Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Related gripe and I think I raise it regularly: what the gently caress is the point of the Ignore function if most of the store is going to pretend you didn't do anything? I get showing ignored titles in top sales lists or whatever, but if I put entire shovelware devs on ignore I would love if you stopped showing me their bullshit every time I do a discovery queue or in these sales. I want to see real games. This is why I am digging into these lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Videoverse just came out a few days ago. As a certified Forums Sicko, I enjoyed the GameFAQS / Miiverse fictional community it set up in the demo. Anyone else giving it a shot?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hwurmp posted:

Being A DIIK

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

claw game handjob posted:

Related gripe and I think I raise it regularly: what the gently caress is the point of the Ignore function if most of the store is going to pretend you didn't do anything? I get showing ignored titles in top sales lists or whatever, but if I put entire shovelware devs on ignore I would love if you stopped showing me their bullshit every time I do a discovery queue or in these sales. I want to see real games. This is why I am digging into these lists.

Any and all algorithm on anything at all (youtube, Google, Steam, Netflix, Instagram) is meant to sell more product, whatever it is, not represent what you want to see.

One of the most hosed up things that surprises me is how readily everyone dove into having algorithms be how they get recommend things and then get mad when it shows them things they don't want to see. The only recommendations I need are here on the Steam thread :)))))

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Bad Seafood posted:

It's an easier Etrian Odyssey with Grimrock's scope and focus. The problem I have with most dungeon crawlers is they tend to wear out their welcome. I enjoy Etrian Odyssey, but I've never beaten any of them. By contrast, Potato Flowers is very briskly paced. You can have up to three characters in your party who heal to full after every encounter (and receive experience even when they die), with MP acting as the limiting factor. There's a fun variety of skills and spells, many of which synergize well with each other, and the game is very free with its information. Enemies always broadcast their intentions and targets, with an optional explanation of what every ability does, and none of them are random, so you pick and choose your fights.

It's not an overly challenging game, but it has friction, and some solid boss fights. The whole thing feels like it was deliberately designed to mitigate the busywork aspect of a lot of dungeon crawlers while keeping the crunch.

As someone who just came off of liking XCOM Chimera Squad since it cut down a lot of the stressful busywork logistics nightmare from regular XCOM, I'd say this is right up my alley and I'll definitely check it out: always nice to see short and sweet adventures like this.

Speaking of stressful busywork logistics nightmares, though, I'm currently playing Pathologic 2 and hoo boy, despite going in with a strong inkling for what this is gonna be (aka a nightmare for savescummer perfectionists) and trying to head it off at the pass with a chilled out live-with-it attitude, I just can't help but feel my sanity getting chipped away. It kind of reminds me of playing MMOs and live service games, the way they bleed into your life and make you dedicate part of your brainpower to scheduling and remembering things constantly, ruining other daily activities. As much as I want to complete a full run, I just don't know if I can: it seriously feels unhealthy and draining...which, thinking about it, is probably the highest praise the developers can hear in terms of immersion? Hats off, I guess. Vampyr and Disco Elysium ain't nothing compared to this: they eventually let up with the foot on your throat, whereas this just keeps putting more pressure.

...is it weird that I'm kind of enjoying getting into fist fights? Always a bummer when someone pulls out a blade, though: talk about rude.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 9, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

KakerMix posted:

Any and all algorithm on anything at all (youtube, Google, Steam, Netflix, Instagram) is meant to sell more product, whatever it is, not represent what you want to see.

A good recommendation algorithm shows you things you want to see. Steam's just bad at it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a new update for Quake II incoming? https://steamdb.info/app/2320/depots/

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I mean, yes, I get that. I want to know why there is a function which does work, is clearly being tracked to some degree and hides the games/devs on many search functions and lists, and yet half the time just goes "hey I know you told us to gently caress off with the entire catalog of the Sex with Hitler guys but how about SwH Five, man? Eh? Eh?"

It even shows the poo poo is ignored if I hover over it to tell them to gently caress off! It knows! It's flagged! God damnit!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

There is a new update for Quake II incoming? https://steamdb.info/app/2320/depots/
it's getting a remaster like Quake I got, it'll be announced officially at QuakeCon

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e;fb

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

A good recommendation algorithm shows you things you want to see. Steam's just bad at it.

The tags “singleplayer” and “multiplayer” both feature prominently in your steam library. have I got some recommendations for you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

it's getting a remaster like Quake I got, it'll be announced officially at QuakeCon

Yeah! I'm really excited for this. I don't like to put too much into rumors, but this one feels really strong and will for sure happen this week.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! I'm really excited for this. I don't like to put too much into rumors, but this one feels really *strogg and will for sure happen this week.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Owl Inspector posted:

The tags “singleplayer” and “multiplayer” both feature prominently in your steam library. have I got some recommendations for you!
Hey this is nothing like anything in your 1,000+ library, but other people are buying it!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ultrafilter posted:

Not if you brought something.

