Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you have the Conjurer Job yet? It has a passive skill to halve SP costs...

Not yet, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, Harvey's rear end: kicked. He was kind of a chump, TBH, but it didn't help him that Armsmaster Osvald is actually kinda cracked. 2 Ice boosting weapons + the stupidly strong staff bash skill. I was trying to get the dramatic last hit on Harvey with The One True Magic but I messed it up and killed him with a random beast move from Ochette that I picked by accident. I guess it's fitting that a loser like him gets an anticlimactic death like that.

Next up, Temenos! (After I hunt down some harder-hitting weapons, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm at the point where I'm at the final chapters for all 4 of my TOOT folks, with an average level of 46 or so. Will probably go Osvald first because I want to punch Harvey in his slimy face. I am learning the joys of feeding BP into Ochette as much as possible so that I can throw out 14k Hunter's Fangs/Brand's Blades every turn. I'm definitely feeling the hurt on her small SP pool when it comes to using BBs though.
Have you got the Librarian's Amulet?. That and Vigorous Victor will solve SP problems.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, some of them are. I don't think I've ever gotten any real use out of Throne, Hikari, Temenos or Partitio's.

Throne's is great because you can copy your Armsmaster and use the axe attack even without the specific axe (if the Armsmaster has it). So if Throne is in Hunter or Apothecary with a high-end axe she can do more damage with that than with Aeber's

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, some of them are. I don't think I've ever gotten any real use out of Throne, Hikari, Temenos or Partitio's.

Funny you mention Partitio and Temenos together.

Partitio's ability lets you increase SP way over the cap if you boost it. Temeno's ability is the strongest light attack in the game that scales on total SP in addition to magic stats. So if you combine them, Temenos will do ridiculous damage. Probably the easiest way to hit damage cap with magic thinking about it. Also if you aren't going for that Partitio's ability is still good for doubling/tripling Hikari's/Ochette's max SP so they can do more things.

Hikari's is just a really strong physical move, but yeah I agree it's probably the least interesting since there are other strong physical moves he can use instead.

As for throne well.. have you ever wanted two Hikari's? That's how you get two Hikari's. But yeah just being able to have two of your strongest party member is really good and there's lots of shennigans you can do it with it.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 8, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

Have you got the Librarian's Amulet?. That and Vigorous Victor will solve SP problems.

I think I do? I'm currently running the "negatives are now positive" accessory + Rosary of Redemption combination on her though, and my passive skill slots for her are really tight. I might mess around with them later tonight though.

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
Looking for a new game after FF16 and that diablo 4 was underwhelming. I’ve been eyeing octo 2 but I’m unsure. Is this a solid pick-up for some casual play? I’m all for turn-based combat, so not worried about that. I did hear that some of the individual stories were a little cringe and drag a bit though. Is this the case?

Edit: also heard that the game can be super unforgiving. Just looking for a fairly chill drop-in/drop-out story driven game. I definitely want to engage in the games mechanics for sure, but I don’t want to HAVE to min/max and pull up spreadsheets to beat bosses.

I didn’t play octopath 1 but I heard the second is fairly stand-alone and a good place to start

Toastymcfly fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
obviously tastes vary, but I think all the stories in Octopath 2 range from decent to good, and the gameplay is hella solid

The real stinkers were a couple of story beats in Octopath 1, but I can't think of any in 2 that would scare me away from recommending it.

E: I wouldn't call the game unforgiving; I made it through fine and I would never min-max or spreadsheet. Absolutely start with 2 and only check out 1 if you're totally hooked.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Toastymcfly posted:

I did hear that some of the individual stories were a little cringe and drag a bit though. Is this the case?

I liked them all, but I'm not not a dork, so I wouldn't say that rules out cringe.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The only thing I'd say is unforgiving is the bonus boss. And there wasn't a single minute where I thought the game was dragging, as opposed to ff16; cutscenes especially, though that's more of a testament to the voice acting and writing, really. It's all relative like Zulily said, but I can't think of a comfier JRPG despite how dark it can get.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Toastymcfly posted:

Looking for a new game after FF16 and that diablo 4 was underwhelming. I’ve been eyeing octo 2 but I’m unsure. Is this a solid pick-up for some casual play? I’m all for turn-based combat, so not worried about that. I did hear that some of the individual stories were a little cringe and drag a bit though. Is this the case?

Edit: also heard that the game can be super unforgiving. Just looking for a fairly chill drop-in/drop-out story driven game. I definitely want to engage in the games mechanics for sure, but I don’t want to HAVE to min/max and pull up spreadsheets to beat bosses.

