Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Has anyone watched Village (2023 Japan) on Netflix and wondered if the similarities to Higurashi can't be a coincidence?

- Houses employing the same construction style as the UNESCO heritage site which Hinamizawa is based on
- Infrastructure project whose support/opposition becomes relevant to the background of the story
- The relevance of trying to bury a body of a person who arguably deserved their fate
- Kinda creepy old customs (Shrine/Nō)
- I think the closing shot literally had cicadas (or something similar) on the background.

I've still to read the final two chapters and I'm sure I'm missing something else but it seems almost as blatant reference as Shin Gojira and the Kong Vs Godzilla movies were to NGE.

Also pork barreling projects are common in rural Japan I'm aware.

It's not an amazing film by no means but I couldn't find any conversation about it online (Village is bad as a search term)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The cicadas at least definitely aren't noteworthy, since that's just "a very common thing characterizing the summer in Japan." It'd be weird to not have them in any situation that is "rural Japan in the summer."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
village having creepy traditions and butting heads with the modern is a super common motif in japanese horror as well. i mean its a common motif in horror in general really but japan has its own distinct flavor of it that is interesting.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Snooze Cruise posted:

village having creepy traditions and butting heads with the modern is a super common motif in japanese horror as well. i mean its a common motif in horror in general really but japan has its own distinct flavor of it that is interesting.

See also: the Fatal Frame series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dessel posted:

Has anyone watched Village (2023 Japan) on Netflix and wondered if the similarities to Higurashi can't be a coincidence?

- Houses employing the same construction style as the UNESCO heritage site which Hinamizawa is based on
- Infrastructure project whose support/opposition becomes relevant to the background of the story
- The relevance of trying to bury a body of a person who arguably deserved their fate
- I think the closing shot literally had cicadas (or something similar) on the background.

I've still to read the final two chapters and I'm sure I'm missing something else but it seems almost as blatant reference as Shin Gojira and the Kong Vs Godzilla movies were to NGE.

It's not an amazing film by no means but I couldn't find any conversation about it online (Village is bad as a search term)
Deliverance also clears most of that criteria for an American example. Seeing motifs pop up in art is interesting but you need to be hyper aware of when you, the viewer, is making the connection or when it was intended by the author. Either answer is interesting usually.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_horror

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hadn't been keeping up with the updates, but turns out The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood is launching in ten days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAVZULwGMrw

You can also check the dev news on the steam page for some short comics about the cast. I'm almost tempted to preorder for the first time in my life since this is one of the games I'd want for the art alone, but I'm gonna hold for a bit to see if it delivers.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There some kind of Visual Novel Fest going on at Steam this week.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dessel posted:

Late answer but see Forbidden Siren for basically a whole bunch of same themes as Higurashi, only mixed in a different way, notable because the close release timing means it's basically impossible one influenced the other, it just was in the zeitgeist at the time.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Any top catches for the VN sale on Steam? I've picked up House in Fata Morgana, the Steins Gate bundle, and Videoverse, but any hidden gems people could recommend?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Green Wing posted:

Any top catches for the VN sale on Steam? I've picked up House in Fata Morgana, the Steins Gate bundle, and Videoverse, but any hidden gems people could recommend?

428 Shibuya Scramble

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Green Wing posted:

Hidden Gems:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green
The Sekiyama Spun Glass (only get if you can tolerate laborious locked room mystery style explanation of layouts and why things can not possibly have happened even if they, in fact, did. I found it very charming.)
Tangle Tower and Detective Grimoire (Phoenix Wright a-likes)
The Midnight Sanctuary
Eliza

Not hidden gems (they're widely known to be at least good among people who like VNs) but not mentioned regularly outside the VN thread:

Raging Loop
Paranormasight
Root Double
Utawarerumono
Iwaihime
Gnosia
Baldr Sky
Dies irae ~Amantes amentes~ (careful this one is *cough* sympathetic to say the least to its nazi vampire villains)

If you need a Key recommendation that's not Clannad, there's a significant amount of people who say Little Busters is as good or even better.

seconding Shibuya Shuffle

edit: The real deep poo poo that's not even in my library but on my wishlist so I can't vouch for quality just relative obscurity
MAMIYA
Methods: The Detective Competition
Lady in Mystery
Zodiac Trial
Mato Anomalies
Untale: King of Revinia
Broken Minds
Yurukill: The Calumniation Games
Kabaret
Nova-Box games

