Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cessna posted:

I can only assume the cat threw up the chestburster onto a rug like a hairball.

The dumbest part of it was it still had marks on the fur of its face where the facehugger...well, hugged the cat's face. Like, it's fur, the cat would have cleaned itself up and smoothed its fur back out (after yakking the chestburster up first, like you said).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I don’t even have a cat.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
None of us do.

Yet they still find a way for us to feed them, clean up after them, and give them scratches and pats.

Who has domesticated who I ask you.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Last Call posted:

None of us do.

Yet they still find a way for us to feed them, clean up after them, and give them scratches and pats.

Who has domesticated who I ask you.

We notice this because we can put ourselves in the mind of a cat.

They want, generally, what we want. Food, water, shelter, and a safe place to have offspring. They also want, generally, things that we like to have. It's not just pure survival, it's getting out of the house and doing poo poo. You know, to feel like you're human, or cat. Self-care, mental maintenance, whatever. Even confirmed inside cats, de-sexed, have an urge to look outside of themselves and their dens. Staring out that window at birds and small rodents, knowing that it's important to interact with them, but not knowing how it's supposed to work.

It's not just cats. Most of our domesticated animals are aware enough of their own selves, each other, and us, to have a desire for relexation, fun, and relationships outside of the purely transactional. Feel free to make friends with a cow, goat (our oldest friends), sheep, dog (obviously), domesticated rodent, or small weasel. They make friends with each other, after all.

In all of our cases, we can get comfy enough to turn that into something unintentionally destructive to our own needs. Cats kill millions of birds per year, dogs pollute grazing land with their poo poo, our meat and dairy animals gently caress the land up just as well roaming free as being confined. Humans! Well, we can kill an entire planet.

The Alien falls outside of that. It's purely destructive. No amount of training or manipulation will change that. They are more like us and very much less like "our" animals. There is no mercy to their actions. No planning, but to consume and dominate. We found our match in them. Everything we strive for makes us the perfect prey.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ash picked the wrong organism to admire, Jonesy was always right there :colbert:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
You have to admire its purrity

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gnome de plume posted:

:haw:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn purrcentage.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

(cat laying on the floor, looking like it wants its tummy scritched, a trap just waiting to be sprung)

I can't lie to you about your chances, but...you have my sympathies. :v:

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Gnome de plume posted:

:yeshaha:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

User name/post, content, thread title, :perfect:.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Our little fucker (Jeff, the Cat) got us in trouble today by dragging a loving tarantula he found somewhere outside into the laundry room. Great-grandma smooshed the thing and admonished the whole house for not keeping the garage door closed.

Do you want aliens? 'Cause that's how you get aliens!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(cat laying on the floor, looking like it wants its tummy scritched, a trap just waiting to be sprung)

I can't lie to you about your chances, but...you have my sympathies. :v:

Now I really want to see an edited scene of Kane looking into the egg and seeing a cat laying on its back, belly exposed, before the rest of the scene plays out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Our newest kitty (we got her a year ago when she was a kitten) is all black, kinda long and lean, and has no problem jumping out at me from dark corners or grabbing at me unexpectedly when I walk by. We called her Smoky because her tail is like a plume of black smoke, but I wonder sometimes if Xeno might not have been a better choice. :v:

E: here she is, no doubt getting ready to ambush some poor sap the moment the door's opened.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, it's an Instagram link. Click it anyway (it's OwlKitty)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHBzzevp_SG/?hl=en

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

E: here she is, no doubt getting ready to ambush some poor sap the moment the door's opened.

I would be happy to sit still and appear calm until Xeno Smoky decided to approach, and attempt very carefully to pet them

It would be worth the pain

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I would be happy to sit still and appear calm until Xeno Smoky decided to approach, and attempt very carefully to pet them

It would be worth the pain

When she was still tiny, she would burst out of crawl up on my chest and nap while I was collating with MOTHER sitting at my computer desk and surfing the web.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

MrMojok posted:

bonus for including Spaceballs footage (pretty sure I saw that before I saw Alien)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well why don't you put her in charge?!?!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Hmmm, I seem to have clicked on the Cursed thread by mistake.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrMojok posted:

:lol:

I've posted this here I'm sure but it's my favorite. I believe a goon made it.

https://i.imgur.com/0CP77Hs.mp4

Ash at the end... :allears:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Aliens adjacent, but today I learnt that the voice of the Predator in the 1987 movie was done by Peter Cullen.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How did the Xenos find the drop ship?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

redshirt posted:

How did the Xenos find the drop ship?

