Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Coffee break has really changed my zwift experience. It's much easier to get through 2+ hours on the trainer when you're able to stick with 50 or so people toughing it out with you for the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'd say this rest week is going pretty well so far.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do magnetic trainers taper off over some speed? I've got a bell motivator 2.0 and at the end of a 30-minute ride I tried sprinting and it felt like the resistance stopped increasing in the higher gears.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

brand engager posted:

Do magnetic trainers taper off over some speed? I've got a bell motivator 2.0 and at the end of a 30-minute ride I tried sprinting and it felt like the resistance stopped increasing in the higher gears.

I'm going to speak generally cuz I'm sure it'll possible to do a "well actually" on this, but basically magnetic trainers don't increase resistance at all with wheel speed. You have to move a magnet closer or father from the flywheel to increase or decrease resistance by X watts. In your pic that's the job of the little dial attached to a cord. This is a core functionality of smart trainers which are always moving little magnets around to try and hit whatever resistance number it needs to find. Air and fluid trainers will do what you're saying as their resistance model depends on moving blades/whatever around in a medium.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was already using the higest setting on it because that feels closest to the effort it would take outdoors at those <20mph speeds. It definitely increases with wheelspeed, but past some speed it either isn't increasing at all or just not enough to matter.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

brand engager posted:

I was already using the higest setting on it because that feels closest to the effort it would take outdoors at those <20mph speeds. It definitely increases with wheelspeed, but past some speed it either isn't increasing at all or just not enough to matter.
Google
First Result (for me, at least)
Content, "Since the resistance is constant, it will not automatically increase when you pedal harder or easier."

It's possible that the constant resistance feels like a curve. Pedaling at 50 watts with 30 watts resistance is going to feel a lot different than pedaling at 200 watts with 30 watts resistance. The faster you go the less the ratio between the two numbers would change. I don't know, I'm just guessing at what would you could be feeling to come away with that assessment, because certainly you're feeling something in the pedals. But nevertheless, the amount of resistance provided by that trainer isn't going to appreciably change in relation to wheel speed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you're pedaling at 50w, there has to be 50w of resistance, what with the laws of physics existing and all that.

But anyway yeah if a trainer can only generate a certain amount of resistance once you get there that's it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah looks like I would need something with a steeper curve or a non-linear curve https://saris.com/blogs/saris-blog/blog-15-cycleops-science-resistance-curves. What I've got can still work for tempo intensity and lower.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

brand engager posted:

Yeah looks like I would need something with a steeper curve or a non-linear curve https://saris.com/blogs/saris-blog/blog-15-cycleops-science-resistance-curves. What I've got can still work for tempo intensity and lower.
Couple years ago it was that you could find a Kurt Kinetic used for a song. Those things are built like tanks and last forever. That's the route I'd recommend if you were going to stick with a dumb trainer. Even better if you can find one with the extra flywheel weight.

Edit: yep, there's one selling near me for $100 right now. Probably the upper limit of what I'd spend.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 10, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone with a stages figured out how to get another one of the little bent hex wrenches you can use to get on/off pedals despite the minimal clearance? I have misplaced the one which came with my stages, and that is the only way to get these pedals on/off unfortunately.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tildes posted:

Has anyone with a stages figured out how to get another one of the little bent hex wrenches you can use to get on/off pedals despite the minimal clearance? I have misplaced the one which came with my stages, and that is the only way to get these pedals on/off unfortunately.

I assume there’s no pedal wrench flats on the pedals?

Otherwise any low profile hex in whatever size you need (6 or 8mm) will work. You could also cut one down if you have an extra.

TITAN TIT12738 9 Piece Metric Low Profile Hex Key Set https://a.co/d/9AMV19x

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I assume there’s no pedal wrench flats on the pedals?

Otherwise any low profile hex in whatever size you need (6 or 8mm) will work. You could also cut one down if you have an extra.

TITAN TIT12738 9 Piece Metric Low Profile Hex Key Set https://a.co/d/9AMV19x

Ah, thank you - low profile was the word I was missing. And yeah, no pedal wrench flats but it looks like one of these should work perfectly.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Garmin has two of their direct drive trainers on sale, "neo 2t" and "flux 2".

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

ERG/target power mode needs like a speed cutoff so i'm not trying to do 200W at 30rpm cadence because I stopped for a second.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

brand engager posted:

ERG/target power mode needs like a speed cutoff so i'm not trying to do 200W at 30rpm cadence because I stopped for a second.

INCREASE CADENCE
REDUCE POWER

I'd loving love to zwift.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The real solution is to try and not use ERG mode. There are work outs where it is great/fine but most of the time I’d prefer to do it myself. Often easier and lets you use RPE to gauge effort along with the power numbers.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

The real solution is to try and not use ERG mode. There are work outs where it is great/fine but most of the time I’d prefer to do it myself. Often easier and lets you use RPE to gauge effort along with the power numbers.

