Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zodium posted:

Tech workers react to UPS drivers landing a $170,000-a-year package with a mixture of anger and admiration

going to be more of this as the west continues to lose control of the periphery and the ruling class needs fewer bureaucrats to administrate the imperialist machinery.

Learn how to code deliver packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmmm those tech bros should form a union if they want more money

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

"oh no without a 400 mile range in our bigass escalade we will have range anxiety!!!!" it's called a plug-in hybrid!!!! Gimme 75 miles of all-electric and a lovely little 100 hp range extender!

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
it’s gonna rule when capital succeeds at coming for us computer touchers, it’ll also be really easy because we possess little to no class consciousness.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
“a bloo bloo bloo I’m a staff engineer and I make way less than a delivery driver.
but unions are for blue collar types, not me, an important knowledge worker”

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Lol that just yesterday the Times published an article about how scary deflation is and that real estate prices going down is going to lead to.the collapse of the chinese state. We love inflation now the more the better

inflation welcome to the resistance

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tech workers can suck my dick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

it’s gonna rule when capital succeeds at coming for us computer touchers, it’ll also be really easy because we possess little to no class consciousness.

well the entire industry was well coddled with the intent of preventing the development of consciousness. As conditions worsen you will all get there too by survival instincts, no worries.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tech work scales a lot more than law, banking or consulting since you're not pinning each staff to a specific set of billables or P&L

It's also the field where I've seen the most folks retire early in their 40s - there's less of a lifestyle creep that I've seen with other PMCs

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1689565450596720640?t=4FYNgBe8e3hnj5Lbx-IsdA&s=19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pure fantasy. When the August report comes in hot the fed will go +.25 in September. stay malding bankers

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

can't wait for my brodozer's full LCD touchscreen dashboard to have a null pointer exception and lock me out of the windshield wipers, heater controls, and turn signals

now excuse me while I stare down at the LCD to create a new music playlist while i'm driving at 87 miles an hour in the rain

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm begging you please, PLEASE just make an electric compact

china has you covered

although car brain infects like rabies once a tiny bit gets in the system

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

china has you covered

although car brain infects like rabies once a tiny bit gets in the system
given the unreliability of public transport lately i caught myself considering going to driving school and what size of car I would need to avoid being crushed by all the bigger ones. hosed up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

given the unreliability of public transport lately i caught myself considering going to driving school and what size of car I would need to avoid being crushed by all the bigger ones. hosed up.

Get the GMC Sierra Denali with special edition pedestrian shredder grill

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

it's fun to pretend

mawarannahr posted:

yeah this is something I was thinking about the other day- not only are smaller affordable cars disappearing in the US as the profit motives to only sell upmarket Big Stupid Vehicles wipe them out but if you're driving a Mitsubishi Mirage or Nissan Versa you're taking your life in your hands every time you're on the road around all the drunken/distracted Ram 2500 drivers or whatever other bigass dipshit trucks driving around

if you're driving an older car from before they improved safey via more side airbags/structural rigidity then like extra RIP to you my friend

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mawarannahr posted:

I'm guessing this is gonna gently caress things up and result in further disproportionate degradation of service in already underserved areas, rural job loss, people dying from undelivered medicines, and postal getting more expensive and less reliable
DeJoy: USPS needs ‘long overdue’ network changes to keep up with reform goals

It's a SERVICE. it's not supposed to have to be concerned about PROFIT. gently caress me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zodium posted:

Tech workers react to UPS drivers landing a $170,000-a-year package with a mixture of anger and admiration

going to be more of this as the west continues to lose control of the periphery and the ruling class needs fewer bureaucrats to administrate the imperialist machinery.

ahahahaha of course this was going to happen, remember the whining about the Google chef?

(Early on in Google's history, an executive chef at their cafeteria became a millionaire via stock options and the computer failsons poo poo a brick over a mere chef profiting from his calculated risk. They changed how stock options work because of it.)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

:lol:are you loving kidding me dude? Capital is already here and has BEEN keeping computer touchers on a leash! do you have any idea how much of an obvious grift the IT Certification Industry is? literally just making bank off of people constantly failing and retaking poorly proofreaded (and at this point randomly AI generated) exams and accusing the poor saps of :airquote:Not Studying Hard Enough:airquote: even though they spent almost two months rent in study material

but we love our precious meritocracy don't we folks?

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Aug 10, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm almost certain that delivering for ups an absolutely grueling job because those guys are moving thousands of pounds worth of packages a day and probably work 10-12 hour shifts when you take into account all the commute time to and from the hub

it should probably be a quarter million a year

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

thankfully the blind thread that article refers to has perfectly sane people who think the same thing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

triple sulk posted:

i'm almost certain that delivering for ups an absolutely grueling job because those guys are moving thousands of pounds worth of packages a day and probably work 10-12 hour shifts when you take into account all the commute time to and from the hub

not to mention the lack of AC

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmao at the city of Seattle picking up the tab for Kia and Hyundai

2nd Round: Kia and Hyundai Steering Wheel Lock Give Away - SPD Blotter

spdblotter.seattle.gov posted:

In response to a rise in vehicle thefts involving certain Kia and Hyundai models, SPD’s Crime Prevention Coordinators will be giving away steering wheel locks at each of its five precincts this month. The devices are available at no charge to people who live or work in the City of Seattle, with a focus on those who own or lease a Kia or Hyundai vehicle.

