Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Cached Money posted:

classic ali scam, cancel and/or open dispute

I decided to do an uno reverse scam and I used the "pay upon delivery" option, because it's not a real item. the shipping info says it's (the upgrade) coming from China so when the arrival date passes without it showing up, I'm gonna dispute it and never have paid anything for the "upgrade."

the seller assured me they would ship today and now that it says I paid on their end, if they don't ship today I'm gonna cancel the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

hark posted:

I decided to do an uno reverse scam and I used the "pay upon delivery" option, because it's not a real item. the shipping info says it's (the upgrade) coming from China so when the arrival date passes without it showing up, I'm gonna dispute it and never have paid anything for the "upgrade."

the seller assured me they would ship today and now that it says I paid on their end, if they don't ship today I'm gonna cancel the whole thing.
Just cancel it jesus christ. Don't try to scam the scammers.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Babelfish input: no, I know I said I wanted it and would pay for it, but I secretly wanted them to cancel my order because I didn't actually want it and thought there was a good chance they were scammers. Please give me a refund and keep my account I good standing

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mystes posted:

why???? why should scammers get to have all the fun scamming? I should also be allowed a little bit of scamming as a treat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Because that's how you end up somehow loving yourself over

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Make the seller put fish on their heads.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

isn't this how you end up on that mythical shared seller shitlist and most of the AE stores don't want to do business with you anymore

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mystes posted:

Or at least put it on youtube.

I violated the golden rule because temu insisted on selling me an electric razor for $7 (hair, not face) and I had been putting off buying one for a long time. Will report back on what degree of burns I get when it explodes.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
During the chip shortage (which is still somewhat going on) I heard that scam was happening on basically all of the "non authorised vendors" in China who'd say they had huge stocks of the chip but required you to "request a quote".

People would request a quote, get a very reasonable price, pay it, then get an e-mail saying "Oh no, during QA it turns out all the chips have been left out in the rain/are strangely dirty/inexplicably ruined in a non-quantifiable way, but we have another source for 10% more" and they'd just keep doing that until they got bored.

Some people on eevblog/etc. did actually keep paying as they were desperate and they'd usually eventually get the chip, after paying double or more the manufacturer's price, and none of them felt good about it. Most would just say "no" after the first step and get their money back.

I'd also just cancel it if someone on aliexpress tried it on me, and I consider aliexpress a lot more trustworthy than "the dodgy electronics co." or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Ford posted:

During the chip shortage (which is still somewhat going on) I heard that scam was happening on basically all of the "non authorised vendors" in China who'd say they had huge stocks of the chip but required you to "request a quote".

People would request a quote, get a very reasonable price, pay it, then get an e-mail saying "Oh no, during QA it turns out all the chips have been left out in the rain/are strangely dirty/inexplicably ruined in a non-quantifiable way, but we have another source for 10% more" and they'd just keep doing that until they got bored.

Some people on eevblog/etc. did actually keep paying as they were desperate and they'd usually eventually get the chip, after paying double or more the manufacturer's price, and none of them felt good about it. Most would just say "no" after the first step and get their money back.

I'd also just cancel it if someone on aliexpress tried it on me, and I consider aliexpress a lot more trustworthy than "the dodgy electronics co." or whatever.

not the same thing but i've heard of a similar problem from people who want to buy retro chips (a lot of old yamaha opl3 chips or something, for example), where all the chip sellers will say they've all got 2000 or so and that's great so the retro chip people build projects going "okay there's tons of these out there it's easy to buy them to repurpose."

then they go to buy them.

and suddenly no one has ANY. because it turns out only ONE person had any in the first place, and everyone else was just reporting they could buy the two thousand off the one guy who had them, creating an illusion of way, way more supply than there actually was in the market.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
wow....so I cancelled the order because no shipping update after a few hours. ali tells me order was cancelled successfully and to expect full refund within a few days.

seller messages me and says "I see you cancelled order, item is already on the way. please create new order!" and then gave me the tracking number, which indicates that they sent a package earlier in the day, but apparently just never updated the shipping info on ali or in the message.

confused about what's going to happen now.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Yeah you should have just cancelled. Customer support can see all the messages and it won’t be the first time they’ve seen that game being played. Of course if you want to try and play their game feel free, I’d just move on to the next seller.

