Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ither posted:

Why do lawyers do TV interviews? Are they trying to influence the future jury or something?

They get paid. 5, sometimes 6 figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I am not a lawyer, but I don't think that's how it works. :thunk:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1689095301267636224?t=HGHmHVqbF3l9GC2NK32-Iw&s=19

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Is there precedent for gag orders on public posts? Why yes, there is:

(It continues, he continued to push it, they added more, eventual appeal of the order, which in this case was not granted.)

It sounds to me like there's a clear precedent. The prosecution may simply not care, may think T posting helps their case, that such posts are "normal for the defendant" hence can no longer taint a potential jury, or they don't want to waste the time and instead are focused on protecting data about the witnesses etc.

This is a good reference. I'll note that the reasons for the appeal not being granted were procedural. The appeals court didn't consider it on the merits.

If Trump hits the point where he is posting photos of Jack Smith or Judge Chutkan with rifle crosshairs, I could see him getting hit with a gag order. We'd have to see what happens in the appeal after that assuming Trump's attorneys don't also make procedural mistakes. My argument is not that it's impossible to meet that bar, but that Trump hasn't met it yet.

It's also potentially relevant that Stone's trial was literally for, among other things, witness intimidation.

But, yes, thank you for finding that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's usually helpful to let the other side post all they want on social media since they generate a ton of hearsay exceptions that can be used to impeach them at trial.

Among the hearsay exceptions that can apply to social media posts are:
Present Sense Impression
Excited Utterance
Then-Existing Mental, Emotional, or Physical Condition
Recorded Recollection

and most importantly for Trump:
Statement Against Interest

So unless they have a pressing need to prevent him from actively harming someone, they will probably want him to keep being the poster-in-chief.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ken Cheesbro wrote a memo about fake electors back in November. Memo just turned up in indictment

https://archive.ph/jg4L4#selection-498.0-540.1

quote:

A lawyer allied with President Donald J. Trump first laid out a plot to use false slates of electors to subvert the 2020 election in a previously unknown internal campaign memo that prosecutors are portraying as a crucial link in how the Trump team’s efforts evolved into a criminal conspiracy.

The existence of the Dec. 6, 2020, memo came to light in last week’s indictment of Mr. Trump, though its details remained unclear. But a copy obtained by The New York Times shows for the first time that the lawyer, Kenneth Chesebro, acknowledged from the start that he was proposing “a bold, controversial strategy” that the Supreme Court “likely” would reject in the end.

But even if the plan did not ultimately pass legal muster at the highest level, Mr. Chesebro argued that it would achieve two goals. It would focus attention on claims of voter fraud and “buy the Trump campaign more time to win litigation that would deprive Biden of electoral votes and/or add to Trump’s column.”

The memo had been a missing link in the public record of how Mr. Trump’s allies developed their strategy to overturn Mr. Biden’s victory. In mid-December, the false Trump electors could go through the motions of voting as if they had the authority to do so. Then, on Jan. 6, 2021, Vice President Mike Pence could unilaterally count those slates of votes, rather than the official and certified ones for Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Ither posted:

Why do lawyers do TV interviews? Are they trying to influence the future jury or something?

Their brainwormed client insists that they "Get out there" and flood the zone with defense. There has been a bunch of reporting on Trump that he has a strong psychological need for surrogates to always be out there on TV (what he watches all day) supporting and affirming him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Does that make no sense to everyone else or was that brownie waaaay stronger than I thought it was.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does that make no sense to everyone else or was that brownie waaaay stronger than I thought it was.

Oh thank God it wasn't just me suffering a stroke partway through that. I... have absolutely no idea what he's trying to say, I'm pretty he just went full on delirious writing that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's a helluva combo. The reasoning appears to go as follows, with potential intentions in [brackets].

a) Because he is indicted, he has unlimited subpoena power. [He's setting up a pretext to reveal materials from shared discovery; this pretext making little sense means that his audience can't really be corrected from believing this].
b) The January 6 committee destroyed all their records. This "has just been reported", meaning he heard about it just now, it has happened after (a) and therefore must have been in response to (a). [forcing a causal relationship, basically pure bread and butter conspiracy thinking. This is the most revealing part of the thought process and also the hardest to parse].
c) It's directly implied that the committee is destroying some sort of exonerating evidence.
d) Therefore, the indictment must be withdrawn. [Reiterating the root demand]
e) (b) is evidence of a general conspiracy against him by an outgroup and the illegitimacy of the proceeding, which was also true of the 2020 election. [Note this reiterates a "true belief" about the election, which might be a part of the point of the statement.]
f) Everything is worse and this is evidence of everything being worse. [Basic ingroup threat signifier; Trump is the Nation. Also pretty much a thought-terminating cliche].

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 9, 2023

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's usually helpful to let the other side post all they want on social media since they generate a ton of hearsay exceptions that can be used to impeach them at trial.

