Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just don't like that it's all but mutually exclusive with character progress. I'm not getting any usable gear hunting down these glands. Only so many of these NM dungeons are giving me rep that I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

bamhand posted:

Maxing renown is like < 10% of my playtime this season. It wasn't great but overall not a big enough deal for me to care about. I had everything complete before I leveled to 60.

Same. It sucked but it also was a nice change from running dungeons over and over but I also don't really want to do it again.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This is a buff

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

American McGay posted:

If you're looking at anything other than the number on a sigil that's scrub behavior lol. Get good brother.

its a bad idea for me to to run armor breakers as a hc barb lol

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

coelomate posted:

a plain white ring from the vendor is clvl 10 required.

Great news: the seasonal quest both got me up to clvl 10 and dropped two equipabble blue rings. I was here to chew bubblegum and grind-Varshan-to-exploit-out-a-mountain-of-Barber-Hearts-before-Yesterday's-patch, and it looks like I'm all out of bubblegum.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

zoux posted:

I just don't like that it's all but mutually exclusive with character progress. I'm not getting any usable gear hunting down these glands. Only so many of these NM dungeons are giving me rep that I need.

If you do it either as you're leveling, or once you break into wt4, then you're at least still getting relevant XP and gear from it, even if it isn't as efficient as grinding dungeons or resetting strongholds or whatever.

If you're trying to knock it out when you're level 55+ but not yet in WT4, however, it sucks out loud because yeah, you're getting basically zilch for XP. Which is funny, because the game initially locking the reward for renown tier 4 and 5 kinda make it seem like that's exactly when they want you to do it!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shredder posted:

someone posted this earlier in the thread and it's cut down my inventory bullshit sorting time significantly

obviously you can be less strict with this early on but it's good targets to shoot for

This is a useful checklist for loot management. Thank you for sharing.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I like this handy guide for the top priority stat on a piece of gear, but I don't like the suggestion to delete something if it didn't drop naturally with the most important thing. Some of the best amulets you can hope for do not have cool down when they drop, because that's what you roll onto them

I will keep this in mind

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 9, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They should make quest rewards scale, brain dead easy fix and also removes the insultingly bad design of poo poo like 1-2 veil crystals as a reward. I was leveling and doing side quests was a waste of time and effort beyond the renown because the reward would be something like 20k gold and 2k experience. "ah but all the xp you got killing monsters" every other activity has killing monsters. They're lazy placeholder values that weren't looked at for anything but playing the campaign for the first time.

You could increase quest rewards by 10-20x and they'd be reasonable. A side quest is 1/30th to 1/15th of a level? Cool! 400k gold? A mere drop in the bucket for WT3 and beyond enchanting and reroll needs. 20 veiled crystals? GOOD. That covers the loot you're losing by not running a NMD in the same timeframe and mass salvaging everything that drops.

Ah well, by S3 they'll have made renown carry over in full anyway.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

CBD Corndog posted:

Its cool that every team at Blizzard has to keep learning the same lessons over and over again

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/hotfix-1-august-9-2023-111/113613

2% to craft major power from the shiny new seasonal activity, who thought that was a good idea

:psyduck:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bamhand posted:

Maxing renown is like < 10% of my playtime this season. It wasn't great but overall not a big enough deal for me to care about. I had everything complete before I leveled to 60.

I'm probably not the fastest player but I clocked it at around 3 hours per zone levelling just by doing the strongholds, very quick quests (someone made a list), the quests that lead to dungeons, and then a lap around the zone doing dungeons until I hit 2000 renown. I wish I'd timed individual dungeons because they are obviously not all equally fast to clear. This was with a necro so classes with movement abilities are going to be faster

It's clearly not the fastest way to level, but I wanted to actually time it so I can compare it to levelling through the fastest methods and then blasting renown at high level when you have ancestral move speed boots and amulet and a bunch of CDR

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bamhand posted:

I finished it at 59, but that’s my highest char this season so 100% of my seasonal gameplay so far has been below 60.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

By all accounts it looks like we're going to be drowning in wrathfuls now. Someone on Reddit said that out of 20 Ravening Pit runs they got 9 wrathful hearts.

