Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I correct minor mistakes like that mentally when I read your posting, not when someone publishes an article they expect to be taken at least somewhat seriously

Articles are just posts on websites they let fewer people post on. Also this is an article complaining about the pricing of a greedy companies gambling business by and for people who want to play regardless, so no reason to pull out the highlighters imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Entropic posted:

Someone on Twitter posted a link to a full scan of an old issue of InQuest the other day and I just had to scroll to the price guide for old times' sake:

:negative:

Haha sometimes I think if I had been into Magic at the beginning I'd be rich with stacks of valuable cards but no, I would have never been able to convince anyone to give me 250 bucks to buy a black lotus.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Katana Gomai posted:

This debate got me curious, so I read like five sentences and spotted enough mistakes to make me quit reading. It's garbage. In fact, chatGPT would fix this mess for you and actually improve it.

Half the things you bolded aren't even mistakes. The sentence "Many store owners have gone on the record already saying they needed to make their preorders knowing only the high price, a few cards, and the very enticing name: Commander Masters" is fine as written. If you're going to pull out the highlighters, at least save them for errors that are actually errors?

edit: the "to be running" agreement error is really bad though

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 10, 2023

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Khanstant posted:

Haha sometimes I think if I had been into Magic at the beginning I'd be rich with stacks of valuable cards but no, I would have never been able to convince anyone to give me 250 bucks to buy a black lotus.

I didn't get started towards the end of revised, also I was only 10 years old and had no disposable income. What I did miss out on is Lions Eye Diamond being a bulk rare until dredge and despite opening a lot of Mirage packs I never pulled one.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
My lgs/game cafe bought one set box for the FNM draft and it is an open question whether they will even manage to get a draft pod together for it. I agreed to do it, mostly cause I am flush with cash from a month of nightshifts and I want to help them out not eating a big loss with the margins they are running the store at.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Someone on Twitter posted a link to a full scan of an old issue of InQuest the other day and I just had to scroll to the price guide for old times' sake:

:negative:

I took this photo many years ago, so sorry for the pixels

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khanstant posted:

I was in that very position, but it was to think that certain cards would get a ridiculous as they are now. Mishra's Workshop was just a $30 card sitting around that o could get more out of selling.

And outside the few power 9 and adjacent cards most weren't worth anything even 11-12 years ago before the speculation and commander boom.

When I came back for Innistrad I picked up a few copies of Army of Allah for a joke for .50 per. When I came back again for Ikoria they were $50 a pop. I even keep a eBay receipt from 2011 favorites in my inbox because it was for a Tawnos' Coffin, Phyrexian Dreadnaught and Unlimited Vesuvan Doppelganger for $10.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing I had forgotten about inquest was that in the back of the magazine they would have a a list where you could look up not just the price, but the rules text, of every magic card ever printed. How many pages would that take today?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it took 22 pages when Alliances launched when there were ~1,800 cards in the game. And now there's just under 50,000 so about 617.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It'd be like 3 old phone books put together

Edit: gonna print out the oracle text of every card and keep that poo poo in a 6" binder, then hope wotc doesn't errata the wording of common phrases again

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well it took 22 pages when Alliances launched when there were ~1,800 cards in the game. And now there's just under 50,000 so about 617.

is that counting reprints though? I thought it was closer to 25-30K these days if you go by unique card names.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Entropic posted:

is that counting reprints though? I thought it was closer to 25-30K these days if you go by unique card names.

