Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Word? I thought there was no serial on iOS. Or maybe that's for the phones.
Edit: I'm using headless and m8.run says it can't do serial on the iPad mini 6.
Edit 2: so yeah proably works for MIDI but not headless?

The full unit is class compliant so it shows up as a midi device on pretty much everything. It even does audio over usb (can route from iPad to M8 or M8 to iPad).

I know it can be done with headless but it needs some manual work, you can't plug the teensy straight into the iPad. Plug the teensy into your desktop and direct the midi port to the iPad. I did it with an Anbernic handheld and it was fairly easy with Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

sirs and madams and others -- the site is now called gearspace :colbert:

I told sweetwater to go ahead and put me on the pro mini list, at 1015 am they said they showed an order expected ETA in oct and then within 30 mins they said "oops now it says January, I've never seen that happen before".

Whatever, they don't charge until they actually ship and I'm going to spend like, 50 times that much money on nonsense gear and possibly a nice saxophone in that time, if life goes well :rolleye:

I did this as well after seeing this just because I can always take myself off, and sweetwater must love behringer because the sales guy spent most of the time trying to upsell me on something that actually exists

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Xpost from the DJ Thread:

I cannot WAIT to try out these puppies. Got the Force at an absolute steal of a price - basically half off, because the SD card slot isn't working (but if the part comes in while it's still under warranty they'll honour the repair), plus my staff discount.

I also ordered a dub siren. Really gonna push myself to create something live instead of DJing, so stay tuned.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
After a couple weeks of owning it, I gotta say despite feeling a bit like a toy, the Roland T8 is a lot of fun.

There's a fair amount of learning/memorisation to get the most out of it as it is pretty menu heavy, but most of the useful things are a shortcut away and whilst it's a bit of a balancing act the onboard overdrive can get very nosebleedy which is always good

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I have all the tiny rolands. They're my favorite line of tiny synth by far because they have awesome connectivity and built in effects. I have the T-8 and S-1 in my backpack and take them out whenever I'm away from home and have downtime.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
distracted boyfriend: me
angry girlfriend: my eurorack, specifically the blanks that have a specific plan for them
the thing that's turning my head: Tenor saxophones, specifically Yamahas of various kinds

this was bad enough when I was just chasing cow farts, now I'm widening my guitars-I-can't-really-play arsenal and taking woodwinds back up?

gently caress, I wish I had another 20k in magic cards to firesale to Pepper Crab on sa-mart :allears:

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I might have jumped the gun, I was looking at the M8 as a toy I want and saw an hour old listing on reverb for 460€ shipped. I just clicked until it said sold.
Goon friends, reassure me please

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ledenko posted:

I might have jumped the gun, I was looking at the M8 as a toy I want and saw an hour old listing on reverb for 460€ shipped. I just clicked until it said sold.
Goon friends, reassure me please

I love my M8 headless. The updates with new features keep coming. It’s tons of fun especially once you get some tricks for workflow set up (stuff like empty patterns and kill patterns). I’ve made 2 (or maybe 3?) finished tracks with mine despite having no idea what I’m doing.

There’s a community starter pack available which has example songs and other stuff which you might find useful.

https://archive.org/download/ChipmusicResources/M8_Community_SD-card_Starter_Pack.7z

It isn’t too hard to get your own instruments or samples set up anyway. There’s something about the interface that just feels super nice to me and gets me thinking about what I’m making in a different way.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks, the reason I was interested in it in the first place was because of the reasons you listed and this thread. It just seems to be really cheap compared to other listings and I hope I didn't buy a box of ants.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The M8 is just about the best sequencer out there. Not because it's a tracker, but the button interface makes entering information so dang comfortable. Only a full size keyboard is better and that would take up an entire desk.

It also comes with some really good synths, so I guess that's a nice bonus.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
nerdseq in rack vs m8 out of rack :thunk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on my puttering with driving VCV with M8, it's absolutely worth considering.

nerdseq is awesome too and means you won't have to fuss with midi to cv conversion. So there's upsides to both.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-we-are-a-not-for-profit-org-as-all-our-earnings-are-reinvested

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Uh oh, they're about to get busted for something, likely tax evasion.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Uh oh, they're about to get busted for something, likely tax evasion.

ship the mini vs first dammit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They make it sound like not sending review gear to anyone gives them moral high ground when we all know that all reviews would have some deal breaking negative or fixate on how egregiously they copied someone else's synth.

They're just hoping to have less negativity out there so people buy their stuff blind.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

They make it sound like not sending review gear to anyone gives them moral high ground when we all know that all reviews would have some deal breaking negative or fixate on how egregiously they copied someone else's synth.

