Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

glwgameplayer posted:

(I don’t know how healing works in Tabletop world, but in the computer game a single plot hit puts you out of commission for anywhere between a little more than a week, and nearly a month)

The default MekHQ healing rate is pretty generous, so Stephanie will probably be out of the medbay in about a week. There's an optional rule that makes healing take much longer, but I'm not using it, mostly because I don't want a situation to arise where a player has to use a pilot with a pre-existing injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sterling and sable's healthcare plan does not cover pre-existing injuries

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

biosterous posted:

also voting for the player Hunchback and enemy Trebuchet, both for being pretty dang scary

i also vote to give Harathi a voucher for a week at a nice vacation spa place or something, Harathi needs a break! i forget where we are on the map, guessing canopus is probably too far, but i'm sure there's some place closer

e: we are on castor, neat

Did the planet have a lot of oil?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Great game everybody, had a lot of fun. I'd say the MVP winners are clear, but I would like to give a shoutout to the Firestarter who persevered against the pain of being a light brawler that always lost initiative and managed to at least inconvenience us a couple times.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Great game everybody, had a lot of fun. I'd say the MVP winners are clear, but I would like to give a shoutout to the Firestarter who persevered against the pain of being a light brawler that always lost initiative and managed to at least inconvenience us a couple times.

he was the only one that completed his objective even!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Firestarters are excellent mechs as well so if we can get ahold of it, it would be a nice addition to our Light lance.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Koorisch posted:

This map is closer to the time we're at, that map you found is from the far future.

The 2nd Donegal Guards are right next door to you at the moment.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

The default MekHQ healing rate is pretty generous, so Stephanie will probably be out of the medbay in about a week. There's an optional rule that makes healing take much longer, but I'm not using it, mostly because I don't want a situation to arise where a player has to use a pilot with a pre-existing injury.

It’s one of those things where it makes sense that a Mechwarrior could be injured for months at a time after taking a heavy hit. Even with the advanced tech there’s only so fast a broken arm can be healed, or a prosthetic can be attached, god forbid you throw in internal injuries or coolant poisoning

But on the other hand it would be really lame if we filled up the medbay due to raw attrition and had to take a few weeks off just to heal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

glwgameplayer posted:

It’s one of those things where it makes sense that a Mechwarrior could be injured for months at a time after taking a heavy hit. Even with the advanced tech there’s only so fast a broken arm can be healed, or a prosthetic can be attached, god forbid you throw in internal injuries or coolant poisoning

But on the other hand it would be really lame if we filled up the medbay due to raw attrition and had to take a few weeks off just to heal.

Eh, the healing rate has a caveat too: It's largely based on how many wounds you took. One or two hits and you're likely to end up with a scratched abdomen that heals quick. I had a pilot take 5 and not die and he was out for 180 days with multiple broken limbs

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: After Action Report

The third mission was the longest so far, but once again the company has emerged victorious.

Sam Kost and his techs are extremely grateful to the players this time around, since the only thing they need to replace is armour and some ammunition. Stephanie will need to spend a short time in the infirmary, but a single pilot hit is nothing at all to worry about.

There are quite a few kills I had to manually assign this time. Preston wound up killing himself so I’m happy to leave that as ‘None’. Ditto Harathi, since he ejected manually at the end. I’m giving the Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) and Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) to Stephanie thanks to the fuel explosion and crippling the latter’s engine. The Phoenix Hawk was a team effort, but the Hunchback did most of the heavy lifting, so I’m crediting the kill to Louis. The Firestarter is trickier; Stephanie’s LRMs scored the Gyro crit that grounded it, but it was the threat of the Warhammer that caused the pilot to eject. Sterling didn’t officially score a kill this mission, so I’ve given it to him, although I’m willing to change my mind if anyone objects.

Annoyingly, MegaMek has screwed up again and assumed that William Harris is in retreat, so he doesn’t show up here. Not to worry, I can simply will him back into existence via MekHQ’s GM powers. Other than that we’ve captured every mechwarrior except the deceased Preston and even some of the vehicle crews. If you're wondering why there are so many unfamiliar names assigned to the tanks, that's because MegaMek only lets me name the vehicle commander. Other crewmen are randomly generated.