So given that it seems like Barber is almost an inevitability now, what are some tips to make the best use of it? Seems like it needs a crit to kick off and does shadow damage? I wonder if +shadow damage affixes apply after the damage is all totaled up? Presumably it also plays well with shadow passives like Consuming Shadows?

Edit: I wonder if Skyhunter would help or hinder? Guaranteed first hit Barber proc, but seems like it would prevent any chance of things like lucky hit bonuses.
Edit2: Might need to get rid of knockback heart too.
Edit3: Barber + trap taunt?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 9, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tarnop posted:

I'm probably not the fastest player but I clocked it at around 3 hours per zone levelling just by doing the strongholds, very quick quests (someone made a list), the quests that lead to dungeons, and then a lap around the zone doing dungeons until I hit 2000 renown. I wish I'd timed individual dungeons because they are obviously not all equally fast to clear. This was with a necro so classes with movement abilities are going to be faster

It's clearly not the fastest way to level, but I wanted to actually time it so I can compare it to levelling through the fastest methods and then blasting renown at high level when you have ancestral move speed boots and amulet and a bunch of CDR

That list is excellent, thanks for linking that. This will help me push through the last two areas where I need to finish renown, and having just exhausted all the Lyndon quests I'm finding the last bit of Hawezar really dragging.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

By all accounts it looks like we're going to be drowning in wrathfuls now. Someone on Reddit said that out of 20 Ravening Pit runs they got 9 wrathful hearts.

So given that it seems like Barber is almost an inevitability now, what are some tips to make the best use of it? Seems like it needs a crit to kick off and does shadow damage? I wonder if +shadow damage affixes apply after the damage is all totaled up? Presumably it also plays well with shadow passives like Consuming Shadows?

I'm not sure I've paid much attention to elemental effects with the barber and my Necro, but so far it seems pretty amazing anytime I can drag a bunch of enemies together, because one of them exploding seems to trigger the rest of them and whole piles of mobs just disappear in the blink of an eye. So anything that can cluster mobs together is going to be awesome with the Barber.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

stack a bunch of crit damage, which is basically what everyone does anyway. crit chance not important if you don't get it already

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
lol man, drat. rogues break lilith even harder than blizzard spikes sorc did in the preseason.

you just press concealment when she flies to break a platform segment and...nothing happens. the platform doesn't break. the blisters don't shoot the skulls at you. lmao.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

It's annoying and dumb. It needs to include world events, cellars, actual loving seasonal content. Do world bosses even count for renown?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Dr. Eldarion posted:

So given that it seems like Barber is almost an inevitability now, what are some tips to make the best use of it?

Pulling and grouping monsters, 100%. Obviously crit chance on your gear and where you can from skills, but the big boom comes from tightly packed mobs. Corpse vine, grasping WW, druid vacuum ult heart, etc.

Avoid trample and other knock back skillsthat are now big anti-synergistic

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

It's annoying and dumb. It needs to include world events, cellars, actual loving seasonal content. Do world bosses even count for renown?

Nope. Only whats listed on the sheet (dungeons/sidequests/strongholds/waypoints) then the stuff that carries over (exploration/statues).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Renown is finite. There is a specific checklist of things that you do, and you get renown for checking off the box

There are no endlessly renewable sources of Renown

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I expect next season we'll see something like waypoint unlocks carry over and maybe renown from the season mechanic and nightmare dungeon completion.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

You probably want your barber around 2.8 or 2.9 seconds to synergize with exploit glyphs vuln too?

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Is there any reliable way to find Helltide Commanders for the season journey requirement? Riding around on my horse like an idiot bumblebee from event location to event location seems to just give me the same half dozen caravan defense / malignant pustule / siphons of whatever type events. Have only stumbled across the portal event that produces the Commanders by luck so far

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Renown is garbage at least make the obols the fifth one instead of the useful reward. They keep this or else you'd just be grinding the same dungeons from 1-100 though but that's a them problem really

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Incremus posted:

Is there any reliable way to find Helltide Commanders for the season journey requirement? Riding around on my horse like an idiot bumblebee from event location to event location seems to just give me the same half dozen caravan defense / malignant pustule / siphons of whatever type events. Have only stumbled across the portal event that produces the Commanders by luck so far

I knocked it out in like 3 helltides just riding around doing normal cinder gathering stuff. The assassin guy counts too I believe. You're going to complete that one WAAAY before you get 15 world bosses, hit 100, or kill Lilith.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Incremus posted:

Kixxarth counts. You will also see them in the big tornado event.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

CBD Corndog posted:

Its cool that every team at Blizzard has to keep learning the same lessons over and over again

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/hotfix-1-august-9-2023-111/113613

2% to craft major power from the shiny new seasonal activity, who thought that was a good idea

bold of you to assume they're learning anything and not just reacting to the fallout of whatever their latest fuckup was

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1.1.2 patch announced as coming "very soon."