You're right, itvwas just over 25,000 in May 22. The site I pulled the initial count from doesn't quite understand that unique doesn't mean same card different art.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Khanstant posted:

Articles are just posts on websites they let fewer people post on. Also this is an article complaining about the pricing of a greedy companies gambling business by and for people who want to play regardless, so no reason to pull out the highlighters imo
What the hell kind of argument is this lmao, never have any standards for anything ever, is this why the story is written so abysmally?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Simply Simon posted:

What the hell kind of argument is this lmao, never have any standards for anything ever, is this why the story is written so abysmally?

khanstantly firing off bad takes

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I sold some cards on SA back in 2004...
Some highlights:
1 Taiga (Minor Edge wear) $16.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Tropical Island (Minor play) $17.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Bayou (Minor play) $15 **ON HOLD**
3 Wooded Foothills $5 **ON HOLD**
1 Wheel of Fortune $5 (Minor edge/back wear)
3 Chrome Mox $12
1 Lion's Eye Diamond $3
1 Mox Diamond $12
1 Platinum Angel $6.50
2 Memory Jar $2
1 Grim Monolith $3

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Thom Yorke raps posted:

I sold some cards on SA back in 2004...
Some highlights:
1 Taiga (Minor Edge wear) $16.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Tropical Island (Minor play) $17.50 **ON HOLD**
1 Bayou (Minor play) $15 **ON HOLD**
3 Wooded Foothills $5 **ON HOLD**
1 Wheel of Fortune $5 (Minor edge/back wear)
3 Chrome Mox $12
1 Lion's Eye Diamond $3
1 Mox Diamond $12
1 Platinum Angel $6.50
2 Memory Jar $2
1 Grim Monolith $3

Hi, are these still available?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
My most successful accidental investment was back around 2005 when I had a severe hatred of white borders, but a lot of "staple" cards were only ever printed in core sets, so my options to get them were either foils, promos, or Beta.

I got a Beta Sol Ring for $95, then a couple years after that went on a 12 year break from the game. Sold it a year ago for about $1300.

Also got a playset of full art judge promo Wrath of God... right before it came out that 10th edition was going to be black-bordered.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looks like the Secret Lair Angel commander deck that was spoiled a few days ago is going up now. I want that Bruna and Giselda but there's a lot of chaff in there.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
is it 150 bux again? wotc is blocked at work lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Simply Simon posted:

The argument itself is kinda specious, sure, but arguing the validity of a Magic article based on proofreading is honestly pretty low on the scale of "Grammar and Usage Errors to Give a poo poo About". The argument made still stands. I understand the impulse, though: SaffronOlive might be a fuckin genius but I'd never know because I can't listen to his goddamn voice. Delivery of information matters. I acknowledge that.

But going from "There are a couple simple mistakes here" to "No standards ever??" is a ridiculous slippery slope. In writing pedagogy there are huge debates about the appropriateness of "correct" writing (and therefore "correcting" "incorrect" writing) and the truth is, as long as a message is conveyed to its intended audience, "correctness" is a construct, and its enforcement is usually classist, ableist, racist, some combination of the above, and only used to suppress writing from the "wrong" people.

Which is why it's no surprise that Toshimo would rather bitch about that than argue about Big Daddy Wizards may be doing something wrong when it comes to pricing, marketing, and/or treating its supply chain and customers well or fairly. No need to argue a point when the messenger is dismissed on formal grounds.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Oh yeah that's definitely what I said, everything is articles about trivial mtg things of course.

You just don't see people crawling over even serious articles like they're grading these days and seeing it happen to an arbitrary post on TCGPlayer, not even one of the ones they try and charge for, is funny because of the mismatched priorities.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

is it 150 bux again? wotc is blocked at work lol

Yeah but they're changing it up a bit. The reprints that have never had a foil version before are getting foiled;

Angel of Finality
Angel of Ruins
Breathkeeper Seraph
Dawnbreak Reclaimer
Valkyrie Harbinger

Plus Arden Angel which is getting a first printing here.

The basic lands are all going to foil too, and they're going to be the Rob Alexander plains from the 2003 Arena program.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"Using spellcheck is bigotry" is a spicy take for sure.

