Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Not all routers/switches support vlans, and the concept of how vlans work can be confusing to people who aren’t super familiar with how IP traffic works, so that’s why it probably isn’t more widely used.

Even in a household where we have a big ol’ server running pfsense we don’t bother with vlans for smart tech because the setup and maintenance are too much of a bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The point is allowing internet access without giving it access to the rest of your network, right? You couldn't do it with a fire stick that is used to play video from a local nas without breaking that?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

The point is allowing internet access without giving it access to the rest of your network, right? You couldn't do it with a fire stick that is used to play video from a local nas without breaking that?

You can have different vlans with different access, so this is possible if your NAS can either just go on that vlan or be dual-homed (i.e. make another virtual network interface and put it on that vlan). Then you could say that the vlan is able to talk to the internet and your nas but nothing else on your local network.

But yeah it's not supported by a lot of routers, when really they should provide multiple recipes for different use-cases like this.

Network security for anything you put on your home network : obsolete and failed.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

HKR posted:

Not all routers/switches support vlans, and the concept of how vlans work can be confusing to people who aren’t super familiar with how IP traffic works, so that’s why it probably isn’t more widely used.

Even in a household where we have a big ol’ server running pfsense we don’t bother with vlans for smart tech because the setup and maintenance are too much of a bother.

sure, but if you just want to get something WAN access and block it from everything else on your network, a guest SSID would work for that and most consumer routers support that these days.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

legooolas posted:

You can have different vlans with different access, so this is possible if your NAS can either just go on that vlan or be dual-homed (i.e. make another virtual network interface and put it on that vlan). Then you could say that the vlan is able to talk to the internet and your nas but nothing else on your local network.

But yeah it's not supported by a lot of routers, when really they should provide multiple recipes for different use-cases like this.

Network security for anything you put on your home network : obsolete and failed.
I learned, thank you. My router definitely doesn't let me do fancy things like that, but I'm happy enough at least banishing the solar panel inverter that has an unchangeable admin/admin login to the guest network.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Plex is joyfully easy to set up and they released a music streaming app that plays all your mp3s as well.

If I ever do find myself in a situation where I have a TV in need of a media center PC (my very nice 30" monitor currently serves all my TV needs), I'll probably buy an el cheapo SFF refurb off Amazon and slamming plex or kodi on it. Don't even need a fancy remote, an Xbox controller works out of the box and would serve fine.

It's still not the same. There's a certain joy to be had in wrestling with free software still in beta stage at best, questionable hacked plugins and codecs, media files in a rainbow of types and incompatibilities, and slamming your head against an intractable and frustrating wall until one day you make the bastard contraption work like you intend - and the sheer exaltation in finally bending this poo poo to your will.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've recently added a bunch of people to my plex, which is now serving... a whole lot of stuff off my network, and frankly it runs like a dream. I splurged on a 12th gen NUC and using quicksync, it's able to handle most anything I throw at it.

god it's nice being able to get x265 rips. Ridiculously tiny

e. running Ubuntu Server too, headless. I had to reboot it yesterday after months, and I didn't even actually have to reboot it (the problem was proton vpn's UI client sucks, their CLI is just fine though), I just did that since IT guy triage workflow lol

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Jul 31, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HKR posted:

You're not wrong. We've got a pfsense setup with three VLANs (our internal, internet-only/guest, and the latter plus a single opening to the HomeAssistant server) that map to three wifi networks, plus wireguard available from the internet into all three.

How hard was it to set up? Well. You know those jokes about IKEA furniture being a hard test for a relationship? Imagine that, but over a full week.

(On the positive side it has just worked for two years now.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:wotwot:

https://twitter.com/johnevigar/status/1687906043261542405?s=20

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

As predicted (sort of) by Max Headroom. In that future, it was illegal to turn off your TV. Some people are shown throwing a blanket over their set when they wanted some privacy.

Isn't this how the propaganda radios work in Best Korea?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Also known as a shin destroyer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Also known as a shin destroyer.

