Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Arbetor posted:

I mean, the last time I assumed a character's forced, painful grin was a sign of distress, it was actually just her being perfectly fine and everything was good and we need to stop questioning her emotional state or her relationship with her father.

:negative:

Mr.Radar posted:

BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Gunnerkrigg Court: is she in a literal fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thinking again about how Zimmy made a big deal that Kat is going to be the one to kill her. I feel like we're once again going to have a Kat ex machina situation where Kat walks up and largely sees things as normal then has to stab Zimmy and/or Coyote to make things normal again for everyone else.

"Wait, but Tiny Myers, Kat was able to see Zimmyham during The Torn Sea!"

Yeah but this comic has no internal consistency anymore and this is the dumbest, most anticlimactic poo poo I can imagine so I'm betting on it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Zimmy/Coyote/Loup fuse together, as do Annie/Kat. Kannie then kills Zoyoup and thus fulfills all predictions about Annie killing Loup and Kat killing Zimmy.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CodfishCartographer posted:

Zimmy/Coyote/Loup fuse together, as do Annie/Kat. Kannie then kills Zoyoup and thus fulfills all predictions about Annie killing Loup and Kat killing Zimmy.

This except it's Annie/Kat/Renard, turning

into Katsannie.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
all the characters in the entire comic fuse together into a giant blob monster like at the end of Inside, which then commits suicide.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Everyone's going to fuse and combine their powers to take down Coyote, huh? I've seen this one before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMU-5jaOo0

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought 😬

edit: BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Gunnerkrigg Court: is she in a literal fridge

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Mr.Radar posted:

edit: BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Gunnerkrigg Court: is she in a literal fridge

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DontMockMySmock posted:

all the characters in the entire comic fuse together into a giant blob monster like at the end of Inside, which then commits suicide.

that's really what happened, isn't it

there's loup, Lana, and the unitary [everyone else]

not even coyote left this nonsense with his identity distinct to his character

Edit: actually, I have that wrong. There's Jerrick, and there's Everyone Else, The Plot Facilitators. Loup isn't even really a character in the comic anymore, just a placeholder.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 9, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Do you guys have some obsession with food? Saying that a nondescript metal box is a fridge just to make it seem worse seems a bit forced.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"fridging" is a tem for when you kill or injure a female character to motivate or cause character development for a male character (usually. You can switch up the genders of either party but it's usually this way) the term originated from a specific comic book incident: in a Green Lantern comic published in 1994, the character Alexandra DeWitt was killed and her body was found in a refrigerator, serving as a catalyst for the emotional journey of the main character, Kyle Rayner.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

katamari damannie

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Cavatica posted:

katamari damannie

"Katamari Coyote" was right there, c'mon.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

If Monday's page is any indication, they're going to fuse into a big squid/octopus monster and a naked blue man is going to show up and be sad about their death before teleporting to Antarctica

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

christmas boots posted:

"fridging" is a tem for when you kill or injure a female character to motivate or cause character development for a male character (usually. You can switch up the genders of either party but it's usually this way) the term originated from a specific comic book incident: in a Green Lantern comic published in 1994, the character Alexandra DeWitt was killed and her body was found in a refrigerator, serving as a catalyst for the emotional journey of the main character, Kyle Rayner.

You really can't reverse the genders on this because the term is not seperable from the dynamics of how female characters were and are treated as lesser and disposable in comics, as well as the phenomena of violence against women being used for shock value in stories about male characters. It's not a generic term for one character being killed off to motivate another. It does have use discussing other marginalized classes or minorities experiencing the same dynamic.

Personally, I also find it a bit iffy in cases of discussing a side character being killed off who is not the only major representation of the marginalized group in the narrative, because another important aspect of it is that women don't get to be main characters in the story, don't get to be the people who do things or the people whose PoVs are considered important, and if it's for instance, a story in an all girl's school with female leads and a secondary female dies and the story explores how that affects them, nearly all the dynamics that make 'fridging' so frustrating are absent. But if she was also the only queer character or PoC in the cast, it could be considered fridging.

