Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
According to the Cleanup on Aisle 45 podcast today, Giuliani is attempting (having?) to sell his Manhattan apartment now, and from Pete Strzok: "There is no amount of bleach that would make me comfortable moving in."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
SCIFs take time to design, install, certify. They claim in the filing that the presence of the secret service means that it's a secure facility (versus a government building with multiple layers of access control). They even point out there are only a handful of the documents rising to scif levels, and then double down that they can't possibly arrange to go there and MAL is the white house with perfect video retention and it's all lies and :rant: and we'll be ready for the case in two years after Are President has his scif again. (Needless to say I had to stop reading the 11 pages of that noise)

So loving tone deaf. "I'm accused of having bodies in my freezer. I can't go to the morgue to view the bodies. Can I build a morgue in my basement?"

Cannon is gonna send it right to the prosecution, I speculate: "Tell me why he can't build his own scif".

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

That's what the bathroom is for right?

Taking a SCIF in the Don

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Um, isn't that essentially admitting to guilt? Because if the documents weren't classified, you wouldn't need a SCIF, or if they were stored properly, then you must've already had a SCIF. But you just said you didn't.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cr0y posted:

Lol he really wants all those documents back at Mar-A-Lago for reasons

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1689358705240776704?t=QrZXPVSWNE9unb714cEbaQ&s=19

I don’t think thats how SCIFs work. Each SCIF is authorized by the compartment itself to hold material at that level per that compartments internal rules.

For this to happen Judge Cannon would have to order the 31 (?) different groups to ignore their rules and what they have decided is best for their own security and bless Trumps bathroom as safe. When it’s not. Seems unlikely to go through without a fight and it’s a separation of powers issue so she may not even be able to order it.

The Secret Service has a SCIF there but if you let Trump into it then it’s difficult to use for its intended purpose and could easily compromise other work, which is, you know, illegal and all. An agent would have to be present with them the whole time they are in there which also has issues with Trumps privacy.

I expect that the courthouse has some office that is built to SCIF/SAPF standards because it would be expected that if nothing else the FBI and DoJ would need to occasionally review materials with the courts. Plus it’s actively protected by US Marshals and etc…

Getting the courthouse secure area authorized to store the materials is probably easy especially given the courts constitutional right to examine evidence.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe he's worried about the Saudis chopping someone up. Say, someone who received several billion dollars recently, but who may not have the goods promised by dear ol' dad-in-law.

No, he just wants them. He's stupid.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Sometimes I go read posts on far left/right sites just to see how everyone is managing. On the right side they're convinced T can't get a fair trial in DC because the requirement for an impartial jury can easily be shown impossible based on election polls and returns... :downs: which for three years they've claimed are stolen, inaccurate, representative of dead liberal voters, and so forth. None have described how WV is a fair change of venue using the same standard.

They're also confused about reasonable doubt and how jury trials work.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mercury_Storm posted:

According to the Cleanup on Aisle 45 podcast today, Giuliani is attempting (having?) to sell his Manhattan apartment now, and from Pete Strzok: "There is no amount of bleach that would make me comfortable moving in."

Glad we could get Pete Strzok's take on that

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

None have described how WV is a fair change of venue using the same standard.

Democrats are others, Republicans are us, no further explanation is needed. Same reason they'd object to even a majority-black jury but not a pure white one.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Zamujasa posted:

Democrats are others, Republicans are us, no further explanation is needed. Same reason they'd object to even a majority-black jury but not a pure white one.
For a few years I've been trying to come up with a good system for T to be anonymously tried by his peers. He would be beaten, (other things), drawn and quartered almost immediately:

Jonh Deo refused to follow recommendations of multiple elders in the organization. Cheated and lied. Acted for individual gain. Gave an impassioned speech then disappeared when the work was being done. Foreign wife. Doesn't even carry a gun. Didn't send in the military. :commissar:

Also showing their perfect consistency since Republicans actually aren't good enough; they might be rinos! But there are no dinos.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Presto posted:

Um, isn't that essentially admitting to guilt? Because if the documents weren't classified, you wouldn't need a SCIF, or if they were stored properly, then you must've already had a SCIF. But you just said you didn't.

The filing consistently refers to the classified info in the discovery productions as "purportedly classified" and "allegedly classified", and the very first footnote specifically reserves the "right to challenge whether purportedly classified information is indeed classified".

Lawyers specialize in this sort of pedantry, even Trump's halfassed team isn't going to trip up that easy.

SCIFs take time to design, install, certify. They claim in the filing that the presence of the secret service means that it's a secure facility (versus a government building with multiple layers of access control). They even point out there are only a handful of the documents rising to scif levels, and then double down that they can't possibly arrange to go there and MAL is the white house with perfect video retention and it's all lies and :rant: and we'll be ready for the case in two years after Are President has his scif again. (Needless to say I had to stop reading the 11 pages of that noise)

So loving tone deaf. "I'm accused of having bodies in my freezer. I can't go to the morgue to view the bodies. Can I build a morgue in my basement?"