They're just hoping to have less negativity out there so people buy their stuff blind.

I think the explanation is bullshit and the "non profit" line is laughable, but I'm a little curious what the actual plot here is, because I don't think it's hoping that their stuff isn't going to be reviewed, obviously it will be, and stuff that's genuinely good and not annoying (glancing at bArp) is usually at least fairly well received despite the brand. Modwiggler people hate Brains and Abacus a lot more than bArp.

Seems like a very weird stance to take; I've seen plenty of reviews that were at least somewhat negative with a disclaimer that the gear was free. Hell, I wrote a review of Doom III when it came out (dating myself here) from a copy that was sent to us to review by iD, and when I gave it a 3/5 they actually emailed us to say "what the gently caress why did you give our AAA game 3/5?" and we were like "lol read the review, you just did a Monster Closets game in ~2004".

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I think the explanation is bullshit and the "non profit" line is laughable, but I'm a little curious what the actual plot here is

"not-for-profit," not "nonprofit."

"At Behringer we pay zero dividends to shareholders and we reinvest all our earnings,"

so long as uli and the executives take an agreed upon salary instead of a percentage of earnings then i think it's fair terminology as far as describing a business goes.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

we all know that all reviews would have some deal breaking negative or fixate on how egregiously they copied someone else's synth.

Lol wtf

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I can understand them wanting to avoid having reviews that just focus on comparing the thing to whatever they copied instead of focusing on whether this product is something that you can use to make good music.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

xzzy posted:

lol what

what

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Behringer's whole MO is to copy other synths new and old with some quality of life updates, so it's kinda nuts for them to get angry with comparisons, if that is indeed the heart of the issue.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I think he just misses the Keyboard and Sound on Sound days as being the totality of the font of public opinions. I'm sure it's frustrating to have to hear some schmuck on some new social you've never even heard of is killing your otherwise manicured buzz. Also: lol, lmao.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure my post was some dumb fiction but Uli is a garbage businessman that deserves no charity. I accept that nothing he does is illegal but it's all unethical.

If his company is trying to build up their public image there's almost certainly a slimy reason for doing it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

xzzy posted:

Sure my post was some dumb fiction but Uli is a garbage businessman that deserves no charity. I accept that nothing he does is illegal but it's all unethical.

If his company is trying to build up their public image there's almost certainly a slimy reason for doing it.

*kramers into thread*
There's no ethical consumption under capitalism Jerry!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

xzzy posted:

I honestly think he got caught not paying taxes for the past 20 years, so now he’s all, “WE’RE A NOT-FOR-PROFIT COMPANY, THAT MEANS WE HAVE NO PROFITS TO TAX!!! :byodood:

Seems very Ulli.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Behringer's whole MO is to copy other synths new and old with some quality of life updates, so it's kinda nuts for them to get angry with comparisons, if that is indeed the heart of the issue.

I do not at all think that's what's going on here. Hell, some of the bArp / kArp comparison videos were exactly what made me decide that my non-professional-musician rear end would have a very hard time justifying the kArp when the bArp exists.

Looking at this dumb thing in context:

* Behr gets some bad press around that dumb cork-sniffing tweet, which I thought was silly rich-people-slapfighting but also making fun of rich people and not antisemitic, give me a loving break, so we already had the stage set for some real dumb poo poo
* Behr seemingly ignites this by responding to a user asking about Toro reviews, and in their response, explicitly calling Loopop out as someone who "won't review our gear because we don't send them free stuff anymore"
* Loopop responds with a statement to the effect that actually Behr has given them free stuff in the past, and also ups the aggression in the dialog substantially. (But what do you loving expect; if I were a content creator called out by a major corp over dumb BS in a bad-PR way on their side, I would probably double the gently caress down too, because it's all about the clicks -- for BOTH Behr and Loopop.
* Behr pulls their FB reply directly mentioning Loopop and lets the rest of the text stand, indicating Toro is their 5th best selling product and therefore cannot be called a "flop" in the market sense
* Behr clarifies that they no longer pay for reviews or provide free gear; they do so in a statement which is clearly crafted to indicate that they don't think "influencers" matter one way or another to their fundamentals and also throws a bunch of shade back

So, that's where we are, I think? Just a dumb pissing contest between a huge corp and a synthfluencer, both of whom stand to gain tremendously from any free publicity they continue to get?

All of these things track. Also, I think Behr's statement that they basically are not making synths with "synthfluencer content consumers" in mind is completely accurate - they are indeed just trying to sell as much poo poo, to as many people as possible, for whatever the cheapest they can fabricate for a dime and sell for a quarter is. They are not going after people who painstakingly watch videos about 20 different VCAs to pick the one they're going to order. They are going after people who walk into a store, or amazon.com, search "synthesizer" and slam enter. They are not opposed to selling stuff to people like me who consume synthfluencer content but then just quietly try to buy all 20 VCAs I watched reviews of.