It would stand to reason though a lot of them went dormant, they probably send out near constant patrols to look for stragglers or newcomers to host more and grow the hive. From there a patrol just found them however aliens find things. Heat, vibrations, some kind of electromagetic sense, psychic powers, take your pick.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just some random xeno out for a nice stroll ah what's this ship doing here…?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

It would stand to reason though a lot of them went dormant, they probably send out near constant patrols to look for stragglers or newcomers to host more and grow the hive. From there a patrol just found them however aliens find things. Heat, vibrations, some kind of electromagetic sense, psychic powers, take your pick.

"Ant Powers"

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Fall Dog posted:

Aliens adjacent, but today I learnt that the voice of the Predator in the 1987 movie was done by Peter Cullen.

Predators are cannon in the Transformers universe now

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I just finished up Dark Descent and would like to share my thoughts and see what other people think.

I’ve played a lot of Alien games, in fact I would say the franchise is pretty much intertwined with my history of games as a hobby. Our first ever games console, a Playstation, came with a copy of Alien Trilogy, and as dated as those sprites were in 1999 it was honestly an amazing experience which I think still holds up even today. Of course my parents just had to let me watch the films, using their videotaped-off-the-tv-VHS-copies-which-in-the-case-of-Aliens-had-all-instances-of-the-word-“gently caress”-dubbed-over.

I remember sitting in the waiting room of a London hospital while my mum was being seen to pouring over a huge magazine feature of the upcoming Alien Resurrection game. Which of course I got and while it is definitely a technical marvel for the hardware, anyone who can finish this game without cheating is some kind of superhuman. When we got our first decent family computer, for Christmas that year my parents got me the brand new Aliens Versus Predator 2, which blew my 14 year old mind and even led to my first foray into online multiplayer and internet forums. Of course I had to get the also critically acclaimed Aliens Versus Predator Gold Edition, as for every person agreeing how great AvP2 was there was another saying the original was better.

Aliens Versus Predator (2010) was the first one I bought with my own money as an adult, and while I still feel it was a good game it was definitely a disappointment when compared to the hype I’d built in my mind over the prior 9 years from AvP2. I was still a young adult at the time, and not as cynical and distrusting as I would become later, but worry not, the next game would see to that. Naturally I was as crushed and disappointed with Aliens Colonial Marines just as much as I expect everyone else in this thread. I was able to extract some enjoyment out of it and ultimately did not seek a refund, but I have only ever preordered one game since as a result, namely Resident Evil 2 (2019).

Alien Isolation is of course a masterpiece, one of the best games of the 2010s, and one of the best horror games ever made in my opinion, and one I have replayed numerous times on various platforms.

So now you know what I’ve played and my general view of previous games in the franchise, I’m going to say that Aliens Dark Descent is really loving good. If you like tactical games like XCOM, you should play Dark Descent. If you like Alien games, you should play Dark Descent. If you like stuff like XCOM and Alien games, you should definitely play Dark Descent.

It has modest system requirements, and I was able to play with a mixture of low to medium settings at 1080p maintaining around 50fps, which in some areas did drop to below 30. My machine is a few weeks shy of 10 years old with an i5 4670K, 16GB of RAM and an 8GB GTX 1070. My CPU is very much the bottleneck these days so if you have better than that you’ll be fine.

The game looks gorgeous; yes some of the models could look a tad better when zoomed right in, but I’m not running this anywhere close to maximum settings and am mostly zoomed right out anyway. The music and art direction is on point and absolutely nails the Aliens aesthetic; some screenshots from various points early in the campaign illustrate how it looks on my machine.

Something else that I should point out as well – in a lot of the promotional material the Pulse Rifles and Smartguns do not have their distinctive gunfire sounds. This does not apply to the actual game – they sound exactly like you would expect them to.