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 10, 2023

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I would anti-recommend Yurukill. It kinda sucked. Unless you really love shmups and badly want one mixed with some unsatisfactory VN nonsense, I'd say wait for a _much_ bigger discount. This title flopped for a reason.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'd recommend AI The Somnium Files for $8 if you don't have that yet.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
For obscure games that I actually liked, Rail of Möbius is 40% off. The translation is not perfect but it's good enough. It's pretty, it's not pervy, it's got time travel and a mystery for you to solve.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dies Irae is pretty funny, but not exactly bad if you can overlook the goofy stuff. It puts a lot of effort into making sure you know how insanely powerful its villains (and protagonist) are, in a very Nasu/Fate-esque way, where characters' powers are very conceptual and "absolute."

I'm not sure if I'd call it good, but it definitely has its own weird style.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Yeah, the Fate comparison is spot on. Both go to great lengths to outline the rules and mechanics of its world, and then much of the action / drama stems from people breaking said rules or utilizing them in unusual ways

I found it impossible to take Dies Irae seriously and couldn't bother finishing more than one route. It was mainly an issue with the protagonist, who is this cringey respected loaner archetype whose central conflict is "I wish life was more boring." I get where they were going with it, but he was such a little dweeb and all his powers and victories felt unearned. I was rooting hard for Shirou "We trained him wrong, as a joke" Emiya, whereas I just wanted to get out of Ren's head the whole time

Maximum Recommendation:
- All of Utawarerumono
- Steins;Gate
- Little Busters
- Baldr Sky
- All of Muv-Luv

Good:
- Majikoi
- 9-Nine
- SubaHibi (read the content warnings)

Haven't read but heard are good:
- Flowers
- Fata Morgana
- Rewrite
- Clannad

Don't bother:
- Robotics;Notes
- Dies Irae
- All of Grisaia

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Begging the thread to play Fata Morgana if they haven't already

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Nate RFB posted:

Begging the thread to play Fata Morgana if they haven't already

:same:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Misericorde Vol 1 is 30% off. Lots of us here dug that game. It's like a mix of Umineko meets Pentiment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708110/Misericorde_Volume_One/

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Misericorde Vol 1 is 30% off. Lots of us here dug that game. It's like a mix of Umineko meets Pentiment.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1708110/Misericorde_Volume_One/

drat you for getting my hopes up that Volume Two was already out. :argh: I need more nun mystery!

I just read a Junji Ito short-story set in a Catholic boarding school, and it made me miss my pack of 1400s troublemaking sisters. :colbert:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I recently got Tangle Tower after having it gather dust on my wishlist for years, and can 100% recommend. I can't entirely compare it to the first game since it's been ages since I played it, but it's really nicely crafted. The art direction, character designs and voice acting just ooze with charm, but by far the best part of it is the backgrounds (the extras include plenty of production sketches for the characters and locations with comments from the devs, which is nice). The story's your standard whodunit/locked room murder in a spooky mansion full of quirky characters. It's not too long (took me some 7-8 hrs to complete) and you could say that the ending rushes a bit and dovetails into sequel bait, but I can't say it bothered me too much, since the time I spent up to that point was really enjoyable. I just hope the gap from this to the next game isn't so long.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I assume reccomending all of Muv Luv is just the OG game and Alternative? The whole subsequent history of the franchise is nothing but misery and disappointment, as bad as Eureka Seven or VOTOMS and it's sequels.

Anyway I picked up White Album 2, I know nothing about it except it is apparently good.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Gaius Marius posted:

I assume reccomending all of Muv Luv is just the OG game and Alternative? The whole subsequent history of the franchise is nothing but misery and disappointment, as bad as Eureka Seven or VOTOMS and it's sequels.

Anyway I picked up White Album 2, I know nothing about it except it is apparently good.

Wait, did they get an official translation? I've been trying to get around to the second half (the part not covered by the anime) but kept getting distracted.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For white album? The second just came out. I don't think the first has been translated

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

For white album? The second just came out. I don't think the first has been translated

You picked up the remake of the first if you bought it on Steam

White Album 2 (the one everyone adores) has only been unofficially translated

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My bad, I don't know where I got the idea it was the sequel, hopefully that ends up coming out too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

Maximum Recommendation:
- All of Utawarerumono
- Steins;Gate
- Little Busters
- Baldr Sky
- All of Muv-Luv

Good:
- Majikoi
- 9-Nine
- SubaHibi (read the content warnings)

Haven't read but heard are good:
- Flowers
- Fata Morgana
- Rewrite
- Clannad

Don't bother:
- Robotics;Notes
- Dies Irae
- All of Grisaia

Fata Morgana is top tier, so you should prioritize playing that. You also don't mention Higurashi or Umineko - have you played (well, "read") those?

