Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

You’re looking at like $2k plus for a 30TB ION but they are beautiful things

The p5316 absolutely needs a massive price slash but that doesn’t look like it’s happened based off a quick google. But I assume enterprise parts vendors just set the price once and never bother to change

Yeah I'm still on the fence but I might go for used 16 TB models off eBay at worst. Using them as HDD replacements I am not worried at all about DWPD / wear / IOPS.

Any thoughts / recommendations on a backplane (or case, I guess) for U.2 drives? At one point I wanted to cram this all into a Node 804 but it'll just get too hacky / 3d Printed / thermal issues so I'll just do a separate box. This is the 'best' I could find right now: https://global.icydock.com/product_351.html

quote:

3 x SlimSAS SFF-8654 8i, pin-out defined by SFF-9402 Rev 1.1
(Tri-mode HBA/RAID card compatible)

And I would replace the 40mm w/ Noctuas + a custom fan controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

I forget if I posted this already, a friend/ex coworker sent me this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=254&v=IFwFDZDQWAA&feature=youtu.be

Watching him puzzle out how a pcie switch works is amusing to me (I worked on that exact one)

With the sheer amount of PCIe 5.0 lanes on Zen 4, I feel like it's a decent idea to use a PCIe 5.0 switch as a bandwidth bridge to cover PCIe 4.0 U.2 drives. The real guys are of course just buying EPYC but I wish there was a market for home users who want:

* Lower TDP CPUs (e.g. Ryzen 7600)
* Lots of PCIe lanes for used enterprise U.2 NVMe to have large amounts of flash JBOD storage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

With the sheer amount of PCIe 5.0 lanes on Zen 4, I feel like it's a decent idea to use a PCIe 5.0 switch as a bandwidth bridge to cover PCIe 4.0 U.2 drives. The real guys are of course just buying EPYC but I wish there was a market for home users who want:

* Lower TDP CPUs (e.g. Ryzen 7600)
* Lots of PCIe lanes for used enterprise U.2 NVMe to have large amounts of flash JBOD storage

It would be really cool to have an external enclosure with an edge card to 0.5m cable to a box with a backplane for 8 gen4 x4 drives.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

It would be really cool to have an external enclosure with an edge card to 0.5m cable to a box with a backplane for 8 gen4 x4 drives.

Are people still doing PCIe over fiber? QSFP28 modules would probably work for a few lanes...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

Are people still doing PCIe over fiber? QSFP28 modules would probably work for a few lanes...

Yes! It's something we should actually start seeing more of. Samtec has really been trying to get that going with individual modules that could do Gen4 x4 that just clip on the board near a package, then flywire (fibre?) over to a backplane for up to 100m lengths.

I would not be surprised to see more coming with Gen5 support for rack based CXL memory pooling applications as well - the issue potentially being the latency though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That video reminds of the one Samsung put out many years ago now where their interns put a bunch of SSDs in a RAID0 setup and put it on Youtube when it was kind of a new site. The performance they got with like 16 drives then is not that different in sequential transactions to what a mid-range PCI-e 3.0 NVMe SSD does now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I am actually an idiot and should just go buy SAS SSDs if I truly just want HDD replacement flash.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

movax posted:

I am actually an idiot and should just go buy SAS SSDs if I truly just want HDD replacement flash.

How are the prices on those? I wonder if they're dropping as enterprise moves to all NVMe solutions.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Hey guys, I need to get a replacement ssd for my mom's laptop. She doesn't use much space so I don't need much. Pretty much anything is going to be overkill.

I just don't want to get caught out on one of the drives that is terrible for random reads (O/S) iirc... but I can't remember what the crappy feature is called...

I plan to buy one from MicroCenter and install it this weekend.
Is this $25 Inland "professional" one of the crappy ones?
https://www.microcenter.com/product/659868/inland-professional-512gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-30-6-gbps-25-inch-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive

Also, I would prefer to get a drive with clone/backup software since Macrium Reflect isn't free anymore I'm hearing?

any recommendations? Thanks so much everyone.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

movax posted:

What's the state of the art for doing a JBOD like setup w/ NVMe drives on ZFS or btrfs?

Consider using Truenas Scale. It Just Works.