:shrug: It seems completely stupid and predictable and I can't believe I just wrote a novella.

I think Behr knew exactly what they were doing when the behr poked the bear, as it were. All this poo poo keeps their name on the top of the synth news pile while I desperately look for any Setonix coverage at all.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I do not at all think that's what's going on here. Hell, some of the bArp / kArp comparison videos were exactly what made me decide that my non-professional-musician rear end would have a very hard time justifying the kArp when the bArp exists.

Looking at this dumb thing in context:

* Behr gets some bad press around that dumb cork-sniffing tweet, which I thought was silly rich-people-slapfighting but also making fun of rich people and not antisemitic, give me a loving break, so we already had the stage set for some real dumb poo poo
* Behr seemingly ignites this by responding to a user asking about Toro reviews, and in their response, explicitly calling Loopop out as someone who "won't review our gear because we don't send them free stuff anymore"
* Loopop responds with a statement to the effect that actually Behr has given them free stuff in the past, and also ups the aggression in the dialog substantially. (But what do you loving expect; if I were a content creator called out by a major corp over dumb BS in a bad-PR way on their side, I would probably double the gently caress down too, because it's all about the clicks -- for BOTH Behr and Loopop.
* Behr pulls their FB reply directly mentioning Loopop and lets the rest of the text stand, indicating Toro is their 5th best selling product and therefore cannot be called a "flop" in the market sense
* Behr clarifies that they no longer pay for reviews or provide free gear; they do so in a statement which is clearly crafted to indicate that they don't think "influencers" matter one way or another to their fundamentals and also throws a bunch of shade back

So, that's where we are, I think? Just a dumb pissing contest between a huge corp and a synthfluencer, both of whom stand to gain tremendously from any free publicity they continue to get?

All of these things track. Also, I think Behr's statement that they basically are not making synths with "synthfluencer content consumers" in mind is completely accurate - they are indeed just trying to sell as much poo poo, to as many people as possible, for whatever the cheapest they can fabricate for a dime and sell for a quarter is. They are not going after people who painstakingly watch videos about 20 different VCAs to pick the one they're going to order. They are going after people who walk into a store, or amazon.com, search "synthesizer" and slam enter. They are not opposed to selling stuff to people like me who consume synthfluencer content but then just quietly try to buy all 20 VCAs I watched reviews of.

:shrug: It seems completely stupid and predictable and I can't believe I just wrote a novella.

I think Behr knew exactly what they were doing when the behr poked the bear, as it were. All this poo poo keeps their name on the top of the synth news pile while I desperately look for any Setonix coverage at all.

I think this is mostly accurate except they are also selling to people who painstakingly watch videos about 20 different VCAs, since they went through the trouble of reverse engineering and reproducing the Roland BA662 Op Amp, core of all the vintage Roland gear, specifically to put into the Mk2 versions of their Roland repros to make them sound frankly dead on accurate. Like the real issue here is that at the core of it Behringer is producing crazy good reproductions of vintage gear. The 2500 modules, the Roland System 100 modules, the Moog System 55 stuff, the Minimoog repro, almost all their Roland clones (for some reason they screwed up the 101 but the Mk2 might fix that), the 2600, etc etc. They all sound real loving good, and most importantly, real loving close to the original. Literally the ONLY issue is second hand embarrassment from Uli opening his mouth.

toadee fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 10, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

toadee posted:

I think this is mostly accurate except they are also selling to people who painstakingly watch videos about 20 different VCAs, since they went through the trouble of reverse engineering and reproducing the Roland BA662 Op Amp, core of all the vintage Roland gear, specifically to put into the Mk2 versions of their Roland repros to make them sound frankly dead on accurate. Like the real issue here is that at the core of it Behringer is producing crazy good reproductions of vintage gear. The 2500 modules, the Roland System 100 modules, the Moog System 55 stuff, the Minimoog repro, almost all their Roland clones (for some reason they screwed up the 101 but the Mk2 might fix that), the 2600, etc etc. They all sound real loving good, and most importantly, real loving close to the original. Literally the ONLY issue is second hand embarrassment from Uli opening his mouth.

It's also worth noting that they have been known to invest significant R&D into pretty weird things. For instance, if this loving thing ever sees the light of day, I don't know how I could not buy one https://musictech.com/news/behringer-announces-update-for-polykobol-synth/

I'm sure there's a good number of original ARP2600s in playable condition floating around. There's 20 of these. Out of an original 40. Madness.