Assuming it will mostly be bug fixes and a few of the QOL things they mentioned in the fireside chat that didn't make it to the 1.1 patch.

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1689338033009733634

I've gotten more wrathful invokers in 2-3 NM dungeons just now (2) than I had prior to this for the entirety of the season,

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
are there any other "while injured" conditions that reward you for being in that state other than damage reduction while injured? barbarian heart sorta but thats all can think of

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've gotten more wrathful invokers in 2-3 NM dungeons just now (2) than I had prior to this for the entirety of the season,

Yeah, I had two drop in the last Helltide I did.

Helltides are really fun now. XP is probably a bit worse than running NDs but it scratches the mindless grinding itch of D3’s rifts.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Tainen posted:

Helltides are really fun now. XP is probably a bit worse than running NDs but it scratches the mindless grinding itch of D3’s rifts.

It's like 1/10th the XP of nightmare dungeons for me.

e: OK I did an actual test and it was more like 1/2-2/3 the XP of a dungeon. Not as bad as I thought. I got about 1.7M from a DM dungeon in 10 minutes and 1M from Helltide in 10 minutes with 1 mystery chest.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wait wait, they removed the priority enchanting mechanism!? what the gently caress?

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Don Dongington posted:

If you're running a standard Rogue TB or Flurry build, you probably don't have the skill on your bars to unload it - but it doesn't matter, the flat damage reduction makes it extremely valuable, especially at higher level content.

18-22% non-additive DR would beat out max roll disobedience on an amulet on a rogue I assume, seeing as they have less armour to go around in general. Same would go for sorc.

I am using trap/imbuements so it goes off regularly. What I'm wondering about is if the DR is always there if you don't set off the explosion ie is there a limit as to how much it will absorb. Because it says the damage received is amplified by 250% and then does like 30k damage - which could imply it isn't absorbing very much before it hits a total that then needs "emptying" before the DR starts up again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Verviticus posted:

wait wait, they removed the priority enchanting mechanism!? what the gently caress?

It's either good or bad depending on the slot and the roll you want, but is a net Improvement from what I've experienced

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Do Helltides level with you, I'm about to hit 72 and I love them and never want to stop.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Do Helltides level with you, I'm about to hit 72 and I love them and never want to stop.

yes

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's either good or bad depending on the slot and the roll you want, but is a net Improvement from what I've experienced

if you knew what stats were priority is pretty much always a downgrade. finding a ring with 3 good stats and no crit means you found a 4 stat ring. if you find boots without move speed you can trash them b/c MS wasn’t prio. the solution probably should have been to keep stat prio in, make it basic stuff that every build wants (MS on boots, CDR on neck, cost reduction on head), and then add a third option on rerolls at the enchanter

also holy poo poo the horse is so much faster on controller now. i don’t know how anyone could have had any doubts about mkb being faster if they ever used both

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Verviticus posted:

fun was detected

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
No longer having a 100% chance to roll crit on rings is making the loot treadmill way more frustrating for me. I picked up a 2/4 umbral with a middling vuln roll and was hoping to keep it until an ancestral with at least 2 of crit dmg / chance / vuln /max life and the right socket dropped, but I ended up having to extract it.

5 mins later I gambled a 4/4 though so I guess it's cool.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It’s better lol. You can more easily roll movespeed onto boots now etc. the biggest down case is crit on rings not being guaranteed essentially but almost every other item slot is benefitting here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Kixxarth counts. You will also see them in the big tornado event.

bamhand posted:

I knocked it out in like 3 helltides just riding around doing normal cinder gathering stuff. The assassin guy counts too I believe. You're going to complete that one WAAAY before you get 15 world bosses, hit 100, or kill Lilith.

Thanks, complaining online did the trick per usual. Found two tornadoes in the next Helltide I ran and got it knocked out