TL;DR fridging exists to describe a kind of pervasive authorial sexism in terms of whose stories are important and who is considered disposable, and not purely a character dying and the story looking at how that affects another character. It also applies to other groups who are used as disposable and denied opportunities to have stories be about them, but all other things being equal, if a (dominant group) character dies and that motivates a (disadvantaged group) character it is missing the point of the 'fridging' criticism to call it fridging.

All that said, Lana is for sure safe to describe as a fridging based on what we've seen, albeit one that would not be nearly so grating if it also didn't happen after a long trend of the comic ignoring Annie's viewpoint and agency in favor of making the comic about Tony's pain and Loup's... Whole deal. It's become a lot more male dominated over the past few years.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I think it's also worth noting that the term came about as a bit of a "last straw" situation. This was one in a long line of many characters who had been depowered/assaulted/killed for the pathos of a man in comics, and the example of killing a woman and stuffing her in a fridge was particularly brutal and pointless to the point of absurdity.

The phenomenon of fridging in particular cannot be decoupled from its connection to marginalized people being iced for the sake of a more privileged character, yeah. The problem is that women were - and are - seen as props, and not granted the full humanity of their male counterparts, both by the writers and a good chunk of the fanbase. Where a female reader might try to see a strong and interesting female character to be inspired by, a male writer saw the same character as an easily disposable toy. Something to contort into attractive shapes, then break, in order to move the plot along.

There are certainly examples of shallowly-written characters being killed solely for the sake of a different character's plot development regardless of their dynamic, but not all of them constitute "fridging". Like mycatscrimes said though, this one is a clear example of fridging due to the fact that it is a female character who has barely existed outside of being a girlfriend.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

this one is a clear example of fridging due to the fact that it is a female character who has barely existed outside of being a girlfriend.

Like somebody mentioned a few updates ago, Loup flashing back through what Lana meant to him was... her smiling in a void in a few different poses. She hasn't done anything in the comic and is barely a character at all outside of her being attached to Loup - what does he even have to remember about her? It feels very explicitly like Lana only existed for Loup's development, from the gross saving-her-from-immigrant-assault to the out-of-loving-nowhere love confession to Coyote fridging her. And this splash page feels like it's shoving her complete emptiness as a character directly at us: Look at this technically proficient but utterly empty drawing of a non-character with an equally empty expression. I think part of what's making us react so viscerally to it, as opposed to any of the other splash pages of other characters Tom's done, is that there's no there there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

christmas boots posted:

On top of that, during Blackest Night, when literally every dead character was brought back as a zombie apocalypse by the Black Rings, she was explicitly brought back still crammed in the fridge, while everyone else was just zombified versions of how they looked before they died.

Also, holy gently caress Lana looks like she's going to skin me and wear my skin like a suit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RocketMermaid posted:

Like somebody mentioned a few updates ago, Loup flashing back through what Lana meant to him was... her smiling in a void in a few different poses. She hasn't done anything in the comic and is barely a character at all outside of her being attached to Loup - what does he even have to remember about her? It feels very explicitly like Lana only existed for Loup's development, from the gross saving-her-from-immigrant-assault to the out-of-loving-nowhere love confession to Coyote fridging her. And this splash page feels like it's shoving her complete emptiness as a character directly at us: Look at this technically proficient but utterly empty drawing of a non-character with an equally empty expression. I think part of what's making us react so viscerally to it, as opposed to any of the other splash pages of other characters Tom's done, is that there's no there there.

Yeah, I can't think of any interaction she's had with any character that wasn't explicitly about her sexuality, having a crush on Jerrek, being jealous of Annie, or being in a relationship with Jerrek. She is "Jerrek's girlfriend" and nothing more, there is literally nothing else to her character, and her death has meaning only in how it affects HIM.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
She kind of had a character in those first couple pages.

...before she got a crush on Jerrek :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Randalor posted:

Also, holy gently caress Lana looks like she's going to skin me and wear my skin like a suit.

Any time someone's mentioned her appearance in today's update itt I'm like "Was it really that offputting, or are we just exaggerating here?" and then I go check it out and it's always somehow even weirder than I remember.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I wish we *had* had creepy Lana, the experience of a robot learning to be human in the uncanny valley. But we got the prop.