I got like three orders outstanding that I know ain’t coming at this stage but they haven’t reached the stage where I can raise a dispute. I’ve set myself a reminder for them because I’m sure I’m going to forget about it and lose my (small amount of) money. I’m also torn whether I should reorder from another seller now or if I should wait, just in case.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

hark posted:

wow....so I cancelled the order because no shipping update after a few hours. ali tells me order was cancelled successfully and to expect full refund within a few days.

seller messages me and says "I see you cancelled order, item is already on the way. please create new order!" and then gave me the tracking number, which indicates that they sent a package earlier in the day, but apparently just never updated the shipping info on ali or in the message.

Nothing, unless you fall for it and create a new order so that they can take your money and then disappear when the tracking number turns out to be fake.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if our master scamhunter moved the conversation to email

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

DRINK ME posted:

Yeah you should have just cancelled. Customer support can see all the messages and it won’t be the first time they’ve seen that game being played. Of course if you want to try and play their game feel free, I’d just move on to the next seller.

I got like three orders outstanding that I know ain’t coming at this stage but they haven’t reached the stage where I can raise a dispute. I’ve set myself a reminder for them because I’m sure I’m going to forget about it and lose my (small amount of) money. I’m also torn whether I should reorder from another seller now or if I should wait, just in case.

I did cancel. it was the first line of what I said. and according to AliExpress, it was successful. I just was saying wow because I couldn't believe this seller was still on this bullshit. I'm new to AliExpress ordering and this whole thing is funny to me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hark posted:

do nothing

if they're not a scam artist it's still their fault for being dumb and not following the proper procedures

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mystes posted:

do nothing

if they're not a scam artist it's still their fault for being dumb and not following the proper procedures

thats the plan. if I end up with the motor, sweet. if not, meh. the shipping time is estimated to be like 4 days from now so I guess we'll see what, if anything, shows up by then. ali says the cancellation is complete and the refund is processing in PayPal already so I'm not too worried about it.

seller is frantically messaging me right now so I'm just gonna not open the app for a while.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I bet one dollar that tracking number is not going to your zip code.

WTF 4 days shipping? Are you in China?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's possible that it's legit. The problem is just that once you go outside of the normal procedures it becomes dangerous.

I guess theoretically creating a new order through aliexpress should be safe, so if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt you could do that, but with the other weirdness from earlier I don't know

they hosed up the process, so basically there's nothing stopping you from just keeping the item for free if it's legit though

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think that's unusual for express international shipping for expensive items

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2023

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

stephenthinkpad posted:

I bet one dollar that tracking number is not going to your zip code.

they ship from a US warehouse, which was why I tried to order from them in the first place.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Listen, if you receive the item and it's working, just pay for it. I am not trying to make a moral argument but that's what I would do.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

stephenthinkpad posted:

Listen, if you receive the item and it's working, just pay for it. I am not trying to make a moral argument but that's what I would do.

that was what I tried to have happen before this seller raised the price 2 separate times. after I already paid.

it's not like I forced this to happen.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I know people posting at you to cancel the order (earlier, before you had canceled) may seem kinda snippy but they are just watching out for you because they've seen it before. I've been scammed out of $5 for Bluetooth headphones because I gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and AliExpress ended up not having my back when I disputed it even when I pointed them to the USPS site where the tracking info said the package was seized for counterfeit postage.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 9, 2023

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

hark posted:

that was what I tried to have happen before this seller raised the price 2 separate times. after I already paid.

it's not like I forced this to happen.

they can easily spin up one off products at custom prices and send you a link to pay. i would pay too if the item is received.

i really appreciate what good business people some of the legit sellers are. i bought an antenna with the wrong length wire, my bad, and when i asked if they could just sell me some new wire the guy immediately had a custom order set up and ready to go.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

hark posted:

why???? why should scammers get to have all the fun scamming? I should also be allowed a little bit of scamming as a treat.

