Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Today I had the Fire-EMT truck run a red and almost hook me. That's a new one for me.

No siren and not in any sort of hurry (aside from running the red).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

just trying to drum up some business on their lunch break

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SteveBilicki/status/1688731962536607744

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

On the barrier, part of the barrier.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So wildly dangerous too. That thing is very liable to flip all the way over once it's off

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm the third guy who seems to plan to cushion the car with his own body, should it come loose

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

genericnick posted:

I'm the third guy who seems to plan to cushion the car with his own body, should it come loose

He's a Jeep guy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the discourse is in Filipino so I'm not going to post it directly, but the local news interviewed a cycling advocate to ask them about more bus operators wanting to run in Manila

the interviewee said that they oppose the bus operators petition to remove the bike lanes and give the lanes over to the buses, and that instead, one more private car/general traffic lane should be given up to become a bus-exclusive lane

the news framed the story as "Cyclists Oppose More Buses in the Metro, Says It Will Only Increase Traffic"

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

the news framed the story as "Cyclists Oppose More Buses in the Metro, Says It Will Only Increase Traffic"

news gonna news

at least one of the locally run outfits here gives sympathetic coverage to transit and cycling :unsmith: but the big newspapers are similar

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cars are killing us in really loving interesting ways
Study links air pollution to rising antibiotic resistance levels

www.cidrap.umn.edu posted:

A new study led by scientists in China and the United Kingdom suggests that curbing air pollution could help mitigate the impact of antibiotic resistance.

The modeling study, published yesterday in The Lancet Planetary Health, found a significant correlation between airborne particulate matter and aggregate antibiotic resistance levels, an association the researchers say is consistent across the globe and has grown stronger over time. In a scenario where countries implemented World Health Organization (WHO)-recommended policies to limit air pollution, the researchers estimate that premature deaths attributable to resistant bacteria could be reduced more than 20% by 2050.

Although the study authors acknowledge that more evidence is needed to verify the link, and that antibiotic overuse and misuse are still the main drivers of AMR, they say the findings provide more information on the role the environment plays in spreading resistant bacteria, and they suggest that controlling air pollution could present a new pathway for fighting antibiotic resistance.

"Until now, we didn’t have a clear picture of the possible links between the two, but this work suggests the benefits of controlling air pollution could be two-fold: not only will it reduce the harmful effects of poor air quality, it could also play a major role in combatting the rise and spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria," lead study author Hong Chen, PhD, of Zhejiang University said in a Lancet press release.

### Antibiotic resistance genes in polluted air

The study, conducted by Chen and colleagues from Zhejiang University and the University of Cambridge, builds on previous research that has identified the presence of antibiotic-resistance genes in source-specific and ambient air. Among the published research is a paper from 2018 that revealed the presence and abundance of 30 antibiotic-resistance gene subtypes in air samples from 19 cities in 13 countries. Other studies have found that the abundance of resistance genes in urban air is higher than resistance genes found in soil and river water.

Just as people can be exposed to resistant bacteria via food, water, and soil, Chen and his colleagues say this research suggests people can also be exposed to resistant bacteria trapped in airborne fine particulate matter (PM2.5), the most dangerous airborne pollutant. Inhalation of this bacteria could result in infections in the respiratory-tract system and other parts of the body, since PM2.5 can also penetrate the lung barrier and enter the blood system.

Although the underlying mechanism for how air pollution affects antibiotic resistance remains unclear, the study is the first to estimate the global associations between PM2.5 and clinical antibiotic resistance.

"Empirical evidence of the effects of PM2.5 on population-level antibiotic resistance that enable the global impact to be assessed is clearly needed," the authors wrote. "The air environment can cross regional boundaries and spread antibiotic resistance over long distances and on a large scale, which could be a crucial link between the dissemination of environmental and human antibiotic resistance."

For their analysis, the researchers used data collected from 116 countries from 2000 through 2018, including raw antibiotic resistance data on 11.5 million tested isolates covering nine bacterial pathogens and 43 types of antibiotic agents. In addition to air pollution, they also evaluated data on other factors that have been linked to rising antibiotic resistance levels, including antibiotic use, sanitation services, economics, healthcare spending, population, education, and climate.

quote:

The air environment can cross regional boundaries and spread antibiotic resistance over long distances and on a large scale, which could be a crucial link between the dissemination of environmental and human antibiotic resistance.

