Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Hypocrisy posted:

You sure Larian was a small indie developer when they were making Original Sin 2?

Yeah you're right, "small" indie isn't really the best term for their size by the end of OS2 development. They ramped up to about 150 people for OS2, but still a relatively small operation working on 1 game with a pretty small budget and self-publishing. They actually did a Kickstarter for OS2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

njsykora posted:

Also second, third, fourth, has there been an achievement in any of those games for exclusively killing with nutshots yet?

Sniper Elite 5, but similar ones exist in the previous games

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

koolkal posted:

Yeah you're right, "small" indie isn't really the best term for their size by the end of OS2 development. They ramped up to about 150 people for OS2, but still a relatively small operation working on 1 game with a pretty small budget and self-publishing. They actually did a Kickstarter for OS2 as well.

Maybe this is just me, but "small indie" to me means like one dude working in their spare time, maybe getting some art done by their real life friend. 150 sounds like "huge indie" if anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Clarste posted:

Maybe this is just me, but "small indie" to me means like one dude working in their spare time, maybe getting some art done by their real life friend. 150 sounds like "huge indie" if anything.

I'd say a team of like 10 people is still pretty tiny by game dev standards.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until BG3 Larian was considered pretty solidly AA tier, at the rapidly vanishing midpoint between small indie and huge AAA studio that used to populate the industry 20 years ago. The success of DOS2 and getting the BG license obviously raised their profile.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pre Original Sin, they were solidly B-Tier. Check out Divine Divinity to see a distinctly Larian take on a Diablo-like.

I guess they are kind of a rarity - there aren't many indies who manage to get break-out success, choose to expand and have enough sustained success to avoid getting bought out.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 9, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Divinity 2 was a complete mess that they had to successively overhaul with the expansion pack and then a re-release (but did engender a lot of trust in the company for pulling the game out of the fire, still a very weird/janky game)

It's quoted on the Steam page so here's the Something Awful review:
https://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/dragon-knight-saga/

Dragon Commander is very very weird but I think the interpersonal stuff in the early releases showed enough promise and ambition that it helped sell the 1st Original Sin Kickstarter and then they're off to the races.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they've said they were about ~40 employees on d:os, then ~150 on d:os2, then ~400 on baldur's gate 3. they were never really a tiny indie and crpgs are kind of a genre that encourages ambitious scopes so expanding staff count and ambitions after they had proper success would have been a fairly natural move each time. just maybe not this time - they've said they're going to try to work on a few different projects at once and hopefully release a new game sooner than 6 years this time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lih posted:

they've said they were about ~40 employees on d:os, then ~150 on d:os2, then ~400 on baldur's gate 3. they were never really a tiny indie and crpgs are kind of a genre that encourages ambitious scopes so expanding staff count and ambitions after they had proper success would have been a fairly natural move each time. just maybe not this time - they've said they're going to try to work on a few different projects at once and hopefully release a new game sooner than 6 years this time.

Well if they do keep the trend going the next games gonna have about 1200 working on it. So that's, um probably not going to happen.

I can imagine after such a larger project though a lot of people at the studio might want to work on some smaller ones.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
They're going to release their Pentiment killer next

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fez_machine posted:

They're going to release their Pentiment killer next

It's set in ancient 1990's New York, and your a newspaper cartoonist, so the whole game in done in the old 90's newspaper cartoon's style of illustrations. Someone gets murdered in your city and your not tasked with finding the murder as no one cares. The game just sort of ends after a random amount of time, and there isn't a dialogue system as no one will talk to you.

Also you can pick your attributes at the start but non of them matter, and humor is automatically set to 0 and can not be changed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dr_rat posted:

It's set in ancient 1990's New York, and your a newspaper cartoonist, so the whole game in done in the old 90's newspaper cartoon's style of illustrations. Someone gets murdered in your city and your not tasked with finding the murder as no one cares. The game just sort of ends after a random amount of time, and there isn't a dialogue system as no one will talk to you.

Also you can pick your attributes at the start but non of them matter, and humor is automatically set to 0 and can not be changed.

I would unironically buy this Day 1.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Well, Fallout 4 just had a mod posted on the Nexus that's basically "I replaced every black person with a white person". Paragraphs of justifying "historical accuracy" and even broke out the census graphs. We'll see if Nexusmods dealing with it makes the news again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember reading that Nexusmods wouldn't allow mods for Hogwarts Legacy that replaced a trans character, so they are capable of doing the right thing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kith posted:

Well, Fallout 4 just had a mod posted on the Nexus that's basically "I replaced every black person with a white person". Paragraphs of justifying "historical accuracy" and even broke out the census graphs. We'll see if Nexusmods dealing with it makes the news again.

This is pretty laughable and I don't want to be the thread police, but is this really an industry thing or more for the lovely/Awesome Mods thread?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't see it anywhere i the recent uploads, was this the same mod someone named American Krogan was looking for voice actors for about a year back, or is it a completely separate one?

it's definitely gone in any case, good riddance

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 10, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mycot posted:

This is pretty laughable and I don't want to be the thread police, but is this really an industry thing or more for the lovely/Awesome Mods thread?

