Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The US is a blasted hellscape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Seriously, move to a real country. You''ll probably even increase your savings with the currency exchange.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Getting out before the US petrodollar collapses seems smart

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't blame anyone who leaves don't let people guilt trip you for it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Exactly, the game was lost well before the end of the century

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
The majority of America is pro-union, but also believes that those unions should never do or say anything lest it get in the way of the trickle-down economics that are certain to start taking effect any day now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Serak posted:

The majority of America is pro-union, but also believes that those unions should never do or say anything lest it get in the way of the trickle-down economics that are certain to start taking effect any day now

I think it's more that it's been like 50, 60 years since unions adopted the business/service model without the us left being able to meaningfully offer an alternative so ppl are broadly supportive of unions and the idea of militancy but nobody trains them in it or shows concrete examples of what victories w/ struggle look like.

The present growing volume of strikes across a wide variety of industries might be a turning point on this

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Abongination posted:

Seriously, move to a real country. You''ll probably even increase your savings with the currency exchange.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wonder what all the southern baptists would think of russian orthodox lmao

Hey y'all think you hate catholics, get a load'a these weirdos

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1980, 1984, and 2000.

I’m showing my tinfoil a bit but the election of nov 22 1963 was prob the turning point.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Serak posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

I wonder what all the southern baptists would think of russian orthodox lmao

Hey y'all think you hate catholics, get a load'a these weirdos

Theologically? They would see them as slightly better than Catholics (on the account of not recognising the Pope as the Vicar of Christ). Politically and ideologically? They'd love them. Although, if anything, I imagine, the biggest reason for an American christofascist not to move would be the lack of the second amendment rights, not fancy church services, sacramental theology, and ecclesial hierarchy.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't blame anyone who leaves don't let people guilt trip you for it

all true but it's still darkly funny that people think everyone is able to just move. Like, it's really obvious some people don't realise how lucky they are, or if it's pure hard work, they don't realise they've already won the rat race. I think the ones that can move but don't are actually the more annoying. Like I know a few people here in the UK that rightly hate it, have lots of money and skills, but absolutely refuse to get out. I wish they'd just give me all their money if they don't want to actually take advantage of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Proust Malone posted:

I’m showing my tinfoil a bit but the election of nov 22 1963 was prob the turning point.

:hmmyes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Theologically? They would see them as slightly better than Catholics (on the account of not recognising the Pope as the Vicar of Christ). Politically and ideologically? They'd love them. Although, if anything, I imagine, the biggest reason for an American christofascist not to move would be the lack of the second amendment rights, not fancy church services, sacramental theology, and ecclesial hierarchy.

They wear even weirder hats than catholics do, they'd hate them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I super don't think it would prevent them from moving there (or that they'd even consider it before moving there) but I do think once they were there they would super hate it for a whole lot of incredibly petty reasons and think they had been tricked because obviously this isn't a christian nation

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

The patriarch's guards fold down the little cross on his hat so he can get in his car :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

all true but it's still darkly funny that people think everyone is able to just move. Like, it's really obvious some people don't realise how lucky they are, or if it's pure hard work, they don't realise they've already won the rat race. I think the ones that can move but don't are actually the more annoying. Like I know a few people here in the UK that rightly hate it, have lots of money and skills, but absolutely refuse to get out. I wish they'd just give me all their money if they don't want to actually take advantage of it.

I live in Florida and I make enough money and have enough skills to leave but I haven't :evilbuddy:

Mostly cuz until very recently my old-rear end parents lived here too and I want to spend as much time as I can with them before they croak, but now even they've moved out of Florida so lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GotLag posted:

The patriarch's guards fold down the little cross on his hat so he can get in his car :3:

:3:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Agreed. Those elections happened in 1980, 1984, and 2000.

TBH you left a few out.

For the working class, it's basically been nothing but Reagans since 1980.

RE: Vacation day chat.

In my last job they did "unlimited vacation" and I did get a bit of talking to from my boss for using too much, though nothing really disciplinary.

In my current job which poached me from my last one then canned me because they didn't actually know what they wanted from the role, they made a big show when they pulled me in to fire me of how much they could claw back in vacation days I spent but hadn't "earned" but chose not to bill me for them. :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Owlbear Camus posted:

In my last job they did "unlimited vacation" and I did get a bit of talking to from my boss for using too much, though nothing really disciplinary.