The analysis found that an increase in 1% of PM2.5 across regions was associated with increases in resistance ranging from of 0.5% to 1.9% in each of the nine pathogens. In addition, changes in PM2.5 concentration were linked to large increases in resistance since 2013. It also showed that the magnitude of the contribution of PM2.5 to aggregate antibiotic resistance is greater than factors like drinking water and healthcare expenditures. The researchers estimated that antibiotic resistance derived from PM2.5 caused an estimated 480,000 premature deaths in and 18.3 million years of life lost in 2018.

### Limiting pollution could reduce resistance, attributable deaths

The researchers then modeled a set of scenarios to project how PM2.5 might affect antibiotic resistance and premature deaths in the future. If no policies to reduce air pollution were implemented and other factors were unchanged (the baseline scenario), they estimate that antibiotic resistance and premature deaths attributable to resistant pathogens would increase by 17% and 56.4%, respectively, by 2050, with the biggest impact seen in sub-Saharan Africa.

Several scenarios estimated that increasing healthcare spending, improving access to clean drinking water, and reducing antibiotic would significantly reduce levels of antibiotic resistance. In a scenario where countries implemented policies to limit the annual PM2.5 concentration to 5 micrograms per cubic meter, the researchers estimated a 16.8% decrease in global antibiotic resistance and 23.4% reduction in attributable deaths compared with the baseline, with countries in North Africa and west Asia benefitting the most.

"Together, these results suggest that, although measures of other drivers of antibiotic resistance are still needed, controlling PM2.5 could be a promising way to reduce global antibiotic resistance," Chen and his colleagues wrote.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1689301685787615233?s=20

David Simon is famous for The Wire and other series about policing etc.

So it’s very funny that he’s bitching about something where he’s objectively wrong. Sorry you were caught in a school zone. Maybe just don’t speed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmfao

NYC only gets more livable the more hostile to cars it gets, it's a shame they won't fully commit. Yankees do suck tho, no argument there

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I love how "speeding" isn't considered a crime anymore when people don't want it to be

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Boywhiz88 posted:

So it’s very funny that he’s bitching about something where he’s objectively wrong. Sorry you were caught in a school zone. Maybe just don’t speed.
$50 fine in a school zone is insane. Here in Sweden, you're eligible for getting your license suspended.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I know, 50 bucks lmao. Jesus christ the moneyed are demented

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

If they just stopped and waited like 30 seconds there would have been no problem
There's never 30 or even 10 seconds to spare to be safe. Only to yell or brake check other road users.

Groda posted:

$50 fine in a school zone is insane. Here in Sweden, you're eligible for getting your license suspended.
It's even funnier when you know the reason he's getting hit with a school zone violation instead of a speeding one. R's wouldn't let cameras be put out of school zones, so the city peppered them around schools and leave them on 24/7 :getin:

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 09:47 on Aug 10, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

Very low fine, sure. Though to be fair 25 mph speed limit is more akin to 40 km/h - our school zones are 30 km/h which is more like 19 mph. In a 30-zone or less anything more than 20 km/h too fast means grounds for suspended license, at higher speed limits it's 30 over the limit. What I'm getting at is that David Simon would probably get to keep his license if this was in Sweden, at least relatively speaking.

Also, hi thread. I hate cars too. I own one but will go to pretty extreme lengths not to drive it. My wife is much less into bikes than I am so that's my excuse.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I own a lot of cars. By going past them on my bike that's not stuck in traffic

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I also own a car and hate it. I support every measure to penalize car drivers in nyc and have told me councilperson as much (for what that’s worth). I love congestion pricing. I wish we would ban street parking. turn broadway into a parkway. etc.

how many drivers feel like this in nyc? I’m gonna guess not many, but it would be interesting to know, since news/politics people always consider ‘drivers’ one monolith.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

nothing wrong about gently caress the yankees

sim
Sep 24, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

how many drivers feel like this in nyc? I’m gonna guess not many, but it would be interesting to know, since news/politics people always consider ‘drivers’ one monolith.
More than you think, I imagine. People are just A) busy with their lives and don't have time/interest in politics (especially contacting their city council members) and B) unaware that things could be better or different. That's why I really think a lot of good comes from just using your bike for normal things and showing people what's possible.

Whenever I use a cargo bike for anything that's normally done by car (groceries, home improvement supplies, etc.) people are just like baffled at the existence of a cargo bike. "What is that?" "Where did you get it?" "Is it easy to use?"

