Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

The_Doctor posted:

The animators were already saying it was never going to be next year, even before the strike.

Could be a blessing in disguise if it gives the animators more breathing room. They're still working, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don’t know for sure but I can’t imagine the script is nailed down. And we know the script was being worked on during animation for this one, so even if the animation team were working, it’d be a completely static version, which is usually a pretty bad way to make a movie. There needs to be some flexibility.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Are the animators for Sony IATSE? If so, I don't think they are part of the strike.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Image works is a non-union shop.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kristofer Anka just posted this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvcrkC9Ljyq/

Given he states this was the second cover he did for ATSV and it didn't show up, I'm wondering if it's actually going to show up in BTSV.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Though disappointing, this would make the end of ItS very funny if they never get to make the last part

I didn't know it was a 2 parter going in so I thought they were joking and it would be one of those "To Be Continued...now!" gags cause all they had left was for spot to fire a laser into the sky and the heroes to stop him

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Communist Thoughts posted:

I didn't know it was a 2 parter going in so I thought they were joking and it would be one of those "To Be Continued...now!" gags cause all they had left was for spot to fire a laser into the sky and the heroes to stop him

I do kinda wonder how they're going to fill out the runtime, like yes the story is obviously not finished but it seems like it would only take a few more scenes to wrap everything up

1) Spot fight scene
2) Gwen's team vs. Miguel's team. Probably combined with convincing Miguel to stop being such a meanie.
3) Convincing Earth 42 Miles to stop being such a dick.
4) Save Jefferson from getting squished.

Of course there's more character stuff you can add like developing Miguel more (I actually feel like he's an incomplete character as of now - sure Miles is technically the cause of his problems but that doesn't feel like explanation for why he seems to utterly hate Miles), Peter and Gwen giving Miles an apology (because they really did stab him in the back), etc. but is that going to take 90+ minutes? idk

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I figure the opening of the next one would probably be a 20 minute intro/fight scene with the alternate Miles showing what's up with him and to be an action setpiece early on, like the Gwen scene was in this one, established her more than the original movie and was a loving great intro scene. Show him fighting his universes sinister six with Aaron or something, that'd take up a decent chunk of time.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Narrative logic dictates we will also have to return to the collider one more time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think the next movie is going to focus on the root cause of universes collapsing in the first place. The "canon event" explanation just sounds like a rationalization made to try to explain what's happening, but I feel like it's not the full story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1688539916664250369?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Wonder which version will be the one for digital release.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wonder which version will be the one for digital release.

It's at least not the original sound mix from opening weekend version, I could actually hear Gwen's monologue over the drumming. I'm a little torn, the extremely loud drums in the mix helped reinforce the "I'm here to hit my feelings with sticks" line, but being able to not strain to understand her was much better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The discs should have all the scene versions on and randomly play them each time, so you never know which scenes you’ll get.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
You're crazy if you think the next movie isn't gonna spend an hour introducing two or three new spidermen

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re absolutely going to introduce a bunch of Miles Spidery variants at the end. Insomniac, Amazing Friends, Lego, Ultimate cartoon, etc.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like for them to include Ultimatum in there as well simply so someone has to actually answer "why is 616 Miles drawn as a white guy twice Miles's age"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

I would like for them to include Ultimatum in there as well simply so someone has to actually answer "why is 616 Miles drawn as a white guy twice Miles's age"

So many comics artists struggle to draw non-caucasian people, it’s not funny.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Give us Spiders-Man or we riot.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

mycot posted:

I do kinda wonder how they're going to fill out the runtime, like yes the story is obviously not finished but it seems like it would only take a few more scenes to wrap everything up

1) Spot fight scene
2) Gwen's team vs. Miguel's team. Probably combined with convincing Miguel to stop being such a meanie.
3) Convincing Earth 42 Miles to stop being such a dick.
4) Save Jefferson from getting squished.