You know I gotta ask it: what's your use case? I'd usually be wary of setting up an nvme jbod right now because of the expense of installing high capacity nvme in a system, what with all the extra cards that you will need. SATA SSDs are rear end cheap now and very, very hilariously fast in software RAID, even on a low power and low cost Intel stack, if you'd believe that (and if you don't need anything extra like streaming transcoding).

priznat posted:

How are the prices on those? I wonder if they're dropping as enterprise moves to all NVMe solutions.

They're dropping if you're buying through a VAR. I wouldn't buy any secondhand SAS SSDs right now. Businesses dumping them right now would have installed them around ehhhh 2019 +/- 2 years, so unless you're restricting yourself to buying the 400gb mixed use dell/Toshiba drives ubiquitously kitted out as OS/scratch drives, these will have been installed mostly by people who had a hard life in mind for them.

Well, maybe that's not true. If you could get lucky and get in touch with some schmuck SMB still running VMware that mindlessly bought hilariously overspecced ssd storage....

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 9, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

namlosh posted:

Hey guys, I need to get a replacement ssd for my mom's laptop. She doesn't use much space so I don't need much. Pretty much anything is going to be overkill.

I just don't want to get caught out on one of the drives that is terrible for random reads (O/S) iirc... but I can't remember what the crappy feature is called...

I plan to buy one from MicroCenter and install it this weekend.
Is this $25 Inland "professional" one of the crappy ones?
https://www.microcenter.com/product/659868/inland-professional-512gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-30-6-gbps-25-inch-7mm-internal-solid-state-drive

Also, I would prefer to get a drive with clone/backup software since Macrium Reflect isn't free anymore I'm hearing?

any recommendations? Thanks so much everyone.

Get her a Crucial MX500 for very little additional cost and put your mind at ease knowing it'll be very very reliable. You could probably get away with 256GB if someone is relatively careful about not downloading everything they see on the Internet or all their pictures, but with 512 you'll basically never have to worry about it. Up to you.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&ntt=crucial+mx500

Reflect Free will be going away in 2024 but you can still download the free version for now.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Get her a Crucial MX500 for very little additional cost and put your mind at ease knowing it'll be very very reliable. You could probably get away with 256GB if someone is relatively careful about not downloading everything they see on the Internet or all their pictures, but with 512 you'll basically never have to worry about it. Up to you.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&ntt=crucial+mx500

Reflect Free will be going away in 2024 but you can still download the free version for now.

Awesome, thanks so much!
I'm going to get this one:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/502348/crucial-mx500-500gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive
She'll never burn through 512GB

So out of curiosity, the drive above is TLC.
Is it QLC that's to be avoided for anything with long reads/writes or as an O/S boot drive?
Plus I guess 3D NAND is the new normal... I used to be caught up on this tech but I'm not at all anymore, lol.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

With a sufficiently large amount of fast cache for writes, QLC is probably just fine for most folks, but if you just want to not worry about it then TLC is the right move.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Helter Skelter posted:

With a sufficiently large amount of fast cache for writes, QLC is probably just fine for most folks, but if you just want to not worry about it then TLC is the right move.

Coolio, thanks for the great info

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

1) Fast Lane. This just seems like better/smarter utilization of the SLC cache. Instead of random bits moving in and out of it, more important stuff will get pegged in to it. Still doesn't help if your drive is full though. Also lol this is like Optane caching but now with SLC

Bumping an old post but yes, this is proprietary vendor unique commands to send hot/cold hints about the data to the controller and no they have no interest in pushing it back into the spec (no competitive advantage in that case)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

They're roughly within 10 - 15% pricing of the mainstream consumer pricing. A vendor accidentally shipped me an 18TB SAS drive rather than SATA and I saw that the price difference was maybe $10 - $20 USD so it seems to be following similar price curves with the mainstream on the spinning rust aspect of the market. 2.5" SAS SSDs (namely the Nitro series) I ordered last year roughly were pretty close to consumer pricing at the time (read: not that great). Looking around now they haven't followed suit with the NVMe drive drops going on for about half a year now a Nitro 3750 400 GB drive is still $307 on CDW. We bought I think 24 3.84TB drives about $800 each from CDW which was pretty nice but is roughly the cost of a brand new car these days and probably not appropriate for a home lab.

