is going to the mat harder for Trump than his own legal team.

quote:

The judges emphasized that the nondisclosure order was temporary and reasonably tailored to protect the significant probe. The company, they noted “remained free to raise general concerns about warrants or nondisclosure orders, and to speak publicly about the January 6 investigation.”

The opinion describes the Justice Department’s “difficulties” in initially making contact with Twitter — which had only recently been taken over by Musk — to serve the search warrant. Prosecutors first attempted to contact the company on Jan. 17 via its website for legal requests but found the page to be inoperative.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OctaMurk posted:

The Line (styled THE LINE; Arabic: ذا لاين) is a linear smart city under construction in Saudi Arabia in Neom, Tabuk Province, which is designed to have no cars, streets or carbon emissions. The 170-kilometre-long (110 mi) city is part of Saudi Vision 2030 project, which Saudi Arabia claims will create around 460,000 jobs and add an estimated $48 billion to the country's GDP. The Line is planned to be the first development of a $500 billion project in Neom. The city's plans anticipate a population of 9 million though Saudi Arabia has a population of 35.5 million. Excavation work had started along the entire length of the project by October 2022.

I just find this funny because I’m a big fan of Spec Ops: The Line, a game where Dubai gets decimated by a massive persistent sandstorm and turns into an Apocalypse Now! hellhole.

Yes, I know Dubai isn’t in SA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed, but allegedly Trump has some kind of exclusivity deal with TruthSocial

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Does twitter save drafts of unsent tweets?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t know if it was ever confirmed, but allegedly Trump has some kind of exclusivity deal with TruthSocial

It was confirmed. It was an 18-month exclusivity deal to not post on any other platforms, but it ended on June 22nd. He can post on Twitter now if he wants.

quote:

An 18-month exclusivity clause with Truth Social, which made the platform Trump’s primary social media outlet and gave it six-hour exclusivity on all posts from his personal handle, ended on June 22, 2023. Since then, neither the company nor Trump has announced an extension to this exclusivity deal, which likely means the former president is free to use Twitter however he wants. Aside from Truth Social, Trump has also been using his Instagram account occasionally to post campaign videos and photos—which was allowed under his exclusivity deal.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be fair, Trump signing a document saying he won’t do something by no means indicates that he isn’t going to do said thing, so I can’t blame Elon for still trying.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Does twitter save drafts of unsent tweets?

Yep, you can go look at your drafts across devices so they’re being saved on their servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

selec posted:

Yep, you can go look at your drafts across devices so they’re being saved on their servers.

Iirc that was how Petraeus got caught in his affair (saved Gmail drafts)