I don't think it's possible to when the workout steps have a power target, it'll switch when the next step starts.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

brand engager posted:

I don't think it's possible to when the workout steps have a power target, it'll switch when the next step starts.

You can toggle off ERG mode at any time within a workout (on most apps) or simply not pair your resistance controller at all beforehand.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe that's a different device setup that has that option. I'm using my bike computer to control it and there's only target power, grade, and fixed resistance modes. There's no toggle to not use target power when the workout step has a power target. If it's not paired at all I won't be able to change any settings on the trainer.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

brand engager posted:

Maybe that's a different device setup that has that option. I'm using my bike computer to control it and there's only target power, grade, and fixed resistance modes. There's no toggle to not use target power when the workout step has a power target. If it's not paired at all I won't be able to change any settings on the trainer.

What computer is this? With a Garmin you can simply “disconnect” your trainer.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

TobinHatesYou posted:

What computer is this? With a Garmin you can simply “disconnect” your trainer.

It's an 840. So what I think you're suggesting is setting it up before the ride and disconnecting so the workout doesn't put it back into target power. I think that would work.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

brand engager posted:

It's an 840. So what I think you're suggesting is setting it up before the ride and disconnecting so the workout doesn't put it back into target power. I think that would work.

You can pair your trainer as a power source, not as a trainer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I would assume there is still some way to turn off erg mode and then ride to a target power with the trainer providing a set/adjustable resistance like in zwift and such.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The newest kickr model has this exact functionally in it. I remember reading about it in a rainmaker post.
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/indoor-cycling/bike-trainers/kickr-buy

quote:

NEW - ERG Easy Ramp gets you back in action

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You can use an electronic trainer not in Erg mode!?

:v:

Maybe I'm missing something but tbqh I love erg mode.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I turned it off this spring for maximum adaptations :goonsay:

In all seriousness, disabling ERG took some getting used to but it has helped with putting out a more even wattage outdoors

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Erg is great since my trainer bike is an old bianchi with 3x8 and it really struggles to shift into the small chainring. But it's also shifty when erg mode freaks out and can't drop the resistance for the rest period after some high ftp vo2 max interval and I'm stuck doing 300watts until it decides its done.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
My older Bkool Go trainer started making some weird noises, and it wasn't measuring correctly. It only showed 50-60 Watts no matter the effort.

So I took the cover off, and the nut and bolt that held the roller on had almost come undone :iiam:

Anyway, I am now a hometrainer repairman and everything works after I tightened it up again.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The weather's gone to poo poo and I'm about to have much less free time so I threw one of my bikes on the turbo and tried out Zwift today.

Pleasantly surprised at how much (relatively speaking) I enjoyed listening to podcasts and riding on Zwift compared to my previous turbo attempts of riding to just a power target and watching YouTube/TV.

I mean it makes sense that it's popular for a reason but somehow I resisted trying it out even though I like when Number Go Up (and there's so many numbers here!)

In about 50 trainer rides this was the first time I went for more than an hour - and definitely could have gone longer had I known better what to expect and how to pace myself for Zwift.

I'm sure the ANC from the earbuds helped a lot as well, as a big fan + Tacx Flux S + lovely 3x9 Altus drivetrain combines for quite the racket.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Rode up Alpe du Zwift today for the first time, that was fun.

~3.2 W/kg, happy with that.

For Zwift in general, the main thing I'm finding annoying is getting the gearing right.
I've got a hybrid bike on the turbo and it has 3x9 with 48/36/26 x 11-32 gears which means that on flats (not to mention downhills) I'm always in the big ring and usually on the 5th or 6th gear when aiming at about 90 RPM and 200 or so watts - and this is at the Zwift "difficulty" set to like 5%, otherwise it's even worse on the downhills. For the Alpe climb I had it at like 40% so I could keep the cassette in the middle three and either spin on the small ring or push myself in the middle ring when going up, switching to the big ring for the hairpins (and still having to really spin that thing to get power out at those hairpins)
Looking around on the Zwift forums and reddit I'm definitely not the first one to run into this annoyance, so a bit of a bummer that Zwift seemingly isn't interested in adding something like "change baseline resistance" to their options.
I did find this QZ app thing that supposedly lets you do just that, but unfortunately it didn't seem to support my Tacx Flux S off the bat (though the developer seems pretty active so I should bite the bullet and ask them)

The obvious "solution" is "just" getting a cheap road bike to stick on the trainer...

Otherwise I'm just happy that indoor riding is now much more tolerable to me :) Last year I rode outside all through the winter (meaning ice & snow) but I just started at a new job and have less spare time, so getting an efficient workout done on the turbo is great.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's fast!

With the "new" Zwift Hub having virtual gearing, it's pretty likely that most other trainers will follow suit and start supporting it (in Zwift, at least) in time. That solves pretty much all gearing issues IME.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I have an original hub so I ordered the upgrade kit to get the virtual shifting stuff. Should be nice for this winter season.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Angryhead posted:

~3.2 W/kg, happy with that.