I'm not quite sure how these will work in terms of pricing as enterprises rotate out of SAS over the coming few years but I don't think it'll be a slam dunk win for home lab dirt cheap target pricing. The first generation Xeon D systems are still rather pricey for being about 7 - 8 years old now, for example.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

They're roughly within 10 - 15% pricing of the mainstream consumer pricing. A vendor accidentally shipped me an 18TB SAS drive rather than SATA and I saw that the price difference was maybe $10 - $20 USD so it seems to be following similar price curves with the mainstream on the spinning rust aspect of the market. 2.5" SAS SSDs (namely the Nitro series) I ordered last year roughly were pretty close to consumer pricing at the time (read: not that great). Looking around now they haven't followed suit with the NVMe drive drops going on for about half a year now a Nitro 3750 400 GB drive is still $307 on CDW. We bought I think 24 3.84TB drives about $800 each from CDW which was pretty nice but is roughly the cost of a brand new car these days and probably not appropriate for a home lab.

I'm not quite sure how these will work in terms of pricing as enterprises rotate out of SAS over the coming few years but I don't think it'll be a slam dunk win for home lab dirt cheap target pricing. The first generation Xeon D systems are still rather pricey for being about 7 - 8 years old now, for example.

Yeah, agreed they’ll taper off the manufacturing of SAS but if there was a supply glut there could be some sweet bargains.. sounds like that was not the case though

I wonder if manufacturers were even taking inventory and removing the flash for repurposing on nvme or other more in demand items (I had heard of similar things for other products but probably the nand isn’t in as tight supply as things like clock buffers and certain fpgas)

Also those Xeon D 1500s are really sweet chips. They’re such perfect machines for home servers/NAS applications it is really baffling why Intel didn’t try to get into or even create that market with partners who could make them user friendly/quiet/low power appliances.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The Xeon D 1500 series as I understand it went to hyper scalers primarily in CDNs and folks that needed more of that "edge computing" buzzword like 7 years ago but that's kind of fallen for reasons I'm not quite familiar. I had a 1500 for a while and it wasn't that much faster than my Xeon E3-1230 frankly and because I went to solar power I saw less need. Additionally, these are old parts now and with newer Xeon D chips supporting DDR5 and PCI-e 4+ finally it's silly to buy something that won't last all that much. Granted, I am now sitting on about 1TB of RDIMMs (64GB ones at that) with no idea wtf to do with them so maybe I should have held onto that board.

My conjecture for the SAS v NVMe situation is due to over-manufacturing on the NVMe channel while SAS is sitting at replacement levels for the foreseeable future with long term enterprise contracts such as with DoD there's not much reason to budge on SAS pricing when competition for downward pricing is mostly for NVMe. Unless manufacturers are willing to start writing off all that inventory I don't see why they would be trying to convert it to price-dropping NVMe unless there's a huge warehouse glut sort of like what happened with wholesale oil prices years ago. But because those long term contracts are pretty stable they should be able to reliably predict shipments.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I got one free m2 SATA slot on my motherboard and unless I want to use SATA SSDs with cables and poo poo it’s my only option for more storage. Am I stuck looking for old 850 evos or does anyone reputable still make drives for that sort of slot?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

UHD posted:

I got one free m2 SATA slot on my motherboard and unless I want to use SATA SSDs with cables and poo poo it’s my only option for more storage. Am I stuck looking for old 850 evos or does anyone reputable still make drives for that sort of slot?

WD still makes the WD Blue in m.2 sata.

But for god's sake just have a cable, m.2 sata is a dead format and current mobos don't support it at all. You're buying something that will be trash in your next upgrade.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Klyith posted:

WD still makes the WD Blue in m.2 sata.

But for god's sake just have a cable, m.2 sata is a dead format and current mobos don't support it at all. You're buying something that will be trash in your next upgrade.

For reuse it might be preferable option to get an USB enclosure for the M.2 SATA instead keeping a cabled SATA drive on the future computer.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Or a USB enclosure with UASP for a 2.5" SATA drive so you have more choice now and can still find replacement disks in a few years :v:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah I accidentally bought a very cheap sata m.2 drive. Amazon gave me back my money and said keep it. I got this enclosure for it that apparently supports both sata and nvme, so even something like that may get reused for something else if the drive ever goes bad or of I need to clone from/to an nvme drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saukkis posted:

For reuse it might be preferable option to get an USB enclosure for the M.2 SATA instead keeping a cabled SATA drive on the future computer.

