Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Arcade CAS is in a very weird place where it can be as described, but then also you do it and get a fighter or two basically spawning in gun range off the bat and just die without having a chance to let loose the bombs anywhere close to other players.

Also M53/59 Russian 6.0 is the best AA I've used so far by a considerable margin at this BR and below. I've swatted more planes out of the sky than all other AA I've tried combined (German, Russian, American, bit of Brit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, Vietnam is not total poo poo now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

38th parallel will always be the worst map ever.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Nfcknblvbl posted:

38th parallel will always be the worst map ever.

Yeah, that map sucks rear end.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Justin Credible posted:

Also M53/59 Russian 6.0 is the best AA I've used so far by a considerable margin at this BR and below. I've swatted more planes out of the sky than all other AA I've tried combined (German, Russian, American, bit of Brit).

The Italian r3 T20 cyber truck’s meme reputation is as a tank destroyer but it’s a very effective AA at 5.7 as well, being fast and tiny let’s you position it in places that CAS isn’t expecting fire to come from.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

The Italian r3 T20 cyber truck’s meme reputation is as a tank destroyer but it’s a very effective AA at 5.7 as well, being fast and tiny let’s you position it in places that CAS isn’t expecting fire to come from.

Remember when it used to be like 3.3

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Nice, I have like nothing unlocked on Italy though, haha. Like any true WT player I completely swear off the game for long periods of time in between playing it daily.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Farecoal posted:

Remember when it used to be like 3.3

I can only imagine how salty that made players...

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Are people just pretending that the AIM-54 doesn't exist? I've been grinding the air event way faster that I thought was possible because I always seem to get at least 1 kill from a volley of 4 AIM-54s. Initially I was hoping to catch some bots, but everyone seems perfectly content to just let the missile hit them.

I'm not getting them shot at me much any more, but I remember them being real easy to notch or even flat out dodge. What the heck happened?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pubby lore is that the phoenix is bad (they are stupid)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Me driving up a hill using cruise control in my doom turtle.

wrrrrrrrrr

QUICKER

wrrrrrrrr

FASTER!

Wrrrrrr

QUICKER!

OMG, how do i get that guy to shut the gently caress up. Jesus.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If anyone has trouble with ground tasks or events I can heartily recommend French 4.0. Start with the AMX-13 FL11, and you get a nice selection of 3.7s to back it up with. Can get the AMX-13 M24 and French Thunderbolt for CAS if you want to add some premium flair for extra earnings in. If you die and have to spawn something else in the first place, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VlmVz8ua40

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there a most "efficient" way to complete the Summer Event tasks? It looks like naval has the highest score multiplier but maybe the mission scoring works differently.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Naval gameplay is slower, generally, but you can cheese the higher multipliers by playing at high tier but dense gameplay with high tier coastals if you've go them. That said the air, ground, and naval marks of distinction are completely separate tracks so naval's multipliers only count towards the naval rewards.

My advice would be to play whatever you feel comfortable doing a whole bunch of. High tier might have great multipliers, and a lot of the time I'm game for playing exclusively up there, but sometimes it gets tiring and I find it easier to take out the above-mentioned 4.0 France lineup or fly out the A7M1 and get into furballs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I decided to skip the event this time. And the battlepass. Neither has rewards that are exciting me, and if you're not feeling it it seems like a great way to burn out entirely.

To be honest, seeing that there are tanks in the gamble boxes that I desperately would love to have has had the opposite effect to what Gaijin wanted. Not only am I not falling into the trap of engaging with the gambling, it's turning me off playing the game in general.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I have no desire to grind for the high tier stuff but I do want the dumb little German car

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've never gotten any event vehicle before but I'll probably try to get this one as I'm grinding sweden tier 6 anyway and you get it just by playing normally.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Object 279 owns

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Captain Stalin posted:

Are people just pretending that the AIM-54 doesn't exist? I've been grinding the air event way faster that I thought was possible because I always seem to get at least 1 kill from a volley of 4 AIM-54s. Initially I was hoping to catch some bots, but everyone seems perfectly content to just let the missile hit them.

I'm not getting them shot at me much any more, but I remember them being real easy to notch or even flat out dodge. What the heck happened?

The meta shift doesn't reward bringing them. At top tier, everyone is on the deck and few are bombing, and players are using terrain to mask their approaches way more (then say, at 10.0). Since your Phoenixes aren't likely to get kills except by dumb luck, it's hard to justify bringing them over 4 aim7s and 4 aim9s.

I think I was averaging a kill every 4 missiles or so back when the 14b came out, but compared to 27ERs, 7Ms, or IR missiles like the 27T or Python3, they are just way less effective on a missile by missile basis.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

marxismftw posted:

The meta shift doesn't reward bringing them. At top tier, everyone is on the deck and few are bombing, and players are using terrain to mask their approaches way more (then say, at 10.0). Since your Phoenixes aren't likely to get kills except by dumb luck, it's hard to justify bringing them over 4 aim7s and 4 aim9s.

