Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

Speaking of Standby in iOS 17, how do I reliably get it to appear? I got this Anker MagSafe charge stand for Standby the other day, but in a few nights of putting my phone on there, I've only seen Standby once. I don't have the portrait lock enabled in Control Center but it's like my phone stays in portrait mode despite putting it on the charge stand horizontally :confused:

Is this something that'll get fixed in future betas or am I doing something wrong?

Make sure it's as horizontal as you can get it. I know when I put mine on my stand, I have to nudge it just right so it kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I just bought one of these last week and it's been really good. The magnet is really strong and works with my Otterbox case I got at Apple (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HQ5C2ZM/A/otterbox-figura-series-case-with-magsafe-for-iphone-14-pro-max-black).

Loving the ios17 nightstand mode - hope more apps get added to it.
https://www.amazon.ca/ESR-HaloLock-Kickstand-Magsafe-Compatible-Removable/dp/B08YYMCK26/

Only downside is that it doesn't come with a wall charger for USB-C so I had to get one as my only ones are the one that came with my Apple Watch. Walmart had a dual plug for $39 CAD which seemed a bit excessive but it is what it is and I didnt want to order one from Amazon and wait.
Do you find the narrow width of the stand part affects stability?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's rock solid. The only negative is that the magnet is maybe TOO strong? I have to put effort in taking it off if I am laying down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get that with the apple MagSafe puck too, it’s just how things are.

I fixed it with a command strip to stick it to my nightstand and now it’s great.. and I can remove it with no residue if I decide to.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno, can I? From my experience European carriers are a bit slower to adopt the new poo poo Apple throws into iPhones.

Not to mention I’m planning on going to South America end of the year, most likely after the next iPhone comes out.

Airalo is what I use for international travel eSIMs. Data-only but, well, I don’t actually want to talk to people anyway. They have country-specific eSIMs as well as regional ones, which are useful if you have a multi-country itinerary. (And yes, they have South American options.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I used Airalo when I traveled to the UK earlier this year and I'm using it for another trip in a month. Like the poster above me said, data only, but I used it with a Google Voice account to be able to make a few calls in a pinch.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Another vote for Airalo here. Just got home about 24 hours ago from a trip where I used it in two different countries, in fact.

One cool thing is that even after an eSIM expires with them, if you intend to go back to wherever it was valid for, you can just leave it on your phone (turned off, of course) and then when it's time to travel again, just go back into their app and top it up, no need to set up/install the eSIM again. Convenient for me as I'm usually traveling to the same countries to visit family every six months or so.

I felt a certain disgusting goony smugness as the plane was starting its final descent for my home country and everyone in the row next to me was popping out their SIM trays to swap 'em out. :smug:

For what it's worth, though, I still dunno why Apple ditched the tray for America only. It's not like anything is gained right now by freeing up that space if the design for every other country still has to leave space for the physical tray. I guess to force compliance/adoption but still, a bit weird.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Boris Galerkin posted:

I dunno, can I? From my experience European carriers are a bit slower to adopt the new poo poo Apple throws into iPhones.

Not to mention I’m planning on going to South America end of the year, most likely after the next iPhone comes out.

After having spent an hour in 2019 at the Vodafone kiosk in the airport with a fairly useless agent who sold us a fairly expensive plan that had both a data cap and a 2Mbit speed limit, the new eSIM landscape is a nice change.

https://esims.io/

Search your destination, make a deicison that fits your requirements for countries, data limits, and duration.
Buy it and activate it before you leave.
Touch down and immediately have access to maps, messaging, etc.

Godsend.

(only downside is most if not all of the cheap eSIM providers are data only)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All the talk about traveling with esims… I forgot the last time I went to Europe I had an iPhone I bought from Apple outright so no issues, but when I was in the Caribbean in June I had my AT&T contract phone, and it wouldn’t let me use Airalo. Is there a general amount of time that has to pass before AT&T will let me use a secondary SIM, or can I just call and ask nicely for the lock to be removed? I’ll be in Europe again in December which will at least be over the 12 month barrier, so hoping it can be done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks for the recommendations I’ll keep it in mind.

Will having a data only plan with esim let me keep using WhatsApp? If I went to Europe for example I’d only communicate with my European contacts via WhatsApp. Currently they talk to me by texting my US number on WhatsApp.

E: so like what I’d like to do is say arrive to EU, get a data only esim plan. My friends in EU would keep msging me on WhatsApp at my 555-555-5555 number but I would send and receive those msgs with the esim plan.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

eSIM can be provided by most conventional telcos in Europe, only weird MVNO won't stock them. TIM (main Italian telco) started stocking them in 2016 due to samsung galaxy watches relying on them but mostly after nov 2019(I remember the date cause, the second they started selling them, i jumped on it to put my work sim in the physical slot and mine as esim).

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Boris Galerkin posted:

Will having a data only plan with esim let me keep using WhatsApp? If I went to Europe for example I’d only communicate with my European contacts via WhatsApp. Currently they talk to me by texting my US number on WhatsApp.

