Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Not even O'Reilly and the psychos on Fox News were like "Iraq is just the start, take Syria, take Iran, take India!"

Axis of Evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also the sequel, Beyond the Axis of Evil

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Praxis of Evil

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
lol that "presentation with slides" is now "Perun format"
good summary though, thanks for the link. I find that often when creators step outside their area of expertise/interest they have a high risk of getting it badly wrong, so it's nice to see Adam Something continue having decent epistemic hygiene when he gets away from urbanism and trainposting.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

tiaz posted:

I find that often when creators step outside their area of expertise/interest they have a high risk of getting it badly wrong, so it's nice to see Adam Something continue having decent epistemic hygiene when he gets away from urbanism and trainposting.

Lazerpig and others learning this lesson the hard way.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Horrorosaurus posted:

Yeah Belarus in finnish, at least, is called Valkovenäjä, which is literally White Russia and as stated above.

It's kinda interesting, this is what a lazy google search, as for why that is, suggests:

"The name Belarus (or Byelorussia, as it was called earlier) can be literally translated as White Ruthenia. Max Vasmer's dictionary suggests that the name may have come from the white clothing worn by the local Slavic population."

Belarus means White Rus/Ruthenia/Russia or something closeby in also in Russian, Polish, Ukrainian and Church slavic.

There also exists historical areas of Black Rus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Ruthenia and Red Rus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ruthenia

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Pennsylvanian posted:

He might've been fine if he didn't drunkpost, but yeah, that got a wince from me for sure. :shrug: I don't really get where he's coming from with thinking Chieftain's video is "perpetuating the drama" or whatever, it seemed to me a reasonable explanation of the "it genuinely does not matter if the engine is ultimately derived from a nazi one, and it's very difficult to be sure either way" perspective. the T-14 is a joke for a lot of reasons, so why die on that hill?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

I would appreciate some context.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I bet I could beat up the whole Russian army

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

beer_war posted:

I would appreciate some context.

Lazerpig made a video some months ago about how the T-14 sucks rear end. One of the claims made in the video is that the engine is derived from a Nazi design, and underpowered and such.
Some (not that severely iirc, but still) Russian-biased channels responded to that video calling the engine stuff in particular into question. Lazerpig responded to that doubling down on the claims. A more neutral creator, The Chieftain (who actually was a tanker in the past) responded with a more restrained and reasonable perspective as described. Lazerpig wrote a comment under that video basically doubling down and making GBS threads on Chieftain for joining the conversation ('perpetuating the drama') while drunk (admitted, this isn't speculating).
LP later walked that back a little bit but it was pretty disappointing. On the other hand, I've said extremely stupid poo poo online before, so I'm not about to write him off unless he just totally self-immolates clinging to this, which it doesn't look like he's doing.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Putin should pull his lip over his head and swallow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lazerpig is trash lol

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Perun's godlike ability to make a hour long Powerpoint presentation interesting and entertaining is the sole undisputed good thing to come out of this war

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lazerpig is entertaining but shouldn't be considered a good source lmao

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if putin was 5'10 with a decent hog none of this would have happened

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Perun's godlike ability to make a hour long Powerpoint presentation interesting and entertaining is the sole undisputed good thing to come out of this war

That's not a product of the war though, he used to be a Dominions youtuber

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, even I, an idiot, raised an eyebrow at the whole engine bit. Well of course engines are based on historical designs. They don't design a whole new engine from scratch each time they update a design, come on now pig man, please.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Don't trust random YouTube people to be able to confidently expand on stuff like tank schematics. Lazerpig is just some guy, and he's morally right about Ukraine and the debates around it but he's also not some tank designer or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the holy poopacy posted:

But the new content is only thanks to the war.

spankmeister posted:

I mean, even I, an idiot, raised an eyebrow at the whole engine bit. Well of course engines are based on historical designs. They don't design a whole new engine from scratch each time they update a design, come on now pig man, please.
Well maybe not each time, but perhaps when you're designing a new tank in 2020s?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

But the new content is only thanks to the war.

Well maybe not each time, but perhaps when you're designing a new tank in 2020s?

Sure, maybe. But as an example the modern day GM V8 engines trace their lineage back to the chevy small blocks of the 50's. Just 70 years of incremental improvements.

Saying that the 2023 Chevy Silverado has a 1955 engine in it is uninformed and disingenuous.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah I think he was comparing the 12N360 in the T-14 to the original T-34 engine, and they share some things, but are not the same engine, like he claims.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The intent seemed to be that the russians took a bad under-powered engine design then for some reason (corruption) used it in their new "top of the line" tank.

Leading to a relatively light tank somehow being about as fast as a chonker like Challenger

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pennsylvanian posted:

Lazerpig versus an actual tank commander.... that was stupid, Chieftain took a calm & measured approach to the issue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That T-14 video was pretty much wrong about everything, on every count.

I don't think anybody has posted the main debunking video yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWAd1pQiwU

Just Another Lurker posted:

Lazerpig versus an actual tank commander.... that was stupid, Chieftain took a calm & measured approach to the issue.