Toshimo is an industry veteran, long-time commander writer, and occasional cEDH player. His work has been published on such sites as TCGPlayer.com (the real one, where articles were reviewed, not Infinite, where any jabroni can post clickbait) and dead comedy forum SomethingAwful Dot Com.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Okay, let's stop talking about this article. Let's talk about my opinion which can be slightly awkward in format and grammar due to me being a person

if you're a Commander player (which if you're reading this article, I'm assuming you are), you certainly are in a time of an embarrassing amount of options. Many of your most played cards have tons of cheap versions readily available, especially after Commander Masters. As I mentioned above, this set has meaningfully lowered or even cratered the price on many role players in the Commander format as well as introduced awesome new versions for staples such as Fierce Guardianship (and the rest of its cycle), Demonic Tutor, and a range of classic Commanders like Omnath, Locus of Mana. Heck, even Foil Etched Doubling Season and The Great Henge are under $50, something that I personally never thought I would see (grab them now while you can).

Other Green staples, like Finale of Devastation and Craterhoof Behemoth, are on sale at $30 and Cyclonic Rift, a card that always seems to creep to 40 dollars, is available for $25. In the same vein, there are plenty of awesome playable that people overlooked housed in the still-very-cheap Battle For Baldur's Gate. Take a look at the singles available or, if you want my advice, pick up a draft box to save for a rainy day. I'm telling you, it rules! Honestly, buy these cards while you can. These sets, for all of their bumps and bruises, still do make some cards very accessible for us as players and you should take advantage of that if able!

However, the dynamics of all-time low singles prices (especially for the base, non-blingy versions) and all-time high sealed product prices from distributors are not something that can sustain for long. The secondary market that we enjoy as players is predicated on stores being able to make a decent profit margin on the cards, packs, and other products we buy from them so that they can survive as a business. Many stores have especially relied on buying low and selling high on singles to make ends meet as Amazon and other huge retailers forcing razor-thin margins on sealed product have reduced their own profit on the same product. Now, large range of Booster variants existing, incredibly blingy versions sucking up set estimated value, Secret Lairs, and other products are driving the singles business they relied on into a similar place as well. One way or the other, something is going to eventually break.

To be completely honest, Commander Masters may well put your local game store underwater, even following the success of the soon-to-be-greatest-selling-set-of-all-time The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth. The incredibly high cost to buy the boxes in the first place means that every percent of the margin lost after the sale is much more impactful. Battle for Baldur's Gate was bad enough for stores, where when selling a sealed Set Booster Box at a 15% loss might mean they lost $5-15 per item. Selling a Commander Masters Set Booster Box at the same loss would lock in $50 of losses. That is not sustainable. Wizards of the Coast needs to figure it out before the unimaginable happens to stores everywhere. Commander is and has been a great financial vehicle for stores and Wizards of the Coast alike while also providing excellent experiences for players, but it's becoming obvious that something needs to change.

Any thoughts?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eight-Six posted:

Any thoughts?

Hmm, sounds like paper magic might be in trouble. How about we make standard 4 years and see if that fixes it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eight-Six posted:

Any thoughts?

Sounds reasonable, but you should probably turn your card names into links with referral codes so that you are really min-maxing your posting effort.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Eight-Six posted:

Any thoughts?
I didn't find any spelling mistakes so I guess you're off the hook for now

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Jabor posted:

Hmm, sounds like paper magic might be in trouble. How about we make standard 4 years and see if that fixes it?

Standard Masters 2024 - some expensive Standard reprints, some new cards made just for profit fun

Toshimo posted:

Sounds reasonable, but you should probably turn your card names into links with referral codes so that you are really min-maxing your posting effort.

Brief high idea I had just now is stores selling Tribal Bulk where you get some guaranteed tribal value 4-of and then 36 other cards that are tribal but ultimately bulk. Same concept for my posting, except none of it is quality and the margins on orders of bulk cards pays me $8.03 annually and I starve to death

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

For an actual contribution because I'm just that nice, when I was still playing paper Magic, 15 years ago, the absolute worst part of the game for me was the financial side of it - not necessarily that it cost that insanely much to play (Standard was affordable enough for an 18 yo with his first income) but that you always had people surrounding you going "oh if we draw this game then we can split boosters like this, much more worth it than playing it out" or "oh you opened this card? That pays back for the draft" or "well you lost but you pulled this so actually you're ahead" and so on and on and on which is min-maxing bullshit outside of anything to do with the game itself and I loving hated it, I don't want to buy singles, I don't want to sell my cards, I don't want to look up prices, all of this bullshit.