DATES & TIMES:
  • Tuesday, August 29th : 2:30p.m. – 6:30p.m. 
  • Saturday, September 2nd : 9:30a.m. – 11:30a.m. 

LOCATIONS: 
  • East Precinct – 1519 12th Avenue 
  • West Precinct – 810 Virginia Street 
  • North Precinct – 10049 College Way N 
  • South Precinct – 3001 S Myrtle Street 
  • Southwest Precinct – 2300 SW Webster Street 

Due to limited availability, locks cannot be set aside or held. Only one lock allowed per person.
Please go to the pick-up event scheduled for the precinct where you live or work.
For more information, contact the Crime Prevention Coordinator assigned to your precinct.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there's been a real shift over the last 18-24 months on both blind and hacker news with all the devs finally realizing that they too are the worker class

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

I'm begging you please, PLEASE just make an electric compact

I'm literally just looking into converting an old compact with a prius motor. You can get about 120hp out of them with a little bit of work.

Just need the batteries for it.

And the mechanical know how to put it together.

Apr 7, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Tech work scales a lot more than law, banking or consulting since you're not pinning each staff to a specific set of billables or P&L

It's also the field where I've seen the most folks retire early in their 40s - there's less of a lifestyle creep that I've seen with other PMCs

PMC jobs are largely hereditary and it turns out that a lawyer’s salary doesn’t buy what it bought your dad in the eighties

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Joey Steel posted:

I'm literally just looking into converting an old compact with a prius motor. You can get about 120hp out of them with a little bit of work.

Just need the batteries for it.

And the mechanical know how to put it together.

What's the advantage of putting a Prius drivetrain into another car instead of just driving the Prius?

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the advantage of putting a Prius drivetrain into another car instead of just driving the Prius?

you'd not be driving a prius

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure people can do their own major auto work while they work multiple jobs and try to find a parking spot in their apartment complex for a beater car and parts.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

used cars under $15k make up less than 2% of the used car market now

:greenangel:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Correct. Utility workers/operators in power/water/gas should all make 200k and computer touchers should make 5 figures. but goons aint ready for that conversation

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
anything not to drive an economy car I guess

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i am harry posted:

lmao

I paid like $20k for a VW Golf with all kinds of fancy accoutrements in 2019. it was used but only had like 3000 miles on it. hopefully by not driving much anymore the car will last me 50 years

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Twerk from Home posted:

Space to convert it to fully electric. The only real limit that the prius had to bring it fully electric is that you need a bigger battery.

Those motors were overbuilt to hell and back, ditto inverters. With a slightly beefier cooling system than stock, you can basically build an entire EV around them.

Lexus hybrids like the gs450h are even more ridiculous, I am working on one to convert an old jag and it is rated to about 330 horsepower/250 kw.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

i am harry posted:

China, a market in which comparable car models to the US has historically been priced higher than the US with poo poo like selling Buick Regals for $35k US in 2008, has a Volkswagen compact electric available new for under $17k USD: https://electrek.co/2023/08/10/volkswagen-id-3-sales-surge-over-300-after-price-cuts/

quote:

The ID.3 is powered by a single rear electric motor with 170 hp (125 kW) and 310 Nm peak torque. With a 57.3 kWh battery pack, the ID.3 has a 450 km (280 miles) CLTC range.

It's not an AWD super fast monster. It's just a car.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

If I hadn't been lucky/smart and bought a cheap new Hyundai at 4k under sticker during the major Covid lockdown when everywhere was a ghost town, I'd be hopping mad right now. The car industry has priced out 75% of their customer base.

Apr 7, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

If I hadn't been lucky/smart and bought a cheap new Hyundai at 4k under sticker during the major Covid lockdown when everywhere was a ghost town, I'd be hopping mad right now. The car industry has priced out 75% of their customer base.

It's fine, Premium Consumer will buy it all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

China, a market in which comparable car models to the US has historically been priced higher than the US with poo poo like selling Buick Regals for $35k US in 2008, has a Volkswagen compact electric available new for under $17k USD: https://electrek.co/2023/08/10/volkswagen-id-3-sales-surge-over-300-after-price-cuts/

This is why they will crumple before the almighty dollar.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure people can do their own major auto work while they work multiple jobs and try to find a parking spot in their apartment complex for a beater car and parts.

I mean, yes. I am turning an underused automotive garage at my uni into an open ev conversion bay, where I have the students do the design work and then they publish their plans. Already I am being asked when I can get the plans translated to Spanish here in LA.

Already got one motorcycle converted to fully electric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Meanwhile the poor Prius he took the motor from is having to make due