Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

The gold flakes don’t show on camera very well but it’s pretty snazzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
It was so hot I’m actually both physically tired and sleepy after a mild 20ish miles, but i met a new lesbian skate crew :) Most of this ones actually near my neighborhood too

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I was massively into skating back in junior high (was good enough to go down halfpipes!), but was worried it was not cool enough and stopped through hs/college. Now I am in my 30s and past being cool I have gotten back in and forgot how much I love this sport. I was never into biking, but the ability to basically dance while traveling is so drat satisfying.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ShimmyGuy posted:

I was massively into skating back in junior high (was good enough to go down halfpipes!), but was worried it was not cool enough and stopped through hs/college. Now I am in my 30s and past being cool I have gotten back in and forgot how much I love this sport. I was never into biking, but the ability to basically dance while traveling is so drat satisfying.

:bisonyes:

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up going ice skating a few more times because it was randomly freeish at the local rink and then today I skated outside because the weather was nice.

Holy poo poo the first 15 minutes of inline skating felt totally cursed after ice skating, I guess mainly because of the weight/momentum of the skates.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

mystes posted:

I ended up going ice skating a few more times because it was randomly freeish at the local rink and then today I skated outside because the weather was nice.

Holy poo poo the first 15 minutes of inline skating felt totally cursed after ice skating, I guess mainly because of the weight/momentum of the skates.

I always get confused by the differences in braking after I switch from one to the other.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Figured I would share this with you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQlLQqMP6I&t=40s

mystes
May 31, 2006

I believe that's this guy btw https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPIXPETLuf1oORLGl4FjIwA

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
What a beautiful madman :allears:

mystes
May 31, 2006

He's very much the skating equivalent of Terry Barentsen which is to say pretty awesome but I think you would have to be insane to skate like that

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mystes posted:

He's very much the skating equivalent of Terry Barentsen which is to say pretty awesome but I think you would have to be insane to skate like that

i ride all of those roads and uh definitely not like that

mystes
May 31, 2006

This video where he chases an equally insane (or possibly more insane?) quadskater through a tunnel on some sort of group skate is also pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-d39dN6NwM

(skip to 1:00 for maximum insanity)

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 3, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

This video where he chases an equally insane quadskater through a tunnel on some sort of group skate is also pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-d39dN6NwM

lol weds night skate is how I started street skating, its a hell of a lot easier to develop the boldness in a group. one of my pals has been doin this group skate since the 90s.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I found it because I watch all his stuff and ride alot. Actually was in NYC a few months ago and rode the entirety of 5th Ave, not as fast, but similar in style I guess.

Riding in Manhattan is stupid fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I watch Terry B's videos too but I can't imagine wanting to bike like that because if you try to go through red lights at speed it's only going to take one time when you don't react fast enough to die.

I also don't think I would ever want to skate backwards on a road with cars on it, which is something all the inline skaters on youtube do constantly.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I love street skating but since I always have little hard park wheels on I am slow as gently caress. I've been thinking about restoring an old pair of derby skates I have laying around, maybe they'll become some legit street skates. Anyone have multiple pairs of skates? What's is like switching back and forth? Do you use them for different stuff or just to kind of suit your fancy?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

God drat I am jealous of those roads compared to London.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I switch wheels while keeping the same boots far more often. 8 wheels are smaller/easier to carry than two boots if you’re going to skate to a flat space such as a rink.

Edit:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

God drat I am jealous of those roads compared to London.

Once I took my skates to Dublin lol what a loving waste of effort

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Once I took my skates to Dublin lol what a loving waste of effort

Ha well I guess it could be worse then! Some parts of London aren't too bad but you get lots of sudden changes from smooth into absolute poo poo because they only ever resurface parts of the road at a time.

The "pedestrian" bits along the river aren't too bad though if you don't mind getting viciously train tracked now and again.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

Anyone have multiple pairs of skates? What's is like switching back and forth? Do you use them for different stuff or just to kind of suit your fancy?