I think I was averaging a kill every 4 missiles or so back when the 14b came out, but compared to 27ERs, 7Ms, or IR missiles like the 27T or Python3, they are just way less effective on a missile by missile basis.

Also the Phoenix wasn't designed to be all that manouverable, it was designed to be launched by F-14 Tomcats at soviet heavy bombers over 100 miles from the fleet, or at cruise missiles that did not try any evasive manouvers. It was launched, used up all its rocket propellant in a few seconds as it climbed to 120K and glided the hundred or so miles to the target.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Stalin posted:

I can get one kill per missile, nearly every missile, with AIM-7M. Why would I ever use AIM-54?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I really wish the M18 had a stabilizer

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
The m18 is one of those tanks everyone else does well with and I suck at, I need to practice because I like speedy bois.

I unlocked the char 25t and it’s great, fast enough and about an inch high with a good cannon. Full speed reverse is actually game changing in a sneaky tank, you can be back in cover so fast.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

M18 is my bread and butter in Arcade ground.

Amazing mobility, great gun. Shame it's open canopy.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Three games in a row with no kills :nsa:

Four now

Six games. So sick of Panthers and Tigers magically absorbing every shell

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 16, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

probably the dumbest players in war thunder are the people that spawn fighters, and then mindlessly ground strafe at low speed and then get killed by like fully loaded P-47s

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kesper North posted:

I can get one kill per missile, nearly every missile, with AIM-7M. Why would I ever use AIM-54?

Because it's hilarious. :colbert:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Because it's hilarious. :colbert:

People lose their loving minds when I get twelve kills in a match. That's way more hilarious

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

THANKS GAIJIN

https://i.imgur.com/mgkQxKI.mp4

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Kesper North posted:

People lose their loving minds when I get twelve kills in a match. That's way more hilarious

silence, arcade player

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Pfft, you're missing out, I'm tellin' you

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Farecoal posted:

Three games in a row with no kills :nsa:

Four now

Six games. So sick of Panthers and Tigers magically absorbing every shell

:hai: I go through cycles with this, especially as I break into a new rank. Try switching to APCR and focusing on killing the gun+gunner. You''ll be facing some flavor of Tiger from BR 4.0 through 8.0 :shepicide:

I came back to this after building a new computer and sorta struggled with it, but the last few weeks have been fantastic. Playing Ground RB with US BR 7.7 is hard but also a lot of fun? Bringing a jet to Ground RB is fun, and the radar tracking on the M163 is awesome.

However the Turm 3 is a blight upon society and anyone on the enemy team driving one can go gently caress themselves. :colbert:

EDIT

shout out to my boy M50 Ontos. Being able to scout and also panic-click delete an IS-6 is simply :discourse:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kesper North posted:

Pfft, you're missing out, I'm tellin' you

We're not. Arcade tanks is a bad mode. In RB, you can get a surprising amount of kills simply by turning your engine off, and wait for enemies to drive right by you. It's great.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: I go through cycles with this, especially as I break into a new rank. Try switching to APCR and focusing on killing the gun+gunner. You''ll be facing some flavor of Tiger from BR 4.0 through 8.0 :shepicide:

I came back to this after building a new computer and sorta struggled with it, but the last few weeks have been fantastic. Playing Ground RB with US BR 7.7 is hard but also a lot of fun? Bringing a jet to Ground RB is fun, and the radar tracking on the M163 is awesome.

However the Turm 3 is a blight upon society and anyone on the enemy team driving one can go gently caress themselves. :colbert:

EDIT

shout out to my boy M50 Ontos. Being able to scout and also panic-click delete an IS-6 is simply :discourse:

To add on to this, for sure view the Tigers, Panthers, T-34s and IS lines in the hanger, switch to armor view and then do the balistics test with your tank. There is a button that lets you see where you are likely to penetrate with the selected tank and ammo by shading that area green. Make sure to set your range at a likely engagement distance, or by default 500m.

Also, look at the enemy tanks in x-ray view to see where to specifically aim for when doing side shots. A lot of tanks if you shoot right about the 2nd or 3rd bogie wheel you are likely going to get an ammo explosion.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I still feel kinda embarrassed that I played quite a few arcade matches when starting out

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If nothing else, Arcade teaches you to estimate lead when shooting at planes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I still feel kinda embarrassed that I played quite a few arcade matches when starting out

No, don't be! Arcade is good for letting you get a handle on the basic mechanics by simplifying the actual combat, which is one of the most complex systems in the game. I also played a lot of AB when starting out.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Solumin posted:

No, don't be! Arcade is good for letting you get a handle on the basic mechanics by simplifying the actual combat, which is one of the most complex systems in the game. I also played a lot of AB when starting out.

AB also frustrated the poo poo out of me when i'd get zapped about 2 seconds after popping out from cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Getting 1.0 RB matches can be a bitch, too. AB almost always has matches down there.