Did you put them in front of a big flipover where you had written "unlimited vacation" in giant crayon and you used a pointing stick to repeatedly tap the flipover while slowly asking them what part of unlimited they didn't understand?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The most important election from a union perspective was the 1946 midterms because they elected the Congress that passed Taft-Hartley, which essentially caponized American unions

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

nothing but Reagans

Capitalism.png: Nothing but Reagans

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Abongination posted:

other countries don't take americans

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
unless you mean like, DPRK or Rhodesia

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The most important election from a union perspective was the 1946 midterms because they elected the Congress that passed Taft-Hartley, which essentially caponized American unions

The freedom to assemble

unless it's against the autocratic regimes that run workplaces, then you better shut the gently caress up :commissar:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Unions letting any congress take away their labour rights is what hosed them though. Labour action matters more than elections. Always has.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

skooma512 posted:

The freedom to assemble

unless it's against the autocratic regimes that run workplaces, then you better shut the gently caress up :commissar:

Yeah that's tldr of Taft Hartley and it's loving still the law of the land

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

they also hug and kiss each other as dudes + way too much standing

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's the same principle as having a set amount of vacation days being better than "we will stop tracking vacation days, you have effectively unlimited vacation days, do whatever you want", because the latter means social pressure will prevent you from ever going on vacation

They still track your time off usage for flexible time off they just don't give you any base accrual that you think you're entitled to. I say think because I raised this issue when they switched us to FTO and hr told me how we never should have felt entitled to PTO hours and we could be forced to not take them for business needs even if it meant losing hours in the yearly rollover.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's a very niche program that only a couple of tech companies have tried to implement and marketing it as a sort of "innovation" and progressive generosity to its employees.

It's supposed to be paid leave, but as I'd mentioned, it doesn't actually work as well as it sounds at first glance because you're simply pressured into never going on leave

Lol if they're requiring manager approval they're still tracking it guaranteed.

PostNouveau posted:

It's used to avoid sudden liabilities when the company lays people off. If PTO is a vague "unlimited" amount, then you can't accrue any and they don't have to pay you out accrual when you part ways. Studies show people in unlimited PTO situations don't take more time off anyway.

This is an issue even without firing you and is a reason my company went to fto. If you accrue PTO hours that shows up as a liability on their balance sheet. Since fto doesn't accrue it never sits around as a liability. Most states don't even require a company to pay out unused pto unless company policy requires it which most of course don't.

PostNouveau posted:

Right, unlimited PTO is often a way for a company that currently does these things to gracefully pivot from accrual to non-accrual. Current employees agree to it because they see "unlimited" and the check they'll get for paying out the current accruals, but then it's unambiguously worse in ways they can't forsee going forward.

Everyone at my work knew it would be worse, doesn't matter when finance and the ceo want to make the books look better

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Proust Malone posted:

Of the people to seriously go after the deep state

- JFK got got
- RFK got got
- Nixon resigned in disgrace
- Trump (lol) is going to jail forever for paperwork crimes

8923_4
Aug 10, 2023
from 2014:

to 2020:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

8923_4 posted:

from 2014:

to 2020:

lmao @ the fight for 15 approaching 15 years old

8923_4
Aug 10, 2023
the fight for $15 fizzling out ....[retail prices double].....[5 years later]... we'll rehire you for $12.75 an hour.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Weaponized Autism posted:

My company will pay out accrued PTO but only if we give 3 weeks notice.

This is very much a YMMV statement but at my first job I knew I was leaving after I got married so I gave like 2 months notice and it ruled. I wasn't assigned any new long term work so basically spend 2 weeks buttoning up all my open work and then just hosed off for 6 weeks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

Of the people to seriously go after the deep state

- JFK got got
- RFK got got
- Nixon resigned in disgrace
- Trump (lol) is going to jail forever for paperwork crimes

How did Nixon or Trump "go after the deep state".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

In Training posted:

President Donald Trump has fired the intelligence community’s chief watchdog, Michael Atkinson, who was the first to sound the alarm to Congress last September about an “urgent” complaint he received from an intelligence official involving Trump’s communications with Ukraine’s president.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

In Training posted:

About as much as the Kennedys, but we like to pretend they were threats to the buffoons notorious for loving up pretty much every covert conspiracy they've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

How did Nixon... "go after the deep state".

Nixon pulling out of Vietnam was going to endanger the drug pipeline that the CIA ran from the Golden Triangle back to the States - they didn't need to kill him, but they did depose him.

The CIA infiltrated CREEP with James McCord, who deliberately bungled the Watergate break-in so that its perpetrators would be caught, Mark Felt leaked the cover-up to Woodward and Bernstein, and then CIA Director Vernon Walters leaked the entire plot to Congress so that they knew exactly what to look for as far as incriminating evidence of a cover-up.

Notice how there's a distinct shift to Latin America in the 1980s after Saigon falls.