For Zwift in general, the main thing I'm finding annoying is getting the gearing right.
I've got a hybrid bike on the turbo and it has 3x9 with 48/36/26 x 11-32 gears which means that on flats (not to mention downhills) I'm always in the big ring and usually on the 5th or 6th gear when aiming at about 90 RPM and 200 or so watts - and this is at the Zwift "difficulty" set to like 5%, otherwise it's even worse on the downhills. For the Alpe climb I had it at like 40% so I could keep the cassette in the middle three and either spin on the small ring or push myself in the middle ring when going up, switching to the big ring for the hairpins (and still having to really spin that thing to get power out at those hairpins)
Looking around on the Zwift forums and reddit I'm definitely not the first one to run into this annoyance, so a bit of a bummer that Zwift seemingly isn't interested in adding something like "change baseline resistance" to their options.
I did find this QZ app thing that supposedly lets you do just that, but unfortunately it didn't seem to support my Tacx Flux S off the bat (though the developer seems pretty active so I should bite the bullet and ask them)

The obvious "solution" is "just" getting a cheap road bike to stick on the trainer...

Otherwise I'm just happy that indoor riding is now much more tolerable to me :) Last year I rode outside all through the winter (meaning ice & snow) but I just started at a new job and have less spare time, so getting an efficient workout done on the turbo is great.

Does the Tacx app let you adjust the wheel diameter? Yeah I know it’s wheel off, but this is a common issue on Kickrs that you can fix by maxing out the wheel diameter in the app.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Most post seem to be about Zwift.

However, does anyone have a Peloton Bike or Bike+?

I’m thinking of getting a Bike+ and would like to know what others think and if the workouts are beginner friendly.

I’ve never thought of myself as someone who would enjoy a class with an instructor but lots of people seem to love it on the Peloton app.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Does the Tacx app let you adjust the wheel diameter? Yeah I know it’s wheel off, but this is a common issue on Kickrs that you can fix by maxing out the wheel diameter in the app.
Yeah there's an option like that in the Tacx settings, but unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference (though I only had time for a quick test)
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hypnolobster posted:

With the "new" Zwift Hub having virtual gearing, it's pretty likely that most other trainers will follow suit and start supporting it (in Zwift, at least) in time. That solves pretty much all gearing issues IME.
Yeah, that'd be great... here's hoping.

e:

Angryhead posted:

Well gently caress me! [positive]
E-mailed the developer two hours ago, got instructed to download Nrf Connect to get some info on the trainer, sent him some screenshots, got invited to TestFlight builds, did some configuring and restarting of the app & Zwift and as a result: does exactly what was needed, i.e. using about the same gears as I usually would outside on flat roads on that bike and putting out the appropriate amount of watts! :)

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 22, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Noam Chomsky posted:

Most post seem to be about Zwift.

However, does anyone have a Peloton Bike or Bike+?

I’m thinking of getting a Bike+ and would like to know what others think and if the workouts are beginner friendly.

I’ve never thought of myself as someone who would enjoy a class with an instructor but lots of people seem to love it on the Peloton app.

My wife bought a Peloton right before Covid. I was super skeptical but ended up using it pretty heavily (ie, 5-7x/week) for 3 years. It introduced me to training with power on an indoor bike, which I'd never done before. I ended up taking almost all of my classes with Matt Wilpers, who is pretty big on power-based training. Zero regrets, but I've since moved on to a Kickr Bike/Trainer Road/Zwift which allows me to be more serious with my training.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Residency Evil posted:

My wife bought a Peloton right before Covid. I was super skeptical but ended up using it pretty heavily (ie, 5-7x/week) for 3 years. It introduced me to training with power on an indoor bike, which I'd never done before. I ended up taking almost all of my classes with Matt Wilpers, who is pretty big on power-based training. Zero regrets, but I've since moved on to a Kickr Bike/Trainer Road/Zwift which allows me to be more serious with my training.

Thanks! Glad to hear you were skeptical but ended up really liking it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hypnolobster posted:

That's fast!

One thing to point out is 90rpm on 52x11 or 36x32 doesn't feel like 90rpm on 52x14. The flywheel speeds will differ, and so will the feeling of momentum. Basically it will always feel like you are riding on a flat road and each shift changes the strength of the headwind/tailwind.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, similar deal. Bought my wife a Peloton and ended up using it way more than her. The Power Zone classes are great. And stacking classes, mentally, works really well for me. I'd do a warmup class, PZ class, or two, cooldown and a stretch.

I'd consider a smart trainer and Zwift, or whatever, but I'm able to ride outside year around. Peloton is just supplemental during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

dema posted:

I'd consider a smart trainer and Zwift, or whatever, but I'm able to ride outside year around. Peloton is just supplemental during the winter.

This is a large part of why a smart trainer & an app is far better value for real world cyclists, they’re a bunch cheaper and you can cancel when spring comes, no long contract.