Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

RE: books, I just finished Echoes of Eternity and am finally moving on to The End and the Death. Echoes was so good that after I finish TEatD I think I'm going to go hit ADB's Night Lords trilogy.

Edit: page snipe through the power of books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
+1 for the Night Lords trilogy. The first book is very good, and the next two are just amazing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

The Falcon can deep strike and gives a boatload of rerolls on disembark.

Ok, yeah, that makes sense, thanks.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Also, the Falcon has better guns. They both have a shuriken cannon. The WS has a twin-linked heavy weapon of your choice, while the falcon has a single heavy weapon and a pulse laser.

The pulse laser is vastly more powerful than rerolling the wound rolls on the WS's turret weapon.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This is reminding me I need to paint up and swap out (easy as I just used blutac) my twin shuriken catapults on my Shining Spears Exarch, Wave Serpent, and now that I think about it maybe my Farseer Skyrunner, for shuriken cannons now that they are free upgrades + the AP changes from 9th to 10th.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Professor Shark posted:

Never played Halo

You didn't miss much, frankly.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I am working on the final section of the OP, the final section is about the hobby and how to make yourself a big-dick G warhammer dude, if you have any online stores or hobby shops or specific places you go to for all of your hobby needs or painting tutorials or anything like that it would save me some time.

I am already going to put the following sites:-

ebay, Etsy, Green Stuff World, and a couple places for 3D pringting STL's for custom scenery.

I am going to recommend a bunch of youtube painting tutorials like Duncan rhodes and such.

Also any community websites and places to find other warhammer fans.

so if you have sites and channels you think should be in the OP let me know!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 10, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Green Stuff World has a confirmed history of being dicks and it's extremely likely that they're also nazi dicks.

Even with an over-generous benefit of the doubt, they're not anyone you'd want to recommend in an OP.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

Green Stuff World has a confirmed history of being dicks and it's extremely likely that they're also nazi dicks.

Even with an over-generous benefit of the doubt, they're not anyone you'd want to recommend in an OP.

Yeah, otherwise that's a good list

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Might want to offload all the questions about 3d printing to the 3d printing thread right in the OP.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

For terrain, even though I've only gotten a few things from them so far, I like Death Ray Designs.

It's pretty much all MDF and there's a few lines more cyberpunk than 40k in aesthetic, but there's some good poo poo and some decent bundles for filling an entire table for about $100.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

moths posted:

oh drat I just ordered a bunch of magnet circle bases from them I had no idea sorry, I will make sure to not order for them again and keep them out of the OP.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Nah, you need to light them on fire once they come in

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

oh drat I just ordered a bunch of magnet circle bases from them I had no idea sorry, I will make sure to not order for them again and keep them out of the OP.

If GSW had only waited until 2022 to release their Sonnenrad texture roller they would've been fiiiiine.

Their history (besides the aforementioned Nazi texture roller) is they are patent trolls and have tried to drive other companies out of the business by copying their work and then patenting/copyrighting it first in Spain and then C&Ding the original creators. Their tentacle roller isn't their own idea for example. Neither are their colourshift paints.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Was it GSW or another company that published that book about how to make nazi gas chamber dioramamas? I think it was a spanish company.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That was AK Interactive.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They did otoh use a painters model without permission for something, and when prompted to remove it they instead just posted a grey scaled version instead.
No idea if that thing ever got a resolution, just something I picked up over the grapevine a while back.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Was it GSW or another company that published that book about how to make nazi gas chamber dioramamas? I think it was a spanish company.

AK but also spanish

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kind of surprised Corvus Belli hasn't messed up yet, being also Spanish.

In other news, the Arvus Lighter returns in plastic format.
Which... I honestly did not expect.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/10/the-arvus-lighter-returns-to-show-the-horus-heresy-that-frills-dont-pay-the-bills/

Always wanted one. I think it looks adorably chubby.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok I burned my package and now my house is gone, so are my dogs and cats. I think I'm clean now.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

GSW is currently beefing we print minis over a terrible automated brush cleaner

https://twitter.com/PrintMiniatures/status/1688052707850895361?s=20

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

In other news, the Arvus Lighter returns in plastic format.

It's still in resin.

However I'd guess that this being 'retooled' at full size means it's been worked on with an updated Epic-scale version in mind... which should now be in plastic. Currently it's the only confirmed Solar Auxillia transport in that scale.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

xtothez posted:

It's still in resin.

However I'd guess that this being 'retooled' at full size means it's been worked on with an updated Epic-scale version in mind... which should now be in plastic. Currently it's the only confirmed Solar Auxillia transport in that scale.

Doh. I must've crossed my wires when I skimmed through the text and noticed the retooled bit.
Frankly it should be available in plastic. Especially now that they squ- votan- got rid of the IA version.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Warhammer Community posted the latest winrates, which show that there is still a lot of work to be done on balance:

I guess I at least feel validated for how much I felt it sucked playing my Sisters into Eldar, so that's something. Also lol at GW absolutely tanking their newest faction.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

World eaters aren't doing great but they're no leagues of votann

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Votann really just feel like they're waiting for the rest of their army, I'm expecting that they will probably have the largest improvement once their codex comes out. Still GW could at least try to pull them out of dumpster tier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ashcans posted:

Warhammer Community posted the latest winrates, which show that there is still a lot of work to be done on balance:

I guess I at least feel validated for how much I felt it sucked playing my Sisters into Eldar, so that's something. Also lol at GW absolutely tanking their newest faction.