Saving the salvage quota for this mission seems to have been the right choice, since there’s some pretty nice stuff in here.

This is a pretty decent haul, but there are some caveats. All of the mechs have suffered damage to their core components, which inflates the cost of repairing them massively. Cockpits alone cost 200,000 C-Bills to replace, and since ejecting (almost) always destroys the cockpit that usually means you’re paying that much to repair a unit at minimum. The poor Firestarter is particularly unlucky in this regard, with a destroyed cockpit and damage to both its Engine and Gyro, which are also very expensive to fix, plus all of the weapons it lost. Funnily enough, the Trebuchet is actually cheaper to get running again despite losing its Engine, since both its Cockpit and Gyro are intact.

It's not all bad news, however. The Phoenix Hawk is in pretty good shape and can be repaired quickly and cheaply. The vehicles can be salvaged almost for free, and their weapons and armour can be transplanted onto more valuable units. The Shadow Hawk we salvaged from the first mission is also still lying around, and can be sold to finance repairs should that prove desirable. It is also possible to mothball damaged mechs, so even if repairing them now is too expensive they can be placed into storage and fixed up later once the money / components are available.

--

Salvage Vote
Which units should Sterling and Sable salvage? Please indicate whether the units should be Repaired, Sold, or Stripped for parts. The company’s current salvage ratio is 22% / 60%.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My salvage votes:
  • Salvage all the tanks except the Scorpion and strip them for parts. Spare LLs/MLs are always handy to have around. That's 1% salvage value.
  • Salvage the Stinger and sell it. I'd love to keep the Firestarter but the cost of restoring it with our current funds doesn't seem worth it, and the Stinger is... a Stinger. That's 6% salvage value.
  • Salvage the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk and repair them. Both Mechs can be an upgrade to either Ruby or Sable Lance. That's 33% salvage value.

E: revised based on the feedback below

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 10, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Off the cuff, in terms of pure cbills
the stinger is worth +400k after repairs for 6%
the phoenix hawk is +1.378mil for 17% salvage
The trebuchet is +1.133mil for 16%
the firestarter is +166 for 8%

It would be over the salvage limit by 1% to grabthe stinger, phoenix hawk, and trebuchet.
IS that something that can be worked around?

plan a
Repair Phoenix hawk and Trebuchet (or repair one, mothball the other)
Strip the Goblin (spare large lasers are worth having and worth 100k) and
strip the medium and small lasers off the galleons, then sell the carcass
sell the firestarter, stinger, scorpion

I am not particularly invested in specific mechs, so feel free to take this and change it around. If you feel we need a firestarter on teh team, go for it!

Plan b
repair the phonix hawk, trebuchet, and stinger
strip the goblin for large laser, and the mediumsmall lasers of the Galleons, then sell the rest. (vehicle wrecks, firestarter, scorpion)

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 10, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

It would be over the salvage limit by 1% to grabthe stinger, phoenix hawk, and trebuchet.
IS that something that can be worked around?

If it's just 1% then it's something that can be worked around. It's basically a rounding error, and the planetary government is unlikely to quibble over it considering the fine job the company has done. Anything more than that will raise eyebrows however.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cool, thanks. Plan b it is then

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:
  • Salvage all the tanks and strip them for parts. Spare LLs/MLs are always handy to have around and the Scorpion tank's LRMs can be sold or used as spares for the Shadow Hawk. Total value of the tanks would be 130k so that leaves an even 5 million in Mech salvage left over.
  • Salvage the Firestarter and Stinger and sell them. I'd love to keep the Firestarter but the cost of restoring it with our current funds doesn't seem worth it, and the Stinger is... a Stinger.
  • Salvage the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk and repair them. Both Mechs can be an upgrade to either Ruby or Sable Lance.