I'm of the opinion that NexusMods' handling of these kinds of issues is relevant to the industry on the whole, especially since it's been newsworthy in the past. If a mod/IK feels otherwise, I won't do it again.

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 10, 2023

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kith posted:

Historical accuracy? It’s set in Boston

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RatHat posted:

Historical accuracy? It’s set in Boston

Historical accuracy, in a game series which diverged from actual history in the 1950s in universe.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Historical accuracy" used as a battlecry isn't, at all. It's only ever just an excuse to attempt to cover up rampaging misogyny and racism.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

I don't see it anywhere i the recent uploads, was this the same mod someone named American Krogan was looking for voice actors for about a year back, or is it a completely separate one?

it's definitely gone in any case, good riddance

That's the modder - nexus removed it for cause:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Nintendo is patent trolling again

https://80.lv/articles/nintendo-patents-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-mechanics/

https://twitter.com/eigenbom/status/1689383235388665856?s=20

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

So the thing I've been doing surfing semi trailers in GTAO for most of a decade and dozens of games before that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
They invented moving platforms.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The world of software patents is full of this bullshit, where the filing basically says "we are patenting one specific novel method to do a backflip!", where of course only the specific new details are patentable.
And then the lawyers use that patent to convince some moron boomer judge who barely understands what a computer program is that they have a patent on all backflips, so they can go and sue all their competition over it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The world of software patents is full of this bullshit, where the filing basically says "we are patenting one specific novel method to do a backflip!", where of course only the specific new details are patentable.
And then the lawyers use that patent to convince some moron boomer judge who barely understands what a computer program is that they have a patent on all backflips, so they can go and sue all their competition over it.

They back down immediately if you say you'll let it go to court though. Too big of a risk to lose the patent.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's because legally, at least the law I studied, you can't patent software but you can patent a solution of some problem that includes software as part of it which is why they go this way.

To clarify Nintendo are just being greedy and spiteful with this, and I'm not 100% sure but they could only protect the specific source code they used for TotK wizardry, if someone does it another demonstrable way they can't argue patent.

(Note: I am not 100% sure I'm right and other countries' laws might be different, just wanted to comment since software patents is something I've had to look up recently)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

leper khan posted:

They back down immediately if you say you'll let it go to court though. Too big of a risk to lose the patent.

Used to be that they just chose Texas to file in so they would get Albright’s hosed up patent-maximization jurisprudence, but now that he’s not a certain get we’re seeing them in more places.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Subjunctive posted:

Used to be that they just chose Texas to file in so they would get Albright’s hosed up patent-maximization jurisprudence, but now that he’s not a certain get we’re seeing them in more places.

All you need to do is show how you're using someone else's prior art as a base instead of the patented thing.

Then when they come at you, you try to find even older prior art lol. Patent office at some point decided to offload their job to the defense attorneys of whoever is being sued by a patent troll. This lets them get through more patents and encourages more people to apply for patents.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

leper khan posted:

It should be they if they drop a court case they need to give cause or lose the patent. That shouldn't be a method of defense of bad patent actors.

Maybe someone can sue the patent office for causing the company money due to negligence in issuing the patent and failing due diligence.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Eh nevermind.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Clarste posted:

So Vampire Survivors is the only small indie?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There's the Stardew Valley guy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So Vampire Survivors is the only small indie?

Touhou is the big one, probably.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Toby Fox and Lucas Pope are pretty obvious ones too

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rarity posted:

Toby Fox and Lucas Pope are pretty obvious ones too

Jeff Vogel at Spiderweb

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In news that should surprise no one, the $2 billion investment that Embracer Group said fell through in May was from Saudi Arabia.

quote:

The previously unknown partner in a $2 billion video game mega-deal that mysteriously and dramatically collapsed last spring was the Saudi government-funded Savvy Games Group, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: The fallout of the failed deal sent shares of The Embracer Group — Savvy's would-be partner, and one of the most voracious acquirers of video games studios in the last several years — plummeting, and forced it into cost-cutting mode.

Catch up quick: The $2 billion deal would have involved Savvy investing in the development and publishing of games from Embracer, helping establish the Saudi company as a major gaming label.

Embracer had been promising investors news of a lucrative "transformative partnership … with several industry partners" since November 2022.
But in a May 24, 2023 note, Embracer management announced the collapse of one of those massive partnerships, while carefully avoiding naming the partner.
In the May note, Embracer said that the parties had reached a verbal commitment in October 2022 that would have resulted in more than $2 billion "in contracted development revenue over a period of six years."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

An investment sounds different from “contracted development revenue”. What am I misunderstanding?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

An investment sounds different from “contracted development revenue”. What am I misunderstanding?

I can’t find a single reference to that particular bit of jargon that isn’t reposts of that article.

A “verbal agreement” sounds extremely shaky though. They are legally binding in many countries but obviously contentious and would need a lot of onerous litigation. Their shareholders should be rightfully furious that they called this a strategic partnership before the deal was negotiated and bet the farm on it

My guess is that “contracted development revenue” means that the agreement had some stipulations as to what the money was spent on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The House of Saud refused to Rock & Stone