I think what sucks the most is how much it could have been great even with a surface rewrite just not trying to sell Gunnerjerrek Court

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope the inaccuracy of the courts prediction machine is contagious and none of the prophecies are true. Coyotes plan has already failed in the same manner because Annie is alive and the timeline is hosed. Hopefully Zimmy’s vision is wrong too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lana could have been a fun character exploring how robots were taking to being human in their own weird way, like the fairies. Instead she's Loup's girlfriend and that's it.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lana could have been a fun character exploring how robots were taking to being human in their own weird way, like the fairies. Instead she's Loup's girlfriend and that's it.

Instead she's Loup's sympathy pet that gets killed off so he can feel Ever So Sad and continue the plot along.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

and yet lana is still way more of a character than gamma

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Randalor posted:

On top of that, during Blackest Night, when literally every dead character was brought back as a zombie apocalypse by the Black Rings, she was explicitly brought back still crammed in the fridge, while everyone else was just zombified versions of how they looked before they died.

I'm sorry but :lmao:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the stupidest thing is that it all feels intentional somehow, like the way the story is going it seems like it's becoming a critique of YA fiction composed of just...presenting its tropes one by one like they're runway models

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
It's wild to me that my reading of this comic has drifted so far that I'm not confident that this is intentionally creepy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's very close to one of the expressions Loup recalls on this page as positive memories: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2814

I'm pretty confident it was not meant as creepy in any way, but as a haunting, earnest memorial for a character people were supposed to care about.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's ✨kawaii✨

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Retire the synth

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Lana is a sleeper agent from the court to seduce Loup and compromise him to a permanent end

Drunk Canuck fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 10, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's definitely intentionally creepy.

The problem is that I can't tell why I'm supposed to think it's creepy. What was I supposed to infer about what's going on from a drawing of Lana giving a creepy, dead-eyed smile in a box?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This was the explanation that made the most sense to me, but honestly who actually knows besides the guy who drew it?

Tiny Myers posted:

I think this page is supposed to represent that, alive or dead, Lana is trapped within Coyote - unease and uncertainty over her fate is the point. She appears to currently exist within either a literal or metaphorical box. Like some kind of box bot.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

its not intentional. pattern recognition indicates it's not intentional. tom has lost some fundamental ability to convey emotions other than by drawing another full page tortured zimmy face

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Fecha posted:

It's wild to me that my reading of this comic has drifted so far that I'm not confident that this is intentionally creepy

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's ✨kawaii✨

Avatar idea: That image with " i̸̟͚̔̏͒͊͌t̴͔̭̤̀'̵̨̲̼̦͙̍͛s̴͎̊ ̸̝̣̒͐̑k̷̢͓̻͓̟͐̋̽̇ă̶̢̖̦̖͕͘ẅ̴̩̖̱͕́ā̷̹̮̩̲̀i̶̦͕̗̍͐͑į̸̥̼̾̐" as the text.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's definitely intentionally creepy.

The problem is that I can't tell why I'm supposed to think it's creepy. What was I supposed to infer about what's going on from a drawing of Lana giving a creepy, dead-eyed smile in a box?

Teeth showing with that odd "corners of smile is closed, center is showing teeth", her eyes are showing a massive amount of white around the irises and the head tilt are what sets it firmly into creepy for me. I know her eyes normally look that way, it's just that combined with the other two factors make it unsettling.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Randalor posted:

Teeth showing with that odd "corners of smile is closed, center is showing teeth", her eyes are showing a massive amount of white around the irises and the head tilt are what sets it firmly into creepy for me. I know her eyes normally look that way, it's just that combined with the other two factors make it unsettling.

If you cover up the eyes and just look at the nose and mouth, and vice versa, it feels like the two parts of the facial expression really don't match up with each other, which is part of what does it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

All the robot people look that way, like there's some seams or minor artificiality to their skin and muscles. They just aren't always drawn that way in less detailed panels.

They're robots. They're wiry.

:dadjoke: