Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Buying spices online is how I am into politics.

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but we try our best anyways, because the alternative is giving money to shitheads that they can use to continue being shitheads.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm infatuated by the Sage Control Freak (I think also sold under the PolyScience name). One came up for sale, used, recently, and I think the seller might be ripe for an offer.

It's also my understanding that the product is discontinued, and if the breaks, I'm probably SOL.

What's the current status on similar products? It's correct that it'll work with any induction-compatible cookware, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bolind posted:

I'm infatuated by the Sage Control Freak (I think also sold under the PolyScience name). One came up for sale, used, recently, and I think the seller might be ripe for an offer.

It's also my understanding that the product is discontinued, and if the breaks, I'm probably SOL.

What's the current status on similar products? It's correct that it'll work with any induction-compatible cookware, right?
Where have you heard that it's discontinued? The US version, under the Breville brand, is still available.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SubG posted:

Where have you heard that it's discontinued? The US version, under the Breville brand, is still available.

Ah, true, it was just that all the local webshops I checked were out of stock.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been dissatisfied with our Panasonic inverter microwave since I bought it, seems to provide really inconsistent results. Been thinking hard about replacing it with a Breville convection toaster oven, but since I don't really have the space for both that would mean going microwave free. Any tips on making that transition?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

what do you use the microwave for now? I haven't had one for like ~20 years. I think the only thing it is truly necessary for is frozen burritos

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Clark Nova posted:

what do you use the microwave for now? I haven't had one for like ~20 years. I think the only thing it is truly necessary for is frozen burritos

The microwave is great at softening butter from the freezer, and reheating leftover rice.

That’s all that I can remember using mine for in recent history.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every time I microwave butter, one pocket will explode into butter napalm in ten seconds and the rest will be frozen

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You gotta lower the power level. Power level 1 for like 3 minutes is a nice soft stick, power level 2 for about 90 seconds will have mostly soft, with the ends a little too soft and the center pretty solid.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, 95% of what we used it for is reheating leftovers (usually in plastic containers at that). Might just be a matter of trial and error and switching to pyrex for leftovers storage.

mystes
May 31, 2006

microwaves are mostly just good for reheating stuff but they're really good for that

even though they take up a lot of space I can't see not wanting one unless you only ever cook one portion at a time

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 9, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our usage is 90% reheating leftovers, 8% making a quick cheese quesadilla for the kid, 2% popcorn.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I accidentally stopped having a microwave four years ago. I decided to not replace it for a while to see what it was like living without and it has been fine. I'm childless and my household consists of me and my partner.

You end up reheating food in a pan or (toaster) oven. You pop popcorn in a pot.

If you're nervous about it, just pretend your microwave is broken and force yourself to not use it for some period of time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've been without a microwave for a decade now, and don't really miss it.

mystes posted:

microwaves are mostly just good for reheating stuff but they're really good for that

even though they take up a lot of space I can't see not wanting one unless you only ever cook one portion at a time

But I've also lived alone for that decade, so this is pretty accurate.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I live alone and I have zero interest in not having a microwave. My #1 use is steaming vegetables, #2 reheating leftovers, #3 popcorn. Is it necessary? No, but neither is having more than one knife, right?

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Anne Whateley posted:

I live alone and I have zero interest in not having a microwave. My #1 use is steaming vegetables, #2 reheating leftovers, #3 popcorn. Is it necessary? No, but neither is having more than one knife, right?

You should really make popcorn in a pot. Not only does it taste better, those microwave bags contain a lot of bad stuff. It’s also easy and quick.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

DIY microwave bag is the best, hands down, for speed and evenness. Pour it into a bowl to serve though, since the brown paper bags soak up the butter.

And eat it with a serving spoon to keep your hands clean. Chop sticks are cute but way too slow.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Air popping is neat because you never get burned kernels but it also tastes like nothing.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If you like movie theatre style this is the recipe I’ve perfected over hundreds of batches:

1/4 cup coconut oil (orange tinted with beta carotene for bonus points)
A heaping teaspoon of Flavacol
6oz P-corn

In a large sauté pad with domed lid heat over highest gas flame you have, agitating constantly. When the first kernel pops crack the lid a tiny amount to release steam, keep high flame until popping stops. Much harder with electric so you’ll have to play with it but this method produces perfect pops every time with no burning and minimal old maids.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 10, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We've got a Stir Crazy popper that works pretty dang well. Seems more or less identical to the one my folks had in the 80s.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

You should really make popcorn in a pot. Not only does it taste better, those microwave bags contain a lot of bad stuff. It’s also easy and quick.
1) I didn’t mention bags, 2) a bag a week is very far from popcorn lung territory, 3) I love smoked meats so that ship has sailed, 4) while popcorn in a pot is doable, I’m not always stoked to shake a pot for 10 minutes when I just want a lil snack.

Tbh though I have to revise my order. My #3 microwave use is prep, like toasting rice for a pilaf or softening onions for…everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

The main bad stuff in some microwave popcorn is the fake butter chemical and that's more of an issue for people who work at factories making it but since that fake butter poo poo is second only to truffle oil in being loving disgusting anyway, if you want to buy those microwave popcorn packs just buy a variety without it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This is the closest thing I've found to an appliance thread. What's a good gas dryer and washer, preferably whirlpool and subsidiaries for a discount.

I think power per cycle is hitting regulations soon so I imagine older or lower tier models?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Strongly recommend not washing your produce in a washing machine. There are a bunch of home threads, the whole DIY forum has a plumbing thread, any of those are a better fit for washers and dryers

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This is the closest thing I've found to an appliance thread. What's a good gas dryer and washer, preferably whirlpool and subsidiaries for a discount.

I think power per cycle is hitting regulations soon so I imagine older or lower tier models?

You want this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=511&perpage=40

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Popcorn chat: I've had one of these for several years and it works so well that I can't believe it wasn't the second patent filed after that of the original microwave.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Might be relevant to parents: apparently silicone makes food taste bad?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7262606334342728962

Comments say they absorb soap and food odors and you need to boil them every now and then

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Relevant to everyone imo. Silicone is only tolerable to me if it’s always handwashed. Silicone that’s been through the dishwasher not only tastes like soap, it also makes everything else taste like soap to me. Stir scrambled eggs with your silicone spatula? That’s scrambled soap now

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I tried reuseable silicone cupcake wrappers once, absolutely inedible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ihop posted:

Popcorn chat: I've had one of these for several years and it works so well that I can't believe it wasn't the second patent filed after that of the original microwave.

Is this better than the glass ones?

Ecolution Patented Micro-Pop Microwave Popcorn Popper with Temperature Safe Glass, 3-in-1 Lid Measures Kernels and Melts Butter, Made Without BPA, Dishwasher Safe, 1.5-Quart, Red https://a.co/d/1emjm74

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Relevant to everyone imo. Silicone is only tolerable to me if it’s always handwashed. Silicone that’s been through the dishwasher not only tastes like soap, it also makes everything else taste like soap to me. Stir scrambled eggs with your silicone spatula? That’s scrambled soap now

there's a protip I've read and not tried, bake the silicone in the oven to sanatize oders. Hope the handles are oven proof!

mystes
May 31, 2006

silicone definitely absorb flavors like crazy but for some stuff like when you're using nonstick pans I don't think there's really any alternative so I mostly just hope the scents don't transfer into the food too much

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mystes posted:

silicone definitely absorb flavors like crazy but for some stuff like when you're using nonstick pans I don't think there's really any alternative so I mostly just hope the scents don't transfer into the food too much

Wood?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's not as bad as metal but isn't it still not ideal for teflon?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm glad I've never run any of my silicone poo poo through the dishwasher :barf: I did run into the flavor retention thing when my girlfriend used a silicone ice cube tray to make little peanut butter popsicle things for the dogs

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mystes posted:

It's not as bad as metal but isn't it still not ideal for teflon?

Wood on teflon is fine

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I used my pair of 8oz chef press yesterday to cook some dry brined salmon. It worked well to get some crispy skin, but I did think a heavier press might have achieved even better results. I totally get why people might want the $150 fish press I posted a page or two ago.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Teflon pans were around for like 50 years before silicone kitchenware. Wood is fine, regular plastic is fine. Or I just use silicone but handwash

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Not sure if anyone is in the market for an apron, but I got an email from Hedley & Bennett about their Mystery Box apron sale. I've been really happy with the apron I got from them, and I'm also a sucker for a good surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I am one of the people that can really taste soap/flavor residue on silicone cookware and I found adding "Detergent Booster" (citric acid) to my wash cycles eliminated the issue. Also helped quite a bit with silverware coming out a bit dull.