Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

maruhkati posted:

Wrestling fandom is a large niche, but it remains a niche because most of the people outside of it aren't even curious.

If you were to survey 100 random people to name as many active wrestlers as they could, I'd be deeply surprised if more than like 15 named Roman Reigns. (And I'm estimating high - 15 is a lot for a wrestler who isn't in movies!)

Prior to getting back into wrestling after a 20 year hiatus, I would have said Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, Edge, and Rhonda Rousey from Wwe

AEW I knew Jarrett, Matt Hardy, Jericho and Sting.

That’s not to say I didn’t know a lot more but I legitimately thought Rey had retired and Jeff hardy was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

shiksa posted:

rhea Ripley is no joke prob the active wrestler i hear get mentioned most by non wrestling fans

Vince will fix that soon enough here

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

thank you. its even better than I remembered. completely forgot about the slow zoom in as the moment approaches.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pillowpants posted:

Prior to getting back into wrestling after a 20 year hiatus, I would have said Cody Rhodes, Kofi Kingston, Edge, and Rhonda Rousey from Wwe

AEW I knew Jarrett, Matt Hardy, Jericho and Sting.

That’s not to say I didn’t know a lot more but I legitimately thought Rey had retired and Jeff hardy was dead.

How were you aware of Cody and Kofi?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eat My Fuc posted:

She kicks rear end looks cool as gently caress and cuts great promos plus runs with a hot faction. Rhea is the poo poo, love Mami.

and her new haircut kicks rear end too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

She kicks rear end looks cool as gently caress and cuts great promos plus runs with a hot faction. Rhea is the poo poo, love Mami.

she is easily the coolest person in the wwe right now.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It feels the forum was very cold on Rhea for a while but has turned around on her. Plus it felt like a lot of people wrote her off when that clip of her using some homophobic slur(s) dropped a while back (which I think she since apologized for?).

Is it just The Judgement Day/Dom stuff that has given her a boost? I always liked her in NXT and even thought she was pretty good in the Mae Young tournament but then stopped watching any WWE stuff so I'm not sure how popular she's been over the years to the overall fanbase.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont regularly watch the show she just looks cool, was very good in the womens royal rumble, and had a pretty good match at mania.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I am suing the WWE for not letting me meet Alexa Bliss read about it on PWInsider

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

It feels the forum was very cold on Rhea for a while but has turned around on her. Plus it felt like a lot of people wrote her off when that clip of her using some homophobic slur(s) dropped a while back (which I think she since apologized for?).

Is it just The Judgement Day/Dom stuff that has given her a boost? I always liked her in NXT and even thought she was pretty good in the Mae Young tournament but then stopped watching any WWE stuff so I'm not sure how popular she's been over the years to the overall fanbase.

Yeah she apologized for that.

I think the Judgement Day stuff has helped, yeah. She's always been around the main event level, but sort of dropped out and then was put into the tag team limbo. I think her current run probably started from that though, when she turned on Liv Morgan and went heel. She was then getting built back up, and then getting put in Judgement Day and around the main event with the others really helped. Plus she has a cool unique look, is a great wrestler, can do impressive power moves and they showed her being able to do that with men, and the Wrestlemania match sort of cemented her as one of their top stars.

Then you have her popularity on Instagram where everyone is thirsty as hell for her and there's a different sort of fanbase.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It wasn't a very good apology though unless she apologized a second time in a better way

https://twitter.com/RheaRipley_WWE/status/1121283042415403010

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t that when Mansoor was doing his streaming thing where he’d just get people to say the most heinous poo poo and talk about being redpilled because he’s literally a dipshit 4channer?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kennel posted:

How were you aware of Cody and Kofi?

My son watched the Go Big Show and I went to HS with Kofi.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

post hole digger posted:

she is easily the coolest person in the wwe right now.

For now

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Just lmao if you don’t have a dommy mommy

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pillowpants posted:

My son watched the Go Big Show and I went to HS with Kofi.

liar, nobody watched go big show

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
horniness cures all

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Just lmao if you don’t have a dommy mommy

*dommy mami

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It should’ve been called the No More B.S Paul Wight Show if they wanted good ratings

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Daijak: The Devil's Hall Monitor

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvviggoMsjk/

Seems Rhea and Buddy are engaged

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

shiksa posted:

rhea Ripley is no joke prob the active wrestler i hear get mentioned most by non wrestling fans

This I agree with anecdotally. She's over with the Zoomers to an insane degree and she crosses over pop culture. She's kind of hard to forget with her look and personality.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Fun fact: I only found out about Kofi because I ran into an old friend and he was telling me about how one of our classmates is a famous actor so I googled our town

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
countdown to rhea getting burried and taken off TV because vince is mad he can't make his Dom and Rhea dolls play together anymore

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Big Match-rimony Buddy.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

That's not true, I definitely saw a guy whose talent was getting hit in the balls over and over again on Go Big Show

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Roman opens the show but then the entire rest of the show happens while he’s making his way to ringside

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ganso Bomb posted:

The main problem Rhea had imo is that the later period of her NXT run was her spinning her wheels waiting for WWE to want her on the main roster, and when she was finally called up she immediately realized they had nothing for her to do and it felt like she was regressing because she had no reason to give a poo poo. The stuff with Dom and Judgement Day is popular, but people also just look better when they're doing things they seem to care about.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I asked my wife if she could name a wrestler and she said Sheamus. She couldn’t name anyone else.

My wife said The Miz.

I actually would bet that more people know The Miz than Roman Reigns purely from Dancing the the Stars. My wife only remembers Miz because he was on Real World. At least she knows Rock is not an active wrestler.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My mum said "Rikidozan, Giant Baba and Antonio Inoki."

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

My wife said “Luke Perry’s son” then eventually got to Jack perry. She also said Ronda rousey and John Cena.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't know anyone. except you. you can name them all. let's all go in turns naming every wrestler. Scott taylor

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Arnold Palmer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Arnold Pal… wait poo poo. gently caress!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I think there are a few criteria that have to be met in order for a wrestler to be known by the mainstream public:

1. You have to be charismatic. Bret Hart may be The Best There Is...etc. but being a mat technician doesn't appeal to the mainstream, they want the proverbial sizzle even if the food is otherwise inedible.

2. You have to be in a film (or TV) mainstream people love. Hulk being in Rocky III absolutely helped him though his future celluloid works weren't good. A good chunk of Andre's popularity is tied to The Princess Bride. Archival footage of Macho Man wasn't just randomly added to the Slim Jim commercial at Summerslam. Unfortunately for Piper, They Live is a cult film at best.

3. You have to be a public babyface. The public won't know your gimmick or motivations for feuds. They can separate the role from a actor to a point but they won't support you unless you give them a valid reason (see #1).

Regarding All Rhodes lead to Roman, Cody has 3 down but Go Big was likely seen as a knockoff of the Got Talent franchise at best and despite wrestling with a torn pec, he doesn't seem to have gotten the mainstream public attention Vince craves.

Roman appeared in a minor role of a spinoff (therefore minor work) of a franchise his cousin isn't a core character of, not a good way of brand building. It baffles me why WWE bet their horses on a heel Roman outside of sunk costs because his character (NOT to be confused with the man) is meant to be knocked off at some point and keeping the belt on him this long is the same mistake WCW did and the opposite reason why people follow WWE in the first place.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Bret Hart was in an episode of The Simpsons

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Grem posted:

Bret Hart was in an episode of The Simpsons

Who hasn't been in an episode of the Simpsons?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Codependent Poster posted:

Roman Reigns

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cody Rhodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Literally all other wrestlers besides Bret Hart