This isn’t a turn based game like XCOM or a tile based game like Warhammer 40,000 Mechanicus; it instead plays very much like Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War 2 or Company of Heroes. Theres a surprising amount of stealth to be had, as unless you kill a xeno very quickly or silently any engagement alerts the hive and starts a timer off which gradually increases the rate and intensity of xenomorph encounters. The good news is the mission areas are enormous with lots of places to explore and stuff to pinch, and you can withdraw your squad and go in again with a fresh crew. In fact this is encouraged by the game as this resets the hive aggressiveness counter.

There is a death clock in the game that starts around halfway through the campaign, but playing on normal I felt its bark is worse than its bite; I finished the game with 8 days left and had I pushed on a bit I probably could have finished with 11 days. The game now allows you to disable it entirely, but I personally felt it was fine – I cannot however comment on higher difficulties.

You can fully customise any individual marine and the traits and upgrades they get, along with trauma and injuries gives them a great deal of personality. While you absolutely need at least an A and B team, you will end up with your star players. Stress is almost as big an enemy as the xenos themselves, but this can be managed by regularly setting up shelters during missions, and rotating them out inbetween missions so they can spend some much needed time in the therapy suite. With that being said as I was pushing through toward the endgame and wary of the deathclock, I just had mine popping combat drugs left right and centre to keep a lid on things.

While it won’t be winning any prizes any time soon, the story is far better than most videogames in the franchise. My only criticism story wise is the presentation at the end feels a bit rushed, and perhaps could have used a bit more exposition.

Its not perfect and there are some issues; some players report some pretty terrible bugs that can be game breaking in some instances. Outside of one particular mission my bugs were limited to icons not disappearing off the game interface, or dead aliens not ragdolling and instead remaining frozen in time for ever. Pharos Spire later in the game however left me with a number of game breaking bugs which I was at least able to resolve by reloading a previous save and only losing a few minutes of progress each time. Not the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless.

The difficulty curve is also inconsistent. While the first foray into a hive is a nail biting experience as it absolutely should be, it gets easier from there, has a couple of massive difficulty spikes in the mid late campaign (I’m looking at you Montero), but then gets much easier again heading toward the endgame. That’s also with me pushing my marines further toward the end and dealing with high aggressiveness rather than regularly withdrawing and redeploying to maximise my advantage.

Anyway this has turned out far longer than I expected and I’ll probably rejig this and put this up as a Steam review. This game is great and one of my favourites of 2023 up there with Dead Space, Resident Evil 4, and Boltgun.

Now give us Alien Isolation 2 you cowards.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gnome de plume posted:

bonus for including Spaceballs footage (pretty sure I saw that before I saw Alien)

I know I did or I would have got the reference. As it was it was a mystery to my child self.

E: my roommate is doing a rewatch and is not looking forward to Alien3

I gave him the talk about the selling points of it but he's still apprehensive. Hopefully he reports back better than expected but idk. Maybe I should try it just to see if I'm full of poo poo.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The film is a masterpiece.

I can understand why people don't like it, but it gets better each time I see it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you can track down the Assembly Cut of Alien3 it may be worth it.

I don't know if I would've enjoyed the Assembly Cut without seeing the theatrical cut first, but it is definitely better.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

I get why most people are mad at 3, but I think it's genuinely quite good. I think Sigourney Weavers performance is one of the best in the series.

The Assembly cut is genuinely better. It actually makes the prisoners characters instead of just a backdrop, so you actually have an interest in their fate, rather than the Alien universe equivalent of Red Shirts. Just more attention to fleshing things out so the story has something to build off of.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Saw Alien on the big screen tonight, a 35mm print of the Director’s Cut. Was great to finally do so, and with a full house too, which I wasn’t expecting at all. A woman sitting behind me must have been seeing it for the first time as she let out a hushed ”..oh. gently caress.” at the Special Order 937 reveal, followed by panicky yelping to Milky Boi a few minutes later. Some heathens on the way out questioned Ripley looking for Jonesy, hangings too good for them imo.

Re. A3 chat - it commits an inexcusable sin in my eyes: it looks like garbage, something unforgivable given its gorgeous predecessors. The puppet looks and moves bad, the CGI is bobbins, and the most of the film looks like someone smeared poo poo on the lens.