A tradition proudly continued by the humble tow hitch.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Wasabi the J posted:

shin destroyer

Please, no spoilers for the upcoming Godzilla movie.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT :science:

https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/1688629058853052417?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reverse cornucopia

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A seat for my servant? Preposterous! That seat is for my hat. I do not pay the help to sit. - an extremely British concept

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Only the Universal Food Chopper reduces an entire hog to a paste-like homogenate in 30 minutes.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
A spoonful of slurry will cure what ails you

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Neon Noodle posted:

A spoonful of slurry will cure what ails you

This is just British cuisine.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/higgoville/status/1688928481193918464?s=20

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

A seat for my servant? Preposterous! That seat is for my hat. I do not pay the help to sit. - an extremely British concept

Post how much PTO you get

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Your servants would sit on the pews, which is what they're for.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Wait - what?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Logs used to be hollowed out and used as pipes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume if you wanted to you could pour hot lead down it to line it quite easily.

E: I would assume they would need to be split and then dug out in two halves then tied back together? You'd need a very big drill to do it otherwise. And I don't know if you can burn them hollow at that size.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Aug 8, 2023

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

OwlFancier posted:

I assume if you wanted to you could pour hot lead down it to line it quite easily.

E: I would assume they would need to be split and then dug out in two halves then tied back together? You'd need a very big drill to do it otherwise. And I don't know if you can burn them hollow at that size.

They were drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ciKreulNM

(Sorry about the Bavarian commentary…)

Zopotantor has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Aug 8, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/cedar-pipe-found-beltline-construction-1.4374531

Water pipes could be sealed by swelling and tar.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Personally I keep the wood pipes strictly for bees and wasps.
For waterworks I prefer galvanized steel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

They were drilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ciKreulNM

(Sorry about the Bavarian commentary…)

Ah neat, that makes sense, the drill only need to be that size at the tip and they just withdraw it to clear it, also allows most of it to be soft and flexible.

(bavarian is fine, if I was german I would probably be bavarian)

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Aug 8, 2023

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

“Likely” disconnected years ago

I mean, it’s Boston, let’s not be too hasty in our assumptions here

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Porfiriato posted:

“Likely” disconnected years ago

I mean, it’s Boston, let’s not be too hasty in our assumptions here

To my knowledge, there are still wooden gas lines in NYC. I could be out of date on this, but it's still very plausible.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Lots of them still around in Toronto too.

Every now and then they finally blow out and get replaced, but typically they were installed and forgotten about. If they don't become a problem, they get ignored.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Wooden pipes actually work quite well all things considered, the sediment build up over time becomes the lining (assuming water pipes here). IIRC we have some very large wooden based water pipes in Finland, built quite recently even.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
looks like the big ones still in use are made like a barrel with staves and hoops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03UhJrxF9eE

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbqQeooSVu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5Gfv1Vg00

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

coldpudding posted:

looks like the big ones still in use are made like a barrel with staves and hoops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03UhJrxF9eE

Up until a few years ago, a reservoir/dam near me was still using a wooden system like that to feed water to a small hydro plant. It leaked like a sieve, and in winter, it was just encrusted with ice everywhere. Ran alongside the road for a few miles, looked cool as hell. But they finally replaced it with a buried steel pipe.

Edit: Best I could find was an old Google Street pic, sadly not from winter:

Edit:
Here's another spot where the have pics from before and after the replacement from one of the sections it has to go "above ground" due to, I assume, having to maintain a certain grade for the pipe and also needing access points.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Aug 9, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Completely unrelated to pipetalk, I recently found an old Bell & Howell 1621 Super 8 projector and some reels of film while clearing out my parents crap. The Super 8 projector still had styrofoam in the case to boot. The outside is dusty as all hell from being stored in the garage, but the inside of the case looks brand new. Does anyone know what I should look out for as far as "parts to replace sooner rather than later" on this thing? I can provide photos later if anyone wants to see it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Saw this Imgur post of someone cleaning out their dad's old study:

https://i.imgur.com/koq6t3b.mp4

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Randalor posted:

Completely unrelated to pipetalk, I recently found an old Bell & Howell 1621 Super 8 projector and some reels of film while clearing out my parents crap. The Super 8 projector still had styrofoam in the case to boot. The outside is dusty as all hell from being stored in the garage, but the inside of the case looks brand new. Does anyone know what I should look out for as far as "parts to replace sooner rather than later" on this thing? I can provide photos later if anyone wants to see it.

I have no info to give you, but I’m interested in how you get on with it. I have some super 8 film reels with god knows what I’m them but no projector and I’ve been lazily looking for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Saw this Imgur post of someone cleaning out their dad's old study:

https://i.imgur.com/koq6t3b.mp4

That's close to what I have in my study now. Equally dusty, too.