Works for me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:
  • Salvage all the tanks and strip them for parts. Spare LLs/MLs are always handy to have around and the Scorpion tank's LRMs can be sold or used as spares for the Shadow Hawk. Total value of the tanks would be 130k so that leaves an even 5 million in Mech salvage left over.
  • Salvage the Firestarter and Stinger and sell them. I'd love to keep the Firestarter but the cost of restoring it with our current funds doesn't seem worth it, and the Stinger is... a Stinger.
  • Salvage the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk and repair them. Both Mechs can be an upgrade to either Ruby or Sable Lance.

I like this plan!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:

I'm fairly certain we can't do all of that. Our salvage percentage starts at 22%, so the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk (16% and 17% respectively) puts us at 55% from there the Stinger would put us at 61%, let alone the Firestarter.

Unless there's something about Salvage I'm unaware of

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:

Unfortunately you won't be able to salvage everything - doing so will push the salvage quota to 70% / 60%. Even with the added quota from last mission, you're going to have to leave something for the employer to take. Right now the company has 38% worth of quota to spend, and I have marked the % value of each unit on their salvage sheets.

Edit: glwgameplayer got there ahead of me.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, TheParadigm's Plan b seems good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm surprised the scorpion pilot didn't get vaporized.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Piell posted:

Yeah, TheParadigm's Plan b seems good

This also

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Unfortunately you won't be able to salvage everything - doing so will push the salvage quota to 70% / 60%. Even with the added quota from last mission, you're going to have to leave something for the employer to take. Right now the company has 38% worth of quota to spend, and I have marked the % value of each unit on their salvage sheets.

Edit: glwgameplayer got there ahead of me.

I revised my original vote to get us within 62% including the salvaged tanks, which is also the percentage TheParadigm's vote ends up in if my math is correct. Will that be acceptable from client perspective or is 61% the highest we can go?

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Aug 10, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm surprised the scorpion pilot didn't get vaporized.

He was saved by the autoeject system, which I now see that I forgot to mention in the update. He lived, but took two hits from the ammunition explosion.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

I revised my original vote to get us within 62% including the salvaged tanks. Will that be acceptable from client perspective or is 61% the highest we can go?

Well, it's the end of the first contract, so I'll let it slide just this once. Let's say a bottle of Sterling's Glengarry found its way to the Castor mercenary liaison and he was too drunk to notice the discrepancy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Well, it's the end of the first contract, so I'll let it slide just this once. Let's say a bottle of Sterling's Glengarry found its way to the Castor mercenary liaison and he was too drunk to notice the discrepancy.

Sweet. Archibald will play designated driver tonight to free up that extra bottle.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

• Salvage all the tanks except the Scorpion and strip them for parts. Spare LLs/MLs are always handy to have around. That's 1% salvage value.
  • Salvage the Stinger and sell it. I'd love to keep the Firestarter but the cost of restoring it with our current funds doesn't seem worth it, and the Stinger is... a Stinger. That's 6% salvage value.
  • Salvage the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk and repair them. Both Mechs can be an upgrade to either Ruby or Sable Lance. That's 33% salvage value.

Revised version. I agree. The extra lasers are always good to have since they're basically the cornerstone of mech combat. The Stinger is a dinky little scout mech that I think we can do without, but it'll be a nice cash injection. And the Trebuchet and Phoenix Hawk are both good mechs to have.

The repair costs on the Phoenix Hawk and Trebuchet are pretty high, the estimates put them in the realm of 600 thousand C bills. But the Stinger is only worth a little bit less than that, so it should pay for at least one of them by itself. Add on the actual money from the contract and the bonus for the intact dropship, and I think we're golden

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:

I agree with the updates

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've always been a fan of the mekhq option to pay for salvage overages. Made me feel less bad about grabbing that marauder that suddenly showed up in the last mission of a contract

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:

given the revision + Scintilla's feedback, i'm also voting for this. two nice mechs, some spare guns, and some more cash (to fix up the new mechs), heck yeah

e:

Azhais posted:

I've always been a fan of the mekhq option to pay for salvage overages. Made me feel less bad about grabbing that marauder that suddenly showed up in the last mission of a contract

:haibrower:

the mod that does the equivalent for mw5 is basically mandatory imo

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

anakha posted:

My salvage votes:

Voting this as well. With the PHX probably going to Ruby Lance as the new Lance command, that takes one LCT off the field as a spare. The TBT or SHD could replace the STG in Sable, whichever gets online first. So we can sell this junk STG as we'll end up with a working one soon enough.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Changing to Anakha's revision

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Good haul.