"Good" for you and "good" for the company are very different things. It's a zero sum game because the entire point is to be an advertising tool and advertisers never know when to stop. If they show you poo poo you don't want to see and you buy something that's a win regardless of how you feel about it.

I framed it as a a sorta joke but I wasn't lying when I said this thread is all the recommendations I need. I have infinite amounts of entertainment surrounding me that I will never even begin to make a dent in as long as I live, I'd rather listen to what actual people enjoy vs. what the billboard wants me to buy.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Sure, but where on earth is the intersection of the Venn diagram of "I may buy this" and " I don't want to see this"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands seems cool & good

status effects taking up space on the ATB bar is a neat idea

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sighence posted:

Sure, but where on earth is the intersection of the Venn diagram of "I may buy this" and " I don't want to see this"?

Yeah if Steam was an Engagement platform then it would make sense for the algorithm to feed you content that you don't want but will get you to watch/comment, but. I don't think anyone is going to rage buy a game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ghostlight posted:

Hey this is nothing like anything in your 1,000+ library, but other people are buying it!

Oh you might enjoy a popular game from a unfamiliar genre? Never heard of that happening before.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

look I have over 1000 games in my collection and they are all Sex with Hitlers. I don't want Sex with Stalin.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

Sex with Hitlers.

*Sexes With Hitler

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Speaking of Hitler

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1026420/view/3657538376245882576

quote:

We hope to be able to share the details of what this really means with you very soon, but in the meantime we would like to ask everyone to REFRAIN from buying WARSAW going forward. We feel that the changes to both the game's contents and the pricing will be to everyone's favour, but in order for you to best take advantage of that - we would like everyone to not buy the game until the next time we post the message here.

Never seen a please don't buy our game message before

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sighence posted:

The intersection of games you might buy but wouldn't choose to be shown would include stuff that's heavily marketed and/or is part of the zeitgeist. Personally I've bought a couple games where I was pretty sure they weren't for me but I just kept seeing them and hearing people go on about them to the point that I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I especially have this habit of wanting to buy multiple things when I buy one thing. If I'm making a purchase I'll check my wishlist and whatever sales are on to see if anything interests me and maybe Steam will show me something and I'll go "sure lets check this game out I keep seeing everywhere".

The more susceptible a person is to it the mere act of being shown something over and over could get someone to buy it eventually. Or maybe the game has a really interesting thumbnail or premise that makes a person buy it on impulse. Etc.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 10, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Begemot posted:

They made a whole new set of sprites for every character for the pachinko machine! It's absolutely terrible.

Extra baffling because they already made perfectly good non-Ryukishi art for the PS3 version. They just decided to do it again, but worse.

I'm still in shock that you were literally, actually talking about art from an umineko pachinko machine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's especially baffling when you consider the same people published Higurashi on Steam and kept that game's updated PS3 art.

Umineko's good though, easy recommend.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Steam put some "Adult Only" title in my recommendation section.
Idon't own any adult or M rated titles except Myst what gives?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

are you sure you didn't accidentally buy Tryst: the sexquel to Myst?

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you like myst you're clearly a masochist, although maybe not as much as someone who likes riven

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ramie posted:

are you sure you didn't accidentally buy Tryst: the sexquel to Myst?

I always struggle with the bead puzzle in that one

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

when the hell are we going to get a pyst remaster?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No Myst is a M rated title Pyst is P rated

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

when the hell are we going to get a pyst remaster?

Still holding out for Driven.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

happy quake 2 day

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Upsidads posted:

Steam put some "Adult Only" title in my recommendation section.
Idon't own any adult or M rated titles except Myst what gives?

It means you've turned on adult only content here:
https://store.steampowered.com/account/preferences
Turn it off again if you don't want to see that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxH61UshHk

free update on steam if you already owned quake 2

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you liked Pyst (or at least the idea of Pyst) you should play The Looker

mystes
May 31, 2006

if they're going to remaster quake II shouldn't they at least try to make it look better than quake III?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

if they're going to remaster quake II shouldn't they at least try to make it look better than quake III?
it's a remaster not a remake

it's similar to how nightdive remastered quake 1 and it's gonna whip rear end

also a new expansion included, from MachineGames!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

if remastered isn't just supposed to be a term for a remake what exactly is it supposed to mean in this context? the original assets with just the engine replaced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I didn't see it on steam but I guess they just replaced the regular quake 2 listing.