I didn’t play octopath 1 but I heard the second is fairly stand-alone and a good place to start

For me so far there's definitely too much combat, without the "encounter fewer enemies" thing I feel like I don't get chance to really look around because I'm constantly fighting.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

Like you I went from FF16 to Octopath 2 (with a couple of short games in between) without playing Octopath 1 first and I'm having a blast. Not gonna compare the two because they're about as far from each other as you can get while still being a Japanese RPG and they scratch completely different itches, but I can say that casual play should be alright, a single chapter for one character is like... half an hour or so? I'm also not super try-hard on the combat and am mostly just messing around, but I've organically found some hard-hitting combos (though I doubt they're optimal), and I'm sure you will too just from repeated play.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Toastymcfly posted:

I grabbed Octopath 2 for Switch with the intent of playing on bus/plane/train rides during summer travel and it's been fantastic. It's so good that I also wound up playing a lot on spare evenings, but it's also been great for my originally intended purpose. Popping on for 20 minutes to an hour while in transit and turning it off when I reach my destination works fine. Even if you play a full chapter, they normally top out at 1 hour in length, and it's easy to save and set aside mid-chapter too.

I don't play a lot of turn-based JRPGs, the only other ones I've finished were a couple of the Persona games, but I've been handling the difficulty just fine. I have to think my way through all the bosses, but nothing has taken more than two attempts. I'm near the end of the game and I def never had to min/max or do any crazy grinding or guide-following. It's very approachable for a casual JRPG enjoyer, without being braindead. I don't think I'd call it unforgiving at all.

And also, I never played the first game either, and don't feel like I'm missing anything. Outside of the title, you'd never know it was a sequel.

In short, I think I'm playing it the same way you would and it's been one of my favorite games this year. Strongly recommend.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I did play OT1, and I can pretty confidently say that 2 is practically better than it in every respect.

The only suggestion I’d make is to choose a character that you think that you’re going like the most, because you’re forced to keep them in your party all the time until you’ve beaten their story.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Octopath 1 was a fun game but the improvements from 1 to 2 are just huge. Hopefully we get an Octopath 3 and it manages a similar jump in quality. Also maybe an encounter slider but that comes with its own problems due to how the world's designed (exploration would be risk free even for a fresh start).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Octopath 1 was a fun game but the improvements from 1 to 2 are just huge. Hopefully we get an Octopath 3 and it manages a similar jump in quality. Also maybe an encounter slider but that comes with its own problems due to how the world's designed (exploration would be risk free even for a fresh start).

And a minimap
God please give me a minimap

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Taear posted:

And a minimap
God please give me a minimap

Isn't there already a minimap in 2?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

Isn't there already a minimap in 2?

Yeah, tapping the right shoulder button (On Switch) during exploration brings up a mini-map. I've only used it once or twice in the entire game, because normally figuring out where to go is quite intuitive, but it's there for the handful of times you need it.

It only shows the location of quest goals and shops though, not level layouts. I feel like those would spoil some of the exploration and secret finding, but it might be what the other guy wanted.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I mostly kept it off. Coming across the various shrines on my own certainly felt more rewarding than seeing those indicators on the radar.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I know there will probably be some pushback on this but I'd love if Octopath 3 adopted COTC's party comp system. 8 characters with a front and back row. I think it could lead to some fun combos. You get small tastes of it right at the end of the game in Octopath 2 and I enjoyed that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm really enjoying Octopath COTC, although I'm still super early so maybe the gacha gets oppressive at endgame or something. But so far it's like a ton more Octopath vignettes with new characters.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Fights are getting harder for sure. You used to be able to make it through the whole thing with 4 star units, you probably still can with considerable planning, but I think it's coming where meta units are going to be more and more needed.

Fiore EX just came out and she looks like she breaks the game on certain fights by being an uber tank. I managed to pull her but haven't really gotten to play as my phone is bricked so I'm waiting on a new one. I've got it on an emulator in the mean time just farming xp nuts to level up characters while I'm at work.

I know people hate gacha games here and I get it, but COTC story/music/characters/combat is actually pretty fun.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Combo posted:

Fights are getting harder for sure. You used to be able to make it through the whole thing with 4 star units, you probably still can with considerable planning, but I think it's coming where meta units are going to be more and more needed.

Fiore EX just came out and she looks like she breaks the game on certain fights by being an uber tank. I managed to pull her but haven't really gotten to play as my phone is bricked so I'm waiting on a new one. I've got it on an emulator in the mean time just farming xp nuts to level up characters while I'm at work.

I know people hate gacha games here and I get it, but COTC story/music/characters/combat is actually pretty fun.

I just did a bunch of free pulls on the anniversary banner and managed to get 7 5*, including Cyrus, Ophelia, and Viola so I'm feeling pretty good. It's fun to have the battle system in my pocket for quick play sessions.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just platinum’d OT2, amazing experience. Not ashamed to say I used a guide for the secret boss and on the real final boss. Though on the real final boss things kinda deviated right as the second phase started so I basically did that part on my own at least

Still mad at the petrifying boss tho

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Combo posted:

I know there will probably be some pushback on this but I'd love if Octopath 3 adopted COTC's party comp system. 8 characters with a front and back row. I think it could lead to some fun combos. You get small tastes of it right at the end of the game in Octopath 2 and I enjoyed that.