Standard internal sata connections aren't going away any time soon. (HDDs still exist)

I don't know what type of weird OCD people work themselves into, that you would rather have a *cabled* USB enclosure outside your PC than a cabled drive inside it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

I don't know what type of weird OCD people work themselves into, that you would rather have a *cabled* USB enclosure outside your PC than a cabled drive inside it.
It's not get a usb enclosure now, it's the sata drive is not worthless when you phase out that motherboard, you can get an enclosure then.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i don't really intend to upgrade this machine for several years and if usb enclosures are a thing then i'm not going to be concerned about a drive being useless in the future. that said, i asked mostly out of curiosity since i don't have an immediate need for extra storage but when you install a new 100GB game you start to wonder.

thank you for the food for thought everyone.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Klyith posted:

Standard internal sata connections aren't going away any time soon. (HDDs still exist)

The purpose is not to expand externally, it's to get a better USB stick. I have a USB-SATA adapter to easily connect drives, but I mostly use it as an external with an old, too small SATA SSD I had laying around, for example as recording storage for TV. M.2 would be much nicer form factor.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
with acer's upcoming orion sff case, you won't have to choose between hot swappable storage and m.2 drives!

the flap at the front is where you slot in the drive. pretty neat

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 10, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kliras posted:

with acer's upcoming orion sff case, you won't have to choose between hot swappable storage and m.2 drives!

the flap at the front is where you slot in the drive. pretty neat

that's a warp core ready to be ejected.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So it looks like SanDisk Extreme Portable SSDs are being universally reviled by a lot of major tech sites like ArsTechnica, PetaPixel, the Verge...

https://petapixel.com/2023/08/08/sandisk-portable-ssds-are-failing-so-frequently-we-can-no-longer-recommend-them/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/22/23733267/sandisk-extreme-pro-failure-ssd-firmware

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/sandisk-extreme-ssds-keep-abruptly-failing-firmware-fix-for-only-some-promised/

https://www.reddit.com/r/editors/comments/10qbn3a/potential_trouble_with_sandisk_extreme_pro_ssds/

Their only response to all of this, so far, is to issue s firmware patch for 4 TB units only, but it seems all of their capacities for this model are affected.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Binary Badger posted:

So it looks like SanDisk Extreme Portable SSDs are being universally reviled by a lot of major tech sites like ArsTechnica, PetaPixel, the Verge...

https://petapixel.com/2023/08/08/sandisk-portable-ssds-are-failing-so-frequently-we-can-no-longer-recommend-them/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/22/23733267/sandisk-extreme-pro-failure-ssd-firmware

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/05/sandisk-extreme-ssds-keep-abruptly-failing-firmware-fix-for-only-some-promised/

https://www.reddit.com/r/editors/comments/10qbn3a/potential_trouble_with_sandisk_extreme_pro_ssds/

Their only response to all of this, so far, is to issue s firmware patch for 4 TB units only, but it seems all of their capacities for this model are affected.

haha, the petapixel article’s list of “related articles” included the one recommending the Extreme Portable, which they have notably not updated to be any less effusive in its praise for the device

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
im a luddite who would just use a standard nvme drive in a usb 3.2 enclosure

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

making a frowny face when my mx500 in a sata to usb enclosure transfers at a brisk 260mb/sec because it only handshaked to usb 3.0 5gbps mode instead of the 3.1 10gbps it was supposedly capable of

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I recently transferred a bunch of stuff over to an 8tb Samsung 870 in a USB enclosure. The other day I went to play some music and started getting messages that the folder I was trying to use was inaccessible or corrupted. I ran chkdsk /f /r and after about 8 hours it spit out this message.

The directories are now accessible but the music players won't play the files in them. Samsung wizard won't do anything with the drive because it's in an enclosure. How do I tell if it's an issue with the drive/bad sectors vs a problem with the initial transfer of files? Should I be returning it? Just recopy the files? It has me spooked since this was going to be my daily driver low write/high read media drive for a while.

edit: I should add that except for a number of music directories the things I've tested seem to work. I have only tried a small sample though.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 11, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The directories are now accessible but the music players won't play the files in them. Samsung wizard won't do anything with the drive because it's in an enclosure. How do I tell if it's an issue with the drive/bad sectors vs a problem with the initial transfer of files? Should I be returning it? Just recopy the files? It has me spooked since this was going to be my daily driver low write/high read media drive for a while.

edit: I should add that except for a number of music directories the things I've tested seem to work. I have only tried a small sample though.