Maybe Uli can start a fight with NIN by making a Bwarmatron :allears:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

It's also worth noting that they have been known to invest significant R&D into pretty weird things. For instance, if this loving thing ever sees the light of day, I don't know how I could not buy one https://musictech.com/news/behringer-announces-update-for-polykobol-synth/

I own the Black Corporation version of this (the Kijimi), and the funny thing is the $4000 boutique sounds great but is a temperamental piece of poo poo at times as well. Had to disassemble it and send back my main board to Japan for repair, but it still randomly does dumb poo poo like stop responding to MIDI, or single voice cards going wildly out of tune with no warning, which is fixed just turning it off and back on. I would be willing to bet the Behringer version will be a lot more stable.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not the worst day to mention I just bought a Crave. Haven't set it up yet.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't have any Behringer synths but I've got a handful of their pedals; the Hyperfuzz knock-off SF300, and a reverb and a digital delay.
The latter two I bought explicitly to use when messing around with my Microfreak when it's not hooked up to my PC as it sounds so dry and for about £20 each I can't complain at all.
Would I have them on my guitar pedalboard? At home sure, but I wouldn't trust the plastic housings for gigging really.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Would I have them on my guitar pedalboard? At home sure, but I wouldn't trust the plastic housings for gigging really.

That makes sense, but also when talking about the vintage clones, most of the time even below average modern construction is just miles ahead in terms of reliability.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NonzeroCircle posted:

I don't have any Behringer synths but I've got a handful of their pedals; the Hyperfuzz knock-off SF300, and a reverb and a digital delay.
The latter two I bought explicitly to use when messing around with my Microfreak when it's not hooked up to my PC as it sounds so dry and for about £20 each I can't complain at all.

Behringer make “quality” pedals with metal housings and whatnot too, they’re just sold under the TC Electronic label

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

petit choux posted:

Not the worst day to mention I just bought a Crave. Haven't set it up yet.

crave owns, i use it for acid

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

crave owns, i use it for acid

You have motivated me to get a T-8 (still pending, been spending too much lately.) I also got a S-1 and haven't been using it properly yet, been rearranging my workspace. But I sold my pocket operators and got a T-8 a couple weeks ago. It's fricking dreamy. ED: but I have always had a thing for mini synths and I think these will get me where the pocket operators fell short.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I barely use my Wogglebug. Am I not random enough?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

net work error posted:

I barely use my Wogglebug. Am I not random enough?

I'm not smart enough to make good sounding truly chaotic patches, and I find wogglebug the most complex (and powerful) of the random CV sources I have (turing, chaos diode, psychedelic voltage processor). Really RTFM sometime is on my list of things to do, because I've had fun running stuff from woggle into other MN things (QPAS and mimi, mostly), and it's definitely more controllable and tunable by far than the other modules which basically do the thing they do with one knob or so.

I'm not, and probably never will be, a performing artist, but I think the suitability of Behr stuff for that is all over the map, skewed towards "no" but with some significant exceptions. The bArp feels as rugged as anything else in my racks, and the housing seems as solid as anything. I think I've seen them on stage in a video or two here and there; of course bands with more money might go for Korg, or, at that point, an actual ARP since they're still pretty gettable for 2-3x what the Korgs cost if your road crew can own the maintenance, I guess.

Whatever their 808 clone is has a garbage rep for feeling like cheap disposable garbage, and their eurorack (no relation) series of mixers are universally noisy bullshit that I didn't even find that usable right out of high school as a mixing console for PCs and stuff. I haven't let any of their eurorack modules (no relation) defile my racks yet but I do have a 4LFO on preorder, and I'll continue to stare and that and think about Batumi at 4x the cost until either one thing or the other happens.

I didn't mind vomiting money on eurorack when I wasn't real worried about where my allowance was going, but now I've got an itch to own a tenor sax and goddamn, that's gonna be like 10 modules I didn't buy.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Whatever their 808 clone is has a garbage rep for feeling like cheap disposable garbage

Ever handled any original Roland x0x machines? They were all very cheaply made and extremely fragile. People who tour with them are on very good terms with their synth repairperson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

toadee posted:

Ever handled any original Roland x0x machines? They were all very cheaply made and extremely fragile. People who tour with them are on very good terms with their synth repairperson.

Only once -- at a 2600 meeting in 2002, someone had a briefcase with an actual 606 and 808 mounted in it. At the time it was just WOW COOL ELECTRONIC STUFF MAN.

I feel like touring with an original x0x at this point is definitely trying to send a message of some kind, since extremely good clones of all sorts exist at every price point.