Among the hearsay exceptions that can apply to social media posts are:
Present Sense Impression
Excited Utterance
Then-Existing Mental, Emotional, or Physical Condition
Recorded Recollection

and most importantly for Trump:
Statement Against Interest

So unless they have a pressing need to prevent him from actively harming someone, they will probably want him to keep being the poster-in-chief.

You're mostly right! Hearsay rules are great and, as a lawyer, it's fun to nerd out about hearsay.

Don't need a hearsay exception for a defendant's statements. They're defined as not hearsay. Also hearsay needs to assert something (Timmy testifying "my grandma said the car was blue") and it's not hearsay if it isn't an assertion (Timmy testifying "my grandma asked if we saw the car crash").

Other things that aren't hearsay: statements of a defendant's agents/employees (pool guy texting other idiots "boss told me to empty the pool"), and statements of the defendant's co conspirators (Giuliani telling Fox News "Trump told us to find fake electors so we did").

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 9, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also the Jan 6 committee, whose investigation was likely instrumental in getting DOJ off their asses to bring these indictments, has not “illegal destroyed their Records and Documents”

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yiggy posted:

Their brainwormed client insists that they "Get out there" and flood the zone with defense. There has been a bunch of reporting on Trump that he has a strong psychological need for surrogates to always be out there on TV (what he watches all day) supporting and affirming him.

Yeah, it's in large part this: Trump has always had an intense need for his people to be out there on the news making noise about how great Trump is. It's possibly the single strongest prism through which he comprehends the loyalty, or not, of those around him, and I remember multiple occasions of ructions in the Trump White House revolving around his staff trying to argue that going on Fox to make whatever argument would be counterproductive to actually getting something done, but he would absolutely insist that they go out and make the arguments he demanded.

Secondarily, his legal strategy is basically to win in 2024, and that means making drat sure his base is fired up with the belief that he's being persecuted. Only intensified by the nature of the EC system, because every time a Trump voter thinks the case against him is convincing and decides to stay home, that is one more problem he has to overcome if they're in a swing state.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

innertubes posted:

Chairman Bennie Thompson wrote "Consistent with guidance from the Office of the Clerk and other authorities, the Select Committee did not archive temporary committee records that were not elevated by the Committee's actions, such as use in hearings or official publications, or those that did not further its investigative activities."
Apparently Barry Loudermilk went on (tv) and complained that they only have the public results of the January 6 committee reports, meaning they have to redo any investigations on their own. T likely interprets this as "the 56789 witnesses they interviewed that said I was innocent" being wiped from the record, so he can't run his usual gish gallup in forthcoming trials without discovery and depositions of all such individuals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Boo. We want to see it.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1689270989337636864

Also, Jack Smith is still investigating Trump's PAC for fraud

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/08/jack-smith-donald-trump-pac-00110279

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/AWeissmann_/status/1689015437952950272

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
To be honest I've kindof mentally written off the Cannon trial now that the DC one is the new hotness.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Deteriorata posted:

Ken Cheesbro wrote a memo about fake electors back in November. Memo just turned up in indictment

https://archive.ph/jg4L4#selection-498.0-540.1
"Is you taking notes on a criminal loving conspiracy?!?"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Wow I'm going to need to make wildly different bingo cards for the two DOJ cases. "Cannon goof", "Cannon echos federalist society", "Cannon uses xit as evidence against the prosecution"... Send ideas via PM and I'll see what I can do. (Reminded me of Trump Treason Jury bingo from a while back.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m on mobile and can’t copy-paste around the paywall, but it seems the DoJ secretly got a warrant for Trump’s now defunct Twitter account? https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/09/us/politics/trump-twitter-account-search-warrant.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Not sure what that even means, exactly, but it sure is curious.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m on mobile and can’t copy-paste around the paywall, but it seems the DoJ secretly got a warrant for Trump’s now defunct Twitter account? https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/09/us/politics/trump-twitter-account-search-warrant.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I assume it would give access to direct messages, assuming Trump used that feature.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

It is going to be real rich if Elon manages to get roped into some form of obstruction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Flying Milton posted:

It is going to be real rich if Elon manages to get roped into some form of obstruction.
Oh, Twitter's already been fined $350k for not complying lol

quote:

Twitter’s initial resistance to complying with the warrant resulted in a federal judge holding the company in contempt and levying a $350,000 fine.
At least it was in this other article: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/special-counsel-obtained-search-warrant-for-donald-trumps-twitter-account-00110484

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I assume it would give access to direct messages, assuming Trump used that feature.

Yeah that seems out of character? But also what do I know so…?

Does Twitter have a “save to drafts” function I never cared to learn about or something?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
It does, and they would have that too. But I am of the understanding that Trump borrowed other people's phones to make his tweets so he's less likely to use the DM feature.

Maybe we'll finally learn the story behind covfefe

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

twitter got fined $350k for complying late

three days late

if they'd been a month late, per the order, they'd owe the global GDP in fines, which they didn't do the math on in time to object to

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Even if Trump didn't use DMs, it doesn't mean The Best Geniuses, Just the Best Geniuses, didn't try to send their crime reports to him that way.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah that seems out of character? But also what do I know so…?

Does Twitter have a “save to drafts” function I never cared to learn about or something?

This actually came up in the J6 hearings: https://time.com/6196451/jan-6-hearing-trump-draft-tweet/

quote:

“I will be making a Big Speech at 10 a.m. on January 6th at the Ellipse (South of the White House),” read the draft tweet, which was preserved by the National Archives. “Please arrive early, massive crowds expected. March to the Capitol after. Stop the steal!”

They brought it up when they were talking about whether the J6 events were spontaneous riots or planned insurrection. If he was saving poo poo like that, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other interesting drafts.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mobby_6kl posted:

At least it was in this other article: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/special-counsel-obtained-search-warrant-for-donald-trumps-twitter-account-00110484

Elon laughs at this in comparison to the billions he's already lit on fire.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Vino posted:

It does, and they would have that too. But I am of the understanding that Trump borrowed other people's phones to make his tweets so he's less likely to use the DM feature.

Maybe we'll finally learn the story behind covfefe

Wait he logged onto his own account from other people's phones? Why? So he could claim he didn't write something?

Edit:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Even if Trump didn't use DMs, it doesn't mean The Best Geniuses, Just the Best Geniuses, didn't try to send their crime reports to him that way.

lol if someone texted Trump on Jan 6, "Excellent job, sir! Just the best! You really got them after Pence's blood now, just like you said to me last night that you would! I wish I had your way with people, sir! You said, "I can make them do anything, and I want them to murder Congress,", and wow, off they go to do just that. I feel honored to have heard it from you first, sir. You're the best."

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 9, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ynglaur posted:

Wait he logged onto his own account from other people's phones? Why? So he could claim he didn't write something?

Edit:

lol if someone texted Trump on Jan 6, "Excellent job, sir! Just the best! You really got them after Pence's blood now, just like you said to me last night that you would! I wish I had your way with people, sir! You said, "I can make them do anything, and I want them to murder Congress,", and wow, off they go to do just that. I feel honored to have heard it from you first, sir. You're the best."

He refused to use a secure cell phone for Twitter, so they eventually made him carry around his old phone and a secure phone that couldn't have Twitter installed on it. He got tired of carrying around two phones and would just ask random people to give him their phone so he could log in to Twitter.

He eventually ended up with a special government iPhone that was blocked from installing any new apps, receiving any texts, or making phone calls and was only for Twitter because he refused to use the secure phone or stop using the unsecure phones of other people to log in to Twitter.

quote:

The president uses at least two iPhones, according to one of the officials. The phones — one capable only of making calls, the other equipped only with the Twitter app and preloaded with a handful of news sites — are issued by White House Information Technology and the White House Communications Agency, an office staffed by military personnel that oversees White House telecommunications.

While aides have urged the president to swap out the Twitter phone on a monthly basis, Trump has resisted their entreaties, telling them it was “too inconvenient,” the same administration official said.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/21/trump-phone-security-risk-hackers-601903

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nervous posted:

Elon laughs at this in comparison to the billions he's already lit on fire.

I don't think Elon would have the knowledge or talent remaining to be able to skillfully obstruct that request.

Best case scenario would be him flooding twitters servers with their indoor pool.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

evilweasel posted:

twitter got fined $350k for complying late

three days late

if they'd been a month late, per the order, they'd owe the global GDP in fines, which they didn't do the math on in time to object to

Yeah, $50k fine, doubling each day, payable on each day. So $50k + $100k + $200k. Wowsers.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

smackfu posted:

Yeah, $50k fine, doubling each day, payable on each day. So $50k + $100k + $200k. Wowsers.

Are exponential increases usual there?
Sure 350k is nothing for a company, but that would be excessive quite quickly.
I wish Elon had hold out for a week or two.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think at one point Alex Jones got hit with one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:argh:

I remember Alex Jones having a similar fine if I'm not mistaken. No idea how often it's given.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's rare but used when courts are annoyed with someone who has a lot of money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

exponential increases are highly unusual, and the appeals court commented that they're highly unusual, before saying they were fine here because (a) twitter was worth $44b (lol, and also a veiled reference to musk being an obstinate wierdo idiot whose arm needs to be vigorously twisted to follow the law); and (b) twitter didn't think to object to it

usually, it is a flat per-day fine, and if the target starts paying it instead of complying it's manually increased until the court gets annoyed and puts the target in jail

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol he really wants all those documents back at Mar-A-Lago for reasons

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1689358705240776704?t=QrZXPVSWNE9unb714cEbaQ&s=19

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1689358705240776704?t=QrZXPVSWNE9unb714cEbaQ&s=19

Maybe he's worried about the Saudis chopping someone up. Say, someone who received several billion dollars recently, but who may not have the goods promised by dear ol' dad-in-law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

cr0y posted:

That's what the bathroom is for right?