We're all just fighting against a century of car propaganda so it's kind of impossible

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sim posted:

More than you think, I imagine. People are just A) busy with their lives and don't have time/interest in politics (especially contacting their city council members) and B) unaware that things could be better or different. That's why I really think a lot of good comes from just using your bike for normal things and showing people what's possible.

Whenever I use a cargo bike for anything that's normally done by car (groceries, home improvement supplies, etc.) people are just like baffled at the existence of a cargo bike. "What is that?" "Where did you get it?" "Is it easy to use?"

We're all just fighting against a century of car propaganda so it's kind of impossible

If those things weren't so loving expensive. Not like a car of course, but stilll.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I kinda want to buy an electric cargo bike, but even though it's like 4 months worth of owning a car, it still feels expensive as hell. I don't know how people justify owning cars from an economic perspective.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BonHair posted:

I kinda want to buy an electric cargo bike, but even though it's like 4 months worth of owning a car, it still feels expensive as hell. I don't know how people justify owning cars from an economic perspective.

"If I don't buy this thing I won't be able to go to work and I'll end up homeless"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BonHair posted:

you have to have one to drive to work and to do almost anything in most places in the US. the economic justification is being able to participate in society

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://www.pittsburghforpublictransit.org/cuts-cuts-cuts-new-round-of-service-changes-continues-downward-trend/

The transit authority here put a new CEO in charge a few years ago who only seems to care about winding down service and managed decline, they threw out some 4% service cuts this year on top of 2% service cuts last year, on top of huge cuts in 2017. They've been cutting every year since 2007. There are ~100 routes left, about half of what they ran in 1999.

The pandemic was an opportunity for capital to murder public transit and they're not letting that opportunity go to waste.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

sim posted:

I bought my box bike 12 years ago, moved to Stockholm 10 years ago and brought it with me, and it was just like that. People were baffled, I got all sorts of attention (almost always positive to be fair). Now cargo bikes are a common sight and they're even sold in several big box store chains and not just specialty places. Things can change, and faster than you'd think is what I'm saying.

genericnick posted:

If those things weren't so loving expensive. Not like a car of course, but stilll.
They're not exactly cheap, but with any sensible economic perspective they're a bargain compared to cars. A good one is like 5K new, so a tenth of what a relatively modest but good car new costs these days, very roughly. They're dirt cheap to own and operate compared to cars. I haven't budgeted this but I probably spend over 1K/year on my car without driving it at all just on the cheapest possible insurance, parking, taxes, MOT and so on. Bikes have none of those costs. Fuel, maintenance and repairs on cars depend a lot on what you drive and how much, but it sure adds up. I spend well below 1K yearly on running all my bikes, which includes e-bike battery replacements which are very costly as far as bike parts go, and I bike almost 200km/week just for my work commute.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Study: Bike ownership can save average of 281.4K [Pesos] a year, compared to owning a car

quote:

HAS THE RISE of fuel prices inspired even more people to take up bicycle commuting?

On all Fridays of June, a network of volunteers took to the streets of Iloilo as part of a nationwide initiative called the June Bicycle Count, which is intended to fill in the data gaps about cycling commuters across the Philippines.

Iloilo, judged as the most bike-friendly city in the country by the Mobility Awards, saw a 33 percent increase between the first counting day on June 3, and the second count on June 17.

June also saw a significant spike in pump prices, as well as a “controversial new transport route plan for public jeepneys” in Iloilo, reported the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Whatever the reason for commuters to hop onto their bikes, a team of researchers released a study hoping to quantify the benefits of cycling in a language everyone can understand: cold, hard cash.

The result was a study conducted over the last quarter of 2021, focused on Metro Manila and published as a document entitled “Bikenomics: Assessing the Value of Cycling in the Philippines.” (You can view the full report here.)

“We saw over the pandemic how more and more people had shifted to cycling as a mode of transportation,” said Cola Cobarrubias, a BS Industrial Engineering Student at the University of the Philippine Diliman, who was part of the Bikenomics research team. “It’s an integral part of our post-Covid recovery solution, most especially now that we are experiencing a global oil crisis.

She added: “We wanted to dig deep at specific numbers.”

The research team focused on four key areas: Infrastructure and Business; Health; Energy and Environment; and Community Impact.

Perhaps of greatest interest to the general public is the first section, which weighed the cost benefits of bikes, both on a macro (building a bike lane versus building an existing road) and a micro level (how much a commuter will save in terms of time when using a bike).

They even put a price tag on how much money you can save when owning a bike versus owning a car.