Because they're going to send you a box with some bricks in it so the package tracking matches. This will give them a 50/50 chance on winning the dispute.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man for some reason this is bringing me back to that old goon tale about a scammer trying to scheme a guy out of his laptop he was selling, I think that was the context.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1016390

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

m-m-m-motor!

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Cancelling and getting a full refund and then having a package turn up 3 months later is a honoured ali experience

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Abongination posted:

Cancelling and getting a full refund and then having a package turn up 3 months later is a honoured ali experience

yeah - sometimes it really did get stuck in the post!

You have to dispute every time something goes wrong because more than half the incidents are scams. Sometimes this means a legit seller gets screwed over, but lets face it everyone's getting screwed over occasionally on ali express.

Most recently I got sent completely the wrong item, took a photo of it, and somehow lost the dispute?? I raised an appeal but that is literally a form where you send an email to some bogus unread mailbox.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So a while back I mentioned I got a bone conducting swimming mp3 player from ali. It's designed to be tether to your goggles as 1 piece. I lost it recently with my goggles. I like it enough that I ordered 2 more. I found a public pool only 10 min walk from work so I will be taking my lunch break in the pool. It's also one of the very few things that the Amazon list price is 3x higher for no reason.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805169889628.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.18.21ef1802UrslKe&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa $31 shipped, took 8 days to get to me.

My only complaint of it is there no shuffle mode.

VVVV Temu refunded a car wash water gun after their shipper lost it and and then package turn up 2 weeks later.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 9, 2023

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Abongination posted:

Once I ordered a USB ociliscope from Ali and it never shipped. I contacted the seller and they canceled the order and refunded me.

2 months later it arrived. I went back to Ali to try to contact the seller so I could pay them for it but their account was closed.

1 month after that a second one showed up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We've had 2 $30+ orders from Temu just get automatically refunded now on or around the day they actually arrived, in due time. I dont mind it.

One thing I find about Temu is it almost feels like they save the best recommendations for once you've already placed the order, so you have more junk to put in your cart and something to come back to? Maybe its just my web addled mind

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Oh I’m sure they invest plenty in mind games, just like most other companies.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Having a refunded purchase arrive is a rite of passage for any true fan of aliex

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

well why not posted:

Having a refunded purchase arrive is a rite of passage for any true fan of aliex

Especially when it is 5 months later and combined with something else you just ordered.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I was looking for some really cheap pocket T-shirts on AliEx to see if they were any cheaper than what I can get at amazon (spoilers: they aren't) and I found these on my search:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805120722788.html

edit: v-- I had never even thought of using bone conducting bluetooth headphones for swimming. That's pretty clever.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 10, 2023

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

stephenthinkpad posted:

So a while back I mentioned I got a bone conducting swimming mp3 player from ali. It's designed to be tether to your goggles as 1 piece. I lost it recently with my goggles. I like it enough that I ordered 2 more. I found a public pool only 10 min walk from work so I will be taking my lunch break in the pool. It's also one of the very few things that the Amazon list price is 3x higher for no reason.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805169889628.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.18.21ef1802UrslKe&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa $31 shipped, took 8 days to get to me.

My only complaint of it is there no shuffle mode.

I mentioned I bought it after your recommendation for the other version (no goggles) before, but I can't swim so I never even realised they were waterproof at first. I did wonder why it always said "Bluetooth mode" after "Power on", and I had already noticed that when it was plugged into the computer it mounted a drive with some MP3 files on it which I guessed related to the mentioned "modes", so I kept fiddling with the buttons and somehow put it into MP3 player mode. Since realising it can be used for "swimming" I've been using it to listen to stuff in the shower without worrying about waking our daughter.

I did also accidentally answer a call with it and discovered it works quite well for that too, didn't even realise it had a microphone!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Time for me to dig my barely used bone conduction headphones out of a drawer I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Please don't plug ali electronics into a computer without using a usb condom