Cannon is gonna send it right to the prosecution, I speculate: "Tell me why he can't build his own scif".

Trump already built a SCIF in Mar-a-Lago during his presidency. His team is proposing reactivating that SCIF, because he thinks it's a pain in the rear end for him to have to travel to a external SCIF every time he wants to rant at his lawyer when he's already got a SCIF-quality room at home. Which isn't shocking from the guy who couldn't be bothered to use a secure phone because it was too inconvenient to carry two phones around.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cannon doesn't have the authority to order that the executive branch re-establish a SCIF there.

But she absolutely will ask them to do it. They'll respond by saying "gently caress you" and this will lead to two more weeks of hearings before the discovery can even begin

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ynglaur posted:

Maybe he's worried about the Saudis chopping someone up. Say, someone who received several billion dollars recently, but who may not have the goods promised by dear ol' dad-in-law.

I have a hard time believing Trump would care if anyone murdered Kushner. Or would necessarily even notice.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That twitter subpoena really burying the lead.

https://themessenger.com/politics/trump-flight-risk-federal-judge-ruling-indictments

quote:

Overshadowed by the news that Special Counsel Jack Smith secretly obtained access to Donald Trump’s Twitter account, a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit relegated a blockbuster revelation to a footnote.

“The district court also found reason to believe that the former President would ‘flee from prosecution,’” it began.

The appellate court’s ruling does not reveal why U.S. District Court Beryl Howell, who oversaw the special counsel Jan. 6 investigation before handing over her title as the jurisdiction’s chief judge in March, made such an explosive finding to justify imposing a non-disclosure order preventing Twitter from telling Trump that prosecutors demanded access to his account.

According to the ruling, prosecutors, for reasons currently unknown, ultimately shelved that argument, and Howell ultimately relied on other factors to support her ruling.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump already built a SCIF in Mar-a-Lago during his presidency.
If it’s not the SCIF used by the secret service can Trump guarantee that it’s security hasn’t been compromised?

If not then it’s worthless.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It would have to jump on the DIA list to be reaccredited, and probably fail in a number of ways and have to be corrected.

E: probably take years, unless they send him a SCIF in a box, which would be kind of funny, but I doubt that would happen. Probably just a delay tactic.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 10, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Surprising no one.

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1689385286575194113

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they clarified later that that was a mistake and shelved that argument

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

This is the first time I noticed that the FBI's motto, "Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity", spells FBI. Am I the only one who missed that?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Big Completely expected if true. The only real question is why is this taking years to throw the flag?

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.

Murgos posted:

Big Completely expected if true. The only real question is why is this taking years to throw the flag?

Bureaucracy. He did all of the right things, followed all of the rules, did all that he could to effect positive change, and most importantly, documented everything. When it became clear that he would no longer be able to have any impact, he reported to the Senate Judiciary Committee. When you work in a highly regulated industry/agency you are expected to present justification for all of the information that you produce. If you don't do what you're supposed to do, it allows others to question your integrity. That happened in this case too, even when he was doing what he was supposed to do. The system is corrupted and personally I'm glad he endured it for as long as he did to give such a comprehensive documented and verifiable summary of his observations.

ACAB but sometimes there are a few good apples. We need people who care enough about doing things the right way in positions where things NEED to be done right.

enahs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Main Paineframe posted:

The filing consistently refers to the classified info in the discovery productions as "purportedly classified" and "allegedly classified", and the very first footnote specifically reserves the "right to challenge whether purportedly classified information is indeed classified".
That's easy: if it has classified markings, then it's classified.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

InsertPotPun posted:

they clarified later that that was a mistake and shelved that argument

I think there's little chance he flees from prosecution, and it is a weak conclusion. Conviction on the other hand, better cuff the fucker within seconds of the jury's verdict or he'll be halfway out the door.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Gyges posted:

I think there's little chance he flees from prosecution, and it is a weak conclusion. Conviction on the other hand, better cuff the fucker within seconds of the jury's verdict or he'll be halfway out the door.

Isn't the general consensus that the secret service won't let him flee? You hear how many of them are very pro Trump but I don't think that means they'll throw their lives away by letting him go or fleeing with him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rakeris posted:

It would have to jump on the DIA list to be reaccredited, and probably fail in a number of ways and have to be corrected.

How would you even do that short of burning the thing down? Foreign agents are presumed to have been inside, site is physically compromised.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

How would you even do that short of burning the thing down? Foreign agents are presumed to have been inside, site is physically compromised.

Actually, letting agents inside to see if it could be recertified, may be very useful for Smith's investigation. I bet dollar to donuts it's been bugged. Finding those bugs and then denying recertification would be valuable.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Actually, letting agents inside to see if it could be recertified, may be very useful for Smith's investigation. I bet dollar to donuts it's been bugged. Finding those bugs and then denying recertification would be valuable.