“Adding all of these up and comparing [motor vehicle ownership] to bike ownership, biking can save an average of P281,461.92 (EUR5,026.10) annually,” claimed the report.

In a webinar presenting the results of the study, environmental planner Keisha Mayuga added, "Take note, we computed this end of 2021, so it might be higher now with the fuel prices."

Elsewhere, the research team also said that biking generates “P0.26 worth of health cost savings for every kilometer cycled.” Extrapolating this figure further, they concluded that even if just 5 percent of total Metro Manila trips are done on bicycles, this would result in annual health cost savings of P738.3 million — the equivalent, says the report, of 246 kilometers of bike lanes.

Speaking of bike lanes, the study also claimed that building a new bike lane on an existing road would save the Philippine government around P26.8 million per kilometer, versus building a new car lane.

“Considering the great majority of households that do not own private vehicles, building bike lanes is more cost-effective and quite literally leads to and can further increase savings on other factors identified in this section,” wrote the team.

Other data analyzed by the team include a qualitative look at how cycling promoted social cohesion and social initiatives, as well as benefited mobility opportunities for women and the LBTQ+ community.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

running errands on the bike ftw

i have to go to the office a few days next week and have to drive there, extremely fail

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Gradenko I gotta say I really enjoy your updates on cycling in the Philippines. it's nice to get a break from america's toxic miasma by occasionally getting a glimpse of someone else's toxic miasma

goons around the world, please let us know what's up with the war on cars in your neck of the woods

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

goons around the world, please let us know what's up with the war on cars in your neck of the woods

Denver is installing more and more bike lanes, curb bulbs, diverters, and roundabouts in its Capitol Hill neighborhood, which according to some locals is tantamount to a genocide on drivers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We have some large colleges and universities here, so fall is a dangerous time when all the students come back. There are like 40,000 of them. Most have only been driving for a few years, don't know where they're going, haven't learned to calm down, got up too late for class, and were probably up late drinking the night before. I always have my worst close calls in August and September, mostly in crosswalks with signals. I live for danger though. Danger like.. going to work in the morning.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We have some large colleges and universities here, so fall is a dangerous time when all the students come back. There are like 40,000 of them. Most have only been driving for a few years, don't know where they're going, haven't learned to calm down, got up too late for class, and were probably up late drinking the night before. I always have my worst close calls in August and September, mostly in crosswalks with signals. I live for danger though. Danger like.. going to work in the morning.

whats the bike infrastructure like? university towns seem like they should have a lot of it even in america

Invalido posted:

moved to Stockholm

my condolences

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Montreal also gets a lot of foreign students in the downtown universities (like from the US) who have never walked in a real city, so cycling in late August and September is an adventure in predicting suicidal pedestrian behaviour, and the absolute dumbest poo poo anyone has ever done on a bike.

Still prefer it over driver behaviour in November once they collectively decide that bicycles are suddenly banned from being anywhere they can see them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

So apparently the promised fix (lane reduction + crosswalk) for state street in springfield, ma across from the public library, the location given as an example of bad road design given in the beginning of Confessions of a Recovering Engineer, still unsurprisingly hasn't materialized: https://mass.streetsblog.org/2023/07/21/springfield-librarians-protest-citys-failure-to-fix-deadly-pedestrian-crossing-on-state-street

Confessions of a Recovering Engineer was published in like 2021 and was talking about a kid dying there in 2014, but then another person died in 2021 and the town announced plans to reduce the number of lanes there and install a crosswalk, which then got pushed back to supposedly being done in spring 2023, but of course nothing has actually happened

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Aug 10, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Megamissen posted:

whats the bike infrastructure like? university towns seem like they should have a lot of it even in america

Better than most of the US, but still not great. I can actually commute most of the way on a separated bike path, but that still involves some significant street crossings that are impossible to navigate on bike. For example: the first street on leaving my neighborhood. Car traffic will be so backed up for miles that I literally can't enter or cross the street. So instead I can ride down the crumbling sidewalk and use a crosswalk. This is illegal though. I could walk my bike, but gently caress everything about that. I usually walk the whole way instead because it's easier, but drivers will literally speed up, yell obscenities, and honk at me when I use the crosswalks. There are a lot more people getting around on bikes and scooters in recent years though, so I'm pretty positive about the situation over all.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Megamissen posted:

lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
when the infrastructure is good in your college town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"If I don't buy this thing I won't be able to go to work and I'll end up homeless"

Yeah, but like in a sane ish country. All my neighbours have cars for good knows what reason.