CrystalDiskInfo should read the drive's SMART info even through the USB enclosure, if it's a standard generic USB-sata thing. That'll get you drive health stats.

Besides the drive or an error with the initial transfer / filesystem fuckup, there's also the possibility that your enclosure is the problem. Some USB enclosures list a maximum drive size, you might want to check yours? I have no idea why a sata to USB mass storage chip would have a max size, but some do.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Klyith posted:

CrystalDiskInfo should read the drive's SMART info even through the USB enclosure, if it's a standard generic USB-sata thing. That'll get you drive health stats.

Besides the drive or an error with the initial transfer / filesystem fuckup, there's also the possibility that your enclosure is the problem. Some USB enclosures list a maximum drive size, you might want to check yours? I have no idea why a sata to USB mass storage chip would have a max size, but some do.

Thank you. I'm kind of leaning towards the filesystem fuckup impacting initial transfer theory but I'm open to ideas.

Here's what CrystalDiskInfo showed.

and this is the enclosure: it's spec up to 8tb, but I'm open to faster alternatives. I got this one because it was cheap and bus powered.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 11, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also, some enclosures have RealTek controllers, others have VIA, others Phison.. this is what keeps Linux developers busy writing device drivers for all the USB controllers out there coming from about 24 major chipset vendors, which also include Intel and proprietary controllers made by the storage companies themselves.

There's also literally no guarantee that one chipset will work 100% with a given different chipset. Your laptop might have a Intel USB chipset but it might not talk to the no-name chipset in the enclosure you bought from AliExpress for $9.95

When you buy USB to SATA enclosures for platter drives it's the same, like once I bought an Inland 3.5" enclosure and printed right on the box it said it only supported up to 4 TB drives. Want to put in something bigger? Pony up for another brand that lists a maximum 8 TB supported.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Some USB enclosures list a maximum drive size, you might want to check yours? I have no idea why a sata to USB mass storage chip would have a max size, but some do.
I've had several with a 2TB limit, here's some guy speculating. I can't verify or understand any of that. I think, because this was a thing, manufacturers now list a drive size to indicate it works with drives larger than 2TB, but stick to existing drive sizes at the moment of release as not to get caught out. Even though when it supports drives over 2TB, it should be good for the next 30 years or so.

E: also if checkdisk comes back like that I'd work from the point of view that everything is corrupted.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thank you. I'm kind of leaning towards the filesystem fuckup impacting initial transfer theory but I'm open to ideas.

Here's what CrystalDiskInfo showed.

Well, the drive thinks everything is fine -- no errors at all, even the unimportant ones like CRC error.

I don't know how the hell the OS would gently caress up copying files like that, but it's possible I guess.

I'd say wipe the drive and redo from start. As Flipper says, you can't really trust anything you wrote the first time, and if you still have the source data better to just do the whole thing over again. If it happens again I'd look skeptically at the enclosure. Sabrent is usually fine though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I got a new computer recently, and I was looking to add some additional storage to it.

Currently, it has a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVME, which has the OS on it, along with some games/apps and miscellaneous files. Originally I wanted to do a 4TB, but it would have cost a lot more. I'd like to add another M.2 stick but I don't know if with the board I have (MSI Pro Z790-A WiFi DDR5) if I can add another M.2 without sacrificing performance (as I learned that depending on the slot(s) you use, it will downgrade the PCIe lanes for the graphics card).

For an 2.5" SSD, I was thinking about one of the Samsung 4TB drives (either the EVO or QVO, I forget what the difference other than one handles data differently), which are both around $200 on Amazon. I looked at the WD SSDs, but it seem like they only have the 2.5" in the Blue and Red version; the WD_Black is M.2 only.

In addition to the SSD, I was also planning on adding a HDD. I was thinking about the Seagate Barracuda 8TB, which is about $120 on Amazon. Dunno if there's something better to go with.