Trump installed those paintings with holes in the eyes like in cartoons.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

jarlywarly posted:

That's what the bathroom is for right?

Trump Legal Troubles: making GBS threads Compartmentalized Insurrection Facility

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Charlz Guybon posted:

poo poo yeah, if cannon asks the feds to do it, the reply should be that they need to send agents to scout the location to determine if it's a candidate for recert

Also, trump is a flight risk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Scapegoat posted:

Isn't the general consensus that the secret service won't let him flee? You hear how many of them are very pro Trump but I don't think that means they'll throw their lives away by letting him go or fleeing with him.

No President has tried to flee the country under their watch. We've been dealing with one insane, unprecedented event after another since the escalator event. So I think it's quite fair to not count on the Secret Service doing the right thing.

Joe Biden's dog doesn't trust them, and I know who the certified good boy is in that situation.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

I would be 100% OK with a high level coordinated effort to delay investigations and prosecutions so that they were timed to do the most damage to Trump. If they unloaded on him in the fall of 21 it'd be old news by the election and give plenty of time for the right wing media to coalesce around a counter narrative.

Edit: hell, if Dark Brandon planned all this from the Oval Office I'd be proud.

deoju fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 10, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

A SCIF that hasn’t been controlled could have some of its security measures circumvented and you wouldn’t be able to know that without gutting it.

Assume you are dealing with peer nations who are just as capable as the US.

I have no idea of if the TLAs have approved procedures for recertification after loss of control of a SCIF but I assume it wouldn’t be trivial so even if it were possible your asking for a large effort from the government which has better things to do then coddle a lazy criminal defendant.

Now, would it be interesting to have a counter espionage team demolish it and sift through the rubble? Yeah probably but it ain’t going to be put back into use afterwards.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

For a few years I've been trying to come up with a good system for T to be anonymously tried by his peers. He would be beaten, (other things), drawn and quartered almost immediately:

Jonh Deo refused to follow recommendations of multiple elders in the organization. Cheated and lied. Acted for individual gain. Gave an impassioned speech then disappeared when the work was being done. Foreign wife. Doesn't even carry a gun. Didn't send in the military. :commissar:

Also showing their perfect consistency since Republicans actually aren't good enough; they might be rinos! But there are no dinos.

Please erm, try to be clearer with what exactly you're saying.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Prosecution in the DC case has proposed a trial date of Jan 2, 2024.

Jury selection would start on December 11. Could you imagine what your Christmas would be like if you were on Jury Duty and had this hanging over your head?

Defense will certainly want this pushed way back, preferably after he can pardon himself the election.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

No President has tried to flee the country under their watch. We've been dealing with one insane, unprecedented event after another since the escalator event. So I think it's quite fair to not count on the Secret Service doing the right thing.

Joe Biden's dog doesn't trust them, and I know who the certified good boy is in that situation.

I am not sure if the SS could prevent him from fleeing, it's their job to provide security detail but I think that if a former POTUS waives that service they have no obligation.

I have the feeling that his detail spends most of the day in an office with them being requested when Trump wants to wander the lobby while looking important because he has free bodyguards.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tayter Swift posted:

Prosecution in the DC case has proposed a trial date of Jan 2, 2024.

Jury selection would start on December 11. Could you imagine what your Christmas would be like if you were on Jury Duty and had this hanging over your head?

Defense will certainly want this pushed way back, preferably after he can pardon himself the election.

How much capability is there to delay things? Like obviously that date is almost certainly not happening, but how far can they realistically push this out?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kzin602 posted:

I am not sure if the SS could prevent him from fleeing, it's their job to provide security detail but I think that if a former POTUS waives that service they have no obligation.

I have the feeling that his detail spends most of the day in an office with them being requested when Trump wants to wander the lobby while looking important because he has free bodyguards.

I still don't see him as much of a flight risk because of how vast the conspiracy to flee would have to be to work.

Assuming he attempts to abscond on his own plane, at least the pilot has to be willing, there'd be a loadmaster of sorts putting poo poo Trump doesn't want to leave behind on the plane, and whatever attendants and other staff are on a private plane and coordinate with the departing airport. Jets typically only load enough fuel to get to their destination, so somehow that would have to be sneakily purchased and pumped in. Flight plans with the FAA would have to be falsified.

That's a lot of people who have to be trusted not to squeal, not all of whom are under Trump's control. And how do you do all this without tipping off his Secret Service detail, who presumably do not want to be effectively kidnapped and taken to Russia?

Beyond his own plane. his hubris wouldn't let him try to blend in with a crowd to fly incognito, and he couldn't get away with it if he tried. So what else is left, hiding in the trunk of a car heading to Canada? Lol.

He should still have to surrender his passport if he hasn't done so already, though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't think Trump would survive a 12-hour flight in a coffin but the attempt would be so loving hilarious I kinda want him to try.