Of course there's more character stuff you can add like developing Miguel more (I actually feel like he's an incomplete character as of now - sure Miles is technically the cause of his problems but that doesn't feel like explanation for why he seems to utterly hate Miles), Peter and Gwen giving Miles an apology (because they really did stab him in the back), etc. but is that going to take 90+ minutes? idk

i think half the movie is gonna just be MIguel's entire backstory starting from his PoV, and then will catch up past midway and go back to Miles and Gwen

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
there was a picture of Margaret Thatcher during the "I hate the PM" line, right?

there's nothing in the digital release

e: watching other rips from June and maybe I made that up??

fosborb fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 9, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I swear there was a quick picture of Thatcher.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've seen the film eight times in theatres and never noticed thatcher, but I also have no idea what the woman looks like.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaius Marius posted:

I've seen the film eight times in theatres and never noticed thatcher, but I also have no idea what the woman looks like.
She looks like this, complete with demon horns and cyborg arm

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

pointlessone posted:

It's at least not the original sound mix from opening weekend version, I could actually hear Gwen's monologue over the drumming. I'm a little torn, the extremely loud drums in the mix helped reinforce the "I'm here to hit my feelings with sticks" line, but being able to not strain to understand her was much better.

It seems to be a mix of what people commonly called the Lyla selfie version and the Lyla fistbump version (as thats one of the first indicators of changes)
But even in cinemas it wasnt consistent what you would see

But to recap for what I saw in the digital version
Has the better soundmixing and art fixes of the selfie version (I noticed they added black holes to one of Spots scenes when before he was just bouncing off of air)

And it has a lot of the newer lines (Ben Reilly's musculature, Spot caring more about his risky mini collider)
Miles also doesnt say 'sorry man, I am going home' and Gwen has less lines when she sees Miles get buried in rubble

On the other hand it keeps Miguel's fangs, the original Gwen/Miles reunion scene and the original scene of all the spiderman chasing after Miles and falling down (instead of being bounced up)
Granted for most of these I dont know if they were changes to the selfie version to begin with, since I only ever saw the fistbump version cinemas.

edit: I may have obsessed over this too much

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 9, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I swear there was a quick picture of Thatcher.

Are we Mandelaing or something, because I am positive that I saw it as well

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q1EZlT30yo

Cam rip from a month ago

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is so weird. I remember seeing Tatcher too, like pretty vividly because it made the 'hate the PM' joke land.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean if you say the words hate the PM to non-Tory people they’re going to think of Thatcher.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the digital version have the fixed detailing on Prowler Miles? There's two versions and one is missing some of the facial lines.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I remember looking out for Thatcher during my second viewing, after reading about her appearance in here, and I didn't see her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean if you say the words hate the PM to non-Tory people they’re going to think of Thatcher.

Bojo as well, and hey, there was a pig on screen right at that moment!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Bojo as well, and hey, there was a pig on screen right at that moment!

It was Cameron who hosed the pig.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arc Hammer posted:

Does the digital version have the fixed detailing on Prowler Miles? There's two versions and one is missing some of the facial lines.

It does yeah.
Its gonna be hard to tell what change was even real since I never saw any camrips of the 'selfie version'

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we need patch notes

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Finally got a chance to see this, loved it.

I didn't know about the cliffhanging going in, and it was a minor bummer, but in retrospect, it just means there's more of this story and visual style coming in the future. Maybe, probably. Happy to wait as long as needed or have it never come out if it means the strike can resolve on favorable terms.

Hobie is the best part of the movie. Taking one of the worst tropes (romantic rival) and effortlessly twisting it in such an amazing and loveable way was pure genius.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Skippy McPants posted:

Hobie is the best part of the movie. Taking one of the worst tropes (romantic rival) and effortlessly twisting it in such an amazing and loveable way was pure genius.

I absolutely love that it's also a completely different trope that it played completely straight. Drummer crashing on the guitarist's couch.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It was Cameron who hosed the pig.

Cameron hosed Bojo? Best scandal since Profumo!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't even catch Hobie was meant to be a fake-out romantic rival, but I think I just figured Miles immediately liked him as much as the audience does.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://twitter.com/Marmxcca13/status/1688988095092264960?t=OgsBE5y1Kf_JSbTqKTm9yA&s=19

So we're up to three different versions now?

EDIT forgot to spoiler.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I didn't even catch Hobie was meant to be a fake-out romantic rival, but I think I just figured Miles immediately liked him as much as the audience does.
I'm not sure he really was seriously supposed to be? In the scene where gwen is talking about the stuff she's doing with spider society and Miles sounds kind of jealous I guess there was like one line where she mentioned she left her jacket at his place or something where Miles might have been been thinking they were an item but it's almost irrelevant

to me during that scene he sounded much more like he was jealous of gwen for getting to be involved in spider society than jealous of hobie and the others for spending time with gwen

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 10, 2023