Love me some Phoenix Hawk.

I have a thing for a lot of the original Unseens. Probably because their designs came from really talented people.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The Phoenix Hawk is just a really solid mech, good mobility and weaponry makes it good at dealing with Light mechs, it's only big negative is it's base ten heat-sinks which means it's capable of overheating real easily, especially if you decide to jump and shoot.

In fact, if we're able to do any kind of refits, refitting the mech into a PXH-1D would probably be a good idea since that would help a bit while also getting rid of that pesky ammo.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Koorisch posted:

In fact, if we're able to do any kind of refits, refitting the mech into a PXH-1D would probably be a good idea since that would help a bit while also getting rid of that pesky ammo.

Refitting is absolutely possible. In fact the 1D refit is trivially easy and very quick by refit standards since all you’re doing is stripping out the machine guns and ammo and adding in a pair of heat sinks.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Refitting is absolutely possible. In fact the 1D refit is trivially easy and very quick by refit standards since all you’re doing is stripping out the machine guns and ammo and adding in a pair of heat sinks.

Yeah, would definitely vote for this refit once the option becomes available. Getting to jump 6 and backstab with the MLs (or jump 4 and snipe with the LL) all day is tailor-made for a recon/harasser lance leader.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

absolutely voting for stripping the MG+ammo during the repair process

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
The 1D Phawk is basically the Stinger but Better in Almost Every Way. The only advantage the Stinger has is the Rugged (1) quirk, which allows it to go longer between maintenance cycles. To make up for the lose of Rugged, the Phawk has Command 'Mech, Improved Communications, and Jettison-Capable Weapon (Large Laser), while not having the Stinger's terrible Cramped Cockpit flaw.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

biosterous posted:

absolutely voting for stripping the MG+ammo during the repair process

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
There's going to be some downtime between contracts, which should leave plenty of time for refits. Refitting will require one of our techs' undivided attention for the duration, and a bad roll at the end can extend the time needed to finish it, but everything should be ready before the start of the next mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
MVP Vote Results
Player MVP: Louis Belkof (Hunchback HBK-4G) (Player – Gwaihir). Gains 4XP!
OpFor MVP: Thabo Ngumo (Trebuchet TBT-5S)

Salvage Vote Results:
Stripped for Parts: Galleon GAL 100 x2, Goblin Medium Tank
Sold: Stinger STG-3R
Repair: Phoenix Hawk PXH-1, Trebuchet TBT-5S

--

Eliminate Preston’s Prowlers - Conclusion

April 15th, 3015 – Marik Militiaman, Downtown New Villastellone

“Clive! A round of UrbanMechs, if you please!” Roger Sterling cried, his sharp voice slicing through the bubbling chatter that permeated the bar. The bartender, a shaven-headed, broken-nosed bear of a man whose full name was Clive Thorssen, grinned and snatched up a bottle of schnapps.

“One round of UrbanMechs, coming right up!” he hollered, drawing a ragged cheer from the rest of the company.

Jenna Sable smiled to herself as she watched Clive and his staff quickly mix up twenty of the popular cocktails. Scoping out the bars in downtown New Villastellone had been an ongoing after-hours objective for the company, and after several weeks of exploration they had all concluded that the Marik Militiaman was by far the best of the bunch. It had a good selection of drinks, the prices were reasonable, and Clive was a gregarious and entertaining host. Even the Yeoung brothers, who had become somewhat infamous for their raucous and disruptive bar crawls, always kept their manners when visiting the Twins.

With all that in mind, it made perfect sense to hold the Sterling and Sable Company’s victory party at Clive’s establishment. Roger had asked Clive to close early so the company could have the whole bar to themselves, and the scrunch-faced proprietor had been only too happy to oblige. After all, a mercenary company who had just successfully concluded a contract was certain to have plenty of money to spend.