I also recommend Rewrite pretty highly. Common route is very funny in a way that I understand is typical of Key stuff. It's also just really weird, but in a way I personally enjoyed and made the game memorable for me. When I think back on the game I remember all sorts of weird poo poo, but fondly.

Only thing I disagree with on this list (from the stuff I've actually played) is that I thought Robotics;Notes was pretty good. Not as good as Steins;Gate and the ending fell a little flat for me, but I still enjoyed the "journey" and think it did a good job with its "crisis" moment (which felt very realistic and believable to me).

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Gaius Marius posted:

yeah I specifically meant the "trilogy" of Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative. But I also really enjoyed (most of) the stories in photomelodies and photonflowers. Overpriced, but that's a VN problem in general

the rest is hard to get a bead on. My understanding is that TDA and TE are both good, just not as good, and they're bogged down by dumb release decisions. I haven't read either. All the non-VN stuff seems like a total trash fire, and the future stuff - like the promised finales to Alternative and Unlimited - might as well be vaporware. but if they do eventually come out I think I'll have to read them

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

fez_machine posted:

Hidden Gems:

Golden Treasure: The Great Green

The Midnight Sanctuary

seconding Shibuya Shuffle

edit: The real deep poo poo that's not even in my library but on my wishlist so I can't vouch for quality just relative obscurity
Methods: The Detective Competition
Lady in Mystery

Can personally rec all of these.

Methods' broader mystery isn't that interesting (to me) but the relationships between everyone in the Detective Competition and the rotating focus of the story is such a fascinating narrative to follow. You never know who the story will focus on but it so effortlessly manages to make the viewpoint characters unique and their conflicts compelling.

I wouldn't call Lady in Mystery a fair-play mystery, but what makes it work is the fixation on the social scenarios. Its very much set in 1700s Korea and takes extensive efforts to explain how the rules and codes of conduct influence people's motivations. It felt like I was learning history. It ruled.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lady in mystery rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Analogue a Hate Story is pretty good I guess I don't think I like anything else from the author tho

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Actually, I would also highly rec Soulslayer as a fun mystery vn. Its a time loop mystery, but there's a strict three loop time limit, which forces you to center on investigating one suspect at a time. No matter who you investigate, you gain insight into a character and a greater understanding of what shaped their personality. Good mystery drama. Gotta love it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nerdietalk posted:

Soulslayer

I've never heard of this before, but absolutely need it! Thanks a bunch. :cheers:

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I enjoyed Soulslayer and was disappointed that the hinted-at sequel has never emerged, but such is life. Still, kinda think they should remove the 'episode one' label.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I added soooooo many visual novels in this sale to my wishlist my fellow goonies, more than like 40 of them

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Tired Moritz posted:

Analogue a Hate Story is pretty good I guess I don't think I like anything else from the author tho

Have you tried Hate Plus, the sequel? Its pretty good! I like all of Christine Lor's VNs very much though (wasn't too keen on GITCL though, the combat felt dull.)

Oh if anybody hasn't played OpenSorcery and its sequel Sea++ they must, they're masterpieces, I wept a lot. I don't know if these are in the sale it just hurts me to consider that people haven't. The sequel is more of an adventure game than a VN but I think opensorcery counts as a VN.

Also play the Christmas DLC to OpenSorcery, after the main game, its actually really good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
cosmic wheel sisterhood came out like 40 minutes ago! probably to take a break from bg3 and play this all day instead B)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
let us know if it is "good" instead of "bad". i'm chiefly concerned about whether they fixed the main issue that the demo had, it being a worrying lack of Silly Little Guys to add to my custom tarot cards. i don't want a burning allegory of love and desire in cosmic alignment, i want a capybara wearing a hat, some goblins maybe, a skeleton playing xylophone on its ribcage, the good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Only two hours into The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood, but it's really cool so far. Haven't seen many hosed up little guys to put on my cards yet, unfortunately.

e: and immediately after posting I unlock The Penitent One from Blasphemous, but I'm not sure how hosed up and/or little that guy really is

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 17, 2023