Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Slamhound posted:

This is really interesting because the wave is Vir's answer to Morden's "What do you want?" So Vir also surrendered to his rage and need for revenge, thus damning Centauri Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_5aBnMHwA

This is a weird take. The only involvement Vir had with sentencing Morden to death was that Londo clearly heard about their little conversation. If Vir hadn’t told Morden to go die mad, Londo would have just killed him in a less entertaining way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

In that scene where Vir and mr. Morden have that conversation, Vir doesn't seem particularly angry either, he was more making a point that he detests mr. Morden (perhaps for what he's doing to Londo or Centauri in general) and is making a somewhat philosophical and sarcastic remark about karma eventually catching up to assholes. Which, you know, also happens to Londo, so there you go, but I wouldn't say that Vir was engulfed with rage in that encounter.

Of course I may have been bamboozled by Vir's generally cheery disposition :ohdear: Was Vir Mephisto all along?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gyrotica posted:

This is a weird take. The only involvement Vir had with sentencing Morden to death was that Londo clearly heard about their little conversation. If Vir hadn’t told Morden to go die mad, Londo would have just killed him in a less entertaining way.

The interpretation I've seen is that everyone who answered Morden got what they asked for. Londo saw the Centauri stretch forth their hand and retake their place in the galaxy. G'Kar saw the Centauri crushed. Delenn saw Morden leave the room. And Vir got to wave at Morden's head.

That clip ends just before the detail that took me years to notice:

Vavrek posted:

edit: Unrelated, I have noticed one of the greatest subtle details in this show.

Vir: "... and wave, like this." :byewhore:
Morden: :flip:

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Vavrek posted:

The interpretation I've seen is that everyone who answered Morden got what they asked for. Londo saw the Centauri stretch forth their hand and retake their place in the galaxy. G'Kar saw the Centauri crushed. Delenn saw Morden leave the room. And Vir got to wave at Morden's head.

Yeah, that sounds like people got Morden confused with the genie from Wishmaster.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Slamhound posted:

This is really interesting because the wave is Vir's answer to Morden's "What do you want?" So Vir also surrendered to his rage and need for revenge, thus damning Centauri Prime.

Eh, he had no agency at the time of Morden's death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I started streaming Babylon 5 episodes twice a week in a close knit Discord server, and a few of the people watching, are viewing the show for the first time ever. :3:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It was the discord of great sadness. The discord of pain. And a discord of joy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Discord Project was our last, best hope for peace.

It failed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When he was talking to Vir, Morden wasn't sending out whatever vibes he did to G'kar and Londo and Delenn to get them to be candid about their darker impulses, but Vir did feel comfortable casually throwing out that he'd like to see Morden dead and his body desecrated for the same reason that Londo felt comfy dreaming of dark violent things, he thought he was in a dead end position with no worry of making anything happen.

You'd think if killing Morden was going to be a big point, the decision to do it would've been covered instead of just cutting to after it's been done. Although it does make if funnier.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I didn't mean to suggest either Vir or Morden had direct influence on what happened, rather that Morden's offer and Vir's response operated on the Ancient Greek prophetic level.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Plus Morden's associates were listening in, as always.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midjack posted:

The Shadows were already gone by then but maybe Morden could have kept the Drakh off their backs?

The Drakh came to Centauri Prime in great part because Londo had been a disloyal servant. If he didn't turn on Morden and nuke the Isle of Selene, they probably wouldn't have felt the need to put a Keeper on him.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

SlothfulCobra posted:

When he was talking to Vir, Morden wasn't sending out whatever vibes he did to G'kar and Londo and Delenn to get them to be candid about their darker impulses, but Vir did feel comfortable casually throwing out that he'd like to see Morden dead and his body desecrated for the same reason that Londo felt comfy dreaming of dark violent things, he thought he was in a dead end position with no worry of making anything happen.

You'd think if killing Morden was going to be a big point, the decision to do it would've been covered instead of just cutting to after it's been done. Although it does make if funnier.

londo says "oh Mr Morden, i haven't even started with you yet" or something along those lines which pretty much indicates the decision had been made.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Horizon Burning posted:

londo says "oh Mr Morden, i haven't even started with you yet" or something along those lines which pretty much indicates the decision had been made.

Yeah, were you expected a beheading and putting the head on a pike was going to be visualized in loving detail or something? On 1990s broadcast TV?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Umm... my sabnzbd just sent me an email that The Road Home was just successfully downloaded. May have leaked early for those who shop in Sweden.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Found a couple of clips from The Road Home floating about. Links only in case people don't want to see anything at all.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It's around as :filez: already.

I liked it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The voices (for the original actors who have died) seem pretty on-point.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Riven posted:

S1E17 Legacies

More rules lawyering. From Delenn now, and a confirmation that gray council is religious caste?
All the heroes of this show are rules lawyers. Gonna loving love it if the giant shadow squids are defeated by quoting rules of physics to them or something.

:allears:

Somebody remember to quote this post back to Riven when they get into season 4.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The voices (for the original actors who have died) seem pretty on-point.

They don't even know how to say pak'ma'ra. The only one who sounds kinda like the character is Zathras.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space Butler posted:

I liked it.

This makes me feel better about this movie. Gonna watch it this morning, but I purchased the film on Amazon Prime already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Space Butler posted:

I liked it.

As long as you buy it when you get the chance. Those sales are important.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay had a chance to watch, it was okay! Big time nostalgia / what-if movie that is entirely for die hard Babylon 5 fans only. It helps that there is some good humor here. Especially if you like puns and dad jokes :dadjoke: Buy it if you're a fan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jedit posted:

And stream it, they count the watch numbers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

And stream it, they count the watch numbers.

ooh right, im gonna have this on in the background non-stop 24/7

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

When is the official release?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Winifred Madgers posted:

When is the official release?

The 15th.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Goddamn, The Road Home was really nice. Very enjoyable indeed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zathras

[edit]
poo poo sorry, I meant Zathras.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MikusR posted:

They don't even know how to say pak'ma'ra. The only one who sounds kinda like the character is Zathras.

I don't know, i thought he sounded more like Zarhras.

E: ^^^^^^ lmao same joke.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Nobody likes a smart-Zathralec

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Pre-ordered it weeks ago.

Anyone else think that last couple of minutes was a really unsubtle setup for the reboot?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Space Butler posted:

Pre-ordered it weeks ago.

Anyone else think that last couple of minutes was a really unsubtle setup for the reboot?

No, I don't see any reason to think so. It would be very weird and nothing but unnecessary baggage if any potential reboot took that as its premise.

Zat fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 10, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I enjoyed it, I especially enjoyed Zathras making copyright jokes.

It was a fun romp and nice to reminisce but I can't help but think it lacked what made B5 amazing (at least to me) and couldn't be done in this format/time, a long and intricate story with lots of payoffs and political drama.

Glad I watched it, but maybe wasn't able to meet my internal hype for it. I'll stew on it and maybe find a different perspective later.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Zathras

[edit]
poo poo sorry, I meant Zathras.

SPOILERS!!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What is a Zathras?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A miserable pile of secrets

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

What is a Zathras?

Well, Zathras is the glue that holds everyone together.

But Zathras is just a dick.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Well, Zathras is the glue that holds everyone together.

But Zathras is just a dick.

You are not the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TraderStav posted:

I enjoyed it, I especially enjoyed Zathras making copyright jokes.

I've been an idiot in this thread before, so I figure I'm not losing any more face by asking what was the copyright Sheridan would've been infringing in that joke scene? He couldn't say time and space together?