So far everyone looked like they were having a good time. Louis and Mike had monopolised the pool table and were lining up increasingly improbable trickshots in an escalating bout of one-upmanship. Charles was challenging the bar’s trivia machine and being force-fed shots of vodka by his audience of techs whenever he picked a wrong answer. Kai-xi had cleared a space in the main sitting area and was juggling combat knives to the amusement and horror of anyone who passed him by. Yukiko was brooding in a corner, but even she had been persuaded to take part in a short darts contest, which she had subsequently won handily.

As she took in the scenery, Jenna couldn’t help but feel impressed with the Militiaman’s décor. Clive came from a family of infantrymen, and the bar was filled with relics of their service. The walls were plastered with posters depicting faraway worlds that Clive and his ancestors had served on, including those as far away as Cascade and Hassad. Secure display cases containing medals and service booklets could be found scattered about, each with detailed notes explaining who they had belonged to. The bar itself was flanked by mannikins dressed in old uniforms, all aligned so that they were saluting the Marik flag emblazoned above the entrance. Most impressive of all was a menacing-looking mech component suspended above the main sitting area, its casing charred and blackened by whatever means had been used to blast it loose.

Jenna’s smile widened as she looked at the twisted hunk of machinery. On her first visit, she had asked Clive what it was, and he had launched into a gripping story about the time he had been on a duty tour in Zion Province. He claimed that his infantry platoon had fended off a Capellan Vindicator singlehandedly; that he had scaled the mech with his bare hands while his comrades distracted the pilot with smoke grenades; that he had placed a satchel charge on its right shoulder that had blown the mech’s arm clean off almost before he jumped clear; and that he had shipped the mangled PPC assembly back to Castor VI and hung it in the bar as a trophy.

It was all complete nonsense, of course. The lump of metal hanging from the ceiling might look vaguely weapon-like to an uninformed observer, but Jenna was familiar enough with battlemech weapons systems to know that it wasn’t a PPC. It wasn’t even a Large Laser. According to Sadanobu, it was actually part of the hydraulics assembly from a Powerman Industrialmech. Clive was definitely a former soldier - he had the scars and tattoos to prove it, and his service book was among those on display - but he was also a world-class yarn-spinner. That was fine, though. Clive might be a bullshitter, but he was an entertaining bullshitter, and nobody wanted to spoil the fun by publicly exposing his egregious falsehoods.

“Your father would’ve had my hide if I’d let you visit a place like this back home.”

Jenna glanced up to see Alexander leaning against the wall next to her. “Lucky we’re not back home, then.” She grinned, taking a sip of beer.

Alexander did not return her smile. The clarity of his gaze and the sharpness of his posture told Jenna that he hadn’t been drinking. His dark eyes scanned the premises, scouring the Militiaman for signs of danger in a manner that was all too familiar to her. He tensed and turned slightly as a raucous burst of laughter erupted from somewhere nearby, and Jenna briefly saw the butt of his Blazer Pistol jut out from inside his jacket.

“Seriously, Alex?” she asked, staring pointedly at the weapon. “This is a victory party, not a trip to the firing range.”

Alexander adjusted his jacket so that the pistol was no longer visible and sat down next to her. “Just being cautious.” He muttered.

Jenna raised an eyebrow. “Cautious of what? We’re all friends here.”

“Sterling’s sound. So are most of his men.” Alexander’s eyes flickered over to where Kai-xi and his brother were standing. “Others, not so much.”

A dejected sigh heaved its way up Jenna’s throat. She couldn’t fault Alexander for not liking the Yeoung brothers – she wasn’t particularly fond of them either – but they were talented mechwarriors, and hadn’t done anything that would justify bringing a hand cannon to a social gathering. More likely it was Alexander’s old bodyguard paranoia rearing its ugly head again. Jenna had hoped that the years of freedom would have broken his conditioning, but the instincts were clearly more deeply rooted than she had thought.