Considering what at least two thirds of the posts in this thread are about, during my absence from Magic this issue has increased a thousandfold, especially regarding formats that used to be cheap and are no longer. Sometimes I think that I might buy a Commander deck or two and just smash those with friends, then I read any single page here and immediately realize that this would be an awful decision and I go back to playing Arena, which is a lonely experience but blessedly free.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

For an actual contribution because I'm just that nice, when I was still playing paper Magic, 15 years ago, the absolute worst part of the game for me was the financial side of it - not necessarily that it cost that insanely much to play (Standard was affordable enough for an 18 yo with his first income) but that you always had people surrounding you going "oh if we draw this game then we can split boosters like this, much more worth it than playing it out" or "oh you opened this card? That pays back for the draft" or "well you lost but you pulled this so actually you're ahead" and so on and on and on which is min-maxing bullshit outside of anything to do with the game itself and I loving hated it, I don't want to buy singles, I don't want to sell my cards, I don't want to look up prices, all of this bullshit.

Considering what at least two thirds of the posts in this thread are about, during my absence from Magic this issue has increased a thousandfold, especially regarding formats that used to be cheap and are no longer. Sometimes I think that I might buy a Commander deck or two and just smash those with friends, then I read any single page here and immediately realize that this would be an awful decision and I go back to playing Arena, which is a lonely experience but blessedly free.

i basically only do drafts and am living contendedly. Constructed formats are where they get you.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I don't actually give a flip about the prices of commander masters' stuff because it's just all nuts. I'm dumb enough to spend money buying into a draft bulk format but the amount I'm willing to spend isn't that big and is remarkably close to the amount it'd cost me to proxy whole decks

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 10, 2023

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Idk what you're reading that makes it sound like a bad idea. Engagement with the financial side is entirely voluntary if all you want to do is buy a couple precons to play against friends. That's how I engage with mtg at this point. There is definitely a contingent of finance/investment bullshit but it's easy to ignore. Just stay away from randomized product unless you're going to play limited formats, and you'll always know what you're getting for your money.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
320$ a box was shooting for the moon.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Eight-Six posted:

To be completely honest, Commander Masters may well put your local game store underwater...

I went to check on what the current prices are, and it would appear that my local store didn't even stock Commander Masters, outside of a very limited number of the precons. So at least my store is safe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1689645126648500225

Kibler is right

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Couch Life posted:

i basically only do drafts and am living contendedly. Constructed formats are where they get you.

Despite having a pile of RL cards I’m convinced that this is the way to go, but I’m absolutely terrible at drafting. Watching that bronze to mythic series in hopes that it helps somehow, but gd is Davis an unpleasant person outside of actually playing the game. Pity the Limited thread seems to be old and dead.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Loucks posted:

Despite having a pile of RL cards I’m convinced that this is the way to go, but I’m absolutely terrible at drafting. Watching that bronze to mythic series in hopes that it helps somehow, but gd is Davis an unpleasant person outside of actually playing the game. Pity the Limited thread seems to be old and dead.

I'm lucky that there's a few free (re: no entry cost) constructed events pretty close by, so I just go to those and don't really buy cards much anymore.

Though, I also pretty much only play janky old modern decks that have slight updates so the cards I do have to buy are way cheaper than a bunch of chase mythics from current sets tbf

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I used to play mostly limited, it's a better way to play than constructed, but a lot of my chosen examples were Limited ones - e.g. opening a money rare in pack 3 and thinking "I should take this because it's worth the draft", but you pass an excellent uncommon for your deck, that sucks and I never want to think that again

Loucks posted:

The Arena thread talks a lot about drafting, you should hang there!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Simply Simon posted:

The Arena thread talks a lot about drafting, you should hang there!

This is the sort of response I didn’t even think to ask for, so thanks & I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

In a world after Arena went online a few years back I just can't see people paying $350 for a standard deck to go play FNM for store credit.