I'm curious how space wolves are doing better than BA, because the SW players were dooming over the changes from 9th

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There is probably a certain amount of random variation, which is why they aim for 45-55 rather than a clean 50. I'm not completely sure how they do the math, but there is also a factor that a faction can actually overperform if it's being played by a smaller group. Like if everyone is saying 'wow Space Wolves are going to suck' then you might skew a number of players from either participating or using a different army, and the ones that are left are the ones that feel confident or have a lot of experience, so your player pool for that faction has stronger average players compared to bigger/popular ones. That effect might serve to bump a faction a few points in either direction.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Tyranid win rate is also being inflated a noticeable amount by spore mine shenanigans with objectives. As a Tyranid player I want that fixed because using spore mines for objectives just feels stupid and I don't like doing it, but it's the only way to even hold on to what we have at the moment. As soon as it is fixed things will probably go to poo poo and I'm not super confident GW will be willing to go the extra mental step of "Oh if we fix this problem by taking away their big point generating tool other stuff might have to be fixed at the same time."

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It’ll probably depend on how they count the marine factions now. Are space wolves in a gladius detachment space wolves or space marines for the stat tracking?

bird food bathtub posted:

The Tyranid win rate is also being inflated a noticeable amount by spore mine shenanigans with objectives. As a Tyranid player I want that fixed because using spore mines for objectives just feels stupid and I don't like doing it, but it's the only way to even hold on to what we have at the moment. As soon as it is fixed things will probably go to poo poo and I'm not super confident GW will be willing to go the extra mental step of "Oh if we fix this problem by taking away their big point generating tool other stuff might have to be fixed at the same time."

This is one of my problems with how the approach the balancing. There’s basically one true tournament build of GSC based around spamming a few characters that looks miserable to play and I worry my army will get slapped down for trying to run an actual army when GW over corrects.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 10, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'd be curious to know if its the BA and SW units or the BA and SW characters being tracked. Maybe Gladius + Wolves is better than Blood Angels, even if their own detachment is overall worse.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Gonna do my part tanking that GSC winrate once my army is painted

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm curious as to what's being counted as a chapter army.

Is it using the datasheets? Is it using the detachment rules? Is it both?

e:fb

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, I am working on the final section of the OP, the final section is about the hobby and how to make yourself a big-dick G warhammer dude, if you have any online stores or hobby shops or specific places you go to for all of your hobby needs or painting tutorials or anything like that it would save me some time.

I am already going to put the following sites:-

ebay, Etsy, Green Stuff World, and a couple places for 3D pringting STL's for custom scenery.

I am going to recommend a bunch of youtube painting tutorials like Duncan rhodes and such.

Also any community websites and places to find other warhammer fans.

so if you have sites and channels you think should be in the OP let me know!

Michigan Toy Soldier: good online store, 10% discount if you sign up an account
Redgrass Games: awesome wet palletes
The Magnet Baron: sells magnet kits for drat near every GW kit
A-Case: magnet cases. pricey but great quality
The Mighty Brush: awesome transfers
Alpha Game Table: fold up 8x4' table for wargames
Gamers Grass: awesome basing tufts and pre-made bases. Fun alien neon colors
Tablewar: great for mats for wargames, also has nice carry cases, and a cool photo backdrop, the macromat!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh also KR Multicases are great, and they used to sponsor the paint thread back in the day.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Their UK equivalent is Navara Cases in this case.

Then Rosemary & Co for really good brushes.

While belonging more in the painting thread perhaps, WarColours Shop might be a fun addition if you're looking for different paints, with the highlight being the 94 nostalgia series.
Also, free gravy during purchases.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 10, 2023

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm curious how space wolves are doing better than BA, because the SW players were dooming over the changes from 9th

someone said that the winning SW lists are using the Gladius Task Force detachment, so basically SW have better units than other chapters but are using vanilla SM rules to best effect.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cooked Auto posted:

Their UK equivalent is Navara Cases in this case.

Then Rosemary & Co for really good brushes.

While belonging more in the painting thread perhaps, WarColours Shop might be a fun addition if you're looking for different paints, with the highlight being the 94 nostalgia series.
Also, free gravy during purchases.

Michigan Toy Soldier imports Rosemary & Co. Series 33 and rebrands them. I guess there is/was some nonsense about importing sable brushes, they were hard to get in the US for a bit.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jassi007 posted:

someone said that the winning SW lists are using the Gladius Task Force detachment, so basically SW have better units than other chapters but are using vanilla SM rules to best effect.

That's what I figured was happening.

Also in the op there should be the description of the diy magnetic case (magnets on models, sheet metal/baking tray in a box or an Ikea kvissle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Didn't Michigan Toy Soldier's owner turn out to be a creep?