Suddenly, one of Clive’s waitresses appeared in Jenna’s peripheral vision. “UrbanMechs for you both,” she chirped, plucking two of the cocktails from her tray. Alexander accepted his without comment and immediately placed it on the counter. Jenna thanked the waitress and took the glass, giving the liquid inside a brief swirl before taking a sip. The UrbanMech was a basic cocktail, consisting of one part peach schnapps and one part orange juice. Like its namesake, it was simplistic and slow to act, but it got the job done.

As Clive’s staff moved through the bar distributing the cocktails to everyone present, Jenna turned her attention to Roger. The tall Lyran met her gaze, nodded once, then quickly made his way over to the rough centre of the premises. He waited until all of the cocktails had been distributed, then fished a pen out of his pocked and rapped it against his glass. The pure chime silenced the chatter and focused everyone’s attention on the Hauptmann.

“I see that most of us have already taken the first steps along the happy road to inebriation,” Roger grinned. “Alas, I must bring that joyful journey to a temporary halt. I have a few words to say to everyone, and would like to begin while everyone is still sober enough to comprehend them.

The past four months have been a tremendous success for our company. We have hit the ground running, and completed our first contract without any major setbacks. Our employer is delighted with our performance, our salvage has been plentiful, and our finances are stable. As thanks, I have included a small bonus in everyone’s pay packets for this month. Luckily for your livers, I don’t believe that any of you are boozy enough to spend it all here.”

“That’s what you think!” Samuel Kost shouted. Cheers and laughter erupted throughout the Militiaman. Roger smiled and waited for the din to subside before carrying on.

“Obviously, our mechwarriors deserve a cheer for their performance.” He paused, and the company promptly gave them one. “Nevertheless, we are merely the tip of the spear. Our technicians and support staff also worked exceptionally hard, putting in long hours to keep us in fighting form. I would like to thank Sam Kost and his team for looking after our battlemechs, Johann Schneider for his impeccable bookkeeping, and Dr Forsyth for piecing us back together whenever we were injured. I would also like to offer my commiserations to Sadanobu Muto, who is about to break his back pulling apart all the tanks we dragged back from our last engagement.”

Sadanobu’s face contorted in mock outrage. “I was promised a Star League Griffin!” He cried, falling to his knees in an overly dramatic fashion.

“If we ever find a Brian Cache, you’ll be the first to know,” Roger chuckled, then addressed the bar at large once again. “Like I said earlier, we’ve hit the ground running. Now we need to maintain our momentum.” His voice grew louder and more passionate. “We aren’t going to stumble and fall like so many other newly minted merc groups. We’re going to keep marching forwards! We might not be the Kell Hounds, or the Eridani Light Horse, or The Big MAC, but one day we’ll make a name for ourselves! Someday we’ll have our own DropShips, our own regimental command; hell, maybe even our own home planet! So, without further ado, I would like to propose a toast – to our future success!”

There was a brief silence, then a thunderous round of applause shook the building. “To our future!” Jenna cried, raising her glass alongside everyone else. Roger might seem like a sober, even phlegmatic individual, but a fire burned inside him, a passionate desire for independence and success that resonated not only with her but everyone else in the Sterling and Sable Company. A feeling of elation swept through the bar as everyone knocked their drinks back and toasted their future success, building into an emotional zeitgeist so strong that even Alexander couldn’t help but crack a smile and join in.

As the feeling faded and the members of the company began to drift back to their individual concerns, Jenna felt a surge of hope. They had not yet forged the close-knit bonds that tied people together and pointed them towards a common destiny. But they had made a start.

--

Personnel Vote

Nine of Josiah Preston’s mechwarriors were captured alive. They are due to be handed over to the Free Worlds League and will most likely be sentenced to death for their role in Anton Marik’s botched coup. This is all perfectly in accordance with the law, and there is no denying that many are wretched criminals who deserve to be punished. However, their misfortune could be the company’s opportunity. As the deadline approaches, Jenna Sable has suggested that some of the Prowlers might be rehabilitated and employed as reservists.

Below are all of the bios of the surviving Prowlers:

All would be willing to join the company if the offer is made, except for Thabo Ngumo and William Harris, who are too stubborn to accept. Please select up to two former Prowlers to recruit. You may also choose to recruit none if you feel that bringing former criminals and traitors on board is not a good idea.