I’ve got a set of 4x90 and 3x125 frames that I swap from time to time based on where I’m going skating. It’s a little annoying, would be much more convenient if they had dedicated boots. But the principle behind it is solid.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Switching frames is a pain in the rear end imo. You can get frames that'll take three or four weeks but they're Endless ones so you're probably going to pay as much as just getting a boot and you definitely couldn't swap those sizes in and out.

I was looking at getting a set of 4x90 frames and wheels as a replacement/switch out for mine but it was like 80% of the price of just buying an entire new pair of skates.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The thing I'm most worried about is going back and forth between plates. Like, am I going to go for a nice skate around town, then flop on my park skates and promptly fall down a ramp because my kingpin flexes an extra 3°?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Met squid last night, friendly but quite the self-promoter

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Met squid last night, friendly but quite the self-promoter

were you in a mall?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

were you in a mall?

No? If you’re asking about the table I was at a sidewalk cafe this afternoon and pulled the card out to use as a joint tip, which reminded me of this thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

it was just a joke because he keeps making videos where he skates in malls and poo poo like that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If I only skate when it's dry how often should I be cleaning my bearings? I do about 12 miles 3 times a week.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think if it's totally always dry and you never come in contact with dust/dirt/sand or anything you can go pretty much indefinitely honestly

I guess maybe I just can't answer that question because I encounter water frequently enough that I can't really see how long I could go otherwise, but in perfect conditions I bet you could go 6 months

If you only skate in perfect conditions honestly you could probably just use them as long as you can and then replace them rather than cleaning them, although in those conditions you could also probably just use a tiny amount of light oil which would make cleaning them a lot quicker

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

No Wave posted:

If I only skate when it's dry how often should I be cleaning my bearings? I do about 12 miles 3 times a week.

I try to clean once a month, every 250 mi or so, or when performance is notably degraded. I have never cleaned my bearings and thought ‘well that feels the same.’

I’ve also heard speed skaters say they ride intentionally lovely bearings so that they can feel a massive improvement when using new bearings for competition, and others who clean their bearings once a year cause they mainly skate flat clean surfaces.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah lowered performance just means a better workout in my case so it's not a huge deal. I'll probably wait three months then see how it feels before/after, ty.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

When you say "clean the bearings" do you mean like "take apart, clean,grease, press back together"?

Because I have literally never done that on these skates and I've had them for maybe 4 years?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

When you say "clean the bearings" do you mean like "take apart, clean,grease, press back together"?

Because I have literally never done that on these skates and I've had them for maybe 4 years?

Take wheels off of trucks, remove bearings from wheels, take single side of shielding off if shielded, soak in acetone, dry, speed lube, reseal, replace bearings into wheels, rotate wheels, replace wheels onto trucks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you do manage to get water in them you basically have to do that or your bearings will be immediately ruined regardless of what condition they were in before that

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Clean bearings???

:confused:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

Take wheels off of trucks, remove bearings from wheels, take single side of shielding off if shielded, soak in acetone, dry, speed lube, reseal, replace bearings into wheels, rotate wheels, replace wheels onto trucks.

drat that's a lot of effort. I just wipe them off when I'm rotating wheels (inlines) and maybe put a dot of oil on them in a vague attempt to lubricate them a bit.

I guess I don't really ever get water in them though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"Max speed 32mph" lol I don't think so Strava.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I went to a real life rink for the first time in a decade today. It was a two hour trip to get there but drat if it wasn't fun as hell. Also, wtf, why is wood so loving easy to skate on. I looked like a damned ballerina out there.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Can't stop myself now. Making the 2 hour pilgrimage AGAIN to skate on that sweet sweet hardwood.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
My blades are an hour away and I am sick and my childcare situation is extremely gnarly right now, but I did see that they’re putting down some fresh asphalt over in the giant parking lot that I have enjoyed riding on for the variety of textures on it and surrounding trails and sidewalks. Dreaming of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Can't stop myself now. Making the 2 hour pilgrimage AGAIN to skate on that sweet sweet hardwood.

I ended up street skating for like 7 hours today after getting jealous of the hardwood posting