Not just a commander, a colonel and a professional armored warfare historian, lol

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The intent seemed to be that the russians took a bad under-powered engine design then for some reason (corruption) used it in their new "top of the line" tank.

Leading to a relatively light tank somehow being about as fast as a chonker like Challenger

Yeah.

Like the big point with the video wasn't about hard technical details so much as technical details are a bullshit way to actually evaluate a tank, especially a modern one that's still highly classified where you don't actually know any of the technical details. And from a country that infamously has a track record of lying about virtually everything, and has a high emphasis on propaganda.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

monkeycheese youtubers with british(?) accents are bad enough when they're talking about videogames, nevermind irl war

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

spankmeister posted:

Lazerpig is entertaining but shouldn't be considered a good source lmao

to be clear, I agree with this, though it's not like everything he says is completely false. If it's about something consequential to you, absolutely go look into it instead of taking the word of funny drunk pig man. Chieftain is much more serious but I still wouldn't trust him as a single source on something controversial.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah, this (the engine was pressed into this role and is probably unfavorable) is what he should be defending rather than the origin story. that its previous iterations were presented as a compressor engine suggests it might've had design decisions made that were detrimental to its use as a tank engine, but just that - suggests, might.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

That T-14 video was pretty much wrong about everything, on every count.

I don't think anybody has posted the main debunking video yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWAd1pQiwU

Not just a commander, a colonel and a professional armored warfare historian, lol

Better to post chieftain's video instead of this literal tank enjoyer's video imo, since his debunk is itself is rife with speculation.

https://youtu.be/PUp-qGkQvNo

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1689315534477697026#m
Explosions all day.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1689286354830553089

I don't think God gives much of a gently caress about you lot.

zone fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

but the pig guy sounds like yahtzee :(

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

If all it takes is a British accent, the ability to get drunk, and a willingness to confidently talk about things way beyond my expertise. Then by God I have a long and lucrative Youtube historian career to start

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

the holy poopacy posted:

It's funny, if you go back and watch his Dominions games now, it's like he was meant to do this. He goes into his first two Dom5 multiplayer games, and wins utterly dominating victories over some extremely skilled players. Throughout the whole series he's using the same language and frameworks that are now being used in his videos on Ukraine, the defense industry, national defense strategy, diplomacy, etc., and he's just savagely owning these much more experienced players with it.

For folks interested in Perun as a person, they're fascinating videos. He's very careful to never mention who he works for or what he does, but he'll discuss at length his personal philosophies around diplomacy and conflict in ways that make it clear he's not only put a lot of thought into it, but that he's deeply morally invested in these ideas. If he'd put that content out post-Ukraine I'd dismiss it as "things youtubers say to make themselves sound thoughtful," but he was doing this for an audience of a couple hundred views at a time, essentially talking into a void.

Also he hauls the insane ghosts of ancient murdered gods back from the Underworld to fight for him, and names them after Rupert Murdoch and other Australian conservatives, so, proclick.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1689356159398866944

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

If all it takes is a British accent, the ability to get drunk, and a willingness to confidently talk about things way beyond my expertise. Then by God Jove I have a long and lucrative Youtube historian career to start

ftfy

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Deptfordx posted:

If all it takes is a British accent, the ability to get drunk, and a willingness to confidently talk about things way beyond my expertise. Then by God I have a long and lucrative Youtube historian career to start

Someone beat you to that in 1937

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WpiTa7azQs

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Don't trust random YouTube people to be able to confidently expand on stuff like tank schematics. Lazerpig is just some guy, and he's morally right about Ukraine and the debates around it but he's also not some tank designer or something.

This is true but to be fair, neither is anyone else involved.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol. Pro-click, do not skip past.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Good luck with that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine is occupying Ukraine and it's unfair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kestral posted:

It's funny, if you go back and watch his Dominions games now, it's like he was meant to do this. He goes into his first two Dom5 multiplayer games, and wins utterly dominating victories over some extremely skilled players. Throughout the whole series he's using the same language and frameworks that are now being used in his videos on Ukraine, the defense industry, national defense strategy, diplomacy, etc., and he's just savagely owning these much more experienced players with it.

For folks interested in Perun as a person, they're fascinating videos. He's very careful to never mention who he works for or what he does, but he'll discuss at length his personal philosophies around diplomacy and conflict in ways that make it clear he's not only put a lot of thought into it, but that he's deeply morally invested in these ideas. If he'd put that content out post-Ukraine I'd dismiss it as "things youtubers say to make themselves sound thoughtful," but he was doing this for an audience of a couple hundred views at a time, essentially talking into a void.

Also he hauls the insane ghosts of ancient murdered gods back from the Underworld to fight for him, and names them after Rupert Murdoch and other Australian conservatives, so, proclick.

That actually sounds pretty great, I think I remember hearing about that in one of the old dominion screenshot threads years ago but didn't know it was Perun. I remember watching Nuclearmonkee's videos and liking them too, I'll have to check it out - thanks