E: so like what I’d like to do is say arrive to EU, get a data only esim plan. My friends in EU would keep msging me on WhatsApp at my 555-555-5555 number but I would send and receive those msgs with the esim plan.

That will work. WhatsApp might prompt you to update your number but you can ignore it.

I travelled from Finland-Singapore-Australia and back again a few months ago, used esim the entire way. No issues using WhatsApp.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
edit: figured it out

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 9, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, should work, and what’s more you should be able to make calls using Facetime and messaging over iMessage. That does require keeping track of blue vs green chats of course.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That does require keeping track of blue vs green chats of course.

Or having some goddamn standards

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there really no way to get a new iPhone 14 Pro with a physical SIM card in the US? I’m not going to get a 14 Pro with the 15 right around the corner but when I do get the 15 I’d like to be able to use a SIM card.

Lol nope, Apple says gently caress you figure it out.

I don’t quite follow though: do you use a small MNVO in the US, or when traveling abroad ? Which one?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

All the talk about traveling with esims… I forgot the last time I went to Europe I had an iPhone I bought from Apple outright so no issues, but when I was in the Caribbean in June I had my AT&T contract phone, and it wouldn’t let me use Airalo. Is there a general amount of time that has to pass before AT&T will let me use a secondary SIM, or can I just call and ask nicely for the lock to be removed? I’ll be in Europe again in December which will at least be over the 12 month barrier, so hoping it can be done.

ATT won’t unlock your phone until it’s paid off. Once it’s paid off they legally have to unlock it (but they won’t usually Auto Unlock it because lol it’s ATT).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol nope, Apple says gently caress you figure it out.

I don’t quite follow though: do you use a small MNVO in the US, or when traveling abroad ? Which one?

In the US. I have one of those Verizon(?) reseller accounts that costs me $13/month for unlimited everything but I think my data theoretically gets throttled after 5GB or whatever but I’ve never seen it happen. There are no options for me to pay for international data roaming or whatever like my friends have with their $100+ a month real Verizon plans.

When I travel abroad I also just grab whatever cheapest SIM card gives me a data plan, which are also MVNOs usually, I’m assuming.

Other people have informed me about my esim options in the places I want to visit though so it’s a moot point now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT won’t unlock your phone until it’s paid off. Once it’s paid off they legally have to unlock it (but they won’t usually Auto Unlock it because lol it’s ATT).

It’s also worth calling in and seeing if the carrier had any leeway or you catch an agent on a good day. I’ve heard of people at some carriers only needing to pay a few months to unlock or just calling and saying they are doing international travel and the agent saying sure.

Though I know some places don’t let the tier 1 service have access to unlocking so it might need to be escalated. Like all mobile poo poo it’s widely YMMV.

Edit: though in my quickest of googling it seems ATT is particularly rigid in this instance.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 9, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love Airalo but the ONE issue I have with it is that my iMessage breaks 9 times outta 10. I have no idea how to keep it working.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks both, drat that’s a pain… maybe I’ll pick up an unlocked older model just to travel with. At least I’m prepared this time!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I haven’t been following iPhone rumours lately. Is USB-C the only new feature worth to mention with the 15 - and are we sure that’s even happening?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xabi posted:

I haven’t been following iPhone rumours lately. Is USB-C the only new feature worth to mention with the 15 - and are we sure that’s even happening?

Supppppppposedly the mute switch is being replaced with an 'action button,' similar to the Watch Ultra.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Usb c has been coming for the last 3 years so lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

Supppppppposedly the mute switch is being replaced with an 'action button,' similar to the Watch Ultra.

The mute switch was revolutionary and I’ll be damned if they take it! Now I see why the 3.5mm die hards fought back…

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
PB3 is out now. PB2 already felt pretty polished so my only hope is that battery life improves

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A mute button seems like it would be a nightmare.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mute switch is half of why I stick with an iPhone

Didn’t they already turn the power button into an “action” button?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

A mute button seems like it would be a nightmare.

It probably doesn't mute right away. might have to tap a pattern like "shave and a haircut, two bits."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

Mute switch is half of why I stick with an iPhone

You should be able to reassign it to orientation lock like on iPad imo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rotating the iPad is a natural act due to its size, rotating an iPhone outside of video playback is the act of a heretic.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rotating the iPad is a natural act due to its size, rotating an iPhone outside of video playback is the act of a heretic.

I don't believe in iPhone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm fine with them changing it since I keep it on mute like 99% of the time, so maybe I can use this action button for something useful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rotating the iPad is a natural act due to its size,

People use them vertically? :confused:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

All the time especially when using the awful app.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I use my iPad vertically unless I’m watching a video or reading a comic

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I love Airalo but the ONE issue I have with it is that my iMessage breaks 9 times outta 10. I have no idea how to keep it working.

drat, I thought this was just me. Glad to know it isn't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

All the time especially when using the awful app.

Okay... if you want to use it wrong, I guess. Sure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There’s really no reason mute can’t be in the action centre like it is on iPads. I’ve found ever since I started going caseless it’s way too easy to accidentally put the phone on silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I use my ipad mini almost exclusively vertically. I have absolutely no interest in upgrading due to the "jelly scrolling" thing the latest one does in that orientation