I’d be okay with that for specific bosses or stretches of gameplay, but not for the whole game. I like planning my small party composition for specific challenges too much to just have two teams all the time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, tapping the right shoulder button (On Switch) during exploration brings up a mini-map. I've only used it once or twice in the entire game, because normally figuring out where to go is quite intuitive, but it's there for the handful of times you need it.

It only shows the location of quest goals and shops though, not level layouts. I feel like those would spoil some of the exploration and secret finding, but it might be what the other guy wanted.

It's just a radar, not a minimap.
I can never tell where I'm going, I feel blind all the time. Radar just isn't enough for me. Especially when you're constantly interrupted by random battles and I can't remember where I came from

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The overland maps don't always line up with where the branching passages are actually located so I did travel up and down some areas for awhile looking for some hidden pathway that was really just 100 feet further up the road.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The overland maps don't always line up with where the branching passages are actually located so I did travel up and down some areas for awhile looking for some hidden pathway that was really just 100 feet further up the road.

Yea exactly this, it's super frustrating because of how many random encounters there are. I wouldn't mind otherwise, but I definitely go back on myself loads and just end up having a proper annoying time exploring.
I can't read environments so "it's obvious" it never is for me - like mass effect 2 was torture for me because the quests don't have maps inside them

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is a weird conversation for me since I have a bad sense of direction, but fortunately the dungeons in OC2 are just small enough that I don't get lost... while in other games I am bound to get disoriented (and making sure the minimap doesn't rotate is like the first thing I check).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm in the same boat, usually I'm pretty lost in sprawling dungeons/zones without a map but I haven't had that particular issue in OT2 (yet).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I do like the small dungeons. It really helps not drag things out too much. And it works with Octopath's emphasis on towns and path actions so you are spending more of your time interacting with NPCs and solving those sorts of puzzles instead. Gives it a different feel from other RPGs.

Though, It would be really nice if the no encounters item was accessible before you completely finish the game. Or if there was some system to make it easier to skip/adjust encounters when you overlevel areas like in the BD games. (The support skills help but they aren't the same) But at least with dungeon sizes and fast travel it never becomes too much of an issue I guess.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Anecdotal, but I got the sense that the game actually does lower the encounter rate under the hood for areas you've vastly outleveled. For instance, on most of my lategame visits to the cathedral, I didn't run into a single encounter during the walk up from Flamechurch.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Anecdotal, but I got the sense that the game actually does lower the encounter rate under the hood for areas you've vastly outleveled. For instance, on most of my lategame visits to the cathedral, I didn't run into a single encounter during the walk up from Flamechurch.

I'm pretty sure that comes from doing that side quest with the candles at Flamechurch

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Most of the dungeons in Octopath are straightforward paths (the ones lined with lanterns) that lead directly to the boss/end, with shorter branching dead ends that have treasure.

I think all of them in OT1 are laid out like that, while OT2 sometimes mixes it up a little with branches that branch or re-merge, but they're mostly readable once you get a sense for them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I mean just the normal areas, I've not really had any dungeons yet (I've done Chapter 1 of everyone and that's about it)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean the overworld areas are pretty straightforward too. There are paths to chests that are semi-hidden (but still fairly simple), but the main roads are very straightforward.

I guess if you wanted to b-line to your objectives while fighting as little as possible on your very first run, you can't do that. But... that would be skipping the meat of the game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Taear posted:

I mean just the normal areas, I've not really had any dungeons yet (I've done Chapter 1 of everyone and that's about it)

Well the support skill (I think it's scholar's?) that reduces encounter rate will help a bit. There's another skill that also makes it much easier to run away which I think is a cleric one. In addition to that, there's some support skills that let characters start fights with full boost and/or latent gauge. This will later let you make set ups where you can end a lot of encounters with a single turn. Like a thief with Aebers, Ochette/Hikari's Latent skill, Osvald's spells, etc etc. So it can really cut down the time you spend in encounters.

So you'll at least have a few options to deal with that stuff as you get more jobs and skills.

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!
I really need to finish 1. I got too sidetracked over the years... how was the second game?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Everything you liked about the first while fixing the things you didn't. Basically the perfect sequel/do-over

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I might be a bit overlevelled from messing around with side content. Went into Temenos's final boss with lvl 59 average across the board and beat them in 2 rounds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
that's pretty much how it goes. i had to just wait them out so they could get to their stage 2 dialogue. good thing i did throné's first and not last