Also, killing Clemens off so soon (or at all), smh. Still, it did give us maybe the best ”..gently caress!” in cinema history, so there is that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Now give us Aliens Isolation 2 you cowards.

Seconded, but if they ever do a sequel, I'd like them to branch out a little with it since even most people who loved the original felt it went on too long and became repetitive. Many even learned to kite the AI that made it so great and terrifying. I'm not saying to turn it entirely into an action shooter but keeping the concept that these fuckers are REALLY hard to kill along with a grizzled, armed Space Marine trying to anyway (or HAVING to) would add another layer to what's already some amazing gameplay.

Multiple Aliens that are still a motherfucker to deal with but CAN BE if you're smart. You'd still have to hide, craft on the and use stealth but maybe up the action a bit. Basically, follow the Alien ----> Aliens template from the movies, preferably without the squad element unless you add a coop feature. Maybe you're the last Marine standing but you find the dead bodies of your colleagues and can loot them but ammo and health are still scarce and the LAST thing you want to have to do is try to kill one or two of these motherfuckers or get swarmed by facehuggers.

Final boss fight = The Queen, obviously, and then you've got to make it out alive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The best part about Aliens is we all saw Alien, we know how hosed up these Xenos are, and they sent Ripley, she knows!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My Aliens: Double D campaign has sat unfinished about halfway through. Been a bit distracted by Baldur’s Gate 3.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Seconded, but if they ever do a sequel, I'd like them to branch out a little with it since even most people who loved the original felt it went on too long and became repetitive. Many even learned to kite the AI that made it so great and terrifying. I'm not saying to turn it entirely into an action shooter but keeping the concept that these fuckers are REALLY hard to kill along with a grizzled, armed Space Marine trying to anyway (or HAVING to) would add another layer to what's already some amazing gameplay.

Multiple Aliens that are still a motherfucker to deal with but CAN BE if you're smart. You'd still have to hide, craft on the and use stealth but maybe up the action a bit. Basically, follow the Alien ----> Aliens template from the movies, preferably without the squad element unless you add a coop feature. Maybe you're the last Marine standing but you find the dead bodies of your colleagues and can loot them but ammo and health are still scarce and the LAST thing you want to have to do is try to kill one or two of these motherfuckers or get swarmed by facehuggers.

Final boss fight = The Queen, obviously, and then you've got to make it out alive.

Add in the hive awareness mechanic from Descent, could be a good balance with playing someone with the firepower to kill a bug or two.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Fatrick posted:

Predators are cannon in the Transformers universe now

I don't think this post is funny at all. I hate it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Something that might be cool to play with is having different locations you go between instead of one station. Just because Isolation I feel really did cover like every possible thing you're going to have someone get into in a single "haunted house" space place. Maybe take a que from Dark Descent and have it be on a planet with various facilities or even have you functionally space truckin'/marine touring around with alien-plot related stuff getting more prominent as it goes on.

Maybe the first mission is just you and your fellow marines destroying a labor movement on some important colony. Usually these types of game stories have some major point where someone goes from "establishment good" to "establishment bad". But if the hypothetical game were to be as long as Isolation it might be interesting to see a loyal person develop a slow burn strong hatred for the corporations build up over time instead of a lightswitch moment.

It'd also make it interesting to create new/unique scenarios if they have some wildly different types of places/planets/whatever to be on.

Like Isolation's atmosphere and setting is so flawlessly executed rather than rehashing that it'd be cool to see a variety of environments with that level of detail in it. If I win power ball I will definitely make this happen.

I agree too it'd be a good idea to not use the Amanda Ripley character again or at most have her in the background as a supporting character or just someone the main character knows someone who knows who provides some info at some point or whatever. You can absolutely have a marine/more actiony armed kind of character and still have the tension that they can get loving wrecked by aliens easily, especially if they're as resilient as the main one presented in Isolation. So you can definitely do a horror action game with more emphasis on the horror.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Am enjoying Dark Descent. Currently my medic has developed a fear of blood, another marine has paranoia and becomes stressed when deployed with other marines (i.e. every mission) and my sergeant becomes very upset when he sees aliens. I also chuckled on the very first mission when I saw the negative traits my marines started with, including cowardice, bad luck and being clumsy. Clearly the marine corps is not sending their best.